Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I can't believe that was a triple stumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't believe that was a triple stumper

I thought Nietzsche but the real answer was pretty oh, sure.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

If the category was "19th Century Artists" or something like that, hell yeah, van Gogh is the easy answer, but "19th Century Europeans" is a pretty huge field, so it'd be really easy to run out of time thinking of likely answers and miss a more obvious one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My initial guess was Tesla, then I decided they probably would probably consider him American, especially by 1889, so I changed it to Percy Shelley. I didn't even think of VanGogh at all.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I guess when I think "crazy guy who talks to his brother a lot," Van Gogh is top of mind. I blame Dr. Who

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's one of those ones that's glaringly obvious when you hear the answer but if you start down the wrong path after hearing the clue, you'll never get it. Case in point w/ yesterday's, my wife and I both immediately started trying to remember the royal families of the time and if any of them were considered nuts.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

puppets freak me out posted:

If the category was "19th Century Artists" or something like that, hell yeah, van Gogh is the easy answer, but "19th Century Europeans" is a pretty huge field, so it'd be really easy to run out of time thinking of likely answers and miss a more obvious one.

This. The category should have been more specific, the question was too broad and could have applied to many different individuals. I guessed Nietzsche too since he literally wrote insane letters ruminating on madness to friends and family at that exact time.

Otherwise the last couple of weeks have been super easy, or maybe the contestants have been unusually uninspiring. I'd be a 17 day in a row champion by now.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I guess when I think "crazy guy who talks to his brother a lot," Van Gogh is top of mind. I blame Dr. Who

Indeed. :-)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I thought it was easy. Crazy + brother + 19th century makes Van Gogh a lock. Theo is almost as famous as Vincent these days given their well documented relationship

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was more surprised the Mycroft Holmes question the other day was a triple stumper, he might be obscure on paper but he has a major role on the TV show.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

haveblue posted:

I was more surprised the Mycroft Holmes question the other day was a triple stumper, he might be obscure on paper but he has a major role on the TV show.

For a good laugh, call MYCROFTXXX.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I will miss Rachel and her oddly-spaced teeth.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

I will miss Rachel and her oddly-spaced teeth.

Rachael is bae.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus these people suck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus these people suck.

This year has been very, very bad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It would be funny if none of them could go to final jeopardy because they were in the red.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's like the end of the Matrix Trilogy, where it's just a whole bunch of Smiths, except it's Wolf Blitzers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ryan rallied at least to restore honor to his family name

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ryan rallied at least to restore honor to his family name
He didn't do that badly if you treat those last couple first-round clues as correct off the bat instead of Double Jeopardy pickups

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ryan seems like the kind of person you'd like to punch in the face if you knew him IRL.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Oh my god, Ryan’s little “come at me” gesture at the end of that game made me literally say “gently caress off” at my tv

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I think I don't like him because he has precisely no business wearing a leather jacket. Lean in to your nerdiness, man, get one of those tweed jackets or something.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm rooting against Ryan.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

He won me over with that rally today, and also with his obvious pride in his new leather jacket

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
For real, the shows have been pretty loving boring so to see him come back in just 3 questions to win a decent prize was awesome.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Like his ability to pull out a win but still want someone to steal his lunch money and give him a swirly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't get to make a gesture like that when you've been trailing for most of the game. He was getting outplayed until he got lucky.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah and his opponents have mostly been poo poo

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I haven't really been paying attention to the contestants lately but the way they were dressed was loving with me until I looked closely.

Very similar haircuts, similar color schemes in outfits, similar glasses.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That football category was brought to you by the letter Y, I, K, E and S.

Even Alex totally gave up on them.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hahha that football category was amazing

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The last two posters summed it up so I’ll just say lol

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Once they couldn't associate Tom Landry and the Cowboys it was all over.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ryan has some impressive comebacks but he annoys me because he isn't using optimal strategy!

Like on Wednesday's game he was ahead with 10400 and the next guy had 10200 and Ryan got the last clue and it was the daily double

The most important thing is to make sure you're in first place going into final jeopardy. So you should bet less than 200 in that situation. But he wagered 4000 wtf? He got it right though so he was still leading going into final.

But then on Thursday he was in first place and wagered 4000 again on a late daily double and lost his first place position. He was just lucky the guy who was in first place didn't get final.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the gently caress do you not know fair catch at least.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The only one I knew was the Tom Landry one. And I only knew it from watching 'King of the Hill'

:colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress do you not know fair catch at least.

Yeah, :same: although that was the only one in that category that I knew.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
@Jeopardy getting harsh

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/959267654438547456

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

*blank stare*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas