Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of reading the interlude chapter of the last volume. I'm not sure if it's an actual chapter or if it's a big troll by the translator.

That was some depraved poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

I made the mistake of reading the interlude chapter of the last volume. I'm not sure if it's an actual chapter or if it's a big troll by the translator.

That was some depraved poo poo.

It was a troll by the translator.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's some nasty fuckers in nazarick, but demiurge is by far the worst of the lot. sebas is the only good person, and that's because touchme wasn't into the whole jokey super evil npc stuff.

CZ Delta and Yuri Alpha are also good. Cocytus is neutral and quite a few of the Homuclus Maids are good too. But they are outnumbered by the number of evil ones in the place.

But yeah Demiurge is by far the most evil NPC. Sebas is outright stated as hating him, and all the other NPC's are ether afraid of him or if they are his equals respect him, but don't like him much.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 31, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Demiurge did nothing wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Demiurge did nothing wrong.

Other then kidnapping people and forcing them to eat each other for his amusement, and skinning them alive.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other then kidnapping people and forcing them to eat each other for his amusement, and skinning them alive.

Has that happened in the show? If not, :ssh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Has that happened in the show? If not, :ssh:

He just reported he was skinning people and making them into scrolls for Nazarick to use.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
skinning people, healing them with magic, and then skinning them again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

skinning people, healing them with magic, and then skinning them again.

Well I did not know that. Thats even worse. (To be expected from Demiurge.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was a troll by the translator.

Thank god, I was traumatized by that thing. I already thought the scene prior was really hosed up as it was.

Also wish they stop translating "paralyzed" as "like a puppet with all its strings cut". I don't even get the joke there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He just reported he was skinning people and making them into scrolls for Nazarick to use.

Sheep! Sheep from the kingdom. Did nothing wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

Thank god, I was traumatized by that thing. I already thought the scene prior was really hosed up as it was.

Also wish they stop translating "paralyzed" as "like a puppet with all its strings cut". I don't even get the joke there.

That is pretty much another joke from that translator. Like him giving the titles of several chanters in the most recent novel as Breeding Sow 1/2 instead of their real ones. It's not particualry funny. A translation without all the jokes comes eventually.

Stuff involving Demiurge is still dark however.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 31, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Demiurge is the most evil aligned of the guardians and Nazarick npcs since the resident edgelord was the one who made him. The guardians reflect the creators and/or their mental hang ups. Demiurge ironically is probably the most loyal guardian however- he's just convinced Ainz is Galaxy Brain smart and gets all his wink wink nudge nudge poo poo.

Demiurge's Creator hated Touch Me, whose creation (Sebas) apparently is what he really looked like in real life. Touch Me was also a successful family man with a very happy and fulfilling life outside the game as well where the edgelord guy was basically a far more bitter but reasonably financially successful version of Ainz in real life who resented Touch Me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Demiurge is the most evil aligned of the guardians and Nazarick npcs since the resident edgelord was the one who made him. The guardians reflect the creators and/or their mental hang ups. Demiurge ironically is probably the most loyal guardian however- he's just convinced Ainz is Galaxy Brain smart and gets all his wink wink nudge nudge poo poo.

Demiurge's Creator hated Touch Me, whose creation (Sebas) apparently is what he really looked like in real life. Touch Me was also a successful family man with a very happy and fulfilling life outside the game as well where the edgelord guy was basically a far more bitter but reasonably financially successful version of Ainz in real life who resented Touch Me.

Dude was apparently also obsessed with the concept of Evil and created Demiurge to embody the concept as much as he could. The guy Ulbert Alain Odle was also one of the top two players in the guild, alongside Touch Me who was the best warrior he was the best caster.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just keep coming back to it: What does any of this have to do with the mystery of who took over Shalltear? The story's suddenly taken a different track towards Ains becoming an actual evil overlord instead of pretending to be one as a way of figuring out what's going on in this world. To manga readers, does it ever get back on track, or does the story keep shifting it's focus like this?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MonsterEnvy posted:

CZ Delta and Yuri Alpha are also good. Cocytus is neutral and quite a few of the Homuclus Maids are good too. But they are outnumbered by the number of evil ones in the place.

IIRC the twins are only slightly evil in terms of stats and are more indifferent rather than malicious.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ViggyNash posted:

I just keep coming back to it: What does any of this have to do with the mystery of who took over Shalltear? The story's suddenly taken a different track towards Ains becoming an actual evil overlord instead of pretending to be one as a way of figuring out what's going on in this world. To manga readers, does it ever get back on track, or does the story keep shifting it's focus like this?

So my thoughts

Its kinda revealed already who sent it to us, as for Ainz he is running off the assumption that it was a chance meeting rather than a deliberate action against him due to the fact that there was no ambush set up for him when he went to kill Shalltear. What he knows is 1. There be world items here as well 2. Other people have them. 3. I am pretty sure they don't know about me and I don't want them to find out i'm here before I figure this out. 5. I will equip my most valuable minions with their own world items as a countermeasure against world items and continue with gathering information like I planned.

6. I also want to see how the npcs develop now that they are real beings and am going to test if Cocytus can grow as a person by giving him a task that he will fail if he blindly follows orders. (and if he does blindly follow orders and fails from that, can that spark growth in him?)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
6 could easily be one episode or, if it's that important overall, a concurrent side arc instead of what seems to be half a season of side content.

Also part of my complaints with this arc is that now he seems to be turning into the evil overlord that he was only rp-ing before. It crosses a line that feels way out of line for the character.

Just to play this out, let's make the argument that he's still treating the lizzardmen as generic NPC's and not as real people. However, the entire point of this side arc is to test the humanity of of his subordinates. How does it make sense to test the validity of something by assuming it's false in the first place?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 1, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Humanity of his subordinates? He's testing their autonomy, to see if they can think outside of the box and getting ready to conquer the world for real.

Also, this is still just him rping, he's just way into being kinda evil.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I find the lizards more interesting than most of the Nazarick characters. :shobon:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Idk, I took it as, "If they can think autonomously then they are actual real people." I guess it is sort of a stretch.

I still dont like the whole subjugating a society by force thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ViggyNash posted:

Idk, I took it as, "If they can think autonomously then they are actual real people." I guess it is sort of a stretch.

I still dont like the whole subjugating a society by force thing.

Well he probably would not be ok with it, if his Lich form was not suppressing stuff like his empathy that would have a problem with it.

Like when he first saw someone die in the New World he was like "Huh I probably would have thrown up and cried if I saw that in real life. Yet I feel absolutely nothing for these innocent people being murdered."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot abt that. I think if his changing personality played a bigger part, it would make things a lot more interesting. This is wasting that potential if it goes uncommented on.

Really a lot of what's annoying me abt this season is wasted potential.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ViggyNash posted:

The answer to your question? Nothing. Shalltear being taken over served the role in the plot of confirming Ainz as being correct in approaching the new world cautiously despite the initial lack of credible resistance. It also allowed the story to present a picture of what it looks like when Ainz and his minions go all out against an equally capable foe, which is something that you don't normally get to see due to the power differentials normally in play.

The Lizardman arc is effectively an aside to introduce some new characters to the cast and to also allow Ainz to test the limitations of his "children".

The story in Overlord is very meandering and switches perspectives quite a lot; Ainz is actually not the perspective character in the novels very often at all.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sometimes it is best to stick to the anime ver...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the anime will probably censor the worst excesses of the ln, too

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Keep the hugs in though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There was no need to show that. :barf:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Poil posted:

There was no need to show that. :barf:
......They showed us Lizard Sex?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grouchio posted:

......They showed us Lizard Sex?
Search within your heart and you will have the answer.

Don't read unless you actually want more than one thing spoiled: Yes. And later Shalltear orgasms continuously throughout a scene. Stay classy Overlord.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Havent you people ever watched discovery channel

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Havent you people ever watched discovery channel
15 years ago maybe.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I've seen alligators mate a hundred times... Not shocking at all.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It was a romantic gesture between two people at what they though was the end of the world. Grow up people.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also don't dream shame.

Some people want to be doctors and help others.
Some people want to be teachers to give to the next generation.

And some people just want to support those they deeply care about.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad you anime people finally got to the highlight of the lizard saga; Lizard loving.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The adaptation of the lizard arc unfortunately skipped out on a lot of characterization(like Zaryusu and Zenberu becoming best friends, which is why Zaryusu begs Ainz to bring him back along with his brother but doesn't mention the other chiefs who got loving murdered), but it was pretty decently done.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mordaedil posted:

I'm glad you anime people finally got to the highlight of the lizard saga; Lizard loving.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I kinda thought it was going to be a bigger deal the way the LN people talked about it, instead it was what 5 seconds, and than watching the floor guardians going how barbaric, despite the ones peeking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was a bit longer in the novel, but it was mostly Ainz panicking about the dark elves seeing it. But it wasn't big deal, what we got was pretty good.