Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I don't remember Carrot hating horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GodFish posted:

I don't remember Carrot hating horses

Carrot doesn't hate anything. But he's not particularly fond of them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well, dwarfs aren't big on horses as a rule.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

tooterfish posted:

Dwarves generally aren't big on anything, you still measure them from head to toe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine CMOT Dibbler also found them very very useful.

i didn't realize he had a go at an upscale eatery

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nobody taking a break for soup though, right?

No, but the Japanese "research" ship is researching how many whales can we Watch in a week.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Dwarves generally aren't big on anything, you still measure them from head to toe.
:thejoke:

I was doing a subtle Pratchett.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

didn't realize that Nation existed

it is Very Good

Nation is one of my favorite Pratchett books. Maybe #1.

It's so very, very, very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

The Pratchett is coming from inside the thread!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine CMOT Dibbler also found them very very useful.

Dibbler confirmed as operator of Tesco's supply chain.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/02/discworld-terry-pratchetts-city-watch-headed-for-tv-adaptation
Looks like work on the watch series is underway again

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wish they'd stop bloody announcing, make a thing and have a trailer.

(I also am 99% sure they're going to totally gently caress it up, so hey.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cxZaYRpgI

I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wish it'd happen yes because this on and off again thing is bloody cruel. I want to see Detritus salute terribly on my telly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This doesn’t even read like an announcement, it’s more just a ‘this name is attached’. I feel like the journalist put it out there to keep the idea of the series fresh in people’s minds.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aaaagh, there's a line in Good Omens about Crowley getting rid of nannies with "a wildcat tube strike." For the last decade and a half I just sort of assumed that "strike" meant "attack" and that a "wildcat tube" was some weird british 80's-era term for a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. I JUST WORKED OUT that no, Crowley didn't explode the nannies, he just utilised unexpected industrial action by subway workers to delay their arrival. Aaagggh.

Anyway, carry on.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Tree Bucket posted:

Aaaagh, there's a line in Good Omens about Crowley getting rid of nannies with "a wildcat tube strike." For the last decade and a half I just sort of assumed that "strike" meant "attack" and that a "wildcat tube" was some weird british 80's-era term for a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. I JUST WORKED OUT that no, Crowley didn't explode the nannies, he just utilised unexpected industrial action by subway workers to delay their arrival. Aaagggh.

Anyway, carry on.

It's amazing how your brain fills that kind of thing in without effort on "your" part. For years (at least 20 years!) I just assumed that Marcellus Wallace could contact a group of fearsome criminal plumbers of some sort, naturally plumbers would have pliers and blowtorches and hammers etc. Ideal for torturing pawn shop owning rapists.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/973530331662909440

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Raising a glass today. Happy Birthday, Sir Terry. You are greatly missed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finishing the Shepherd's Crown was rough though. It was several times when I considered putting the book away.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

Finishing the Shepherd's Crown was rough though. It was several times when I considered putting the book away.

I'm glad I waited to check it out from the library. Sure, my shelves will be incomplete, but gently caress it. For me, Discworld ends with I Shall Wear Midnight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure this sounds dumb but I'm still not ready to read it :(

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Thought it was just me...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

I'm sure this sounds dumb but I'm still not ready to read it :(

tooterfish posted:

Thought it was just me...

It will always be a masterpiece unless you collapse the waveform.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

It will always be a masterpiece unless you collapse the waveform.

It's actually really good and a much better end to the Discworld than Raising Steam.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway, carry on.

I literally only figured it out months ago when I was watching some British history doc. "Wildcat tube strike" had puzzled me for eighteen years.

I'm reading all the Tiffany books finally. I never read Hat Full of Sky for one reason or another, but I finished it yesterday and it was really great. I'm at I Shall Wear Midnight now and it's depressing to see the writing quality start dropping. I'm still wary about Shepherd's Crown, too.... I don't want to read the last Discworld book ever.

(But if it's better than Raising Steam then I'm sure I'll enjoy it)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So the Troll Bridge guys dropped a trailer looks like the end is in sight.

I got a little nostalgia emotional for this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That looks really good.

It's easier to make a good adaptation by expanding the source material than by

Ok, the Hobbit and LotR movies tell us this isn't necessarily the case. But it's easier to make a Pratchett adaptation that way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw loving hell. The MacAbre. Macabre.

Aaaargh.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xander77 posted:

That looks really good.

It's easier to make a good adaptation by expanding the source material than by

Ok, the Hobbit and LotR movies tell us this isn't necessarily the case. But it's easier to make a Pratchett adaptation that way.

That looks amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hanales posted:

That looks amazing.

I saw the Making Of four years ago. It's pretty good alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got a little nostalgia emotional for this.

Oh wow that looks fantastic actually

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm rereading Good Omens for the umpteenth time and there's a lot of stuff in it that makes me very worried about making it into a show that holds up in 2018. The casual firearms gags at Warlock's birthday and at the manor are bound to make people queasy in a way they wouldn't have in the 90s. A big catalyst for Adam to start exercising his powers is learning about nuclear power, which in light of global warming issues seems frankly quaint, as does all the new-age conspiracy stuff. And the riders' of the apocalypse activities are... not so much out of date as there are some more obvious situations you could tie them to these days, to put it diplomatically.

Don't get me wrong, there are some immediately obvious ways you could update all that. Will they do it, is the question. And will it make things darker than they need to be, or does that just come with the territory of making apocalypse entertainment in 2018?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Are they not going to set the show in the 80s/90s?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AlphaDog posted:

Are they not going to set the show in the 80s/90s?

Why would they? It would be an unnecessary addition, to make it a period piece.

The minutiae the poster above wants are just that, lines that can be cut in a moment, or easily rewritten.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In the photos they released Crowley most certainly dresses like it's the 80s. That's gotta be a bummer, you wait 5960 years for your style to come along and then they end it all.

Shadwell is described as an indiscriminate racist, yet likeable in a quaint way. And Agnes Nutter is more or less a suicide bomber. Look, all I'm saying is, some of the small things that set the tone of Good Omens are not gonna be met with a lot of acceptance anymore.

e: I do trust Neil Gaiman a lot more to pull it off than I would any other writer, even if he was just adapting someone else's book.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 13, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sadly "indiscriminate racist, yet likeable in a quaint way" is probably more acceptable these days than you like to think.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Sadly "indiscriminate racist, yet likeable in a quaint way" is probably more acceptable these days than you like to think.

More like "he's a bit too amiable but at least he's indiscriminately racist!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you want some comedy regarding Agnes Nutter, watch the movie The Pit and the Pendulum with Lance Henriksen. They straight up ripped off the Agnes burning scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
New trailer for Good Omens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSXlNRRoGU