Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So from what I've seen on PTR and a few streams is that Maeiv does nothing to really stop Genji/Tracer's hypermobility, but she does still completely gently caress over less mobile assassins (which are already pretty loving terrible thanks to Genji/Tracer).

So yeah, it looks like another swing and a miss for Blizzard's design to actual gameplay here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So from what I've seen on PTR and a few streams is that Maeiv does nothing to really stop Genji/Tracer's hypermobility, but she does still completely gently caress over less mobile assassins (which are already pretty loving terrible thanks to Genji/Tracer).

So yeah, it looks like another swing and a miss for Blizzard's design to actual gameplay here.

I think the targeted void prison and tether can do plenty to lock down a genji. The bigger problem is still tracer because recall removes effects, and so none of maievs skills are likely to stick.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

E build seems like the recommended build, but I've had more luck going shurikan.

Well they nerfed shuriken damage a while back and increased mana cost, so that's why people don't take it anymore. It's still decent against tank heavy teams, since it's a lot easier to hit all 3 against big bodies which stacks faster and gets the bonus damage with that talent, and you aren't likely picking up E kill resets on tanks. I had a game the other day where it ended up being 4 tanks on the other team... and our Genji goes full E build...

Looking at Genji patchnotes, rip 3 charge 5 second cooldown dodge (now 1 charge 8 second cooldown).

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 1, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Elysium posted:

Well they nerfed shuriken damage a while back and increased mana cost, so that's why people don't take it anymore. It's still decent against tank heavy teams, since it's a lot easier to hit all 3 against big bodies which stacks faster and gets the bonus damage with that talent, and you aren't likely picking up E kill resets on tanks. I had a game the other day where it ended up being 4 tanks on the other team... and our Genji goes full E build...

Looking at Genji patchnotes, rip 3 charge 5 second cooldown dodge (now 1 charge 8 second cooldown).

lol holy poo poo.

And finally got the sharp end of the QM stick. All randos; at the start of the match we were like holy moly gonna roll these guys:

the The Butcher kept charging straight into the enemy team but worked out.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kai Tave posted:

Maiev lifeguard skin where she hits people with a live preserver and yells at them for running near the pool.

Too late!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finally played Raynor after reading about him here:

1) MVP'd once? Probably says more about the players than me... (It was QM)
2) It does force you to pay attention to the gamestate more than you might since... well there's nothing else to do than be well positioned. I'm sure there's a few times as Sylvanas where I dive in too far, thinking I can back out. No such luck here, plus the Saving Heal Every 30 Seconds is great if the other team doesn't focus fire.
3) Agree that Soldier 76 should get this kit, and move Raynor to a more Vulture themed kit.

Also 'A Card To Play' may not be the most efficient Level 20 talent, but it sure is fun to take in a game with no supports on either sides. So many Battlecruisers!

VVV Just need 6 deaths in 12 seconds to get a second Battlecruiser going before the first one finishes!

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 1, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nybble posted:

Also 'A Card To Play' may not be the most efficient Level 20 talent, but it sure is fun to take in a game with no supports on either sides. So many Battlecruisers!

We need a low death timer healer so Raynor + Leoric + Murky + TLV can be A Silly Thing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, Uther can help once every three minutes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

BrianBoitano posted:

We need a low death timer healer so Raynor + Leoric + Murky + TLV can be A Silly Thing
Could also add Alarak at 13+ for Pure Malice (+10% sadism every time a friendly hero dies, up to +40%).

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Uther actually sounds pretty good for that since he can still heal people while dead.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's why you need Vikings with Play Again so you can poo poo out Banshees.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Another idea was chogall + Auriel taking ressurect possibly? At 20, you do have half death timer on Chogall as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The coveted Murky MVP in a 3 spec/2 assassin game against 5 straight up assassins on Warhead Junction. Pro Tip: when you have Gul'dan, Kerrigan, and even Alarak on your team, do not make your solo laner Junkrat. Dude's so fragile that a single tufferfish takes off like 2/3rds of his health in a go, and the bubble means traps don't matter.

The key to winning a game like this as Murky is as follows:

1). At 10, take Octo-Grab.
2). Whenever a teamfight starts, find the enemy closest to your team and press R.
3). Enjoy a free takedown.
4). Win every teamfight.

The actual MVP though is our Nazeebo's Gargantuan which scored a triple kill by itself during a boss push. With four of the enemy team dead and a couple of our team dead, it was me and a mostly dead boss against Junkrat, so I just walked in and slapped their core with a fish until it was low enough for a nuke to finish it off.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is that UD or ranked? Those team comps :psyduck:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

Is that UD or ranked? Those team comps :psyduck:

It's quickmatch. I keep thinking about messing with unranked draft at some point just to see what it's like but I play HotS pretty casually so idk.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

RIP Garrosh :( You were the only tank I really enjoyed playing

He has such great voice work. Too bad his animations and gameplay kinda suck!

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

It's quickmatch. I keep thinking about messing with unranked draft at some point just to see what it's like but I play HotS pretty casually so idk.

UD is the casual mode for ‘let’s try to get a match that has a decent mix of dudes I guess, gently caress it’ where quickmatch feels like it is best for ‘I want to try playing this particular hero’. Both are good for screwing around and trying new things, but both can be tilting in different ways.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

UD is the casual mode for ‘let’s try to get a match that has a decent mix of dudes I guess, gently caress it’ where quickmatch feels like it is best for ‘I want to try playing this particular hero’. Both are good for screwing around and trying new things, but both can be tilting in different ways.

Yeah, I'm definitely still in the "I want to just play this hero and get used to him" stage. My pool of heroes I feel like I could confidently play in a more constructed format is still pretty small.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Guys this Kerigan is unstoppable!

*team bunches up in narrow spaces, makes no attempt to dodge her stun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Guys this Kerigan is unstoppable!

*team bunches up in narrow spaces, makes no attempt to dodge her stun

Before they ruined Garrosh and stopped me from playing tanks forever and took away my happiness, me and my friend would always go a combo of Kerrigan and Garrosh and it was awesome cause we had so many ways to stop them and keep them from running away. The best combo.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
PTR changes

https://i.imgur.com/uAsNrmq.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/7ulkl5/ptr_updated/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm glad Garrosh is dead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
These look like attempted HGC nerfs.

Cocktail seems like a weird thing to nerf on GMane given that his problem is how good he is at mercing + performing the role of a normal AA hero, and he will still have the #1 wave clear of any AA hero. I don't think it will have any impact on HGC pick rate.

Genji nerf won't change anything in HGC (imo).

Hanzo nerfs aren't enough and he will have to hit Tassadar winrates before he's balanced in HGC. Normal players will continue to complain about Hanzo's overloaded kit even as his winrate won't be great in HL, just like Genji, and they'll be sort of right.

IMO the correct nerfs to these heroes would be:
Greymane: reduced human form AA damage or make inner beast only take half effect in human form.
Genji: Replace cyber agility with his level 7 dodge + stat buffs.
Hanzo: Remove his trait OR lower the range of his AA + all of his abilities + stat buffs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 2, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They are not going to cut away a such a defining trait as, well, their Trait, to those heroes. Nerf, yes, but there's been, like, all of one hero who got a new talent ever, and it's Hammer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not saying they'll do it. Tassadar is now a 41% winrate hero to make him non-oppressive in high GM and HGC, clearly the devs seem ok with that.

They redid a Garrosh basic ability but I don't expect to see something like that again any time soon.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

No Wave posted:

These look like attempted HGC nerfs.

Cocktail seems like a weird thing to nerf on GMane given that his problem is how good he is at mercing + performing the role of a normal AA hero, and he will still have the #1 wave clear of any AA hero. I don't think it will have any impact on HGC pick rate.
A data miner says they also nerfed his Worgen Q from 135 to 126 damage.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I wish they would do something different with Tassadar because he has no place in any standard team composition now that isn’t at GM / Pro level. I’m level 25 with him and I wouldn’t touch him in any standard mode of play right now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I hate the design of his Q and his trait a lot, which is why I'm glad he's dead. But IMO the real balance problems are dimensional shift and his wave clear. Reworking dimensional shift to something like Maiev's blink would reduce the power level of his kit at higher levels dramatically and he could actually be a real (obnoxious) character at most levels of play.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

No Wave posted:

Hanzo nerfs aren't enough and he will have to hit Tassadar winrates before he's balanced in HGC. Normal players will continue to complain about Hanzo's overloaded kit even as his winrate won't be great in HL, just like Genji, and they'll be sort of right.

Hanzo: Remove his trait OR lower the range of his AA + all of his abilities + stat buffs.

It's his loving 7.5 AA range and the armor shred. You can't really chase him or escape from him. Tychus has a 4.4 AA range, yet it's acceptable for Hanzo to have 7.5?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hanzo shouldn't have an AA in the first place. He'd be 100% more tolerable if he took a ton of skill to play and actually had a drawback to compensate for his absurd damage, range, and mobility, but instead of fixing his design they just threw numbers at the problem (and gave him one of the strongest talents in the game) to fix his winrate. Now he's debatably more cancerous than he is in Overwatch.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Does Blizzard really not see a problem with giving a hero high range, damage and mobility all at the same time, in a game where a good portion of the cast runs around with swords and hammers and poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You're criticizing an Overwatch hero? I thought that was a reddit meme.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
cancerous

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Finally got to experience the joy of smash Varian. All three of his heroics are fun in their own way.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Snacksmaniac posted:

Finally got to experience the joy of smash Varian. All three of his heroics are fun in their own way.

Smash is the best because YELLING

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

Hanzo shouldn't have an AA in the first place. He'd be 100% more tolerable if he took a ton of skill to play and actually had a drawback to compensate for his absurd damage, range, and mobility, but instead of fixing his design they just threw numbers at the problem (and gave him one of the strongest talents in the game) to fix his winrate. Now he's debatably more cancerous than he is in Overwatch.

That would be a very interesting change, they could probably leave all numbers as they are live and just remove his ability to auto attack, and he'd be better to play against.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

lucifirius posted:

That would be a very interesting change, they could probably leave all numbers as they are live and just remove his ability to auto attack, and he'd be better to play against.

Could you even use stormbow fast enough to keep serrated arrow stacks on a target?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would like to get myself capable with an assassin character, but I am not sure who to focus on. Suggestions for a mediocre newish player? So far, assassin feels like my weakest role. On a character like Kel-Thuzad I end up with laughable damage.

I've had the best luck so far with Jaina. Her kit is pretty easily understandable, and she can put out some very respectable burst damage. She is definitely squishy.

I've also had some luck with Tychus, mostly due to people underestimating the damage minigun can do. I am not sure if I like a minigun+laser focused build, or an odin-focused build more. I definitely misunderstood how the Odin works at first. It doesn't make you a beefy tank, and when it explodes you die. He is also pretty squishy, and his range is really short.

I seem to do good numbers with crash lightning thrall, but at the same time I feel like I am not always doing effective focused damage. Crash lightning also requires I be where the action is, rather than going off to lane.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Greymane and Valla are safe choices since there's good builds for both of them and they both offer outplay potential yet also have solid fundamentals. Jaina's also a good choice if you want to learn pure burst casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's probably more diversity in assassins than any other role. I'd recommend starting with a ranged aa hero because they work in most drafts. I've never felt like a mage was mandatory but being able to play Gul'dan on Tomb and Braxis is nice.

Greymane and Valla are the assassins I'd recommend to start with. Tychus is weird because he can't stutter step and has low range.