Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sociopastry posted:

How in the gently caress do I do character descriptions

my head hurts

Have them look in a mirror but it's cracked so they can't see anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
write an entire extended history novel within your novel about the important events that led to the conception of the character you're describing. then throw that all away and write one to two sentences about their most distinguishing characteristics.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

anime was right posted:

write an entire extended history novel within your novel about the important events that led to the conception of the character you're describing. then throw that all away and write one to two sentences about their most distinguishing characteristics.

The old “novel within a sentence” trick, eh?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sociopastry posted:

my head hurts

Remember that the operative word is character. Don't just say "Bob had black hair", say "Bob liked that his black hair added an air of menace." Don't say that "Lisa was short", say that "Lisa actually enjoyed being petite because it led people to underestimate her."

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Remember that the operative word is character. Don't just say "Bob had black hair", say "Bob liked that his black hair added an air of menace." Don't say that "Lisa was short", say that "Lisa actually enjoyed being petite because it led people to underestimate her."

You can also do a lot to describe people by comparing them to other people in the scene. People compare themselves to each other all the time, so it's only natural to have a character think something like that. Example: 'Julie had cut her hair short, which was something Mary had always wanted to do but never had the guts'. Now we know something about Julie's appearance, something about Mary's appearence, and something about Mary's fears/values. Three facts, one sentence.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sociopastry posted:

my head hurts

What kind of character descriptions do you mean? If you mean in-book physical descriptions, you might find this post useful (it's annoying to do double quotes, so you'll have to go look at the original lol)

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

How do I insert physical descriptions?

Take lessons from the masters: pull out your favorite books and look for physical descriptions. Consider how they handled it and how well it worked. You might be surprised at how clumsily it's handled, even by experienced writers (looking in a mirror, oh lord).

Examples:

Okay, I've pulled some off my shelf, because this a good exercise for everyone!

In the original post there are a bunch of examples from books here, and then I talk about them, like so:

Hooooly poo poo. This passage is the most physical description we've seen since the old Japanese dude. But see how nearly everything does double duty? Now we know about her dad's weak mouth and her mom's blue eyes. And all of these things are relevant to her character. We don't need a laundry list of hair/eye/skin color for every character. But for Veda it matters, so we get it, and Cain makes the most of it. The more subtle details are still the most important: the sniff is more important than the freckles, the erect, arrogant walk more important than her hair.

Editing to add: think about Shakespeare, and how amazingly memorable and vivid his stories and characters are. Not a drop of physical description.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also remember that by describing a person's surroundings you are also describing them.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

my head hurts

Don't bother unless it's a detail that reveals something about the character.

ex:
A character who's dressed tidily or sloppily says something about their personality.
Listing their eye color, hair color, hair length, height, and weight to the ounce like you're filling out an RP character sheet does not.

Also, read more. Specifically, books similar to the time period/tone/whatever you're going for, and pay attention to which bits of description stick in your mind and which don't. Or any book, doesn't have to be the same as you're writing.

In the first Collegia Magica book, the character Ilario, ostensibly a knight, is introduced as a fop dressed in clashing colors, way too much lace, and a ridiculous feathered hat. At one point the protagonist notes that the feather seems to slump with him when he looks disappointed. It paints a clear image of someone who's a bit absurd, over-the-top, like a cartoon character plopped into a serious adult fantasy novel. Which is the point for that character, for reasons that become apparent later on.

Carol Berg does like to describe clothes more than is strictly necessary, but in a way that reveals the characters--both the one wearing it, and the one observing it. That example's stuck with me for years now. I consider her one of the best character-focused fantasy authors I've read. You could do worse than read her books for examples.

I'll try to think of other sources. Haven't read much in a while.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The character descriptions I remember from the Abhorsen books were either things that were a part of someone's character as well (Lirael is pale and dark-haired, unlike the rest of the tanned, light-haired Clayr, which is one of the reasons why she feels distant and alienated from them) or that added flavor and specificity to a plot beat (describing what clothes someone packs for a trip, or the outfit someone gets when they assume a new role.)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
One thing to not do is something I read in a lovely teen sci fi romance. Practically every scene involves a description of every characters' hair. I don't have any idea about these characters' motives or morals but I can tell you what their goddamn hair looks like. And I'm 400 pages into the thing!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

apophenium posted:

One thing to not do is something I read in a lovely teen sci fi romance. Practically every scene involves a description of every characters' hair. I don't have any idea about these characters' motives or morals but I can tell you what their goddamn hair looks like. And I'm 400 pages into the thing!

what if im using each character's hair as an analogy for something HUh Huh!?! what then huh (oh god im a hack)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

apophenium posted:

Are you sure you weren't reading one of those books of different haircuts they put out in barbershop waiting areas?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

After The War posted:

Are you sure you weren't reading one of those books of different haircuts they put out in barbershop waiting areas?

was it written in a clipped tone of voice

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

reported

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks, all. I've struggled a lot with describing physical aspects of my characters without doing that thing I hate where the author's like "so and so looked in the mirror and described themselves perfectly"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Ironic Twist posted:

It's fair to say. The style first appears to be a dyed in the wool approach--and it's true to its roots, to be honest--but when you really start to split hairs the approach is a tangled mess. If the author just trimmed it down, or cut it entirely, the final volume's twist ending would have paid off. My opinion might be coarse, but I might not be the mane audience for this genre.

As for actual content, characterization in The Hunger Games: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/28/hunger-games-cast-racist-imagined

quote:

And as several people have pointed out, author Suzanne Collins made it very clear indeed that Rue was dark-skinned (black, as opposed to the more ambiguous description of Katniss as "olive-skinned"), as was her co-tribute from District 11, Thresh. So it comes to this: if the casting of Rue, Thresh and Cinna has left you bewildered and upset, consider two things. One: you may be a racist – congrats! Two: you definitely lack basic reading comprehension.

I haven't read the books and barely watched the movies, but a lot of dumb racist people were upset that characters were non-white. The books (apparently) established their skin tone but since it wasn't put as "[main character's] black friend enters the room" every time she enters a scene people just made their own vision of the character(s). In that way, less detail can be good for an author to engage the reader; in another way, maybe be specific about race only just to piss assholes off.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 3, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ironic Twist posted:

The Sean posted:

It's fair to say. The style first appears to be a dyed in the wool approach--and it's true to its roots, to be honest--but when you really start to split hairs the approach is a tangled mess. If the author just trimmed it down, or cut it entirely, the final volume's twist ending would have paid off. My opinion might be coarse, but I might not be the mane audience for this genre.

goood puns

Unfortunately I hate puns, because I'm a horrible fusing of flesh and metal that breaks every law of both god and man.

Also I just realised that handing out whimsical six hour probations for pun chains is a thing I can do, haha.

Do with this information what you will, people of CC

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 3, 2018

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

goood puns

Unfortunately I hate puns, because I'm a horrible fusing of flesh and metal that breaks every law of both god and man.

Also I just realised that handing out whimsical six hour probations for pun chains is a thing I can do, haha.

Do with this information what you will, people of CC

oh no he's power tripping (no pun intended)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

oh no he's power tripping (no pun intended)

:allbuttons:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

he really has his "butt on" the pulse

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
TLDR: Give up writing nobody reads anyway. Put all your effort into narrating audiobooks. Which isn't writing. You're just telling stories. Totally different you know what just give up and go play Skyrim some more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

TLDR: Give up writing nobody reads anyway. Put all your effort into narrating audiobooks. Which isn't writing. You're just telling stories. Totally different you know what just give up and go play Skyrim some more.

In a sense video games are the new books but you dont write them: you play them.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

In a sense video games are the new books but you dont write them: you play them.

oh good I feel a hell of a lot better then.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Well both the Metro and Witcher series did it this way, so might well be the way to go.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is a character using a mirror bad? I thought everyone had mirrors.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

sunken fleet posted:

Having a character look in a mirror and describe themselves is an overused way to convey the physical appearance of your character. Books are still getting published where it happens though, so it's not an absolute no-no by industry standards, at least. But really, when you look in the mirror, do you mentally describe yourself? Do you think "My honey blond hair was shoulder length, ending just above slim arms and a pair of modest breasts. My blue eyes stared back at me, surrounded by thick lashes."

No, you're probably like "poo poo, hair is a mess and don't have time to fix it."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its ok just have your character take a selfie or look at their own FriendSphere profile and talk about their picture there

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

all my characters are blind and feel their own faces to describe them.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
What if they look in the mirror....and the mirror....looks back

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I used a mirror once.

Once.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

What if they look in the mirror....and the mirror....looks back

Don’t let your characters be rude, strike up a polite conversation and introduce themselves!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

sunken fleet posted:

Conversely: when is using a mirror good?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

How else am I going to know if my fedora is askew just so?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

How else am I going to know if my fedora is askew just so?

You'll know in your soul

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

The Sean posted:

I think when you the character has gone through a series of bad events. Using a mirror and washing up is considered "down time" and when they look through the mirror they just how much they have gone through. (Note, this isn't used to initially describe your character, it's done after, so we get the contrast)

It's significant because we not only get a description of the injuries and you get to see the characters reactions and thoughts as they see how much damage they have been put through. It can also be used as a nice "cooldown" scene if you have had a bunch of action scenes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly I think the whole mirror trope is one of those bugbears of modern writing that got lifted from film, since it sort of makes sense (though really, not that much more sense) in a visual medium for a character to stare at themselves in a mirror and kind of take in their appearance or the tribulations they've just been through.

Like so many other devices, especially those lifted from visual media, I think it's one that isn't inherently bad, but 90% of the time they're done out of laziness or convenience, not because looking in the mirror is something essential that your character must do to achieve a goal or because it's in a thread of thematically-related scenes. If you're doing it, ask if there's a better way to achieve the same end, because I guarantee whatever you come up with will at least make my eyes roll a whole lot less than a character staring in a mirror.

That said, I think it's always interesting when a thread like this takes a known overused/bad writing device and asks, "hey, when is this thing actually good a/o the right choice?" So I'm curious to see what could be done with it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'd think about the only time you'd actually use a mirror to describe a viewpoint character from scratch is if somehow this is the first time they've seen themselves in a reflective surface. So if the character was blind and can now see, or lived in a cave or a primitive life in a place without still water to see themselves in, or is somehow experiencing a Quantum Leap situation, then sure.

You miiight be able to get away with a descriptive detail if it's in comparison to something extraordinary. "Bob glanced in the hall mirror and stopped, amazed. Somehow, his normally brown hair had gained a shock of grey at the temples within the past half hour."

It's also possible to use a mirror if the character is a massive narcissist. "Bob smirked at his glorious reflection. Shoulders still broad. Eyes still twinkling blue. Blond hair still perfectly coiffed. He felt something shift, just a bit, in his groin area. Aw yeah."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

poo poo, I meant that to be more rhetorical but I wasn't clear. It's "good" when it's actually furthering the plot, is the answer.

A character examining wounds or a new blemish works, too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
clearly the trick is to cold open to a wounded protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

anime was right posted:

clearly the trick is to cold open to a wounded protagonist

being chased by something, thinking how they would be in the clear, "if only I had _______"