Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Novum posted:

Also the bad stuff like turf toe and bloody knees will come naturally but whatever man

Theres a girl in our gym who is just destroying toes when she spazzes out from bottom in mount. Two fellows with turf toe for like 6 months. Never grape vine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

General Emergency posted:

He can always be that guy who uses the judo terms for BJJ moves.

I do once in a while, unfortunately, but usually out of necessity to distinguish one thing from another. Danaher has caused "sangaku" to slip into my vocabulary to refer to the strangle specifically, and allowing me to say things like "triangle his leg" separately. Yesterday I said something like "an arm bar. No the other kind of arm bar... no a straight arm bar... no a juji gatame" when trying to distinguish a keylock from a straight crushing arm bar from a straight pulling arm bar in a technique we were drilling. More often than not I'll use "kesa gatame" and "kuzuri kesa gatame" for mutual distinction, too, and "yoko shiho" to mean specific, technical side control as opposed to general "side control" (i.e. kesa gatame and yoko shiho are specific kinds of side control).

And of course I only ever use japanese terms for throws.

The other part is that my training partners now understand me when I start doing this.

I'm not sure if it's "please halp i have a problem:ohdear:," but the vocabulary is useful.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yeah. My post was kind of just a dig at how much of BJJ is just Judo but pretending it's not. :P

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

General Emergency posted:

He can always be that guy who uses the judo terms for BJJ moves.

I'd be the guy who uses made up Chinese terms.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Anyone got recommendations on good Muay Thai gyms in Sacramento/CA?

I'd also be interested in a Hapkido gym if anyone can personally attest for a decent one. In my experience these are few and far between and usually poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

cigaw posted:

Anyone got recommendations on good Muay Thai gyms in Sacramento/CA?

I'd also be interested in a Hapkido gym if anyone can personally attest for a decent one. In my experience these are few and far between and usually poo poo.

Hapkido is like systema, i.e. insanely dumb and I don't think a "good" Hapkido gym exists on this earth.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Not to get into an argument on this, but Hapkido is as good as any other martial art as long as you know what you're getting and set your expectations accordingly. It's good exercise and it's fun. I've trained iy for a long time and know what to expect if I were to come back to it. Plus, I already have my running shoes so I don't need to defeat 5 people in a dark alleyway using magical joint locks and spinning kicks.

I understand that a lot of martial arts out there tout the whole "one-stop shop for self defense" thing and this rightfully rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but frankly this thread is unnecessarily aggressive about anything that isn't boxing, muay thai or BJJ.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

only thing you're getting into with hapkido is a sleeveless kimono and a room full of dudes with ponytails

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
If the gi's sleeveless then they're doing it wrong. You have to spend at least 2 years learning to defend from sleeve grabs before you graduate to ponytail grabs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cigaw posted:

Not to get into an argument on this, but Hapkido is as good as any other martial art as long as you know what you're getting and set your expectations accordingly. It's good exercise and it's fun. I've trained iy for a long time and know what to expect if I were to come back to it. Plus, I already have my running shoes so I don't need to defeat 5 people in a dark alleyway using magical joint locks and spinning kicks.

I understand that a lot of martial arts out there tout the whole "one-stop shop for self defense" thing and this rightfully rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but frankly this thread is unnecessarily aggressive about anything that isn't boxing, muay thai or BJJ.

I say this every time an Aikido enthusiast shows up, but please stick around and keep posting. The thread needs more TMA posters to balance out the thread consensus for recreational questions. When people show up with TMA questions there's nobody around to answer them without a thick layer of qualification and hypotheticals.

The usual thread cycle is that an Aikido guy arrives, we make friends initially, and he's like "yeah I just do it for fun it's ok" and then the next day he starts in on the "my chi machine something something full resistance wrist locks and we knock the guy out when he tries to shoot for a takedown" and a he gets called out on it and he gets all defensive and then he disappears forever. My theory is that Aikido also teaches bad posting. Maybe Hapkido guy will have thicker skin?

Anyway the other flip side of the "thread hostility" that you should consider is that many people in the thread are martial arts obsessed, and have tried lots of stuff before settling on their present hobbies. For my own part, I have taken classes in BJJ, Judo, boxing, Shotokan Karate, Muai Thai, kickboxing, wrestling, fencing, and medieval-style sword fighting. I've been present for and watched classes in TKD, and Aikido. I've sparred or trained with practitioners of Krav Maga, Wing Chun, various military "Combative" systems, and pretty much every other kind of Japanese or Okinawan karate which exists. (I've never typed all of them out before) I'm pro Judo/BJJ/Boxing/MT/Wrestling/Kickboxing because they're the most fun to train, the best workouts, they have the best gym cultures, and they actually work for fighting people.

Now I know that what's right for me isn't right for everyone, and that people have fun doing other things, but I'm going to steer people towards the things that I like.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

cigaw posted:

frankly this thread is unnecessarily aggressive about anything that isn't boxing, muay thai or BJJ.

Most people who come in here are interested in learning how to fight, and it seems like a dick move to point them towards suboptimal methods when they usually have access to provably better ones.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Most people who come in here are interested in learning how to fight, and it seems like a dick move to point them towards suboptimal methods when they usually have access to provably better ones.

This.

I collect martial arts like baseball cards and it's all good fun, I've studied Wing Chun, the different flavors of Kali/Escrima, JKD, and various other things on top of doing consistent practice in BJJ/No Gi grappling. If someone comes in here and says, "Hey what would be a fun thing to learn." I'd be more than willing to point out that the TMA's all are pretty cool in their own way if you can get away from cult of the master poo poo that certain schools have you can see the unique history of the cultures that created them and learn some pretty neat looking things, but if the question is "What can I learn that will give me a work out and/or prepare me to fight?" I can't recommend anything besides the standard grappling and striking styles that produce honest to god fighters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, I have no problems discussion the wide range of martial arts as they're taught -- it's superbly interesting to me.

But if someone is looking for either a good Muay Thai gym or a good hapkido gym, I don't really equate the two, because one has such a deeper competition focus and field.

Of what I could find of hapkido non-forms competition, it seems like a point-scoring ruleset, with a style that seems similar to TKD with sweeps/throws allowed?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmBTyELo2KM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJX4L304PSo

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's way more interesting than the competitive aikido videos we had a while back.

Or heck, Olympic TKD. :v:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Ya'll make good points and I apologize for not opening with my own experience and expectations. I've trained in multiple martial arts for over 15 years, from traditional stuff like shotokan karate to more fighting oriented things like Muay Thai, with somewhat little-known systems thrown in for good measure. I like to think I can tell most of the chaff from the wheat and can set realistic expectations regarding the different martial arts. I frankly tend to have more fun with traditional MAs.

I'm not looking to become the next batman or even compete. I like sparring and more contact-oriented martial arts like Thai and I also like more athletic, for lack of a better word, disciplines like Hapkido and some aspects of taekwondo. poo poo's just fun. I do not like ground fighting and, while I recognize BJJ is great at what they do - hell, I grew up in Brazil - I just don't like the main aspect that drives the entire practice.

Sorry if I became a bit defensive, but I'm sure you can see why I'd do that when the question "any good gym recommendations for this martial art?" is answered with "that martial art is poo poo". Hope we're all on the same page now.

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I have no problems discussion the wide range of martial arts as they're taught -- it's superbly interesting to me.

But if someone is looking for either a good Muay Thai gym or a good hapkido gym, I don't really equate the two, because one has such a deeper competition focus and field.

Of what I could find of hapkido non-forms competition, it seems like a point-scoring ruleset, with a style that seems similar to TKD with sweeps/throws allowed?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmBTyELo2KM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJX4L304PSo
In my experience, Hapkido competitive sparring starts out basically like taekwondo and then progresses as the hapkidokas gain more experience, eventually reaching a points-based + submission system with striking, takedowns, some ground fighting and sometimes joint manipulation as well - though usually restricted to the ground aspect as a means of submission.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

cigaw posted:

I do not like ground fighting and, while I recognize BJJ is great at what they do - hell, I grew up in Brazil - I just don't like the main aspect that drives the entire practice.

I'm curious as to why exactly

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BJJ in Brazil probably has a different vibe. Somebody once told me that there was a violent youth subculture interwoven with it, but not a source I trust.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

JaySB posted:

I'm curious as to why exactly
A good part of it is just the ground fighting itself. I just don't like rolling around on the ground with another dude on top of me trying to go for a submission or whatever. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Plus, every single gym I went to and tried out for a class or two had a pretty lovely culture associated with it. To choose a single example, they consistently don't wash their gi so it stinks to high heaven. You know, so your adversary will be disgusted and you gain that little bit of an edge that maybe allows you gain an advantage. Tons of guys admitted to smearing ammonia on their shoulder so they could force their opponents faces there and again gain some sort of advantage. poo poo like that rubs me wrong way; it's not only disgusting in more levels than one, but it's ridiculously unsportsmanlike.

Also,

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

BJJ in Brazil probably has a different vibe. Somebody once told me that there was a violent youth subculture interwoven with it, but not a source I trust.
This is absolutely true. Not exclusive to BJJ but, in my experience, it featured very heavily there.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

cigaw posted:

A good part of it is just the ground fighting itself. I just don't like rolling around on the ground with another dude on top of me trying to go for a submission or whatever. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Plus, every single gym I went to and tried out for a class or two had a pretty lovely culture associated with it. To choose a single example, they consistently don't wash their gi so it stinks to high heaven. You know, so your adversary will be disgusted and you gain that little bit of an edge that maybe allows you gain an advantage. Tons of guys admitted to smearing ammonia on their shoulder so they could force their opponents faces there and again gain some sort of advantage. poo poo like that rubs me wrong way; it's not only disgusting in more levels than one, but it's ridiculously unsportsmanlike.

Also,

This is absolutely true. Not exclusive to BJJ but, in my experience, it featured very heavily there.

lol did cobra kai open up a bjj division

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

New thread name right there.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

cigaw posted:

Point 1: Get good and you don't have to be a bottom. I don't like getting kicked and punched in the face so I spent a bunch of time learning how to avoid that.
Point 2: Haven't had that experience at all, our gym and most other gyms I train at mandate cleanliness. Washed gis, trimmed nails, etc etc.

edit:

I'm certainly not trying to convert you, I just feel like your logic is flawed, and it's gotta feel really lovely if you spar MMA with someone and you spent the last 15 years practicing how to kick and punch and someone shoots a double leg and mauls you instantly.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

JaySB posted:

edit: I'm certainly not trying to convert you, I just feel like your logic is flawed, and it's gotta feel really lovely if you spar MMA with someone and you spent the last 15 years practicing how to kick and punch and someone shoots a double leg and mauls you instantly.

How is "I do not like BJJ" flawed? I went to about 4 gyms and did at least a full class in each, more if I knew the instructor or some of the students. Sure, blue belts and up would wipe the floor with me but my other forays into martial arts gave me enough game where I could roll with most white belts on something of an even field instead of spazzing out and just trying to muscle my way into guard. All the cleanliness stuff matters, sure, but it's incidental. It's also not a matter of losing, it's simply a matter of I don't like the sport.

Not everyone needs to like the same stuff, man. I prefer to stand and strike with the occasional takedown. Other people like to roll. :shrug:

Wangsbig posted:

Granted that my experiences were limited to Sao Paulo gyms and this was all 7-8 years ago so I don't know if any of it is still relevant but yes, Ralph Macchio would have a hard time fitting in.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 4, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

cigaw posted:

Granted that my experiences were limited to Sao Paulo gyms and this was all 7-8 years ago so I don't know if any of it is still relevant but yes, Ralph Macchio would have a hard time fitting in.
So you're saying it's exactly like kung fu films with rival clans and judo gang warfare?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

cigaw posted:

It's also not a matter of losing, it's simply a matter of I don't like the sport.

Not everyone needs to like the same stuff, man. I prefer to stand and strike with the occasional takedown.

Nobody said you need to like ground fighting, man. Your reasons for not liking it are not really good ones, unless you're a homophobe I guess

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you're saying it's exactly like kung fu films with rival clans and judo gang warfare?

No. Please stop asking things like this.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

JaySB posted:

Nobody said you need to like ground fighting, man. Your reasons for not liking it are not really good ones, unless you're a homophobe I guess

I really don't see how that's your takeaway from this conversation, but fine. Text doesn't convey tone well and oversimplifications may be taken for more than I intended so maybe I'm at fault here and I'll try again.

I don't like to be on the ground, the techniques and type of sparring in the sport do not appeal to me and I did not like the culture surrounding the gyms I went to. This is as cut and dry as I can make it and I frankly don't see how any of it is unreasonable.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't know how but I put a lot of effort into being the worst poster in this thread and you've effortlessly surpassed me.

I'm joining a legit mma gym soon, now I've moved to the centre of my city I'm close to one of the best local mma gyms that's affiliated with an internationally competitive bjj gym. I'm going to get hosed up and will have to start posting seriously soon I think.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JaySB posted:

Erh, I also really don't see the appeal in rolling around the ground, with another person on top of you. I can see the appeal of it in a MMA context, but BJJ-only competitions are extremely boring to watch.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erh, I also really don't see the appeal in rolling around the ground, with another person on top of you.

Learn how to get up and play top then.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just refereed a Judo tournament for the first time - teenage and kids divisions. No major cock-ups, but I couldn't coordinate my hands to properly wave off points. I was finding it confusing like trying to pass some kind of demented field sobriety test.

Had some disagreements with the other officials at my mat but didn't argue with them too much. Quite a few times one fighter would fail a drop seoi nage and their opponent would fluidly take the back, and then both fighters would fall to one side or another, and the judges would award a waza-ari to the initial attacking fighter, even though they had no control.

For one division (U14 - old enough for scoring but not old enough for overtime) we had to be prepared to pick a winner in the event of a tie. One thing which I found was interesting psychologically - which gives me empathy for MMA judges - is that for the first part of the fight I wouldn't be thinking very much in terms of who was winning the decision, because I was assuming/expecting a stoppage, so the final 30 seconds or so tended to weigh much heavier, once I "oops I might actually have to pick a winner here..." became real. Until that point, watching for points and fouls was really my primary duty.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ImplicitAssembler posted:

but BJJ-only competitions are extremely boring to watch.

Agreed, especially as exclusive bjj doesn't work in mma anymore it's been fairly over played and considering its invention was to dominate mma it carrying on as a sport seems redundant.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

willie_dee posted:

Agreed, especially as exclusive bjj doesn't work in mma anymore it's been fairly over played and considering its invention was to dominate mma it carrying on as a sport seems redundant.

oh man there is a lot to unpack in this post

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cigaw posted:

In my experience, Hapkido competitive sparring starts out basically like taekwondo and then progresses as the hapkidokas gain more experience, eventually reaching a points-based + submission system with striking, takedowns, some ground fighting and sometimes joint manipulation as well - though usually restricted to the ground aspect as a means of submission.
Can you link some video that represents the most style "correct" competition or sparring? YouTube is dominated by form demos, which are way different to the sparring that I found.

JaySB posted:

Learn how to get up and play top then.
To be fair, the only way to do that is to spend hundreds of hours on the bottom. In the standup arts, you just roll back to your feet after every throw/trip.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

oh man there is a lot to unpack in this post

Let's not indulge Willie

kimbo305 posted:

To be fair, the only way to do that is to spend hundreds of hours on the bottom. In the standup arts, you just roll back to your feet after every throw/trip.

I'm aware and am mostly just trolling.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

I'm aware and am mostly just trolling.

Don't you start otherwise there will be no one left posting earnestly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

There’s an MMA gym in Japan called Cobra Kai, and they won’t give out a belt (not even blue) until you win gold at a tournament of a certain level. Cool guys, though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's a Cobra Kai Jiu Jitsu in Vegas. They're notorious for not giving out belts.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Did a really great seminar with Jeff Glover on Saturday in San Pedro where he covered Deep Half guard concepts and capped it off with a really great transition into 50/50 from deep half (ill be drilling that one for a while). He even demonstrated Donkey guard :D Totally worth the money. He went around and he really helped everyone out and was cracking a lot of jokes. Made the 1.5 hour long seminar fly by!!

One of the better seminars I have attended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Did a really great seminar with Jeff Glover on Saturday in San Pedro where he covered Deep Half guard concepts and capped it off with a really great transition into 50/50 from deep half (ill be drilling that one for a while). He even demonstrated Donkey guard :D Totally worth the money. He went around and he really helped everyone out and was cracking a lot of jokes. Made the 1.5 hour long seminar fly by!!

One of the better seminars I have attended.

I've known Jeff forever, easily one of the most creative people in jiu jitsu.