Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Methanar posted:

My guy just attempted to set up an antenna, but complained it didn't work. This guy gives me the vibes of not knowing what he was doing, so he probably just did it wrong.
Maybe I'll go and try getting his antenna to work.

It's unreal how bad all of the online services for this type of thing are.

TV fool does Canada to see where the transmitters are. Sometimes they're not where you think they are.

Also I had a TV old enough to not be able to receive digital OTA TV, and could only get French CBC until I got a TV from this century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

This might not be a good place to post this but I can't find a better thread.

Where did my av come from? I've never posted in YOSPOS and I was under the impression the stupid newbie av was now the Trump Lover av. Is it some in-joke I'm unaware of?

I'm actually pretty cool with it, I just have no idea the context.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why can't you just boil uncovered water on a stove instead of using a humidifier?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure you can. I'm not familiar enough with humidifiers to say if one is more energy efficient than the other, or the safety of leaving the stove on, or how much wet per area you get out of the average pot of water, but stove boiling will absolutely moisten the air. Make some soup stock while you're at it so the air is both damp and delicious.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why can't you just boil uncovered water on a stove instead of using a humidifier?

You can if you want. My grandpa used to do that for his vacation cabin where the power outlets were always tied up by a lamp, a fridge and a radio.

Main thing is the pot's going to need to be refilled fairly often because when you do it this way it'll use up the water way quicker than a standard humidifier.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Never woulda guessed.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What kind of plant is this and how bad is it if these two doofuses occasionally nibble on it? It's some sort of standard veggie garden veggie plant but I'm apparently too bad at google to find it. I like the idea of occasional free veggies but not dead cats.

ETA:

Thank, you Google Image Search

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 2, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Enourmo posted:

Can you ID the artist/group? That may help narrow it down.

It's Jigsaw performing "Sky High".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO320HpYV-M

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm thinking it's likely a zucchini plant or something. Or something in that family.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm thinking it's likely a zucchini plant or something. Or something in that family.

There's another plant also growing up that I'm 90% sure is zucchini, which incidentally apparently is fine for cats and is sometimes used in cat food, so maybe. I just haven't found any with leaves that look like that so far.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Organza Quiz posted:

What kind of plant is this and how bad is it if these two doofuses occasionally nibble on it? It's some sort of standard veggie garden veggie plant but I'm apparently too bad at google to find it. I like the idea of occasional free veggies but not dead cats.

ETA:

Thank, you Google Image Search

You can get cell phone apps that will identify it by taking a picture of it in the app. Leafsnap.com is one of them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there a generic term for thinking something looks wrong exclusively because you've been looking at something similar for a while?

Like, say, reading a book for a while, then reading SA and it looking weird because the font is different?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MisterBibs posted:

Is there a generic term for thinking something looks wrong exclusively because you've been looking at something similar for a while?

Like, say, reading a book for a while, then reading SA and it looking weird because the font is different?
Uncanny?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
If a delivery containing an external hard drive (Western Digital Elements in a zippered form-fitting case and then packed in the usual parcel box) is refrigerated for about 12 hours by mistake, does that effectively kill the hard drive?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It sure shouldn't.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Disharmony posted:

If a delivery containing an external hard drive (Western Digital Elements in a zippered form-fitting case and then packed in the usual parcel box) is refrigerated for about 12 hours by mistake, does that effectively kill the hard drive?
No, it's definitely fine. It would have been fine even if it had been put in a sub zero freezer for 12 hours.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Thanks guys! That makes me worry less.

Now comes the hard part: Convincing my landlord that the hard drive is fine so she should just come clean that she did receive our package by mistake. She was expecting two packages from a rice cake place (but it's more than likely just one because it's one large box and a super small one - there's two tracking numbers too) and I guess excitedly shoved them in the fridge and found out the next day that it wasn't hers.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Disharmony posted:

Now comes the hard part: Convincing my landlord that the hard drive is fine so she should just come clean that she did receive our package by mistake. She was expecting two packages from a rice cake place (but it's more than likely just one because it's one large box and a super small one - there's two tracking numbers too) and I guess excitedly shoved them in the fridge and found out the next day that it wasn't hers.

if your landlord sticks to their guns and keeps saying they didn't receive it, if you ordered it through Amazon, you can say you never received it and it was left with another neighbour who claims they didn't receive it.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Disharmony posted:

I don't understand what's going on here - the landlady got your hard drive, shoved it in the fridge, and won't give it to you? You know she has it, since she shoved it in the fridge... I don't understand what you mean by this situation or why you have to convince her of anything at all if you know she has your package.

Also if you're wondering, a usual SATA disk can safely operate at -40C (-40F); any colder than that and you gotta leave it out to warm up a bit before you use it (that's when the parts inside freeze and will snap if you try to power it on). So unless she has a freezer that goes to -40F you can even use the HDD immediately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
There’s a story I read somewhere about a neckbeard guy going to Latin America (Brazil maybe) to meet a girl. When he got there, they lived in a hovel and he couldn’t communicate with anyone and he ended up masturbating in a sink or something and getting kicked out. Does anyone know what this story is called and where it’s posted?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

There’s a story I read somewhere about a neckbeard guy going to Latin America (Brazil maybe) to meet a girl. When he got there, they lived in a hovel and he couldn’t communicate with anyone and he ended up masturbating in a sink or something and getting kicked out. Does anyone know what this story is called and where it’s posted?
https://pastebin.com/ANGXu1mw

It's known as Brazil.txt

It's believed to be a work of fiction by a bitcoiner imagining a farcical situation in which bitcoins are useful.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Organza Quiz posted:

I think it's maybe a melon vine, which are zucchini's sweet-fat cousins!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Looking for a reputable VPN that doesn't have a bloaty POS software that is laggy and awful. Don't mind inputting the VPN details myself in lieu of an easy to use piece of software.

Wanting something that won't sell my info or anything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Q8ee posted:

Looking for a reputable VPN that doesn't have a bloaty POS software that is laggy and awful. Don't mind inputting the VPN details myself in lieu of an easy to use piece of software.

Wanting something that won't sell my info or anything.

First choice: Mullvad. They do absolutely everything right, and are the service I use. Their client app is completely open-source and works great, but you can do a bog-standard OpenVPN connection to them if you prefer. (Review.)

Second choice: AirVPN, makers of a very nice IP leak tester page. They seem to know what they're doing, but I don't have personal experience with them. (Review.)

Third choice: NordVPN, since they're currently the cheap option for goons thanks to Lowtax's discount deal thing. (Review.)

As you've probably guessed from the review links, I consider That One Privacy Site a reputable source of info on this sort of thing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does taking a bath use less water than a 15 minute shower?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Average numbers for American shower flow and bathtub size, yes.

But taking a responsibly timed shower uses less water than a bath, no reason to be in there for more than 5 minutes or so, really.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

https://pastebin.com/ANGXu1mw

It's known as Brazil.txt

It's believed to be a work of fiction by a bitcoiner imagining a farcical situation in which bitcoins are useful.

Perfect, thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Does taking a bath use less water than a 15 minute shower?

The answer depends on the size of the tub, the depth of the water and the efficiency of the showerhead. But usually, the shower will use less.

Most people use about 30 gallons of water for a bath, according to industry estimates. When filled to capacity (just below the overflow), a standard bathtub holds 42 gallons, but some of that water will be displaced when you get into the tub. So, the tub is rarely filled to capacity before taking a bath.

A low-flow showerhead uses about two gallons a minute, or 30 gallons for a 15-minute shower. A standard showerhead uses 2.5 gallons a minute, or 37.5 gallons for 15 minutes. Either way, the shower doesn't save water – as long as you take 15 minutes. The shorter the shower, the greater the savings.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 4, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can you get drunk from breathing in alcohol that has evaporated during cooking?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Technically yes, but with the amounts you use in cooking and the rate at which the vapors spread out as they boil off, you'd have a hell of a time getting enough in to actually feel anything.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You can get super drunk on alcohol vapor, there’s a LA Beast video of him doing it, but with the small amount that cooks off, and how the vapor disperses, it’s hard to get drunk through normal cooking.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ChairMaster posted:

Average numbers for American shower flow and bathtub size, yes.

But taking a responsibly timed shower uses less water than a bath, no reason to be in there for more than 5 minutes or so, really.

have you ever in your life met anybody with a substantial amount of hair?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Cooking? No not really. Putting it in a bulb and lighting a candle underneath and inhaling the vapors through a straw? Sure can!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If I cut the the tips off of my index finger and thumb, and then tape the wounds together, will my fingers fuse together over time?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Fruits of the sea posted:

If I cut the the tips off of my index finger and thumb, and then tape the wounds together, will my fingers fuse together over time?

Human wounds (with a few exceptions) don't really regenerate, they heal instead. Important difference. Healing typically means the spot is covered in scar tissue. Both stumps will have scar tissue forming, and due to confusion there is a pretty big chance the scar tissue chunks will grow together. I'd call it more 'biological glue' than fusion though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

Human wounds (with a few exceptions) don't really regenerate, they heal instead. Important difference. Healing typically means the spot is covered in scar tissue. Both stumps will have scar tissue forming, and due to confusion there is a pretty big chance the scar tissue chunks will grow together. I'd call it more 'biological glue' than fusion though.

Would new capillaries form or join through though? I'm thinking of the times when someone has a hand attached to their face or whatever or a graft of skin from their rear end to a 3rd degree burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgqlzYWz98A

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How many unarmed people in regular clothing do you suppose a fully armored knight wielding a longsword could kill before they overwhelmed him? What about a samurai?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How many unarmed people in regular clothing do you suppose a fully armored knight wielding a longsword could kill before they overwhelmed him? What about a samurai?
Best answer would probably be to look to the Spanish conquest of Central America. The native weapons were virtually useless against the Spaniard's metal armor so the Spanish could just wander around stabbing people to death, e.g. they won the battle of otumba despite being outnumbered 40-1. 1000 dudes with swords and smallpox conquered an entire civilization.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They'll just run away, I'm pretty sure full suit of armor makes it pretty impossible to chase an unencumbered person.

Unless he's got a horse, then the answer is just "as long as it takes to scare his horse or hit it with a heavy enough rock or sharp enough stick to blind it or something".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Best answer would probably be to look to the Spanish conquest of Central America. The native weapons were virtually useless against the Spaniard's metal armor so the Spanish could just wander around stabbing people to death, e.g. they won the battle of otumba despite being outnumbered 40-1. 1000 dudes with swords and smallpox conquered an entire civilization.

That was a really interesting read.

Depends entirely on the sort of group of people going up against the Knight. If they're just randomers, why would they stick their neck out to help save other people? They'd just run, or try and overwhelm the Knight in trickles instead of one concerted effort. If the group were friends or family, they'd be more willing to risk their own lives to save the group, and overwhelming the Knight would be easier. Knights are slow and cumbersome, they'd be pretty easy to overwhelm and outmaneuver. Didn't Knights have a group of foot soldiers accompany them to prevent being surrounded as easily? They were fearsome head on, but in a one-vs-many situation, they were easy to take out?

I reckon a Samurai would be far more deadly and able to cut down way more people. He's more mobile, more agile and is quicker to respond to people trying to surround him.