Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One of the major Hong Kong newspapers runs an interview with the creator of Hong Kong 97:

http://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-entertainment/article/2129690/developer-worlds-worst-video-game-hong-kong-1997-ends

"It was only much later, with the advent of the internet and its many virtual console emulators, that the game started gaining cult status – much to Kurosawa’s chagrin. “Over a decade later, I learned [Hong Kong 97] had been attracting attention – in the worst way,” he says. “I thought it was just a fad, but the interest seems to be growing every year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I appreciate his punk attitude.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shadow Hog posted:

Dad offered to buy me this game and play it with me back in the day, but I turned it down because the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave it a mediocre rating.

I remember buying EGG specifically because GameFan said it was mediocre and by that point I didn't trust GameFan for anything.

EGG turned out to be a decent find. It's a neat little action-RPG on a system that doesn't have many.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

One of the major Hong Kong newspapers runs an interview with the creator of Hong Kong 97:

http://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-entertainment/article/2129690/developer-worlds-worst-video-game-hong-kong-1997-ends

"It was only much later, with the advent of the internet and its many virtual console emulators, that the game started gaining cult status – much to Kurosawa’s chagrin. “Over a decade later, I learned [Hong Kong 97] had been attracting attention – in the worst way,” he says. “I thought it was just a fad, but the interest seems to be growing every year."

A Japanese imperialist that calls the Chinese savages in an interview is annoyed that his vulgar indie game got distributed among enough bootleggers that he's annoyed about the game's notoriety.

Okay.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This might be stretching the definition of retro a bit, but I recently unearthed my original Xbox (bought it on a whim ages ago and never touched it). Are there any games I should look out for that are exceptionally good/bad?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

The American Dream posted:

darn, those plug and play arcade sticks look really cool. I figured they were probably too good to be true.

Eh, they are not that bad. I'm an accuracy whore myself, but I even played the 4s and figured, for the money ($250 shipped) it wasn't that big of a deal for the average gamer, maybe not for the autistic goon though...

Note that the buttons and sticks are poo poo quality too... but again, $250 for a full set up.

PM if you want a reputable guy in Canada.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lizard Wizard posted:

This might be stretching the definition of retro a bit, but I recently unearthed my original Xbox (bought it on a whim ages ago and never touched it). Are there any games I should look out for that are exceptionally good/bad?

It's a 17 year old system, the original Xbox is retro as hell.

You should softmod your Xbox and just pirate any game that sounds good to you, even on the stock hard drives you can store 2-5 whole games to play at any time without needing to burn DVDs, and replacing the hard drive can let you store hundreds and hundreds.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ninja gaiden black and call of cthulhu

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
You should TSOP flash your Xbox if you can because it doesn’t require additional modchip hardware, you don’t have to lock any new hdd, can change partition sizes, and your console is a lot harder to break than by relying on the font exploit.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Outrun 2000 or basically any Sega published xbox game. And the obligatory Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Only Shallow posted:

You should TSOP flash your Xbox if you can because it doesn’t require additional modchip hardware, you don’t have to lock any new hdd, can change partition sizes, and your console is a lot harder to break than by relying on the font exploit.

Just make sure you check your version/manufacture date. You can’t TSOP flash a 1.6.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What on earth is a TSOP flash and will someone PM me the proper documentation

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Buccaneer posted:

Ninja gaiden black and call of cthulhu
Call of Cthulhu owns ooooooowwwwwwns, definitely one of the most unfairly overlooked titles from that gen. Challenging, atmospheric, and super stylish, and some of the most fun I ever had back in the day playing a single player game with my brother and passing the controller whenever one of us died. It's one I'm desperate to replay someday and make sure it's actually as solid as I remember it being. I got most of the way to the end and poo poo was getting incredibly real but we couldn't get past the flying polyps and then our Xbox died.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Metal Wolf Chaos is the alpha and omega of games you need for the system.

I guess The Warriors, too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do note that you can install a pretty big, modern SATA drive using a PATA-SATA adapter. Most seem to work, though you do need to replace the PATA cable included with the XBOX with a 80 wire one, preferably as short as possible.

I ordered a couple different types about 5 years ago, both were bare circuitboards and sat flush against the hard drive.

I have a 2TB drive in mine which I think is the practical maximum. It also requires a BIOS that supports larger sector sizes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wish it was easier to do the hard-drive swap. And also Splinter Cell works for modding as well, as that what I used to do mine. And that was the "Platinum Edition" too.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Its definitely a good console to mod since people made it a great emulation machine, plus being able to upload games to it you download on your PC. However, if you dont want to bother with that (I haven't with mine), and you have an Xbox One, they are slowly running backwards compatibility out on it (though only have 10 games or so now, but they run much smoother and better load times).
Recommendation list: (including if playable on XB1 or released elsewhere you may prefer)
- Crimson Skies (disc playable on XB1)
- Ninja Gaiden Black (disc playable on XB1)
- Black (disc playable on XB1, also release on PS2 but lower quality)
- Knights of the Old Republic (disc playable on XB1, and also on PC/Mac)
- Knights of the Old Republic 2 (also on PC/mac)
- Fable (also on PC/Mac, and anniversary remaster on 360)
- Halo (obviously, but has been released on 360 and XB1)
- Halo 2 (also released on XB1)
- Stubbs the Zombie (also on PC)
- Gun
- Morrowind (also on PC and with much less load times + mods)
- Panzer Dragoon
- Shenmue 2
- Azurik
- Jade Empire (also on PC)
- GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas (pretty much every Playstation and Xbox console has releases/ports and PC)

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You forgot JET SET RADIOOOOOO Future.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Tony Hawk 2x is pretty much the definitive version of Tony Hawk 2, and has all the levels from 1 as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get all of the sega games. The OG Xbox was basically the Dreamcast 2.

Also half life; the GTA series (looks better than on ps2).

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone have experience with the Sony E540 CRT computer monitor? Guy’s giving one away on FB, and I’m insane so I’m wondering if it would be any good as a display for 480p gen 6 games and PC games from the late 90s-early 2000s

Last year my friend lucked out and got an FW900 for free. The guy even brought it to his house!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I really hope this fixes all the broken rushed bullshit on the original game it really was quite bad back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bro9xSKKWKA

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FireMrshlBill posted:

Sorry, 45 min outside of Washington DC.

Did you go to the Goodwill in DC on South Dakota Ave., or the one closest to you (aka not in DC)?

If you did go to the one in DC, I know where I'm going this weekend.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never played the Xbox version of Crimson Skies but I used to love the PC version. How different of a game is it

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

I was actually going to mention Front Mission 3 before I saw Pegnose Pete's post, but I really love that game. It's a tactical mecha RPG, so it's closer to Final Fantasy Tactics then it is a mainline JRPG, but it's fun and looks pretty good for a PS1 game. The story's not too bad, either, and between the two story modes it's a good but not too long game. I like any game that lets you build your own murder robots, and it's good for that.

Also, the 90's internet stuff is the loving best. I have no idea why the developers thought adding a fake internet to their game was a good idea, but it's amazing. Just feel free to look up a guide for how to poke around it.

FM3 is probably the first JRPG of the PS1 era that I ever really played (I remember renting FF7 at Blockbuster once and watching my friends horribly fail against Guard Scorpion because BARRETT TELLS YOU TO DO THE WRONG THING).

As a result, it's probably the game that's nearest and dearest to my heart. I easily clocked in over 120 hours beating both stories (Emma route Best route). Compared to other Front Missions, some people may be disappointed at the small number of wanzers on screen but I actually feel that the focus on only four player units tightens the battle system extraordinarily well and keeps battles at a reasonable length. There are some weird parts to the system that I think later games like FM4 corrected (namely the weird place that Rifles are in with FM3), but FM3 is still a bit of a gold standard for me.

And the internal internet. My god, it's a thing of beauty. It's completely optional and there on the side, but there's so much detail, love, easter eggs, and hidden things (you can only get the game's most powerful Wanzer by calling a specific phone number at a particular website at a certain time) stuffed into there you can get lost for hours. It's very 90s internet too, so playing it nowadays is kind of funny because that's what people thought you did with websites back in the day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Pablo Gigante posted:

I never played the Xbox version of Crimson Skies but I used to love the PC version. How different of a game is it

It's a completely different game, sorta like Mechwarrior 4 to Mechassault.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

LuiCypher posted:

FM3 is probably the first JRPG of the PS1 era that I ever really played (I remember renting FF7 at Blockbuster once and watching my friends horribly fail against Guard Scorpion because BARRETT TELLS YOU TO DO THE WRONG THING).

As a result, it's probably the game that's nearest and dearest to my heart. I easily clocked in over 120 hours beating both stories (Emma route Best route). Compared to other Front Missions, some people may be disappointed at the small number of wanzers on screen but I actually feel that the focus on only four player units tightens the battle system extraordinarily well and keeps battles at a reasonable length. There are some weird parts to the system that I think later games like FM4 corrected (namely the weird place that Rifles are in with FM3), but FM3 is still a bit of a gold standard for me.

And the internal internet. My god, it's a thing of beauty. It's completely optional and there on the side, but there's so much detail, love, easter eggs, and hidden things (you can only get the game's most powerful Wanzer by calling a specific phone number at a particular website at a certain time) stuffed into there you can get lost for hours. It's very 90s internet too, so playing it nowadays is kind of funny because that's what people thought you did with websites back in the day.

Man, now I want to go back and play it. I found FM4 for $3 at a thrift store a year or so ago and have yet to get around to that too.

My favorite mission is the one where you ambush a facility before all the enemy pilots are in their wanzers and you get a turn to just squish them. :killdozer:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The best Xbox game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDqvUpQI_c

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm a sucker for Super Game Boy stuff. How does the SGB-capable Wario Land II compare to the GBC version (besides obvious palate differences)?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I don't think anyone played this game but I think TransWorld snowboarding in original Xbox is the best snowboarding game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/transworld-snowboarding

Also dragons lair was fun and it's 1080i. No, it's not fmv.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Minidust posted:

I'm a sucker for Super Game Boy stuff. How does the SGB-capable Wario Land II compare to the GBC version (besides obvious palate differences)?

I’ve played both and they’re functionally identical, afaik. The b&w version has some slight palette enhancements on the SGB anyway (+ some nice SGB borders that change between worlds), so it’s not totally monochrome. The color version has no new content.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh hey it's you. I don't read the LP forum much anymore but I liked your TES LPs.

Be sure to check out the Burnout games. Some of the best car racing games of its type. I've never played the Xbox versions but I hear those are the best.

FWIW, you can assume: Current gen - Previous gen - anything older is retro

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:siren: MOAR TWIN GALAXIES DRAMA! :siren:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/176004-Dispute-Jeremy-Young-Arcade-Donkey-Kong?p=946633&viewfull=1#post946633

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have returned.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just make sure you check your version/manufacture date. You can’t TSOP flash a 1.6.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What on earth is a TSOP flash and will someone PM me the proper documentation

That's why I said "if" :)
TSOP flashing is just writing modchip BIOS directly to the big flash chip available on the first two versions of the Xbox. I posted about it in the last thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=87318&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post470996072

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Seeing Mercenaries reminded me. Freedom Fighters is a great game and I imagine the Xbox port is the next best thing to the PC version.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've had a softmodded Xbox for about a year and I have no idea what reason I'd ever have to tsop flash it. Lockable drives are common and cheap.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have returned.

Baldues gate rules. I played it trading off with someone 90% through until we realized you can play coop.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

GutBomb posted:

I've had a softmodded Xbox for about a year and I have no idea what reason I'd ever have to tsop flash it. Lockable drives are common and cheap.

I have a 1.6 softmod, but if the drive inside it fails, I would need to reformat using a TSOP-flashed Xbox that can spoof the eeprom to match. Therefore, I have a second Xbox standing by with its TSOP flashed.

Also, an added advantage to TSOP-flashing: the ability to use the "game-genie-esque" IDE--> SD reader contraption that 8-Bit Miniboss and others have used to get an SD card running on a PS2 HDD Adapter. As it stands, Xbox requires the drive to be locked to the EEPROM, but if you have your TSOP flashed, you bypass that restriction.

Edit: I would do EEPROM spoofing using ConfigMagic, where I would queue up the appropriate EEPROM for the drive I was looking to format, locking, and then build. I know there's a method to do this with an older PC utilizing an IDE cable, but I found that having a standby Xbox is much easier.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ah hahahaha he has Drake of the 99 Dragons in there. I cannot believe that somebody owns that still, no wonder he put the Xbox away for a while. poo poo I still remember reading the PC Gamer review of it and being amazed a game could score that low.

Obligatory link to Projared review for the uninformed.