Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yo gently caress healing on moira, do a bit of it, but people acting like you shouldn't kill everyone who gets out of position are dead wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yo gently caress healing on moira, do a bit of it, but people acting like you shouldn't kill everyone who gets out of position are dead wrong.

If your orb management is good noone should complain, you can heal and damage at once. Noone should mind you grasping a Genji out of the air.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did a game of no limits where the defending team for the point was all Moira and her poison balls made it hell. Also she can just shoot that poo poo FOREVER if total mayhem

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
In potato tier I barely have enough time to suck on my enemies with how much damage my team takes every second of being alive. Forget about using the cool death orbs, it's healing all the way down. Including the ultimate.

And when I've spent all my juice, my orb and my ult the Genji will still be there next to me, spamming the "need healing" button, like some sort of vampire, while my team hasn't advanced an inch.

Such is life.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Macaluso posted:

Did a game of no limits where the defending team for the point was all Moira and her poison balls made it hell. Also she can just shoot that poo poo FOREVER if total mayhem

Did this last night with 4 Moiras, a McCree, and a Tracer. It was a complete stomp.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Calvin's advice to Moira players on his team has been to always be using damage orb.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

teagone posted:

Calvin's advice to Moira players on his team has been to always be using damage orb.
Seriously? One of the ways I've found to help my team push is to toss out a heal orb right as they start getting injured, because they'll sometimes keep pressing forward because that's where the heals are. I've mostly been using the heal orb unless I'm completely topped off on my healbar or my team keeps running off in 6 different directions to leave me alone. I still do alright on damage, and I'll definitely use a damage orb if there's a nearby injured person who over-extended and I want to burst down, but in general I prioritize healing everyone while looking for injured/over-extended people to vamp on.

Maybe I've been playing on teams who had fewer Mercies in anticipation of the patch, because I was often sole healer or paired with a Zen or something. If there's a Mercy around I could definitely see being able to be more aggressive and looking for kills.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I think they should nerf the poo poo out of Moira's damage capabilities if just for the chance it might convince the Moira she should be trying to heal more instead of trying to be a DPS superstar.

Update: Just played my first game as Moira and for the most part tried to play her primarily as a healer. On defense the first thing I did was throw a damage orb into the enemy spawn and immediately got an achievement for it, so lol there I guess.
As far as trying to keep my team healed up it was a mostly miserable experience, the immediate benefit I could not see. We got rolled on the defense and on attack. Next game was KOTH and it was the same thing. Mostly healing felt pretty lackluster. On the second round I pretty much gave up and focused on dealing damage and from that point we pretty much destroyed them. It's too early for someone who has only two games with Moira under their belt to say, but does anyone else feel that Moira the support feels a bit anemic compared to Moira the vampire?

Constantine XI fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 1, 2018

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Constantine XI posted:

I think they should nerf the poo poo out of Moira's damage capabilities if just for the chance it might convince the Moira she should be trying to heal more instead of trying to be a DPS superstar.

Probably some more Junkrat nerfs first, as what they did so far did little to fix the oppressive parts of his kit. At least they acknowledged the issue, hopefully it won't take 4 nerfs in a row like Mercy.

Be nice to see some of the lesser used non-DPS kits get a few buffs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Seriously? One of the ways I've found to help my team push is to toss out a heal orb right as they start getting injured, because they'll sometimes keep pressing forward because that's where the heals are. I've mostly been using the heal orb unless I'm completely topped off on my healbar or my team keeps running off in 6 different directions to leave me alone. I still do alright on damage, and I'll definitely use a damage orb if there's a nearby injured person who over-extended and I want to burst down, but in general I prioritize healing everyone while looking for injured/over-extended people to vamp on.

Maybe I've been playing on teams who had fewer Mercies in anticipation of the patch, because I was often sole healer or paired with a Zen or something. If there's a Mercy around I could definitely see being able to be more aggressive and looking for kills.

I mean you could use a cooldown to get them to move forward or you could just lie to your team about a low health soldier or mercy or whatever at the back of the enemy team. And there's no cooldown on lying to your team.

Constantine XI posted:

Update: Just played my first game as Moira and for the most part tried to play her primarily as a healer. On defense the first thing I did was throw a damage orb into the enemy spawn and immediately got an achievement for it, so lol there I guess.
As far as trying to keep my team healed up it was a mostly miserable experience, the immediate benefit I could not see. We got rolled on the defense and on attack. Next game was KOTH and it was the same thing. Mostly healing felt pretty lackluster. On the second round I pretty much gave up and focused on dealing damage and from that point we pretty much destroyed them. It's too early for someone who has only two games with Moira under their belt to say, but does anyone else feel that Moira the support feels a bit anemic compared to Moira the vampire?

Just take a step back and look at this. "They should nerf the poo poo out of this hero" "just played literally my first game ever as this hero"

Moira does extremely anemic damage, the last thing she possibly needs is a damage nerf. The only way to die to moira is to be stuck like 10 seconds from cover.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 1, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I mean you could use a cooldown to get them to move forward or you could just lie to your team about a low health soldier or mercy or whatever at the back of the enemy team. And there's no cooldown on lying to your team.
If I'm playing in comp, I'm on a mic and could do that. If I'm playing in QP with some semi-moderately team-oriented people which happens every once in awhile, yeah, that's about the kind of communication I have, because I'm not that interested in calling anything out mic-wise in QP.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Moira damage is fine, as she strong enough to kill a flanker like Tracer or Genji, but not going to win matches against a tank unless she gets lucky with the orb and they don't have backup.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I've been playing a lot of Moira as I try to recover my squandered SR honor, and I think her heals are quite dope. Most people dont realize the spray is a HoT, I tend to just put out little spritzes which helps me conserve the piss tank.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Finally got some time to play since the new patch dropped and can confirm that Mercy is now boring as poo poo to play. So much for all that time invested in her; I'll play tank until they un-dumpster her.

I will never understand this statement. She's always been boring as poo poo to play. The only difference is she had an instant rez that turned teamfights, and while that was a big deal for your team, it didn't require much of anything on your part. Mechanically she plays in exactly the same style, she just has to wait a moment to rez and her Valk isn't as fast and doesn't last as long. At least when Hog got nerfed/mildly reworked it actually changed his playstyle.

Mercy has arguably the lowest skill ceiling of any hero in the game, competing maybe with Symmetra. She doesn't have to aim at all (if Mercy is using her pistol, her team has likely hosed up), 90% of her job is to just stand behind teammates holding primary fire to heal them. They've tried giving her some "trick" mechanics like hitting jump mid-Guardian Angel to de-link its directionality but it's all pretty minor. Mercy sucks.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 1, 2018

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Just take a step back and look at this. "They should nerf the poo poo out of this hero" "just played literally my first game ever as this hero"

Moira does extremely anemic damage, the last thing she possibly needs is a damage nerf. The only way to die to moira is to be stuck like 10 seconds from cover.

I fail to see the contradiction in that statement. I may not have played much Moira but I've played against and with one for almost every single match since she's been released. I hate the fact that the supposed support is better at killing than healing, and my first few matches playing her seems to confirm it.

I mean you say her dps is anemic, but someone with even halfway decent aim will be averaging 100% of their dps versus someone who has to land every shot to do the same. Add in the damage orb, no downtime reloading, and the fact that her attack heals her actually lowers the dps of whoever is attacking her makes her actual dps better than it looks on paper. So either her damage isn't bad as you say, or her healing is so crap that damage is the better alternative. But if that were the case people would just play a better support or an "actual" dps.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Constantine XI posted:

I fail to see the contradiction in that statement. I may not have played much Moira but I've played against and with one for almost every single match since she's been released. I hate the fact that the supposed support is better at killing than healing, and my first few matches playing her seems to confirm it.

Your sample size is hilariously tiny. "Absolutely nothing else changed on my quickplay match across three games except I played Moira differently" is...pretty drat unreliable.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

I will never understand this statement. She's always been boring as poo poo to play. The only difference is she had an instant rez that turned teamfights, and while that was a big deal for your team, it didn't require much of anything on your part. Mechanically she plays in exactly the same style, she just has to wait a moment to rez and her Valk isn't as fast and doesn't last as long. At least when Hog got nerfed/mildly reworked it actually changed his playstyle.

Mercy has arguably the lowest skill ceiling of any hero in the game, competing maybe with Symmetra. She doesn't have to aim at all (if Mercy is using her pistol, her team has likely hosed up), 90% of her job is to just stand behind teammates holding primary fire to heal them. They've tried giving her some "trick" mechanics like hitting jump mid-Guardian Angel to de-link its directionality but it's all pretty minor. Mercy sucks.

not every hero needs to be complex, and literally no one on earth is hitting mercy's skill ceiling even with how simple she is

it should be no surprise that losing super speed GA during valk, instant rez, and double rez makes her feel different to play, because she is now different to play

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Moira's damage adds extra heat to a push and helps with the mop-up in a won fight, but she's not usually going to take anyone out by herself unless they're hilariously out-of-position. Since she's DoT and not burst, she doesn't have the ability to secure a kill by firing off an accurate shot; it's strictly hold-and-wait.

If she needed a nerf, damage would not be the right way to nerf her.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Whether or not you have fun playing as Mercy is entirely subjective. Many people find her to be the most entertaining hero in the game. Your perception that she's a low skill hero is objectively wrong though, sorry. She's an easy hero to pick up, but there's a lot that separates a good Mercy from a bad one.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Steps to succeeding at moira: 1: control your piss

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Ravenfood posted:

Your sample size is hilariously tiny. "Absolutely nothing else changed on my quickplay match across three games except I played Moira differently" is...pretty drat unreliable.

Whatever you say. But I'm calling it now: they're going to nerf Moira's offense until she no longer feels more fun to play as a dps and people realize they should heal more with her.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I could see them limiting the duration of the damage orb, or limiting the amount of times it can bounce. Or maybe how many people it hits. But they shouldn't!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Or they could just buff the DPS of her purple grasp after she's healed with the yellow stream, which fits her theme better.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Constantine XI posted:

Whatever you say. But I'm calling it now: they're going to nerf Moira's offense until she no longer feels more fun to play as a dps and people realize they should heal more with her.
Here's the thing though: Moira NEEDS to drain the enemy team to keep the heals flowing. That's her basic design.

Also,

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

I mean you say her dps is anemic, but someone with even halfway decent aim will be averaging 100% of their dps versus someone who has to land every shot to do the same. Add in the damage orb, no downtime reloading, and the fact that her attack heals her actually lowers the dps of whoever is attacking her makes her actual dps better than it looks on paper. So either her damage isn't bad as you say, or her healing is so crap that damage is the better alternative. But if that were the case people would just play a better support or an "actual" dps.

I don't know, she seems pretty well positioned in the lineup as a powerful healer that just doesn't augment other players in the way the other healers do (ana can nano, lucio can speed or shield, mercy can boost you, zen can discord your target). Since the only direct effect on her teammates is going to be healing them, it can definitely lead to a bit more inattentiveness since once they're topped off, you're done with them and probably thinking about how to recoup those resources.

Her stats show her as a pretty reliable healer that manages to tag every enemy player but largely plays the point and doesn't appear to be off soloing the most part (dps has ~4x her solo kills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXQMdpCCbI&t=403s

I try to always have something left in the tank, but sometimes, welp, have to ignore my team to scoop some juice out of someone. So I can see how those moments of "why is the moira off chasing the dva instead of _____" stick out in people's mind.

I think she can hold her own, but her dps doesn't appear to be out of line to the point where if your interest is in killing people she'd be a good pick. There are so many more effective heroes for that, I don't know the type of person that would like killing in Moira's particularly lovely way.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

whenever i see a moira on my team i accept that i'll be solo healing. i've seen maybe one or two moira's ever on my team healing.

re: the mercy nerfs, they were obviously needed and it's nice to see support meta open up again. i still see this rework as a giant failure because she's essentially back where she started. wasn't the primary goal of this whole thing to make mercy more fun and engaging to play? she's back where she started, only worse because she threw the entire meta of the game into turmoil for half a year and now absolutely no one wants to play her. the impact of rez is what made her feel fun to play. valkyrie may be valuable, but it feels like absolute poo poo to use. one minor nitpick i have with the nerfs is they removed the sound cues for when her ult is finishing, so instead of that flourish of music she just drops out of the sky like a rock. super unsatisfying.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rand Brittain posted:

Or they could just buff the DPS of her purple grasp after she's healed with the yellow stream, which fits her theme better.

Having her right click damage scale up when her heal meter is low would be interesting (but then you'd see players purposefully dump their heals to do more damage)

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Moira hardcounters garbage Genjis, of course they want her to be nerfed

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dick Burglar posted:

Turning a teamfight by instant rezzing was not fun. That said I can accept that Valkyrie is in kind of a sorry state, but it's no worse off than some other ults. Mercy ought to be fine where she's at for right now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The entire concept of Valkyrie is really, really dumb and feels like something that you'd get to do for donating to No More Heroes servers in TF2.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Constantine XI posted:

you realize zen exists, who is a support that can consistently dish out as much more more damage than DPS characters?

In any event, she has super hard counters (mcree shooting her once in the body, once in the head, Dva eating orbs) and the only characters she really shuts down are wildly out of position heroes or genji and tracers who can't somehow out damage her.

BeeSeeBee posted:

I don't know, she seems pretty well positioned in the lineup as a powerful healer that just doesn't augment other players in the way the other healers do (ana can nano, lucio can speed or shield, mercy can boost you, zen can discord your target). Since the only direct effect on her teammates is going to be healing them, it can definitely lead to a bit more inattentiveness since once they're topped off, you're done with them and probably thinking about how to recoup those resources.

Her stats show her as a pretty reliable healer that manages to tag every enemy player but largely plays the point and doesn't appear to be off soloing the most part (dps has ~4x her solo kills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXQMdpCCbI&t=403s

I try to always have something left in the tank, but sometimes, welp, have to ignore my team to scoop some juice out of someone. So I can see how those moments of "why is the moira off chasing the dva instead of _____" stick out in people's mind.

I think she can hold her own, but her dps doesn't appear to be out of line to the point where if your interest is in killing people she'd be a good pick. There are so many more effective heroes for that, I don't know the type of person that would like killing in Moira's particularly lovely way.

Yeah you're def right about her limited engagement with team mates. Mechanically she's kinda hosed for looking around at team mates because her damage beam keeps you from looking away and while it is garbage damage, if someone is out of position enough that you can hit them for a second or two it's almost always better to. What I do to balance the two is to push forward and attack with her for a bit then just fade back behind my team, top people off, then push up again etc.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 2, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Extra Tasty posted:

whenever i see a moira on my team i accept that i'll be solo healing. i've seen maybe one or two moira's ever on my team healing.

re: the mercy nerfs, they were obviously needed and it's nice to see support meta open up again. i still see this rework as a giant failure because she's essentially back where she started. wasn't the primary goal of this whole thing to make mercy more fun and engaging to play? she's back where she started, only worse because she threw the entire meta of the game into turmoil for half a year and now absolutely no one wants to play her. the impact of rez is what made her feel fun to play. valkyrie may be valuable, but it feels like absolute poo poo to use. one minor nitpick i have with the nerfs is they removed the sound cues for when her ult is finishing, so instead of that flourish of music she just drops out of the sky like a rock. super unsatisfying.

I think this is an excellent distillation of how I feel about the rework!

Also same re: Moira.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Not every hero has to be mechanically taxing, but mercy is too simple and too boring to be a tip-top-tier must-pick. IMO it's a real drag on a game with 6 player teams.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

highmodulus posted:

Probably some more Junkrat nerfs first, as what they did so far did little to fix the oppressive parts of his kit. At least they acknowledged the issue, hopefully it won't take 4 nerfs in a row like Mercy.

Be nice to see some of the lesser used non-DPS kits get a few buffs.

Junkrat is fine now, it takes skill and aim to hit targets with the mine. A lot harder for any low skilled player to just pick him up and wreck ya, unless you’re not playing around him

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nerf these Overwhiners into the dumpster

E: Mercy is fun to play periodically becsause it’s a nice change of pace to slingshot yourself to different teammates and away from that enemy that’s trying to kill you

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Year of the pupper coming soon.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/959229939898761216

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

On a thursday? :raise:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Macaluso posted:

Idk maybe it's to cut evenly across the lunar holiday which is the 15th/16th.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Macaluso posted:

Blizzard has been releasing things on Thursday for almost 2 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Blizzard has been releasing things on Thursday for almost 2 years now.

I looked through the patches, I guess they do both tuesday and thursday. I'd love to know what decides which day