Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lost my retainer posted:

don't miners underclock / undervolt the cards ?

For some reason this got me fantasizing about starting a company that uses a bunch of computational gibberish to make it sound like they're going to mine all the bitcoins at once while actually promising to mine them slower than anyone else. "Currently bitcoin mining is running at a difficulty of O(n), but by reducing it to a massively connected traveling salesman problem, we believe we can increase that to O(n^2*2^n). By using our patented hypothreading technology, we can convert this typically highly parallel problem and run it in an entirely serial environment, significantly increasing AWS income per bitcoin".

*tries to guess hashes using dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Trig Discipline posted:

For some reason this got me fantasizing about starting a company that uses a bunch of computational gibberish to make it sound like they're going to mine all the bitcoins at once while actually promising to mine them slower than anyone else. "Currently bitcoin mining is running at a difficulty of O(n), but by reducing it to a massively connected traveling salesman problem, we believe we can increase that to O(n^2*2^n). By using our patented hypothreading technology, we can convert this typically highly parallel problem and run it in an entirely serial environment, significantly increasing AWS income per bitcoin".

Did you invert the voltage to achieve maximum potential on the rails? I will only purchase if your flops are clocked over the standard core specs.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Alpha Mayo posted:

Also nVidia Pascal cards (10X0) are the only used mining cards I'd consider buying. They don't really let you overclock them or even overheat them to the point of damage. GPU Boost will override any dumb settings someone might try to apply to the card, and if the card starts running hot it down volts and downclocks itself to stay within a safe temperature range. The only way around this limitation is a custom VBIOS but the flash programmer does signature checking. The only way you can get a custom bios on those cards is to have flash programming hardware.

AMD cards aren't competitive right now for gaming and they let you flash any dumb bios you want to them.

Yeah my point was enjoy the super cheap 1070/1080 cards if when it crashes. Modern Nvidia GPU's are fine running full throttle 24/7 as long as you don't gently caress with the BIOS or hardware mods.
Go check the price on a brand new one right now for a laugh.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Nvidia GPUs really do run amazing. They sit at like 50% fan speed while mining.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

Did you invert the voltage to achieve maximum potential on the rails? I will only purchase if your flops are clocked over the standard core specs.

We inverted it twice just to be sure!

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

I think I've heard about a company doing things this way (but in a different market), though its name escapes me right now. The product has not been delivered yet, but they made lots of money, and many customers are very optimistic about the progress!

Few things can be leaned from them:

1) Start selling jpegs of the product immediately
2) To make it punch above its weight, the TDP must triple every second :frog:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Is anyone here buying the dip?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This is the top comment from the top post at my favorite indoctrination site, /r/bitcoinbeginngers

quote:

TLDR at bottom.

Most of these comments are trash. It was a combination of things.

If you look at the past bitcoin has a major correction annually around December and January. Throw in some technical analysis, it's in wave two of the first MAJOR Elliot Impulse wave.

Coin Market Cap removing Korean Exchanges from price averages caused panic selling.

China and Korea banning fud drove the price down further.

Major hedge fund managers got involved with the futures contracts and drove the price down to win their futures.

Most good analysts are projecting the correction to end between $7,000 - $8,000. Once it reaches this point the third Elliot Impulse wave should begin (wave three is usually the longest and most powerful, never the shortest.) My prediction is after the 7k to 8k range is hit there will be a parabolic run up to around $30 - $35k.

TLDR: It's an expected annual correction that was intensified by a lot of new investors panic selling due to a lot of FUD news. $7,000 - $8,000 Is a consensus bottom from a lot of analysts.

Who are these analysts you ask?

I'll tell you,

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

zaurg posted:

Is anyone here buying the dip?

no I'm more of a sour cream and guacamole person myself

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Dipping is a nasty habit

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
I cut out the middleman and just burn my money in a bonfire

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wassbix posted:

I cut out the middleman and just burn my money in a bonfire

At least you can roast marshmallows.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Well, glad I sold everything a few days ago and still made a $70 profit.

BUT if I had sold in December and not rebought on a dip (along with a bunch of other day trade screw ups) I would've banked... $12,000 profit. :doh:

Oh well atleast I didn't lose my initial investment. I won't be touching the poop for awhile now.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
does anyone ever give a reason Bitcoin has an "annual dip" or did they just notice it crashed around the same time twice and decided it was the will of the blockchain

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

shiksa posted:

does anyone ever give a reason Bitcoin has an "annual dip" or did they just notice it crashed around the same time twice and decided it was the will of the blockchain

Yeah dude the King of Bitcoin will address this in his upcoming 2018 state of the crypto address :confused:

needless to say the council of bishops is very concerned about the "super blue blood annual dip"

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

shiksa posted:

basically, there's no loving reason for an "annual dip" but they're seeing causation in a correlation

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

shiksa posted:

HODLers gotta encourage everyone around them to HODL because they don't want to be caught HODLing the bag.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
can't wait till they're hodling around a trash can fire for warmth

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure wish bitcoin would go away so I could afford to build a new computer without a 5 year old graphics card.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Novo posted:

can't wait till they're hodling around a trash can fire for warmth

can't burn bitcoins though how will they keep warm?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You know what guys... *puffs pipe* it’s only money... Yes I regret putting grandma’s inheritance at a high price and panic selling at a low price... but you know what? I believe in crypto, and these slashed wrists were just a spur of the moment thing... Crypto is amazing...

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

shiksa posted:

Because it's Chinese New Year and people are preparing to sacrifice bitcoin to their ancestors.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Where does HODL come from? Was it just a typo that they decided to run with or does it mean something else?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GutBomb posted:

Where does HODL come from? Was it just a typo that they decided to run with or does it mean something else?

Its a meme from reddit. Its the philosophy that if you and everyone else holds and never sells, bitcoin can do nothing but gain value.

Its a saying for rubes who want to get left holding the bag. Its also a buzzword for bitcoin associated businesses and associates because hodlers are going to buy buy buy and you want them to be buying your funbucks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

GutBomb posted:

a typo that they decided to run with

This is crypto, you know in your heart that the stupidest option is the most correct

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

shiksa posted:

Buttcoins are useless, so you can't do fundamental analysis on them. This leaves you with 2 options:
1) guess "up" or "down"
2) use complicated clever-sounding things from technical analysis (like "third Elliot Impulse wave" etc), which reassure you that you are a smart investor (but you will probably get no better result then option 1).

Note: when buying buttcoins for real (or toxxing), both options will most likely be wrong.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I really liked Hold On for Dear Life

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sickening posted:

Its a meme from reddit. Its the philosophy that if you and everyone else holds and never sells, bitcoin can do nothing but gain value.

Its a saying for rubes who want to get left holding the bag. Its also a buzzword for bitcoin associated businesses and associates because hodlers are going to buy buy buy and you want them to be buying your funbucks.

You know what meme I am glad died completely? That stupid cringeworthy loving bearwhale meme from a few years ago

At least they stick to the mostly slightly annoying HODL and MOON memes now.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

shiksa posted:

Maintenance time for the bots that inflate the price daily.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Sickening posted:

It originally came from a forum post:

To be an effective crypto trader it's important you be down with the memes.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i only watched the first 20 seconds of this, so i have no idea what comes next

but the first 20 seconds are real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhUn7nh33Q

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sickening posted:

my meme and public reaction value-based cryptocurrency

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You know what meme I am glad died completely? That stupid cringeworthy loving bearwhale meme from a few years ago

At least they stick to the mostly slightly annoying HODL and MOON memes now.

The bearwhale thing was funny though because buttcoiners convinced themselves they defeated them by giving them all of their money.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Gonna drop another 1000 tonight boys! The morning market is the perfect time to buy. Thanks for the cheap coins you rubes.

Everyone is going to want to see those vegeta memes again.

joats fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 2, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Regrettable posted:

The bearwhale thing was funny though because buttcoiners convinced themselves they defeated them by giving them all of their money.

it was one buy wall that lasted like 30 minutes

and they made paintings about it

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

i only watched the first 20 seconds of this, so i have no idea what comes next

but the first 20 seconds are real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhUn7nh33Q

I made it 7 minutes before I killed myself.

ninjaedit: posting from the ghostchain now, decentralized haunting smart contract powered by ghost farts (when you think your gonna just fart, but you poo poo your pants(mostly during the dip))

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is some weird poo poo lol

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i think we found our new soft floor :techno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006