Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The pro version didn't have enough name dropping earwolf forums users like Anistasia Vigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Cloks posted:

Hollywood Handbook pro version is exactly what I've been missing from Hollywood Handbook. It's a good return to the old bits they've abandoned while working in newer stuff like Chef Kevin.

How long was the episode? I heard the Pro version referred to as minisodes.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

knows a black guy posted:

How long was the episode? I heard the Pro version referred to as minisodes.

40 minutes? It felt pretty short but I couldn't tell if that was just because of no ads.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Shunkymonky posted:

Now to patiently wait for Hollywood Handbook Pro Version to appear on the unofficial RSS feeds

I've heard it's on the Howl app, is it on the Howl website or just Stitcher Premium?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cloks posted:

Hollywood Handbook pro version is exactly what I've been missing from Hollywood Handbook. It's a good return to the old bits they've abandoned while working in newer stuff like Chef Kevin.

Yep. It's all the old stuff I love, but now I pay for it and that makes it feel at least $5 better.

"Listen: I don't see this movie but I love read the book."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Listening to the latest James Bonding, I feel like hungover Matt Gourley sounds just a bit like H. Jon Benjamin.

Gourley definitely wanted to get that ep over with as soon as possible

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
:thunk: i hope theres someone at earwolf/scripps noticing that I only subscribe to their thing when sean and/or hayes do the good stuff, and I can't imagine im the only one

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Geez y'all weren't kidding, I had to use the third party RSS feed to manually download the episode because the Stitcher site is busted

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

fuckin corker of an i4h episode. HI-larious

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think I may wait for the 90% off thing again? I would rather just patron Sean and Hayes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s a report out at the moment that says most people are listening to complete episodes, and not skipping ads. Has to be a good thing for networks/advertisers.

I mash that +15sec button like no tomorrow in most shows I listen to personally, but hey.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s a report out at the moment that says most people are listening to complete episodes, and not skipping ads. Has to be a good thing for networks/advertisers.

I mash that +15sec button like no tomorrow in most shows I listen to personally, but hey.

I usually skip scotty auks spiel WITH BUT THE CLICK OF A MOUSE MY DEAR BOY!

But I stick around for the boys.

e: I always stick around for the plug bag tho

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I always skip CBB ads now because Scott does them all in the same rambly way and takes forever to get to the point.

I never skip a Handbook ad because they have fun doing them. They should release a Santaman supercut on the new Pro Version feed. Hwee Hwee Hwee!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My steering wheel doesn't have a skip button so I listen to every second of everything

cams
Mar 28, 2003

most podcast people have an "ad voice" and i appreciate that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I find that if I pause a podcast for a day or two then later go back and pick up where I left off, it starts up in the middle of an ad. Every time. I'm guessing there are plenty of really solid episodes that I never finished because my brain subconsciously got annoyed by an ad and turned it off.

Out of sheer laziness, I will listen to one ad. It means I don't have to mess with skipping forward and back a few times to find the end of the ad, but any more than that and I'm skipping until they're over or just turning the podcast off. And since the CBB ad blocks are like 6 minutes long and Scott's ad reads are so annoying, I always skip on CBB and don't even listen to the one.

Never skip for the boys, though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. For me it’s the length of the ads more than anything. I’d sit through an ad that was a minute long but once Scott starts on an ad I know I’m about to lose 10 minutes of my life. Same with HDTGM, tough I think they got better about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ads across Earwolf shows have consistently gotten longer. I assume it's a Scripps demand.

Even on HH the ads are so long now that I lose track of what was happening in the episode proper before they cut back.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EL BROMANCE posted:

It specifically mentions Hollywood Handbook too!
https://www.wired.com/story/apple-podcast-analytics-first-month

Wired article posted:

There’s also reason to believe that ads on podcasts will become increasingly entertaining—something so organic to a show itself that you might not want to skip it. “When it really does feel like part of a show, there’s less of a skip rate, which just confirms what we’ve been telling advertisers for years and years,” says Midroll’s Diehn, noting that when Earwolf put Hollywood Handbook on Stitcher Premium and removed the show’s ads, listeners actually complained. “Native spots in the style of the show keep people engaged, keep them from skipping, and now we have data that frankly proves it.”

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I hadn’t actually read it but read the summary on Daring Fireball.

And yes, CBB is the primary thing behind my button mashing. They’re long and often stack two in a row. It’s too much and they’re not fun to listen to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they heard that Andy Daly Podcast Pilot where the audience is yelling out the names of sponsors and thought "these morons will listen to anything"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I signed up for a free Stitcher premium trial for the Ready Player One teaser freezer, in which Sean pointed out that you could probably use trial codes every month forever

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Man I don't always listen to HDTGM but Jason and Jessica St. Clair almost coming to blows over whether or not her relatives in South Philly owned Faberge eggs was great

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

fuckin corker of an i4h episode. HI-larious

Definitely, I really enjoyed acoustic K flay too. Eugene is one of my favorites, I enjoy when he plays a really stupid person.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hollywood Handbook is the clear exception to the advertisement rule. Also they have also clearly pissed off advertisers due to the fact that they openly poo poo on the product or just ramble comically.

It’s just funny to hear the same ad copy across two podcasts.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

soggybagel posted:

Hollywood Handbook is the clear exception to the advertisement rule. Also they have also clearly pissed off advertisers due to the fact that they openly poo poo on the product or just ramble comically.

It’s just funny to hear the same ad copy across two podcasts.

Whee whee whee wheee

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The Horrifying Matt Mira story makes me think there's going to be a replacement host if they get a 3rd season of James Bonding.

Matt Gourley's genuine concern for Mira's health just proving again that he's the best person in podcasting.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Did Matt Mira get stuck under a golf cart again or something?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
No, a panic attack that required paramedics to attend. And then immediately afterwards he flew home to LA to record an episode of James Bonding.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

Definitely, I really enjoyed acoustic K flay too. Eugene is one of my favorites, I enjoy when he plays a really stupid person.

:same:

Also, it seems too obvious to warrant comment, but PFT is a fantastic I4H guest despite his lack of formal improv training. He's just a delight whenever he's on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Finally doing the Stitcher thing. Are there any current codes to extend the trial or anything?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finally doing the Stitcher thing. Are there any current codes to extend the trial or anything?

Try

HANDBOOK

BONKERS

or

BOND

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

feedmyleg posted:

Ads across Earwolf shows have consistently gotten longer. I assume it's a Scripps demand.

Even on HH the ads are so long now that I lose track of what was happening in the episode proper before they cut back.

I think a lot of that is that they don't really pay attention to the time on the ads if they're enjoying doin g it . There have defeinitely been older ads where they stopped after like two minutes and asked "Wait, how long have we been doing this? Oh wow, ok" and ended

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I think a lot of that is that they don't really pay attention to the time on the ads if they're enjoying doin g it . There have defeinitely been older ads where they stopped after like two minutes and asked "Wait, how long have we been doing this? Oh wow, ok" and ended

This really explains the ~15 minute or so ad block in today's Spont. I love that show with all my heart, but i can't stand the ads he does with Scott Aukerman or Lauren Lapkis because they go on for-loving-ever and are always "man on the street" style improv interviews.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

all time great ad to start today's hwood hbook

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cams posted:

all time great ad to start today's hwood hbook

It's very smart and unprecedented.

And how about those Aziz movies!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
in today’s rocky political climate im glad to see the boys take such a strong stance against statutory rape in the world of warships ad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Glad the boys finally noticed how many of the worst episodes of the year were HH but they're not going to change that with Corny Nick Wiger.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

catching up on hollywood handbook and sean obliquely referencing both adam pally's cocaine addiction and jimmy fallon's alcoholism in the jen statsky episode had me rolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The boys referencing something sensitive too soon and then immediately changing the subject is my favorite part of HH.