Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Uroboros posted:

What is the best way to go if I want to run a Tank/High Resilient Character? or what is the most proficient setup for an assassin/hired-killer?

Tank like MMO tank where you prevent your friends from getting attacked? Nope, not really gonna happen.

Tank like "gently caress you, you can't kill me"? I had a lot of success with Moon Druid and shapeshifting. lovely at level 1 and OK once you get Combat Wild Shape (level 2?). Picks up hard once you can turn into a polar/cave bear which from memory is level 6. Presumably picks up hard again once you can turn into an elemental, but I didn't get that far.

Your wild shape is twice per short/long rest, which might as well read "once per encounter" if the group follows the adventuring day rules. Wildshape at the start of a fight as a bonus action the wade on in. You get the bear's 1d8+5 / 2d6+5 multiattack, which is ok. Plus, you get the ability to use a bonus action to burn one spell slot to self-heal 1d8hp / slot level while you're a bear. Oh, and you're now a bear with (avg) 42 hit points, which are on top of the hit points you have as a druid - that is, if you "die" as the bear, you just revert back to your normal form with your normal hp. And if you know a rest is coming up and you haven't already turned into a bear once before, you can just pop back into bear form and do it all again.

While you're a bear, you're not the best damage dealer, you don't have the highest AC, and you're not a functional spellcaster. But my experience was that you become bullshit good at not dying. So if that's what you mean by "tank", then yeah, bear druid was a lot of fun.

Plus, roleplaying a dude who's starting to forget he's not a bear was cool. Probably not as cool as my original idea which was to roleplay a bear that was starting to forget he wasn't a dude, but whatever.

e: I think there's better way to optimize for "can't be killed" if you go Paladin, but gently caress if I can remember how to do it.

e2: I don't have a heap of experience at the levels you could do it at, but turning into a self-healing earth elemental looks like it would be amazing for not dying. All the resistances and immunities.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

Oh also re me being shanghaied into running an adventure this weekend because the SA Forums were down and I was befrit of your guys advice I ended up grabbing The Mines of Pansomething pre made adventure for 4 to 5 players.

I am planning on trimmimg it down slightly for 3 players and slightly faster gameplay by reducing the monster count a bit.

I was also thinking of letting people start at level 2 to make up for missing that 4th player.

Anyone got advice for running that module?

It's a pretty good and easy to run Module. Uping everyone to level 2 to make up for the missing guy is a pretty good idea.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Cool cool.

Any tips and tricks? Cursory perusal shows loving gauntlets of ogre strength beimg a thing in it. Is that something I really want to hand level two players?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 2, 2018

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Gridlocked posted:

Oh also re me being shanghaied into running an adventure this weekend because the SA Forums were down and I was befrit of your guys advice I ended up grabbing The Mines of Pansomething pre made adventure for 4 to 5 players.

I am planning on trimmimg it down slightly for 3 players and slightly faster gameplay by reducing the monster count a bit.

I was also thinking of letting people start at level 2 to make up for missing that 4th player.

Anyone got advice for running that module?

If you play the first goblin ambush like an actual ambush 3/4 of parties will experience a tpk. Letting the party max their first 2 levels of HP can help. Or doing one of the many HP hacks that goons suggest

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
My GM has been talking about multiclassing within classes (i.e. nabbing different archetypes for the same class). Hiw worried should I be?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Terratina posted:

My GM has been talking about multiclassing within classes (i.e. nabbing different archetypes for the same class). Hiw worried should I be?

Depends how it's gonna work and how much thought and effort they're putting into it. Probably not too much to worry about though, I don't think it'll make anything broken/OP so much as it might make certain things worse.

If it works "like normal"... well, you need to go to level 2 or 3 to get an archetype, right? What do you get in those first couple of levels of Fighter(Champion) / Fighter(nothing yet)? That sounds like it might suck pretty bad for most classes, but I dunno really.

If it's just "you can take another archetype's level X ability instead of yours" it'll probably be ok I guess? You might unintentionally gently caress yourself out of synergies, but off the top of my head (ie, without looking at books and making a fairly big effort) that you'll run into anything brokenly OP.

I mean, one frequently suggested "fix" for fighters is to just let them take Battlemaster and another archetype simultaneously, and that doesn't look too weird to me.

What would you even want with say a wizard/wizard multiclass though?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 2, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Razorwired posted:

If you play the first goblin ambush like an actual ambush 3/4 of parties will experience a tpk. Letting the party max their first 2 levels of HP can help. Or doing one of the many HP hacks that goons suggest

This is something I am honestly concerned about. If I play the gobos as reasonably smart (because they are friggin sentient creatures who can use tools and have language so surely they can do smart things) im concerned I will kill my party.

I was thinking the following:

Have the goblins target the horses early on. It makes sence if they are trying to prevent the cart from getting away and can absorb a round or 2 of attacks from some archers.

Have the ambush target individuals. No all the archers are smart enough to target the wizard first.

Have "threat" work. If the front liner is railing on a gobo have ones engaed elsewhere peal off in an attempt to help their buddy even if it would cost an attack of opportunity.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For what it's worth (not much) my group has an unspoken agreement that tanking just works like you'd expect, mostly by having enemies behave as if an AoO is a much bigger deal than it is. And anything not explicitly designed to be clever just goes for the "obvious" threat of the guy in the big armor or the guy yelling a lot. This is not in the rules in any way, but it works with surprising ease.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

What would you even want with say a wizard/wizard multiclass though?

Multiclass Diviner into itself twice :unsmigghh:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Gridlocked posted:

Cool cool.

Any tips and tricks? Cursory perusal shows loving gauntlets of ogre strength beimg a thing in it. Is that something I really want to hand level two players?

They’re just going to make a fighter or whatever slightly more powerful for a while but that’s fine in my book. LMoP is a solid adventure. Think about how you want to use Venomfang if at all. I had the dragon give my party a one week ultimatum that he’d raze Phandalin if they didn’t tell him the exact location of Wave Echo Cave. The ancient power was what drew him to the region. This made the second half a ticking clock adventure to save Gundren, secure the cave before Nezna (I made Neznar female) could complete her objective, and come up with a way to save the town. I made it clear that they’d get their asses kicked by him without using their brains or getting allies on their side, both of which they did. It made for a satisfying big fight at the end since the Black Spider isn’t actually much of a combatant.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
What is an Venomfang?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

clusterfuck posted:

This $13 pdf owns. All for 5e.

PART 1: ARMAMENTS. Over a hundred new pieces of armor and weaponry, plus a host of special rules for modifications. (incl. versatile d10 weapon for monks)
PART 2: GEAR. Still the largest section of this product, this part greatly expands the options for general equipment, ammunition types, equipment packs, mounts and vehicles, tools, musical instruments, poisons, herbal brews, and wondrous alchemies.
PART 3: EXOTIC LISTS. A half-dozen themed equipment collections that are each too rare or exotic to include in the standard lists. A DM can choose to grant access to one or more of these collections to spice her campaign.
PART 4: WEALTH. This part expands the options for commercial goods and redefines the way characters think of wealth, both concrete and abstract. It also deals with distribution of treasure to characters at their creation and during their adventuring careers.
PART 5: TRINKETS. Pages and pages of new trinkets, with careful division ranging from primitive objects to magitechnical wonders, for campaigns of varied magical and technological levels.
PART 6: MAGIC ITEMS. This part includes rules for using a "close system" of magic items, a self-regulating method by which characters may acquire new items without acquiring too many. It provides exact prices for all magic items from all official publications. And this part gives dozens of pages of new special features to better customize magic items.
PART 7: INVESTMENTS. This part has four sections. It talks about new rules for crafting and commercial-scale manufacture, new and expanded rules for investing in businesses and buildings (fortifications) and their returns, systems and costs for detailing a fortification or a ship along with an expanded list of siege engines, and lightweight rules for resolving large-scale battles.

Oh nice. I had not heard of that one. Marking it to look at later. Thanks.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

What is an Venomfang?

The Young Green Dragon in Thundertree. His breath weapon can quite possibly wipe the entire party. We ran Phandelver this year and I had no idea how close we got to but ended up missing the Gauntlets of Ogre power. It actually wouldn't have benefited any of the Str based characters in the party I don't think, but our DM gave us better than standard array stats (My Tempest Cleric Rock Gnome has 18 Str by lvl 4).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gridlocked posted:

What is an Venomfang?
This guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to be able to tank in 5e:

* ask about using the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana, so you can have unlimited attacks-of-opportunity

* use the Cavalier archetype from Xanathar's, so you can Mark targets and give the DM an incentive to attack you

* the Sentinel and the Polearm Master feats are also very useful for this build, with Sentinel being more relevant to tanking, but Polearm Master being more useful in offense/in general, if you have to pick just one or the other

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FRINGE posted:

Oh nice. I had not heard of that one. Marking it to look at later. Thanks.

I just bought it and it goes pretty in-depth for some stuff. Lots of boat stuff that will be handy for an upcoming pirate campaign I'm running. Plenty of pages devoted to offering different concepts of wealth and prestige, and how to handle magic item disbursement.

There's two distinct boat lists and the speeds on one list are like, 1-5 mph. The other list, all the boats go 10-13. Not really sure what the disconnect is on that.

For $13, seems pretty good.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* ask about using the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana, so you can have unlimited attacks-of-opportunity

* use the Cavalier archetype from Xanathar's, so you can Mark targets and give the DM an incentive to attack you

* the Sentinel and the Polearm Master feats are also very useful for this build, with Sentinel being more relevant to tanking, but Polearm Master being more useful in offense/in general, if you have to pick just one or the other

So, to make a not really fantastic but workable tank, you need Underdark Unearthed Arcana and Xanathar's. Does that mean you couldn't use that character in Adventure League or whatever it's called?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So, to make a not really fantastic but workable tank, you need Underdark Unearthed Arcana and Xanathar's. Does that mean you couldn't use that character in Adventure League or whatever it's called?

I don't think AL allows you to use Unearthed Arcana at all, but even just taking Cavalier would be fine and let you play in AL, since between it and Polearm Mastery, you'd be full-up on using Bonus Actions anyway.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I had kind of honed in on Sentinal and the Battle Master archtype with a fighter, but It seemed like it would hit like a wet noodle but I have no idea how deadly the other classes are.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Battle master actually does good damage. You will be one of the more lethal members of the party, if you pick the right feats and pump up your strength. At least for several levels.

The problem comes in the NON combat part of the game.

Your big signature ability is that you can check another guy out at the bar and stare at him for a full minute. After that's done you can tell how many fighter levels he has. And that's about it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Tanking actually gets WAY worse the more you level, as the damage of one attack stays relatively static (remember, melee characters boost their damage through multiple attacks) compared to enemy HP, and enemies get more and more ways to just bypass your area of influence, be it teleportation, flying, or what have you. There is no feat combo that makes opportunity attack based tanking work in 5e - it's inherent design is insufficient.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm just worried as I naturally feel like the kind of GM who could Tuckers Kobols my way to an early firey career end.

I love dungeons way too much I may as well be that demilich from ToH designing evil enchanted duengon after duengon.

Whelp I've gone mad with ideas of duengons now. Time to deaign a multi level underground hell spawned by a mad Lich to protect his collection of treasures behind a wall of traps, puzzles and pointless monsters. I'm thinking the chess puzzles at least two with that one straight from Zork Grand Inquisitor (hands up if you know the solution), an underground lake, pit falls, orbs of anhiliation and a literal menagerie of monsters.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 2, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

I love dungeons way too much

Check out the 1980s Basic D&D in the red box. It's tightly focused on dungeons. The followup (blue box) Expert Set expands stuff to the point where you're also getting to and from dungeons without it just being "You get to the dungeon <whole adventure> You get back to town".

There's an absolute fuckload of resources (both free and paid) available for it too, because people never really stopped making stuff for it.

If you like killer dungeons, tricks and traps, dead ends that aren't, puzzles that make everyone go "haha, bullshit, I love it", you really should check out how much fun the game can be when you throw all that poo poo at characters who take 2-5 minutes to roll up from scratch, because it's a goddamn blast to play and run that oldschool dungeon poo poo in a system that handles it well.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Does anyone have good lore on Githzerai & Zerthimon? I'm developing a backstory for a non Gith cleric of Zerthimon. I'm using the Eldritch Disciple domain from this also very good Eldritch Expansion.

I know Gith lore has been around a loong time and Zerthimon was pretty big in Planescape Torment. I'm thinking of ways / reasons Zerthimon would seek non Gith followers and wondering what may already exist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Tanking actually gets WAY worse the more you level, as the damage of one attack stays relatively static (remember, melee characters boost their damage through multiple attacks) compared to enemy HP, and enemies get more and more ways to just bypass your area of influence, be it teleportation, flying, or what have you. There is no feat combo that makes opportunity attack based tanking work in 5e - it's inherent design is insufficient.

Cirno is correct.

One of the big shifts from 3rd Edition to Star Wars SAGA Edition was abandoning the concept of iterative/multiple attacks in favor of simply having single attacks, whose damage would be scaled to always be proportionally appropriate for how many Hit Points a target might have. 4th Edition continued this tradition.

5e, by regressing to the multi-attack model, shoots tanking in the foot because martial classes need multiple hits in order to unlock their full damage potential, but since OAs can only ever be single attacks, then over time, a single OA means progressively smaller and smaller amounts of a target's total HP, to the point where they can simply eat the OA and keep on going.

In this regard, Sentinel is valuable as far as reducing a target's speed to zero if the OA hits, but it's still not as great as actually being able to meaningfully hurt the target at the same time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

Does anyone have good lore on Githzerai & Zerthimon? I'm developing a backstory for a non Gith cleric of Zerthimon. I'm using the Eldritch Disciple domain from this also very good Eldritch Expansion.

I know Gith lore has been around a loong time and Zerthimon was pretty big in Planescape Torment. I'm thinking of ways / reasons Zerthimon would seek non Gith followers and wondering what may already exist.

I think Zerthimon is super dead at this point as he was long dead by Planescape Torment. (Unless you don't want him to be.) But Githzerai may be willing to take on non githzerai followers. (So long as they are not Githyanki, I doubt they could ever bring themselves to trust one claiming to want to defect and join them.) They have always stuck me as fairly pragmatic and I doubt Zerthimon had any opinions on the subject that he would have written down.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 2, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cirno is correct.
5e, by regressing to the multi-attack model, shoots tanking in the foot because martial classes need multiple hits in order to unlock their full damage potential, but since OAs can only ever be single attacks, then over time, a single OA means progressively smaller and smaller amounts of a target's total HP, to the point where they can simply eat the OA and keep on going.

So a 5e maneuver designed for a tank should add damage to an OA, rather than increased number of OA's.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Zerthimon is super dead at this point as he was long dead by Planescape Torment. (Unless you don't want him to be.) But Githzerai may be willing to take on non githzerai followers. (So long as they are not Githyanki, I doubt they could ever bring themselves to trust one claiming to want to defect and join them.) They have always stuck me as fairly pragmatic and I doubt Zerthimon had any opinions on the subject that he would have written down.

I was looking at this kind of thing online:
"A popular tale has it that Zerthimon achieved enlightenment, transcending his mortality to become a being of pure mental energy. From this exalted state, he continues to subtly guide his people to follow him into a similar state of transcendence. Other sages insist that Zerthimon simply died as all mortals die. "

and wondered if there was some old lore where he specifically became a god, but maybe there's not?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clusterfuck posted:

So a 5e maneuver designed for a tank should add damage to an OA, rather than increased number of OA's.

Yes.

A similar development was 3rd Edition Tome of Battle's maneuvers being designed to hit about as hard as 2/3/4-hit full attacks. This made the maneuvers seem "OP" because they packed a lot of punch in a single die roll, but really all it did was to make these classes more mobile, since they could Move Action and then use a Standard Action maneuver that hit as hard as a Full Action attack.

5e kinda-sorta gets around this by letting characters do "full attacks" while still being able to do full movement, but it's an imperfect solution. I'm not sure though if TOB maneuvers could be used as/with AOOs.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

ProfessorCirno posted:

Maybe for martial characters but spellcasters can always pick up Booming Blade and Warcaster for a scaling damage boost on their OAs, complete with further punishing damage if the target continues their move. If you don't mind your character selling their soul to an extra-dimensional sword-beast then you can obtain the power to tank better with just a single level dip into Hexblade warlock.

Creamfilled fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Whoops, quote is not edit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

I was looking at this kind of thing online:
"A popular tale has it that Zerthimon achieved enlightenment, transcending his mortality to become a being of pure mental energy. From this exalted state, he continues to subtly guide his people to follow him into a similar state of transcendence. Other sages insist that Zerthimon simply died as all mortals die. "

and wondered if there was some old lore where he specifically became a god, but maybe there's not?

No don't think there was ever a moment in Lore were he ever became a god. But you don't need a god to get cleric power merely faith. Believing heavily in his teachings and him can grant clerical power.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey I got a question for your 5e players out there.

What are your feelings on attacking a player who's downed? The way the rules are written a player will basically instantly die to 2 attacks in melee while they're down, and if they take 1 their next turn is basically a 50-50 to die as well.

I realise most enemies will focus on active threats and not spend their time executing unconscious characters, though I guess the context of the fight also matters at this point.

I'm constantly trying to dance between keeping a fight tense and not just instantly killing a player's character because there happens to be 2 dudes near him while he's downed. But the main issue comes up is that usually a player will only actually be down for 1 turn before they're back up with a minuscule amount of health due to healing word or something similar. Someone died very early because he rolled a 1 on his death save and died much faster than anyone predicted. So now the party is super pro-active about making sure no one is ever downed for more than a turn.

Give me your tips!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Gridlocked posted:

Cool cool.

Don’t use the washout trap ‘as is’ in the bandit cave as it unintentionally exploits the poorly designed prebuilts. I.e. Everyone in the scenario has low light vision except for the thief who is going to be the one scouting. The trap triggers when the bandits see someone. The party unavoidably gets hit by the trap if they do the right thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What are your feelings on attacking a player who's downed?

For all practical purposes you're not supposed to do it except for very specific and dramatic reasons.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey I got a question for your 5e players out there.

What are your feelings on attacking a player who's downed? The way the rules are written a player will basically instantly die to 2 attacks in melee while they're down, and if they take 1 their next turn is basically a 50-50 to die as well.

I realise most enemies will focus on active threats and not spend their time executing unconscious characters, though I guess the context of the fight also matters at this point.

I'm constantly trying to dance between keeping a fight tense and not just instantly killing a player's character because there happens to be 2 dudes near him while he's downed. But the main issue comes up is that usually a player will only actually be down for 1 turn before they're back up with a minuscule amount of health due to healing word or something similar. Someone died very early because he rolled a 1 on his death save and died much faster than anyone predicted. So now the party is super pro-active about making sure no one is ever downed for more than a turn.

Give me your tips!

You could sprinkle in a counter spell creature, or once someone used Healing Word, the monsters beeline for that person. Maybe the creatures you're fighting start rifling through the pockets of the downed player and take a magic item or their weapon. If you really want to keep it tight, have a creature standing next to the downed one and ready an action to attack if they get hit with a healing spell.

I wouldn't do any of this in every encounter, only the most dramatic and important ones.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

clusterfuck posted:

And/or non-damage effects that synergise with tanking. Battlefield control is about picking one or more guys, removing most of their options, and making the remaining ones suck. Tabletop tanking is battlefield control first and foremost, just heavily themed around making "hit the tank" the comparatively least unpleasant option. A well rounded tank will have both preventative and punitive options on their table to both stick creatures to them (or them to the creatures) and make not-tanks unappealing targets (or make the tank the most appealing target).

Sentinel has preventative sticky effects and punitive don't hit my buddy effects. The sticky effect is pretty drat good and actually scales well, but the don't hit my buddy is weak sauce and doesn't scale.

Booming blade as an attack is good for punitive sticky effects and with warcaster gives you scaling OA damage on movement effects for additional punitive sticky effects. GFB with warcaster gives the scaling OA with the added benny of hitting a second target, again good for punitive stickiness. They explicitly do not work on non-movement OAs though so no buddy defence boosts.

The Cavalier has decent preventative buddy saving, but all their other stuff is short rest limited and therefore crap.

The final component of being a competent tank is damage mitigation, by either taking less damage or effectively less damage through efficient healing sources. Since there's very few damage mitigation options, at the end of the day any 5e martial tank's hitme powers are just shuffling around where the cure light wounds go.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You could sprinkle in a counter spell creature, or once someone used Healing Word, the monsters beeline for that person. Maybe the creatures you're fighting start rifling through the pockets of the downed player and take a magic item or their weapon. If you really want to keep it tight, have a creature standing next to the downed one and ready an action to attack if they get hit with a healing spell.

I wouldn't do any of this in every encounter, only the most dramatic and important ones.

I'd say animals are far more likely to go for someone that is downed too, if they are predators. Bunch of wolves are going to grab the body and try to run off with it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Sentinal is a lot better when you're a paladin and can lay down a sweet smite on it

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Who is mithral armor for?
It's got lowered strength requirements but it's still medium armor and limits your dex bonus to 2 and disables spellcasting for nerds who might have neither dex nor strength.

Feel like I've asked this before but I'm scratching my head about it.

It says it can only be a chain shirt, or a breastplate, but then also says "if that armor imposes disadvantage on dexterity (stealth) checks, then the mithral armor version does not" but neither chain shirts nor breastplates do that!!!!

Who wrote this garbage? I have a dex paladin in leather looking for armor but if he puts this shirt on his AC stays the same, and when he takes an ASI it actually goes down. This is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Mithral can be any kind of armor?