Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like Leonardo is the bait favorite turtle. His color is blue and he has katanas as his weapon. I call it bait because as soon as you like Leo the most, you realize that the entire series is about dunking on him. He's the Cyclops of the Ninja Turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the big selling point of the show for a few months has been that Raphael is the leader on this one.

The designs are a bit out there, but I'm starting to like them. I just wish there wasn't so much influence from the Michael Bay movie.

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like Leonardo is the bait favorite turtle. His color is blue and he has katanas as his weapon. I call it bait because as soon as you like Leo the most, you realize that the entire series is about dunking on him. He's the Cyclops of the Ninja Turtles.

I can see this as them trying to make Leo the fan-favorite. No longer shackled by the inherent Cyclops in him, he is now also the cool kid and a rebel.

What always matters the most is Mikey, anyway. And I'm interested enough on this take with him being an artist. Mutant Artist In NYC has quite a bit of potential. Hm, maybe that's what caused the 2K12 series to kinda fall apart, Mikey was said to be a great martial artist, but that was that for him, nothing else of note compared to, say, 2K3 where he also was the Warrior GodKing of the Multiverse.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 1, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/Mech_Aniki/status/959080585523290120

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gotta get that pointless dig at Sophie Campbell in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zivqZP3oTw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ENUWAxzc0&t=141s

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It sucks that every time they make a Ninja Turtles cartoon they burn all proof of the older cartoons and execute anybody who admits to having seen them but wygd

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh no! Can you imagnie if they made another TMNT character black? Like Baxter Stockman?! The SJWs control everyt-

oh wait, nobody gave a poo poo? Huh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no! Can you imagnie if they made another TMNT character black? Like Baxter Stockman?! The SJWs control everyt-

Baxter Stockman was black originally, it's the 87 tv show that made him a Jerry Lewis character.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, Original cartoon Baxter Stockman was them whitewashing the character.

And changing literally everything about him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Racists will continuously defend whitewashing characters but you change one side character to black and suddenly their whole racist history is being threatened. I mean it should be threatened, because its racist and bad, but drat, I wonder what will happen people start actually dismantling racist institutions and philosophies in society.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone who doesn't care about TMNT I think those turtle designs look awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Hey now, Original cartoon Baxter Stockman was them whitewashing the character.

And changing literally everything about him.

I learned something today. Point still stands though, just in reverse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I figured out what that picture reminds me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ExT1pGF03E

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:randno:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like obviously that looks like ridiculous garbage but I'd rather laugh at the "my childhood!!" crowd than nitpick a cartoon I'm never going to watch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Like obviously that looks like ridiculous garbage but I'd rather laugh at the "my childhood!!" crowd than nitpick a cartoon I'm never going to watch.

You don't have to pick a side.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The fun thing about TMNT is that it can work for any age. Violent “adult” poo poo, cutesy toddler poo poo, whatever.

April waffles back and forth between African American and a white girl with a crazy perm in the Mirage comics. That’s a non-issue.

Taking design cues from the absolute worst angular garbage TV has to offer, the off-putting mystic Ninja Tribunal season nobody saw, and the awful internet-soaked Back to the Sewers season that finally put a bullet in the head of the 2003 cartoon? That’s an issue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All other design decisions aside, I do think giving Raph a pair of tonfas is a cool replacement for his sai because of the age-old problem of needing him to either fight robots only in a PG setting or needing to constantly explain, choreograph, or animate how the Sai are for blunt striking and are not tiny rapiers.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

They should give him a jitte. Specifically, Umezawa's Jitte. I would like to see a TMNT/MtG crossover.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

why are you letting us showing us the opinions of these turds. Half the point of this comic forum is to not have to listen to these kinds of dipshits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The new April's fine, although the whole new style and new designs for the turtles doesn't make me very hopeful. No knowing how it's gonna be until it's out though.

purple death ray posted:

It sucks that every time they make a Ninja Turtles cartoon they burn all proof of the older cartoons and execute anybody who admits to having seen them but wygd

Yeah, the yellow jumpsuit industry never recovered from back in 2003 when they rounded up and slaughtered all the fans of the old April.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hemingway To Go! posted:

why are you letting us showing us the opinions of these turds. Half the point of this comic forum is to not have to listen to these kinds of dipshits.

because an mra moron asking if a cartoon about mutant ninja turtles is for small kids is funny

and it generates conversation

what are you contributing

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
edit: whoops wrong thread, the only good animated Ninja Turtles in the past 20 years is Turtles Forever, though

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lightning Lord posted:

They should give him a jitte. Specifically, Umezawa's Jitte. I would like to see a TMNT/MtG crossover.

Jesus, we don't want to make the other Turtles redundant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inkspot posted:

April waffles back and forth between African American and a white girl with a crazy perm in the Mirage comics.

Does she? Understand, I couldn't care less what her ethnicity is in any particular adaptation, but I don't remember her race fluctuating in the comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive never read em myself so i cant back any of this up but this thread came across my feed earlier

https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/959153481327112192

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmm, interesting. The way eastman and laird draw humans has never been particularly clear, so I didn't really latch onto those racial signifiers.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She was partially modeled (and named?) after a woman Eastman was dating at the time, who I believe was... mixed, at least? I've read her original ethnicity is one of the many points of contention between Eastman and Laird, who insists she was always meant to be of Irish descent, hence the surname O'Neil.

Personally, who cares. It's like people getting up in arms over "MJ" in Homecoming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Professor Wayne posted:

edit: whoops wrong thread, the only good animated Ninja Turtles in the past 20 years is Turtles Forever, though

The recent series was good. As was the 2003 series for the most part.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As long as Donatello isn't a creep in this one, I'm for the new cartoon.

I like how they made each one a different kind of turtle.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

As soon as I saw that I heard the laugh at the beginning of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UclCCFNG9q4

(Clint Eastwood)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know how anyone could think that Donatello looks good at all. He's just kind of flying through the air sitting crosslegged while April steers/rides on his back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The "my childhood!" crowd will never cease to amaze me. Like, so they are remaking a thing. It doesn't remove whatever it was you enjoyed, be it a movie or TV show or toy line. Go seek those out.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just to mention, these pictures NEVER seem to look good. Let's wait until we see some animation first; there're a bunch of series that looked like rear end in the initial reveal, but ended up looking much better in motion.

Though this still does look pretty bad.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

deong posted:

" Raphael, as the oldest and biggest brother, he is the leader full of enthusiasm and bravado; Leonardo, the self-professed ‘coolest’ brother possesses irreverent charm and a rebel heart; Donatello, a mechanical genius and tech wizard whose ninja skills are second only to his coding; and Michelangelo, the youngest brother, a skateboarder and artist who is wild and imaginative. "

They mixed up Raph and Leo.. Hopefully the newsarama hosed up and not the show...

Huh. So this is a thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TMNT has always had a really muddled heritage too, it started out as a half-joke half super serious comic, but the version that most people are familiar with was the licensed cartoon made to sell toys that totally reinvented everything. Then the 2003 cartoon leaned more heavily towards the original comic, but also fused it with the 80s cartoon, and then the CGI cartoon, which was mostly its own thing, but still pretty good.

And that's before taking into account the Archie Comics, the anime, the movies, the other movies, and the dumb concert tour.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SlothfulCobra posted:

TMNT has always had a really muddled heritage too, it started out as a half-joke half super serious comic, but the version that most people are familiar with was the licensed cartoon made to sell toys that totally reinvented everything. Then the 2003 cartoon leaned more heavily towards the original comic, but also fused it with the 80s cartoon, and then the CGI cartoon, which was mostly its own thing, but still pretty good.

And that's before taking into account the Archie Comics, the anime, the movies, the other movies, and the dumb concert tour.

The IDW comics, the Saban show, the time they fought the power rangers...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This new cartoon has a lot of work to do if it wants to be as terrible as the Saban live action show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Venus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Splinter looks awful