Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I'm not a fan of either approach. Code review isn't the place to be ascertaining functional correctness -- that's what unit tests, integration tests, and QA/UAT testing are for. Code review is to catch obvious mistakes, style issues, horribly inefficient algorithms, etc.

There is a QA process happening in parallel in either example as posed here. Not being "production ready" means that features added there aren't necessarily complete. There must not be any regressions, but the new code--if it's scooped up in a release--isn't advertised to end users and isn't normally accessible. There might be some special flags to turn them on for a target user requesting a particular feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for some opinions on the scope of commits going into code reviews.

We have a lot of plugins and a common task is to make one. There are two ways I see to manage this from a code review standpoint:
1. Get the single commit that implements all requirements of the plugin, end-to-end, in one hit. Spin around on this with feedback and patches until it's set. When it's finally accepted, it's considered production-ready. The master is generally considered production-ready. The developer might make that initial single commit from a series of topic branch commits squashed together. They will also probably have to rebase the source a few times while this all is churning.
2. Get a sequence of commits for the plugin representing major "thoughts" towards fulfilling the plugin. This may still come from personal, squashed commits, but less of them. There will be more unique reviews but the reviews themselves would be shorter. When accepted, they aren't necessarily regarded as release-ready. Master is not considered production-ready. There is a mechanism for separating works-in-progress from production. Architectural work-in-progress code is "dark" in master until feature-complete.

Right now we're doing #1 and it's leading to reviews taking over a week sometimes, and also sometimes resulting in architecture (not plugin) changes that are so large that the reviewers can't really make sense of them any more. I'm looking at #2 as a greener pasture that might be just as bad.

If it's large and architect changing like that a hybrid is usually the best approach. A series of commits in a single review that walk through the steps and can be viewed independently or as a whole as up to the person doing the review. Prior to merging this can be a final squash or not depending on local taste, but I'd rather not squash personally. It looks like in both 1 and 2 you're saying that one commit = one code review. That doesn't need to be the case. I can have a code review of 40 commits and do a diff from master to the last commit and get the whole view, or I can dive in and look at individual commits if I get lost, either way though I'm going to comment on the whole thing not on the individual pieces of it since that's what will become master.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
#1 sounds awful. It's impossible to meaningfully review huge changes. Reviews should be about fulfilling one part of a functionality and ideally be ~100 LoC so that a reviewer can actually fit the change in their head.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Portland Sucks posted:

edit: To be honest you don't want to be needed. You're working under bad management if anyone is full on needed. How can you take a vacation if you're needed?

This has been a really hard one for me. I tend to work at small places and therefore am often needed, which has come with lots of problems. Few people can directly help me on problems, because few people means little overlap, and everything is critical all the time which means if I leave everything breaks or stops. At my current job I was spiraling into extremely bad burnout due to this problem, I had to sit down with my bosses and say basically "either I take a long vacation right now or I have to quit, I'm losing my mind". So right now, I'm on a vacation - my first one in over 2 years.

It's been a really hard lesson to learn but I think I have finally learned it. I'm never going to let myself get in that position again. To anyone else who is dealing with a similar situation, please make regular vacations non-optional, no matter how much there is to do. I had the same problem Pollyanna did where "open vacation" meant "not now, it's too busy", which really meant "never". Gotta force the issue.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Taffer posted:

This has been a really hard one for me. I tend to work at small places and therefore am often needed, which has come with lots of problems. Few people can directly help me on problems, because few people means little overlap, and everything is critical all the time which means if I leave everything breaks or stops. At my current job I was spiraling into extremely bad burnout due to this problem, I had to sit down with my bosses and say basically "either I take a long vacation right now or I have to quit, I'm losing my mind". So right now, I'm on a vacation - my first one in over 2 years.

It's been a really hard lesson to learn but I think I have finally learned it. I'm never going to let myself get in that position again. To anyone else who is dealing with a similar situation, please make regular vacations non-optional, no matter how much there is to do. I had the same problem Pollyanna did where "open vacation" meant "not now, it's too busy", which really meant "never". Gotta force the issue.

Yeah, I don't really get how Polyanna both screens for employers who make her feel like they need her and also complains about companies that don't want you to take vacation. Lots of mismatched expectations up in here.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

Which is perfectly fair - Im more thinking of this in terms of how truly a company needs me. For example, at one place I interviewed with today, I dug into exactly what the company needed in terms of head count, skill set, etc. Their response was that they dont really need an engineer, though they have wants in terms of skill sets and soft skills - theyre aiming for doubling their user base and everything dependent on their next round of funding and that may pan out, but in the short term i.e. now it didnt seem like they were hurting for a new engineer or anything yet. That made me a little nervous, since there wouldnt be anything clear to point to when asking the question why did we hire her? and makes me feel more superfluous than I am comfortable with. If I get hired, I want to know that I am needed.

Stop interviewing at startups. Go apply for a programming job at the MBTA if you want to do something interesting with good job stability.

e: https://angel.co/massachusetts-bay-transportation-authority-mbta/jobs/117785-software-engineer

Ffs they even ask for Elixir and Phoenix. Weren't you going on a while ago about learning Elixir?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Portland Sucks posted:

Yeah, I don't really get how Polyanna both screens for employers who make her feel like they need her and also complains about companies that don't want you to take vacation. Lots of mismatched expectations up in here.

She's insecure but doesn't want to follow the advice of "get a decent job and stick with it for a few year so you can grow up", thinking she can somehow skip it if she finds the right place or solicits enough advice from SA. Neither of which will happen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Stop interviewing at startups. Go apply for a programming job at the MBTA if you want to do something interesting with good job stability.

e: https://angel.co/massachusetts-bay-transportation-authority-mbta/jobs/117785-software-engineer

Ffs they even ask for Elixir and Phoenix. Weren't you going on a while ago about learning Elixir?

I did interview there. It was close, but they went with someone more senior.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In stark contrast to my previous job, where I worked four months and nothing made it out to Production, I already have stuff in Production here, after about three weeks. One of the changes I made was to get rid of the asynchronous behavior when this web app tries to send an email, because the surrounding code always marked the email as having been sent successfully, even when the asynchronous operation ultimately failed. I made this change because, while verifying a different change on Test, I noticed the mail server password was wrong in the configuration.

It was wrong on Production, too. I don't know how long, because the logs only go back to the start of this year. So somebody's been clicking "Send Email" for an unknown length of time and been being told it succeeded, without any emails actually having been sent.

The reason the operation was asynchronous? "To make interactive, individual sends snappy (at the cost of some reliability)." I took it out and emails send in under a second on Test and Production. Whee!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hughlander posted:

If it's large and architect changing like that a hybrid is usually the best approach. A series of commits in a single review that walk through the steps and can be viewed independently or as a whole as up to the person doing the review. Prior to merging this can be a final squash or not depending on local taste, but I'd rather not squash personally. It looks like in both 1 and 2 you're saying that one commit = one code review. That doesn't need to be the case. I can have a code review of 40 commits and do a diff from master to the last commit and get the whole view, or I can dive in and look at individual commits if I get lost, either way though I'm going to comment on the whole thing not on the individual pieces of it since that's what will become master.

This is the approach that I like, although it's difficult to pull off at times. It did give me a new appreciation for the magic that could be done with git rebase -i though.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

How do you guys feel about the following?

code:
Foo.getCollection().add(item)
It feels wrong to me.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What's wrong with it?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Ither posted:

How do you guys feel about the following?

code:
Foo.getCollection().add(item)
It feels wrong to me.

It's lazy and makes testing a nightmare; The code calling Foo is now tightly coupled with Foo's internal structure.

In my current code base we have a horrific data access abstraction that can only be used like that (google "Law of Demeter" for real reasons why it's awful).

code:
var foo = new Foo();
TopLevel.FooRepository.Insert(foo);
TopLevel.Save();
I showed a senior team member how to use a mocking framework so we could stub out calls to the database. He ended up with a mock class that had the most arcane levels of bullshit I've ever seen. It took days to write. It deserves a merciful death, but senior team member refuses to do the right thing. Now my team think tests are difficult to write, so they don't bother.

Do you see what happens when you write Foo.getCollection().add(item)? DO YOU?

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Yeah at minimum "add" should be a method itself that deals with the logic of inserts internally to the object. If you need to expose the collection in some way (e.g. when you add and a UI has to show the new list) then make it a readonly collection on a getter.

code:
Foo.add(item)
Foo.getItems() // IEnumerable if you're C#, Iterable for Java
There's then more patterns after this, such as explicit Command/Query objects;

code:
FooRepository.add / update / delete
FooView.getAll / getById / getByParam
And the logical and insane conclusion is a purely functional representation where each insert copies the original object with the new item in the copy, leaving the original alone :v: I once made a "functionally pure" shopping basket this way as part of the Potter Kata:

code:
public class Checkout
{
    private readonly IEnumerable<string> _items;
    private const decimal ItemPrice = 8m;

public Checkout()
    {
        _items = Enumerable.Empty<string>();
    }

private Checkout(IEnumerable<string> items)
    {
        _items = items;
    }

public Checkout Scan(string item)
    {
        return new Checkout(_items.Concat(new List<string> {item}));
    }

public decimal Total()
    {
        return _items.Count()*ItemPrice;
    }
}

[Test]
public void GivenTwoOfSameItemThenPriceIsDouble()
{
    var total = new Checkout()
        .Scan("HP1")
        .Scan("HP1")
        .Total();

Assert.That(total, Is.EqualTo(16));
}

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Shy posted:

What's wrong with it?

You're modifying a variable using a getter, which at the very least, makes it harder to debug.

That's what I was doing when I stumbled upon to that gem.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Massive rant was incoming but I cooled down.

Short version: we have a Development branch and a feature branch for a pretty big epic so it has been open for a few months now. Yesterday someone finally, after these months, did a merge Development -> featureBranch to keep the second up to date. The part I work on has some big differences as for both the work continued. Because it was a list of so many items, he clicked "Accept Theirs" in the merge window for this entire module, commit this to the featureBranch and pushed to remote. The whole module was broken of course, so I wanted to do a revert but I cannot as git push --force is disabled for everyone by this same developer as "the people in this team are not proficient enough at git to have such a dangerous tool available to them".

I lost all day fixing that poo poo working around his bullshit merge. The only good thing was that I was WFH so I was not fired for cursing out my colleagues. Considering I walk away from this place in a week anyway, that would have been fun tho.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

If I get hired, I want to know that I am needed.

So, I am fairly sure you also posted complaints about management desiring too much from jr. dev and planning badly so there are crazy deadlines. If that was not you sorry :v:

Good management should hire people preemptively, because people need time to ramp up and become productive. This means that when you are being hired, you are not actually needed, because ideally the management is hiring you because they expect more dev work to be there in the next quarter. This means that there is no crazy pressure to perform right now, but also that there is no need for you, because there is enough time to interview and select for more people.

There are exceptions, generally consultants and senior level people are someone who can ramp-up quicker and who you look for when there is crunch, but as long as you are jr. programmer you are not, and should not be, needed.

If by needed you meant something more along the lines of "they have long-term plans for me", then that's obviously different, but still, it will be more of a "we have long-term plans for a jr. programmer", not "we have long-term plans for Pollyanna" :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Keetron posted:

Massive rant was incoming but I cooled down.

Short version: we have a Development branch and a feature branch for a pretty big epic so it has been open for a few months now. Yesterday someone finally, after these months, did a merge Development -> featureBranch to keep the second up to date. The part I work on has some big differences as for both the work continued. Because it was a list of so many items, he clicked "Accept Theirs" in the merge window for this entire module, commit this to the featureBranch and pushed to remote. The whole module was broken of course, so I wanted to do a revert but I cannot as git push --force is disabled for everyone by this same developer as "the people in this team are not proficient enough at git to have such a dangerous tool available to them".

I lost all day fixing that poo poo working around his bullshit merge. The only good thing was that I was WFH so I was not fired for cursing out my colleagues. Considering I walk away from this place in a week anyway, that would have been fun tho.

Revert creates a new commit and could be used in that situation. Reset, push force could not, and thats not a bad thing necessarily.

Not clear what your problem was.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

leper khan posted:

Revert creates a new commit and could be used in that situation. Reset, push force could not, and thats not a bad thing necessarily.

Not clear what your problem was.

^^^
Git revert HEAD
Git commit amend -c No dad gently caress you
Git push origin develop

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
this is totally a healthy and productive career move

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

streetlamp posted:

this is totally a healthy and productive career move

If not paying means no salary but two digits of equity; unironically maybe correct.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Edtech is dumb as hell, just read a book

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
im a developer at a university and yes, its extremely dumb. loving awful poo poo

e: guessing off where he is, its basically a full time internship for an adult prolly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doesn't NPR regularly run articles on how edtech has continually shown itself to be a scam and grift vehicle?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We have a lot of plugins and a common task is to make one. There are two ways I see to manage this from a code review standpoint:
1. Get the single commit that implements all requirements of the plugin, end-to-end, in one hit. Spin around on this with feedback and patches until it's set. When it's finally accepted, it's considered production-ready. The master is generally considered production-ready. The developer might make that initial single commit from a series of topic branch commits squashed together. They will also probably have to rebase the source a few times while this all is churning.
2. Get a sequence of commits for the plugin representing major "thoughts" towards fulfilling the plugin. This may still come from personal, squashed commits, but less of them. There will be more unique reviews but the reviews themselves would be shorter. When accepted, they aren't necessarily regarded as release-ready. Master is not considered production-ready. There is a mechanism for separating works-in-progress from production. Architectural work-in-progress code is "dark" in master until feature-complete.

Right now we're doing #1 and it's leading to reviews taking over a week sometimes, and also sometimes resulting in architecture (not plugin) changes that are so large that the reviewers can't really make sense of them any more. I'm looking at #2 as a greener pasture that might be just as bad.
The main problem with #1 isn't even that code reviews take a week -- that's a big issue too -- but you're waiting a huge amount of time before people are clued in that a developer has gone off the rails and implemented the absolute wrong thing. Do reviews frequently. Look over things frequently, before someone has wasted a week going off track. Doing dark architectural work against is one approach, I guess, and that's cool if you're okay with having dead, unreferenced code floating around master, but also consider doing more frequent code reviews (even informal ones) on your feature integration branches and then doing a final squash down to your master or develop branch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Those both sound pretty unpleasant, but I'd much rather do 2 than 1. More smaller code reviews are both less draining to do, and more likely to generate useful feedback.

Something like 2, but using feature branches so that master remains releasable would be my suggestion.

If you're seeing architectural changes requested in code reviews, that suggests to me that there need to be feature design reviews ahead of time. Especially on any feature long enough to take a month+ to implement, a 10-30 minute meeting to discuss the planned approach and how it fits into the existing framework before any code is written can save a lot of time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hughlander posted:

^^^
Git revert HEAD
Git commit amend -c No dad gently caress you
Git push origin develop

Thank you, you made me laugh.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

edtech has continually shown itself to be a scam and grift vehicle?

No doubt about it. "Here, buy our computer to learn instead of school" doesn't really work at all

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vulture Culture posted:

The main problem with #1 isn't even that code reviews take a week -- that's a big issue too -- but you're waiting a huge amount of time before people are clued in that a developer has gone off the rails and implemented the absolute wrong thing. Do reviews frequently. Look over things frequently, before someone has wasted a week going off track. Doing dark architectural work against is one approach, I guess, and that's cool if you're okay with having dead, unreferenced code floating around master, but also consider doing more frequent code reviews (even informal ones) on your feature integration branches and then doing a final squash down to your master or develop branch.

A secondary cultural thing I am battling in the scenarios I gave is that reviews should be for something being basically ready-to-ship. Let's say I do 50 lines to implement one unit of work towards feature X. I am liable to see "-1 Verify this doesn't do X."

TBH I might try doing multiple commits in a review with these guys again. I actually did that awhile ago and they got fixated on the head-most one.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A secondary cultural thing I am battling in the scenarios I gave is that reviews should be for something being basically ready-to-ship.
They should, for merges to master.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vulture Culture posted:

They should, for merges to master.

Merges to master shouldn't merit a code review. Merge master into your feature branch first, with review, and then merge back to master. That way if some jerk (kind, helpful, productive coworker) checks something into master while you're merging, or more likely, during the review, you can still commit the merge changes and easily pick up the new change.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

rt4 posted:

No doubt about it. "Here, buy our computer to learn instead of school" doesn't really work at all

Neither do those lazy teachers ami rite :bahgawd:?!

But seriously I'm not at all surprised "replace a teacher with a webapp" is a snake oil pit, but I bet making CMSs to facilitate communication and scheduling is probably good, non-scammy business. Also would bet most of them are trash fires, but honest, well-intentioned trash fires.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Munkeymon posted:

Neither do those lazy teachers ami rite :bahgawd:?!

But seriously I'm not at all surprised "replace a teacher with a webapp" is a snake oil pit, but I bet making CMSs to facilitate communication and scheduling is probably good, non-scammy business. Also would bet most of them are trash fires, but honest, well-intentioned trash fires.
Blackboard is the worst goddamn piece of software I have ever used. I'm not kidding when I say that Blackboard was the bane of my existence and made everything far more painful than it had to be. One update added two extra clicks to change grades vs. entering them, so if you make a mistake entering them the first time :rip:. You would make mistakes all the time because the software would just refuse to recognize that you pressed enter so while you're manually entering grades in because uploading a spreadsheet was far too opaque and painful that I'm still not sure anyone could actually do it, you would have to go back and correct a bunch because rows got misaligned because it didn't recognize that you hit enter.

Blackboard is a loving scam made by awful people who hate teachers and professors and if you can find your way into that market you will have a ton of university IT departments that will ignore you because they're trapped by loving Blackboard and cannot hear the screams of the people forced to use it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LLSix posted:

Merges to master shouldn't merit a code review.

This just seems like willfully talking past each other. The thing that will somehow, some way merged to master should be reviewed and squashed down to 1 commit.

Quibbling over the precise ordering of those steps, or proscribing precisely when feature branches are rebased relative to master, or a million other little tangents seems unproductive.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Blackboard is a loving scam made by awful people who hate teachers and professors and if you can find your way into that market you will have a ton of university IT departments that will ignore you because they're trapped by loving Blackboard and cannot hear the screams of the people forced to use it.

Most enterprise software is terrible and supported by a combination of long-term contracts and bureaucratic inertia. Academia must be even worse, since I can't think of anything else that's so exemplified by bureaucratic inertia except the government.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I'm thinking experiment number 1 is getting reviews of in-progress work that doesn't immediately spun onto master. This might be pissing in the wind, but I'll see how people react to me again sending up a review of a few commits at a time not even set up to hit master.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I kinda refuse to work in edtech. Ive never seen anything good about it. Im sure people will get mad at me for that, but I just dont get a good feeling from it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
You're currently unemployed and have been bouncing from job to job where you've never found satisfaction. Maybe don't artificially limit yourself?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're currently unemployed and have been bouncing from job to job where you've never found satisfaction. Maybe don't artificially limit yourself?

Is Pollyanna unemployed again?

What???

I must of missed something. I thought they just had a bad job again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I think Pollyanna has settled for enough poo poo jobs and should try to hold out for something that's tolerable.