Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Smoking Crow posted:

i mean

it's only 1 month in 2018, there's a lot of shows coming up

bar's set really high
100% Anime of this season tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Nothing this year will literally top this, but that's okay. Shows can be good (or bad) in very different ways.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

wielder posted:

Nothing this year will literally top this, but that's okay. Shows can be good (or bad) in very different ways.

I can certainly see it being AOTY for a lot of people, but I have a feeling recency effect will color the discussion in December.

ear, especially after seeing what spring and summer announcements hold.

Devilman Lady reimagining loving when Netflix?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

bar's set really high
100% Anime of this season tho.

If you put a gun to my head as far as anime this season go RIGHT NOW, it would be really tough between this and Pop Team Epic since despite the fact this show is leagues better in technical, writing, and showmanship, both have been on my mind about equally as much. Plus Darling in the Franxx might end up good, it's hooked me after a weak episode 1.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

devilman crybaby isnt even the best show of this season, due to a place further than the universe

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

devilman crybaby isnt even the best show of this season, due to a place further than the universe

That's like the March comes in like a lion or Rakugo of the season though, aka everyone says it's good but nobody actually watched it, even if they should.

The "LotGH" of the year, if you would.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That's like the March comes in like a lion or Rakugo of the season though, aka everyone says it's good but nobody actually watched it.

The "LotGH" of the year, if you would.

im watching it, op

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

im watching it, op

I mean yes but can you count enough people else watching it to use all your fingers and toes?

It won't be like Made in Abyss or Land of the Lustrous which have compelling fantastical elements to get the following it probably deserves, and it's on crunchyroll so access shouldn't be an issue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I mean yes but can you count enough people else watching it to use all your fingers and toes?

It won't be like Made in Abyss or Land of the Lustrous which have compelling fantastical elements to get the following it probably deserves, and it's on crunchyroll so access shouldn't be an issue.
it feels like a decent number of people with Blogs and stuff are recommending it and it has a non-zero amount of twitter fanart so some people will probably watch it

also, the discussion was the best show of the year quality-wise, not the show that will be voted best of the year by a jury of our peers

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Crybaby and Antarctica are both real good, but I'll hand it to Crybaby thus far for staying on my mind so hard. Maybe by the end of the season my mind will change, though.

I love Pop Team Epic but it just doesn't have staying power in my mind like the other two I actually bother to watch this season.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

also, the discussion was the best show of the year quality-wise, not the show that will be voted best of the year by a jury of our peers

ah, so that's why I never vote

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Xinder posted:

Crybaby and Antarctica are both real good, but I'll hand it to Crybaby thus far for staying on my mind so hard. Maybe by the end of the season my mind will change, though.

I love Pop Team Epic but it just doesn't have staying power in my mind like the other two I actually bother to watch this season.

Fair. I think Pop team epic had me by the metaphorical balls since I was a fan of the web comic and the anime had only expanded upon it for me and given an easier thing to share with friends who didn't initially "get" the comic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fanart to make up for terrible posts

Source: http://anellatulip.tumblr.com/post/169673116219/mikimiko-whom-else-cried-like-a-baby-when-they

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbnuwqP46Y

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

God dammit I was having a drink when I watched this

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

i am a child for laughing at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8EBUIGwe70

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

LeSquide posted:

God dammit I was having a drink when I watched this

Honestly the Ryo impression is so drat good it's what really sells the jokes

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

"the boob" is the only part that really got me. But it got me good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/aestheticsweeb/status/954439015947816962

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like how much Yuasa characters squash and stretch when they eat and drink.

Also this is my new favorite Devilman meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFwvEmEKxE

This duet is pretty nice too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2cru1qZNw

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 31, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

facebook messenger has a few gifs from this already

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aww man, happier times :unsmith:

Hey it's my old friend Ryo!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Everyone deserves an old friend like Ryo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Turbocrit/status/958438156105236480

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I guess that you could argue theoretically that Ryo wasn’t gay, but only because it’s unclear how deep the Ryo personality is and how much Satan identifies as male (or what they identify as at all). Certainly not something you want to really go to bat for, though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If Ryo is nonbinary due to being Satan that just makes Ryo/Akira an even gayer pairing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so when Ryo was a little Satan-tyke why were there a bunch of special ops soldiers there trying to kill him? Were they some sort of anti-Satan task force or were they just there to kill a bunch of indigenous people for shits and giggles?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

CharlestonJew posted:

so when Ryo was a little Satan-tyke why were there a bunch of special ops soldiers there trying to kill him? Were they some sort of anti-Satan task force or were they just there to kill a bunch of indigenous people for shits and giggles?

Honestly, I assumed the latter. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on at that point in the story.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I thought Jenny and co. were possessing/controlling the soldiers to find Satan or something

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Finished watching Go Nagai World. I'd rank it just above the OVAs and just below Crybaby in terms of enjoyment. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Now we're done diving through Devilman adaptations and it's time to wait for the preorder of the manga to come in.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The Lady chapter where Jun walks into a boxing gym, boxes the heavy bag off the chain and then leaves without saying a word FTW

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Laughing My rear end Off

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Would it technically make it a threesome between Ryo Satan, Akira and whatever is technically left of Amon?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Crabtree posted:

Would it technically make it a threesome between Ryo Satan, Akira and whatever is technically left of Amon?

I believe it's called the devil's threeway.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Devilman: It's Okay When it's in a Threeway

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Yumi Tada for a devilman artbook

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Giant hands proves it's yoai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU