Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Lt. Lizard posted:

He got too much focus IMHO.

I had to look up their names. Really glad the comic was allowed to focus on Senku. This arc about his dad looks like its going to own, but I’m curious where the comic is going to go after that.

The two village/schools of thought in a post-apoc world story sort of reminds me of The Stand by Stephen King. Maybe Senku’s going to recover some ballistic missles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Recover? Nah, doubt it.

Recreate on the other hand...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love lilian's hair explosions

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
really glad that byakuya is a big goofball

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like the resemblance between the village people and the astronauts.

Though the implication that they tried to repopulate with 6 people is....
yeah the villagers are hella hapsburged

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, their policy of shunning outsiders suggests that maybe a few have thawed over the years, so maybe the gene pool got supplemented a bit.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, their policy of shunning outsiders suggests that maybe a few have thawed over the years, so maybe the gene pool got supplemented a bit.
The explanation we get from Kinrou doesn't quite seem to mesh with that though.

"There's no one outside the village. Therefor, outsiders are criminals who were exiled in the past."

E: Gotta say though, Senku's dad owns. Sold off his car to give his kid the support needed to become an incredible scientist, worked his rear end off and managed to get into space, and founded the only (as far as we know of) village of living humans after the disaster.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

byakuya is good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only good dad in shonen

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

As if Maes Hughes didn't have it bad enough already.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

Dad's are allowed to be good if they're dead. So this is pretty much standard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dad's are allowed to be good if they're dead. So this is pretty much standard.

This explains why Vegeta's a good dad now, but does little to clarify why Goku is still so terrible at it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Brain damage.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Classic misunderstanding that his childhood is not analogous to others?

Also brain damage and wild miscalculation re: Cell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wouldn't have minded seeing space dad set up a bit better before now but no big deal I guess. I'm even more curious about what turned them to stone now than ever before lmao I totally forgot that was the premise I've been so invested in the panacea and tournament.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
WSJ mentioned that Dr Stone will be off this week. Not sure if it's just the translation, or there won't be a chapter this week period.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mulderman posted:

WSJ mentioned that Dr Stone will be off this week. Not sure if it's just the translation, or there won't be a chapter this week period.

It's the latter.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EmmyOk posted:

I wouldn't have minded seeing space dad set up a bit better before now but no big deal I guess. I'm even more curious about what turned them to stone now than ever before lmao I totally forgot that was the premise I've been so invested in the panacea and tournament.

At least we saw some sort of explosion on the Earths surface caused it. A little bit more of a clue

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Its gotta be a state of the arts weapon experiment gone wrong. the "dark" side of science.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My guess is that it's an experiment to save nature, only it got sabotaged. Like maybe it's supposed to be used for terraforming and restore nutrients to plants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some guy really loving hated swallows and devised a method to rid the world of them. it had unintended consequences.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

some guy really loving hated swallows and devised a method to rid the world of them. it had unintended consequences.

Chairman Mao, back from the dead

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Looks like their plan exploded into their face!

From the dimensions it looks more like an impact than a bomb. So maybe some fragments hit first, affecting the swallows.
But why only swallows and humans?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rather than the dark side of science, this might be medical science gone wrong. As what's-her-face in the early chapters pointed out, the petrification has powerful healing properties so long as you eventually get unpetrified. The giant explosion does suggest though there was either a fatal accident, or intentional sabotage to stop or weaponise the project.

I was gonna say this doesn't really matter in the long run since everyone in the project would be dead after millions of years, but I suppose the entire premise of the story makes it somewhat likely they might still be around and unpetrified around the same time as Senku.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That it affected swallows first certainly makes it seem like a test (to see if it works or can just target a specific species), unless there's some kind of special connection that makes it so they get snatched up in the same disaster that hits humanity

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Turns out someone really wanted to take out the baseball team Tokyo Swallows and got the parameters wrong both times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

new chapter's up

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/44/page/1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they had access to the salvage of the entire human race but couldn't manage better than a rowboat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah they inbred as gently caress

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How convenient that there were 3 men and 3 women.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I missed/forgot that Senku's dad wasn't related to him by blood. Was that mentioned before?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man, Senku's really lucky that vending machine didn't fall down and smash his statue throughout the years.

they had access to the salvage of the entire human race but couldn't manage better than a rowboat.

From how I parsed it, Senku's dad picked to land on the island closest to where the first entry vessel was stranded, and the only one living there was a survivalist so there weren't any motorboats nearby.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Man, Senku's really lucky that vending machine didn't fall down and smash his statue throughout the years.

From how I parsed it, Senku's dad picked to land on the island closest to where the first entry vessel was stranded, and the only one living there was a survivalist so there weren't any motorboats nearby.

they had a functional boat, survival training, and they knew where the island was. plus, they or their descendants clearly left the island at some point. granted, not everyone can be as ambitious as senkuu, but aside from popping out kids what were they even doing all that time?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it is pretty weird that all these smart, athletic astronauts with actual training couldn't come up with a better idea than making a village for senkuu to find some day. of course we don't know for sure that they didn't try anything else; it's just heavily implied

it is a little silly but I still like the dad and think it's cool he has so much faith in his son

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I"t's a good thing my son isn't related by blood, so we can all feel less weird about people shipping him with my ancestors! We got you, fans."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kidcoelacanth posted:

I"t's a good thing my son isn't related by blood, so we can all feel less weird about people shipping him with my ancestors! We got you, fans."

Hahahaha, that throwaway line did so much damage control. It's comical. A+

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's ftw, actually

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

they had a functional boat, survival training, and they knew where the island was. plus, they or their descendants clearly left the island at some point. granted, not everyone can be as ambitious as senkuu, but aside from popping out kids what were they even doing all that time?

Oh, whoops, my bad haha. I misread your post as asking why Senku's dad didn't try to commandeer a fishing boat to save his friends.

But yeah, it's kind of weird how they settled down like that instead of trying to go to a hospital or something to figure out if the petrification was reversible.

Honestly, I'm hoping there's a reveal where Senku's dad sealed away a ton of books and a working computer with details about what caused the petrification hidden in a bunker/time capsule somewhere, because he believes Senku will recover and can use the knowledge.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Honestly, I'm hoping there's a reveal where Senku's dad sealed away a ton of books and a working computer with details about what caused the petrification hidden in a bunker/time capsule somewhere, because he believes Senku will recover and can use the knowledge.

Attack on Titan’s bloody basement all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Oh, whoops, my bad haha. I misread your post as asking why Senku's dad didn't try to commandeer a fishing boat to save his friends.

But yeah, it's kind of weird how they settled down like that instead of trying to go to a hospital or something to figure out if the petrification was reversible.

Seems like they were afraid that getting too close to the source of the petrification could have done something to them, so they decided to settle on the exact opposite side of the world.