Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

If you're gonna do it, do it now before the market burns down any further.

Preferably on CL or another local sales site so you don't have to worry about returns.

Plus the added excitement of possibly being robbed

It appears I'm not the only one who had this idea, and there's a few listed in the 700's and also one at $460 that's been there for a few days. Probably not worth it.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

cool startup feel posted:

Plus the added excitement of possibly being robbed

Which is why you do the transaction at some nice public place. Like a coffee shop next to the police department or whatever.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

DrDork posted:

If you're gonna do it, do it now before the market burns down any further.

Preferably on CL or another local sales site so you don't have to worry about returns.

Who is getting hit by all these return scams? I ended up flipping like 10 cards without even a complaint. Ebay doesn't seem to struggle to attract buyers either.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Who is getting hit by all these return scams? I ended up flipping like 10 cards without even a complaint. Ebay doesn't seem to struggle to attract buyers either.

I don't think anyone's really getting hit by the "179 day return" stuff people were worry-mongering about a bit earlier in the thread. But people absolutely have gotten nailed by <30 day returns when the bottom dropped out of the market and suddenly people figured their $700 card that's now selling for $300 was a bad purchase.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrDork posted:

Which is why you do the transaction at some nice public place. Like a coffee shop next to the police department or whatever.

In my town, we have an actual online transaction meetup spot under surveillance at the police station. As Canadians we are dumb sometimes but this is actually pretty smart.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why are the centrifugal fan/blower cards considered worse ? They don't seem to recirculate any of the warm air back into the case. Is it just a matter of them being noisy ?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're loud and often don't keep a card as cool as a non-blower setup. The up side is that the air is dumped out of the case entirely. Depending on your case's airflow, this might be better overall.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

jonathan posted:

In my town, we have an actual online transaction meetup spot under surveillance at the police station. As Canadians we are dumb sometimes but this is actually pretty smart.

This is really cool. Is it official or just something everyone did enough times that the police decided to join in?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

Why are the centrifugal fan/blower cards considered worse ? They don't seem to recirculate any of the warm air back into the case. Is it just a matter of them being noisy ?
The heatsinks on the blower designs are a lot smaller physically as well, so that single fan has to do more work than all 2-3 fans of an open card. The benefit of not recirculating air generally doesn't offset this in cases with a even little bit of air flow or ventilation.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

buglord posted:

This is really cool. Is it official or just something everyone did enough times that the police decided to join in?

I don't know which town he's in but it's traditional in Vancouver to either meet in the parking lot of a police station or at a SkyTrain station (especially since there's transit police -- who are actually real law enforcement officers -- at all of them these days). I'm fairly certain there are craigslist meetup spots around the region now too.

e: Ah yeah looks like the VPD at the least has basically said "please feel free to use our HQ parking lot as a craigslist meetup spot".

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

buglord posted:

I think more police departments are starting to do this. My midwestern city has a few spots designated for online transactions in a couple of police station parking lots.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So I think I'm just going to stick to being a generation behind. My 970 at 1080p is still amazing, and I picked it up for $160 off of craigslist one and a half years ago. There is nothing on the market it can't impressively run at this resolution. My enthusiasm about getting in the hype of the next gen's release has dampened a lot as a result which is sad cause that was one of my favorite hobbies.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

So I think I'm just going to stick to being a generation behind. My 970 at 1080p is still amazing, and I picked it up for $160 off of craigslist one and a half years ago. There is nothing on the market it can't impressively run at this resolution. My enthusiasm about getting in the hype of the next gen's release has dampened a lot as a result which is sad cause that was one of my favorite hobbies.
If you're on 1080p it's fine. My 670 was fine at 1080p, and my 1070 doesn't even give me higher fps in most of the games I play. Maybe 10-20 in some of them.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wind chills into the low teens tonight. Good thing I got a 390!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of cards are restocking today and staying in stock for almost 10 minutes. I think it indicates that the mining bots arent buying and gamers are. Hold out a week and GPUs might actually get within 20% of MSRP as demand is finally starting to get met

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Smart move of Nvidia to crash the Bitcoin market two months before the Ampere announcement. :tinfoil:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ufarn posted:

Smart move of Nvidia to crash the Bitcoin market two months before the Ampere announcement. :tinfoil:

keep it crashed and I think most folks would be happy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have to admit I was a big fan of blower cards back with my 780's. Dumping all that heat into my 3930K's case at the time would have been terrible but the blowers have gotten a ton better in recent years than they were prior to the 700 series for Nvidia at least. They redesign the cooler for the 690 and made it even better with the 780+ Series. Vapor Chamber and all.

They are louder than some good AIO designs, but not incredibly so unless you really have everything else super quiet in your case. In SLI one of them is going to get louder since it has only the air that is getting heated by the card below it (usually causing it to be up to 10C hotter than the lowest card) but for the most part Temps are easy to keep at 70C or below unlike the old days.

My 4870X2 back in the day with its blower had a hard time keeping below 80C on both cores stock, and when it was dying for the 3rd time, messing with some voltages got it up to 130C hah. Stable but man that was a silly number to look at at the time.

My currently RMA'ed 980Ti only hits around 60C with the Strix cooler. It stays cool but my case temps do rise about 5-10C because of it.

I feel if Nvidia drops the 1180 or I hold out for an 1180Ti, I may just go back to blowers directly from them on launch day. Since the days of waiting for GPU's to drop in price and have rebates/free games/whatever seem to be behind us for the moment...

Right now I just wonder if I will be getting my 980Ti back before they announce or hell release their next gen. Asus support seems rather, sloppy and it took them 2 weeks to show that they got my card, and said my Serial # was different from the one I submitted, but the comparison # is identical soooo.... Yea.

At the current rate I am stuck on my 560Ti or my lappy. Thank God for EVGA's SC17 being pretty dang badass and having a fantastic Christmas sale. And once you fix the touchpad drivers (Swapping from Synaptec's garbage driver to the Windows Precision driver) the thing is perfect.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Newegg has some RX580s for less than a million dollars:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...S0A&ignorebbr=1

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

redeyes posted:

Newegg has some RX580s for less than a million dollars:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...S0A&ignorebbr=1

Wow I paid less than $200 for a 4gb before Christmas... it probably doesn’t help that Newegg is bundling with a PCIE riser.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Wow I paid less than $200 for a 4gb before Christmas... it probably doesn’t help that Newegg is bundling with a PCIE riser.

Well that was a great deal for that card. I have a RX480 that ran $280 right after they came out. Didn't notice the riser though. Gah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Newegg.ca is listing 1070s for what I paid for a 1080 Ti six months ago.

Jeeeeeeeesus.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

Newegg.ca is listing 1070s for what I paid for a 1080 Ti six months ago.

Jeeeeeeeesus.

EVGA upped the MSRP of their cards too. Including for people who want to use Step Up which is kind of bullshit tbh. Part of the reason I bought my card was thinking I could get a reasonable price on an upgrade later if I wanted even if I had to wait due to the shortages. Then they bumped up the Step Up 1070Ti to $570 which is a dick move.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a pny 1080 ti blower card from Newegg Canada. Was waiting for prices to drop but finally said gently caress it. Still waiting for Amazon to refund me 1100 on an ROG strix card that I got scammed on 2 weeks ago.

Once the 1080 ti is too slow I'll upgrade to sli I guess.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
When Titan first came out I thought "who the gently caress would spend $1000 on a video card that would be obsolete in two years" and now I see 1080Tis come in stock for $850 and think "hmm not a bad price"

Doesn't Nvidia usually take a bit before launching their mainstream lines when a new gen comes out? And usually follows their X80 card with a much better X80 Ti six months later? Going to be rough the next few months.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The pny was 1350cad after tax and shipping lol.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Getting the 1080 Ti founders edition off the Nvidia website when it was first released for $770 after taxes was a great deal looking back at it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
GPU manufacturers: Instead of selling out of video cards at SRP the day they list, we just try to sell them at the huge markup like everyone else?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody can get any RAM to make cards and apparently there is demand regardless of what they price em at so UP UP UP for every measly batch they can crank out.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

GPU manufacturers: Instead of selling out of video cards at SRP the day they list, we just try to sell them at the huge markup like everyone else?

Jacking up MSRP mid-lifetime is a lovely move. Jacking it up when a new product line is released makes more sense from PR/marketing justification.

GamersNexus and the hard tech sites will rip them for the margin above BOM cost, but that's not information that the average gamer sees.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If and when this RAM shortage goes away, I have a feeling that these spiked video card and RAM prices are going to stay that way.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

I've found my 970 is feeling a bit pushed at 1080p/60 - it takes quite a lot of dicking about with settings to get things looking good while still hitting 60fps.

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
My 970 is generally good at 60fps, but since GPU prices are so stupid I got a gsync monitor instead. Fingers crossed that keeps things good enough till the next gen cards are out and easily available at MSRP.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Star Man posted:

If and when this RAM shortage goes away, I have a feeling that these spiked video card and RAM prices are going to stay that way.

Maybe not, if AMD has to aggressively price cut for yet another generational flop. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't know how much I can blame the board partners for increasing prices at this point. Back when they set the MSRPs for their 10 series cards VRAM was way cheaper, they have been absorbing the loss in profit margin from the increased VRAM prices for a long time now, eventually they would be forced to increase prices no matter what. Plus it's not like many people are getting these cards at either the new or old MSRP anyway, the prices will be jacked up by retailers regardless of MSRP changes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Prediction: cryptocurrencies will take a deep dive by the end of March and people will be trying to recuperate their sunk costs into mining equipment and investment by selling their used video cards for higher than their original SRPs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isndl posted:

Maybe not, if AMD has to aggressively price cut for yet another generational flop. :smith:

Don't worry! In a few weeks time, AMD will have everyone mining on Threadripper!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of buttcoins: Using Threadripper to mine.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/02/01/threadripper_pays_for_itself_using_cryptocurrency_mining

I have conflicting opinions. On the one hand, AMD sells through their silicon. On the other, allegedly, _AMD PITCHED THE ARTICLE PREMISE TO [H]_.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have anyone reputable to cite, but I also heard that AMD has been pitching mining on Threadripper articles to anyone with a tech site. That does go along with their bitcoin pioneer initiative.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Star Man posted:

Prediction: cryptocurrencies will take a deep dive by the end of March and people will be trying to recuperate their sunk costs into mining equipment and investment by selling their used video cards for higher than their original SRPs.

Mining already has taken a deep dive but I think as long as it earns even a dollar more a month than the electricity it costs, miners will refuse to sell their GPUs in large numbers. And I'm sure they will buy up as many Ampere as they can just because of the arms-race aspect. Here's hoping Ampere is somehow lovely at mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Might be a stupid question, but are gaming laptops slightly more competitive now in terms of pricing thanks to Bitcoinmania? I assume they can’t be used to mine anywhere near to the same extent because they have to be bought along with everything else.