Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I bought an Asus 1060 for $320 shipped a year and a half ago as now the exact same card is sparking >$400 bidding wars on eBay.

I knew it was bad but drat that's not how the computer hardware market is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Fauxtool posted:

just dont buy anything amd or blower style and you will be fine regarding used cards

Or new cards for that matter

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Pony posted:

I bought an Asus 1060 for $320 shipped a year and a half ago as now the exact same card is sparking >$400 bidding wars on eBay.

I knew it was bad but drat that's not how the computer hardware market is supposed to work.

crypto's effects are being vastly overstated at this point. Everyone wants cards and they are selling out in seconds from all sorts of customers including gamers.

The main problem is a severe memory shortage making all cards cost $50-100 over previous MSRP before the demand based markup. The prices are still so high because people are actually paying those amounts so why would they lower them.

Its theorized that board partners/amd did not put in big enough memory orders ahead of time and any orders put in now wont be ready for months. Nvidia is likely gearing up for their next series of GPUs in 2 months and reserving their memory for them.

Miners started the problem and everyone else is keeping it going. I highly doubt any miners are paying the stupid high prices, its gotta be desperate gamers. Mining profits are down and buying a 1070 for $600 with a 200+ day ROI is just stupid when everyone knows ampere is just around the corner.

I dont think AMD will ever be able to meet demand regarding miners. Miners are perfectly happy to pay $350 for a 4gb rx 580 and its a terrible value at the price for gaming. The only limit for casual miners running AMD is how many cards they can get a hold of at a reasonable price.

Nvidia gpus will sell out and never restock until the next gen.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 1, 2018

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Miners started the problem and everyone else is keeping it going. I highly doubt any miners are paying the stupid high prices, its gotta be desperate gamers.

Yea miners are likly not buying cards at 2x retail, but they ARE cleaning out the entire stock of stores that sell cards at actual retail which causes more people to buy online.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's me, I'm seriously considering a Titan next generation if they sell a ~1000 dollar one if that means I can get one without fighting for stock. I straight up can't afford a 3,000 dollar Titan, but if they make new ones for the 1150 they sold the old ones for that'd make me pretty interested if there's no 1180 stock.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same, after seeing how the last 3 titans held their value im sold. Having the top end GPU by a long shot for almost a year sounds totally worth it.

Mining made me so much disposable income it wouldnt even be a big hit to my wallet. I cant reinvest my earnings into more GPUs because there are none to buy

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol, I thought the same thing a week ago or so. For once I may just buy the Titan if everything stays roughly the same

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone flashed their AMD Polaris bios to change memory timings? The directions seem easy enough and my card has a dual bios in case I screw anything up. For whatever reason when I dump the existing bios using ATIWinFlash it is only 256 KB, which gives an error in the Polaris bios editor saying that if I flash a bios this size it could cause corruption. It seems like people have ignored this error on google, but I'm not keen to do that without more info. It's a powercolor 470 for what it's worth.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mr. Wynand posted:

And on a related note, when craigslist eventually gets flooded by last year's no-longer-profitable-for-mining GPUs, how likely are they to be suffering latent heat related damage? Should I avoid altogether, or are they still worth picking up at severe discount?

do not touch.

craig588 posted:

Heat should be a non issue because anyone running a large scale mining operation has learned the benefits of running the cards cool and low powered. The only potential failure point is the fan since it might have been running for years without ever turning off and consumer hardware is designed with the idea people turn it off. A replacement fan is only like 15 dollars and a half hour of your time though, it's not a big deal if the cards are cheap enough.

in some happy world where I'm not blogging NiceHash Mining Accident Futures. Tell me that any of these people know or give a poo poo:

Definitely nothing that could go wrong putting an electric heater in a wooden box:

https://twitter.com/Truexile420/status/939876058702032897

Let's just shove a fan loose on top, that should do the job:

https://twitter.com/tibikojo/status/939873508070322181

These guys love their random fans:

https://twitter.com/_THeRmoNukE_/status/939876218371018752

Why are you paying NiceHash a commission when you're running coin-specific ASIC miners:

https://twitter.com/N00BMiner33/status/939875265026641920

String some parts together and keep the faith:

https://twitter.com/dhionathan_f/status/939893107549720576

https://twitter.com/amiatanu1nonly/status/939906458723934209

https://twitter.com/phipsymiles/status/939868403749326853

Just push a bit harder!

https://twitter.com/MintCollie/status/939906718603071497

https://twitter.com/xra00/status/939870031835406337

Just sorta put the exhaust pipe somewhere near a fan, that'll do the job:

https://twitter.com/Ron2pet/status/939917014839148545

um OK:

https://twitter.com/tiobran/status/939868866179686402

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Given that this is the full-on poop touching thread, I'm just going to ask: Are any of the weird altcoins like Verium worth CPU mining right now at 7c/kWh?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

divabot posted:

do not touch.

The funny part about this is that, with a few exceptions, most of those cards have access to better air flow and will be posting lower temperatures than the vast majority of "properly installed" gaming cards in normal cases. It might look silly, but open-bench style setups are actually pretty great for keeping components cool--they're just loud and look ugly as hell.

Again, Pascal is very good about temperature throttling itself to keep things sane when needed.

I do wonder what the gently caress is going on with the TV box with wires running to it, though...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The TV box made me lol. Reminds me of old school "hidden" when you still lived with your parents

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's 2 setups I wouldn't want cards from. The mystery TV box and the normal case crammed with videocards. Everything else is getting good to great airflow and as long as they don't get shorted out from those crazy "cases" and end up dead they should be fine for years.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'd much rather buy a used mining card that's been sitting at 75C its entire life than a used gaming card with a million thermal cycles on it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
drat, all those rigs make mine look like a loving masterpiece.

Personally, I keep all my cards at 70% TDP. The hottest they get midday in a Florida garage is 63C according to Afterburner.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I put mine under water :colbert:

37c on load is sexy, but obviously this wasn't built to be a mining rig.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
37c @ load was my average for my garage miner when it was -20c outside. Now its low 50s :qq:

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

37c @ load was my average for my garage miner when it was -20c outside. Now its low 50s :qq:

Having read nothing in this thread, other than this post so far...

I feel this should be the new thread description.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're going to run an electric space heater anyways bitcoin mining is pretty good. No matter how unprofitable it is getting back even 20 dollars a month is better than nothing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
maybe if your time is worth nothing.. and the video cards and etc

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there any news on Chia? I thought that bittorrent guy was going to make it "green" aka no space heaters

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
My favorite eBay video card listings are the ones that say never mined/never used for mining that then go on to say what hash rates to expect with the card. :riker:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Makes me wonder if you can actually tell if a card has been used and for how long. I bet there is a way.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
From $6 a day per 1070 down to $2.63 per day. Bitcoin giveth and bitcoin taketh away.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tehinternet posted:

From $6 a day per 1070 down to $2.63 per day. Bitcoin giveth and bitcoin taketh away.

But you’re helping strengthen the Bitcoin network - isn’t that enough reward?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My GTX1080 is now doing $3.11 per day on equihash which has been consistently the best algo, with nist5 popping up and down on Nicehash.

This is about where I stopped mining last time during summer, but since it's cool and the cat loves to sit on my warm computer case, I'm going to leave it on just for her.

My cat's comfort is worth contributing to the ruination of our planet.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My GTX1080 is now doing $3.11 per day on equihash which has been consistently the best algo, with nist5 popping up and down on Nicehash.

This is about where I stopped mining last time during summer, but since it's cool and the cat loves to sit on my warm computer case, I'm going to leave it on just for her.

My cat's comfort is worth contributing to the ruination of our planet.

Same, but I have solar panels (and a dog instead of cat) so I’m not ruining the earth

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Same, but I have solar panels (and a dog instead of cat) so I’m not ruining the earth

What if you run down the sun? :ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ford mustang for sale

Never been raced

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

What if you run down the sun? :ohdear:

Don't even joke, retards actually believe that:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/solar-farm-suck-up-the-sun_us_566e9aeee4b0e292150e5d66

Between that and coin mining, Mother Earth has her work cut out for her.

BTW, your cat has a huge carbon footprint, you should eat it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do not eat cats!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what side of the climate change argument this was on but I remember a poster showing a family saying the number 1 thing they could do to help global warming was eat their dog. They had stuff like grilling and an idling car with smoke in the photo. Was it saying no one should own pets? Was it saying owning pets is the first thing to give up if you care about the environment? Was it saying conservation is pointless? Maybe they just really wanted people to eat dogs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

craig588 posted:

I don't know what side of the climate change argument this was on but I remember a poster showing a family saying the number 1 thing they could do to help global warming was eat their dog. They had stuff like grilling and an idling car with smoke in the photo. Was it saying no one should own pets? Was it saying owning pets is the first thing to give up if you care about the environment? Was it saying conservation is pointless? Maybe they just really wanted people to eat dogs.

I have a modest proposal for you...

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Bitcoin crashin' just in time for the weather to warm up. No need for a garage heater any more!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Prescription Combs posted:

Bitcoin crashin' just in time for the weather to warm up. No need for a garage heater any more!

I sold 3 out of 6 cards and the rest aren't moving... please Crypto Gods... raise it back up for one more day so I can finish liquidating these.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

I sold 3 out of 6 cards and the rest aren't moving... please Crypto Gods... raise it back up for one more day so I can finish liquidating these.

lower the price now before its too late and you cant sell at all

redeyes posted:

Makes me wonder if you can actually tell if a card has been used and for how long. I bet there is a way.

crystaldiskmark shows HDD hours powered on so i bet you can somewhere with a HWmonitor type program

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Starting to feel better about selling all of my GPUs but now that I said that mining will probably blow up again next week.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Our sacrifice arrives! Praise him!

Oh my, a double offering! The gods will be pleased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Turned off mining again. Will check it now and then to see if it goes above $4 day for a 1070, but I think the gravy train is done.

• Locked thread