Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

At this point the gloves are effectively off. Expect to get dicked around by multiple events and trying to juggle if this decision is the one that'll bite you in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I apologize for being "that guy" OP, but I've noticed you're often using phrases like "could of" or "should of." The word you should be using is "could've/should've", which is a contraction of "could have/should have." It's a somewhat common mistake due to how the words sound when spoken.

That said I'm greatly enjoying this LP! Gotten me replaying the game (never finished the Modern Times campaign after I got stuck on one of the missions there).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh wow. I'm certain this has nothing to do with a recent acquaintance of ours who is not a crook.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Survival

Presidente has been on the seas for weeks. The delay in updates is an artistic merit as I think LPs can be art. Its not because MonHunt and FF14's weed number patch came out and I got absorbed in them.

Also ignore the completed stamp and the stats, I may of forgotten to get this shot before completing the mission. Also the Swiss Bank account is kinda jacked; when I reloaded my game in the last mission to get screenshots of the newspapers without the subtitles it gave me back all of my Swiss earnings :v:

Presidente obviously needs a new look to hide his identity. Thankfully he had his lucky mask stashed for such an occasion. However Presidente needs a new name...

Oooh thats a good one. Presidente's shall now be known as the Demon of the Chupacabra! Presidente can be known as a survivalist lasting all those weeks on the seas, he has gotten a bit paranoid after the conspiracy against him and as shown with his speech, he is a learned man! Penultimo less got us a job ruling another island and more just bribed everyone to let us rule *cough*

Bought the Election gives a -5 respect with the Intellectuals but gives lower consequences for changing the votes. Honestly I never use this normally.

Paranoid gives a -20 relations with the EU and makes the police reduce liberty as strongly as soldiers do. But it gives a +20 respect with the Militarists and each rank gives additional respect.

Scholarly makes your citizens gain skills and education at a +10% rate. Each additional rank increases that percentage. Not a shabby trait at all, skilled workers = more money and higher quality services.

Survivalists, provided by the Apocalypse DLC, gives a +10 respect with the Environmentalists and best of all: Makes your citizens eat less often. Each rank gives more respect with the Environmentalists.

Secret Agent we've already seen, we'll want our agents to be skilled this mission.

Welcome to Isla Obscura, a more wretched hive of scum and villainy you will not find.

Even Penultimo makes the joke :haw:. I should note at this point the game stops acting like a tutorial, the previous missions were showing off some aspect of the game (importing, tourism, building an army..). We used to get free handouts of some form to help us learn things, now we are on our own.

As Penultimo has said, we will randomly get criminals appearing. In fact these 2 aren't even pulled from our citizens, we start with 50 and after Penultimo's message it becomes 52 citizens. They both spawn together on a random part of the island, and thankfully they spawned kinda far away from the city. Why thankfully?

Presidente doesn't tolerate criminals :colbert:

Takes our palace guard a bit to get down there and one of the criminals is getting close to civilization. There is an elderly witness nearby, but I guess their age makes them oblivious to the soldier gunning down the criminal behind him.

The other criminal decided to walk away from the city for some reason, letting our soldier get him with no witnesses. Its kinda hard to play as a tyrant, because people witnessing you gunning down citizens typically become rebels instantly. Though I guess its fitting, if you want to get rid of a problematic person without the downsides you have to watch them closely and get them when they're vulnerable.

Now that we are done gunning down criminals, time to start building up. Garage, 2 tobacco plantations and an iron mine. Meet the slums!

Also with the usual aid camp being set up I get rid of these farms behind Presidente's palace. Come on, Presidente doesn't want corn grown in his backyard. The farms will be relocated near the plantations.

Well it can't hurt, Richards did help us on our first mission and again when Moreno was attacking us. Surely if we talk to him directly he'll see reason?

:saddowns:

Expanding the slums, this is a year after starting. Plantations are pretty great at generating loads of cash.

Whats that, unmarked bills? Well we gotta rebuild our swiss account somehow, right?

More expansion. Getting the school up and going to educate our future police officers.

Alright now I'm positive Preston will help us out. Remember when our Miners were trapped? And we've been making so much money selling tobacco, that has to make him obligated to help us!

:saddowns: :saddowns:

Oh gently caress this. A measly 1k a year in our swiss account is not worth the downsides of the prohibition edict. I'll never use the prohibition edict so here is what it does:

Increases productivity and increases respect with the Religious faction. But you shut down all bars, night clubs and rum distilleries! Also it increases crime as citizens illegally produce booze. It didn't work out for America, its not gonna happen in Tropico.

With all these criminals, I can't keep watching them so I can send a soldier after them. Here is Presidente's private cabaret with women packing heat. Literally.

Well I appreciate your concern Concerned Citizen, but I will not be blackmailed.

:supaburn:

OF COURSE two of our garages would be targeted. I'm positive the game has a higher weight for selecting garages for disasters.

Hurry up and build the fire station you slackes!

I prioritize the garage by the palace. The one by the docks isn't that important really, the docks have a built in garage that its workers and teamsters will use. Bless our fire fighters, all 1 of them!

The school was also torched. Amazingly our one fireman went from one fire to the other. Typically its fight one fire, then go home to sleep, then see the doctor, then go to the bar... Hell, most of the time its partially fight a fire, then go home to sleep...

Amusingly his thought bubble was "I wish there were fewer fires so that I would be able to work less"

Oh no, maybe I'll actually risk losing an election. The whole 7 votes I lost is a slap in the face. And yeah, if you don't touch the briefcase this never happens. Or if you never have elections :v:

Alright, the other two were a bust. But one of them is POTUS and the other was a billionaire, both are corrupt who ignore people that are of no monetary use to us. Now Santana? We're tight, we're bros. All those bets we made, and he gave us so much help on the first mission. He'll certainly help us out. As Meatloaf has said, two out of three aint bad!

.... My cigars, you bastard! This... this isn't about the milkshake incident was it?

Finally got our prison up. Good thing the game spawned more criminals for me, otherwise this would be kinda hard as I've been ending their criminal careers, permanently.

Oh god dammit. The worst thing about losing buildings is people getting pissed off that they're unemployed. Good thing is while we are waiting for the station to rebuild the prison guards can still serve arrest warrants.

Hm.. you know, crime seems to be concentrated around the church. Sure some may say its cause thats where all the tenements are but... Maybe we have people taking money out of the donation plate?

I did that once. I also drank the holy water. I was 6 ok?

I most definitely did not set up the secret agents ahead of time cause I knew we would need them. Nope! Gonna let our funds build up before I do this.

Continuing expanding the island. Middle class housing being set up, building some houses for the students by the schools. Also building up a cigar factory.

You still cannot blackmail me, I am VERY stubborn like that :colbert:

You know, torching buildings would of been more threatening then this. Time to send in our secret agents, let them earn their pay!

Oh god dammit. I generally never take the secret agent options because RNG hates me. I could've paid a piddly 800 bucks to ensure this didn't happen. Now my docks are shut down.

I tried to see if Presidente could calm down protestors but that didn't work. So I'm gonna try shooting one manually. Its annoying that if the agent failed you can't turn around and go "oh ok guys, here is some money". Well now they get bullets!

Interesting, soldiers DO have vehicles. They just never use them during rebel attacks. I don't think they use them when driving around, they use normal civilian cars. Guess they only use them when serving death warrants.

Well that didn't disperse them. And one of the dockworkers became a rebel. And what is kinda funny is that the job slots got filled up and the new workers came right in to protest. You guys weren't even part of the original plan!

"In broad daylight!" makes me chuckle. We'll need to build a second police station, each one only staffs 5 officers.

I'll build the second station by the docks, as docks generate crime. The prison though is starting to become a bit full however.... Hm...

See ya later assholes! Enjoy your new life!

I swear to god if you guys fail this I'm gonna order the military to shoot you all :argh:

I am the greatest motivator!

Hm... You know, last time I took money I got in trouble. So we'll just set up some surveillance. When someone else takes the money we'll pin it all on him, and HE'LL lose the respect instead!

Sunny why

Oh wow, that was... tame. Also of course the drat garage breaks :argh:

What is nice is that there was 0 victims, so I got an achievement for it!

I'm assuming this is the cave where we found the money. Funny thing was around this area I built a tourist trap on my first time playing. How naive I was thinking tourism was worth it...

Decided to be fancy with the student housing, giving them some benches and a fountain :3:

Alright, last time we hid in the Palace to show how dumb the assassins were cause they wouldn't think to find Presidente in his Presidente's Palace. But this time we got secret agents! And you know the price of failure!

I.... don't know if this is the failure result.

Penultimo: After the assassination attempt on our beloved leader, the culprit expressed deep regrets and blamed the action on foreign mind-control influence. He or she voluntarily left the island, only after erasing every trace of his or her existence. Regardless to say the assassination plan was doomed to fail, because El Presidente is invincible.

Here is a student sitting on a bench and reading. Its a nice touch :shobon:

Wiretapping gives a bonus to our agents in handling subversive events. Coulda used it earlier :v: I think Intellectuals don't like it.

Oh sweet, this is perfect. I've been saving up for a jewelry factory, and cutting the blueprints will be nice.

As we have a gold deposit near the city! While I could've mined the ore earlier, gold deposits are generally lower in quantity and we wouldn't have any ores left on the island for the factory. I mean, yeah I could import it but...

Oh no, the miners at our iron mine are gonna protest. Well go ahead guys. Also why isn't there a secret agent option for this :mad:

Alright this, THIS event was a pain. I had to restart a few times cause the smugglers kept getting away. Supposedly you need 3 secret agents, but I had 3 and the smugglers still got away. I don't know if its the skill of the agents that effect it or if you had to have 10 policemen on the island to do it (going off Penultimo saying "luckily we had enough policemen"). But hey, we get more money in the end!

Oh my, time to expand the military. The Tropican police can't possibly get in a shoot out! They only got pistols, and we know only Presidente is capable of fighting off rebels with a pistol. I guess generals can too...

Huh, the timing of this was kinda funny. I guess you were right Rodriguez!

Oh no, turn around you fool! He is sneaking up on you!

2 on 1, this is clearly going to result in the rebel dying.

OK 3 on 1, why isn't he dying? I swore I told Rodriguez to stop showing Stormtrooper training videos to the troops. Is that joke still relevant? I haven't watched the new Star Wars movies cause I don't watch anything younger then me.

Here comes Presidente to show them how it is done :whatup:

Meet our Jewelry Factory! Under Industry costing 13k and needs a 8k blueprint, this turns our gold into diamonds. Kinda. It makes our gold worth more is what I'm getting at. Jewelry is worth a lot of money, needless to say. The building has 3 upgrades:

Skylights cost 3k and increases job satisfaction by 15%

Jeweler's Guild costs 5k and increases skill gain by 50%. Not shabby in increasing production by having skilled workers.

Finishing Shop costs 16k and requires 10mw of power. Yes, you'll double the cost of your factory getting this, and what do you get in return? The factory makes Fine Jewelry instead of regular Jewelry, which gets you even more money. So really, if you build a jewelry factory you should save up 30k so you can get the most return for the gold you put in it.

Speaking of factories, showing off our single cigar factory and look at that input storage. Gotta build another one, those 2 plantations are flooding the factory.

At this point I finally remembered to pay the 20k to reveal the mafia guy.

Meet the Don. We COULD shoot him in the streets like Penultimo said but... let's be a bit more clever. I send our secret agent after him. People targeted for this have a silenced pistol icon above their head.

Oh no, the mafia is onto us. All 3 agents are killed, you could cheese the game and fire your agents and lock the job positions until after this then unlock the positions to get them back. But that is power gaming and thats boring.

Identifying the second mafia leader only requires getting your secret police restaffed.

Disguising herself as a farmer, genius! Now here is something kinda funny that I'd like to point out: Bela here is 24. She is supposedly been a leader of the Mafia the entire time we've been on the island. The year starts in 1957, this screenshot is in 1971. Bella is hardcore, leading the Mafia at 10! And now she is gonna get shot by a stripper, life sucks.

drat, gonna have to wait for our jewelry factory to pump out some profits. And what do you mean recent fires? The ones that happened 15 years ago by Concerned Citizen?

Oh, you mean those fires.

Good job torching the apartments right next to the fire station :downs:

Why do our citizens keep leaving their factory jobs? Anyways enjoy another shot of our city.

Built a tv station and I set it to Lucha Libre and its generating 7k a year. I'm sure its per year and not month, I kept an eye on income and it didn't go up 7k when the month rolled over.

Sunny Flowers: Ambassador Crane, our listeners are probably dying to know the answer to our next question: What is your favorite animal?

Ambassador Crane: Well Ms. Flowers, when I first came to your island I was struck by the beauty of one of your magnificent creatures - the llama. It reminds me of my mother.

Sunny Flowers: Oooh... llamas. I don't like llamas. They are rude and spit at you...

Ambassador Crane: Just like my mamma.

Don't think I've shown Ambassador Crane, he doesn't really come up often as Richards typically represents the US in the story line.

This is what he looks like. He is the one that gives US based side missions, but for the story line everything from the US is delivered by Richards.

Got our money, lets kill us a Don! And yes we could of arrested and honestly, I'm sad I didn't do that then used the off to Florida edict then. Would've been poetic.

The Don is the husband of a general and is currently hiding in the army base. Sneaky bastard. Funnily enough, the first time I played this he was one of my palace guards and he was discovered as a rebel attack happened. So right after the rebels were fought off I ordered him executed, and one of his fellow soldiers promptly turned around and shot him in the back.

And that is the story of how Don Moriarti was killed.

Built the army base by our gold mine and jewelry factory, gave them a cabaret for fun.

Here is the slums and our money generating buildings.

Middle and high end housing.

Shot of the palace and the docks.

At the end of this, we were generating nearly 12k with the tv station. Nearly 1k a month.

Also I was kidding, one of the "cabaret" girls from across the street paid him a visit and shot him. I don't know if it shows how good our agent was in infiltrating one of our own army bases to kill someone, or if it shows how terrible our military is that someone infiltrated it to kill someone.

Victory! Yeah we didn't make anywhere near 580k in swiss funds this mission, I couldn't wipe the swiss account by replaying the previous mission. Oh well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes the game only wipes your swiss account once. So your insane bonuses from the early missions persist when doing multiple playthroughs. So you might end up with every trait at 5 stars and several millions in your account. If... someone were to play that much.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
They leave factory jobs because the Job Quality is usually pretty terrible for a high school job, so the moment something better shows up -be it another high school level job or you get collages up and running- they'll jump ship pretty quickly; churches tend to suffer this fate as well. I'd say that you can easily counteract that by giving factory jobs a $4 or so raise, but you seem to be allergic to those :v:

At least until Modern Times rolls around, but it's an indirect fix there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Unoriginal One posted:

They leave factory jobs because the Job Quality is usually pretty terrible for a high school job, so the moment something better shows up -be it another high school level job or you get collages up and running- they'll jump ship pretty quickly; churches tend to suffer this fate as well. I'd say that you can easily counteract that by giving factory jobs a $4 or so raise, but you seem to be allergic to those :v:

At least until Modern Times rolls around, but it's an indirect fix there.

oooh, is that why churches always manage to empty themselves?
Because Cathedrals are so not worth the extra money, upkeep and space.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

I'd say that you can easily counteract that by giving factory jobs a $4 or so raise, but you seem to be allergic to those :v:

Well I AM an American :v:

Currently doing a test run of the next map, I'll get a vote up soon for what presidente to go with next

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This game may be nonsense but it sure does have the English government down

"coconuts or whatever"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
He had to gloat. I suppose it's not perfect revenge unless you gloat.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
I usually "fix" people leaving factory jobs by stacking education rate bonuses and using the skilled workers immigration office setting until I have enough people with high school degrees to fill all my high school job slots.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Next mission is El Presidente taking all the rejects of the world and making a successful island with them. Each group we take in will have some sort of downside that we'll need to deal with. Our choices are...

A

Next mission does have some tourism building requirements, so we can go with making said tourism somewhat profitable.

B

We will show the world we can make the people work for the people.

C

We will show the world we can make even the biggest reject successful, after enough oil is made of course.

Voting will be open until Thursday at 12 pm pacific!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Full Communism begins with a B!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

B for biggest B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
B is for Communism!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
C

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can't spell communism without a B.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Anyone who would vote against 'Pop Singer' Chupacabra doesn't deserve communism.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
C our wonderful natural resources.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A because we are going to make you suffer through every tourism bonus we can

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
We must show the world that communism can Be a success.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

B. Never mind that its never worked any time before, I'm sure Presidente can succeed.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Veloxyll posted:

A because we are going to make you suffer through every tourism bonus we can

A, for the reasons given above.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh, at the buzzer!

Let's go B, Communism. Because that's what was being discussed at 4 a.m. this morning.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looks like option B has won, democracy works! Minus the part where I keep forgetting to close off the votes Actually that sounds pretty true to current democracies!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No One Left Behind

Today's map is taking all the rejects of the world and turning them into profit!

Presidente Chupacabra will show with some hard work even the most pathetic of people can be made into something powerful.

Moscow U gives a +30 USSR respect and +10 Communist respect on top of a 10% learning bonus, but gives -15 US relations

Installed by the KGB gives +40 USSR relations and +10 Communists relations and a -30% liberty. It also removes the high school requirement for soldiers, minus those in the DLC bunker building. Its like enacting the draft with none of the downsides! Well, besides uneducated soldiers getting less skill and thus, be worse in battle.

Activist gives a +10 respect with the Intellectuals and +5 respect with the Environmentalists. Each rank gives additional respect to the Environmentalists.

Hardworking gives a +2% bonus to production, with each rank giving additional bonuses.

Pompous gives a +20 respect with the EU, at the cost of -10 relations with the US, a +30% increase in edict costs and you're restricted to praising yourself in elections. Each rank gives additional respect with the EU.

Welcome to Nueva Esperanza. Wow, we got 4 free houses on this start! Not a fan of how Presidente's Palace is facing the wrong way however.

Now all world leaders, take a look. We'll show you how even the so called "undesirables" of society can be successful!

Now... when they say 50 mimes they don't ACTUALLY mean 50 people are storming onto the island in the first month, right?

:stonklol:

Alright, so we have a bit of a situation here. Lots of unemployed, homeless people. Really, the start of this mission is a real kick in the stomach. Just bam, we are going to increase your population by 250%, you aren't given any additional money, have fun! I may have had to restart a few times, my usual gameplay of "gotta go fast" backfired on me as future migration waves (oh spoilers) came so fast and unhappiness spiraled out of control.

So we are going to take it slow, one step at a time. Up the hill from the city center is a fertile land and an iron deposit, as well as all these trees. I pop down a logging camp, a mine, a tobacco plantation and of course a garage.

Back near town I try to get housing under control. Set up the typical foreign aid camp. Hell, this map is what introduced me to the crutch that is the aid camp. You need food and healthcare for your 80 pop island. Despite the fact I have this set up we still lose 5 people to starvation :goleft:

You really want to make sure you get yourself situated before moving ahead. Unlike other maps you don't get money or some other bonus for completing tasks this mission, you just remove the downside. And trust me, losing 1 citizen every year is far better then getting more and more people storming in. You really should hold off on building the cabaret.

Sunny Flowers: Agent Sasha, I am happy that you were able to leave your super secret bunker in Russia in order to join us. I have always wanted to ask you - what do you use to make your hair so shiny?

Agent Sasha: Comrade Sunny I am happy to be here, among our brothers in Tropico, to spread the light of Communism for the future generations.

Comrade Sunny: Yes yes... That is good and all, but really... I want to know how you got that gorgeous hair!

It begins

So yeah, 80+ people living in shacks, most unemployed, somehow not managing to get food and healthcare and not getting their religious satisfaction, on top of liberty penalties is starting a rebel cascade. These drat mimes wont wait for us to even build amenities.

So this is what we are going to do, set up a defense minister and pop the Silence the Rebels edict. It costs a chunk of change, especially here in the early game, and makes the Intellectuals unhappy but it freezes all rebel activity for 3 years. No one becoming a rebel, no rebel attacks, just peace and quiet. You can only do this once however, but right now we really want to stem people becoming rebels. We don't even have the infrastructure to build an army!

*Tilts neck to side, inserts finger into collar of shirt and tugs at it while gulping*

Sunny Flowers: Ambassador Crane, is it true that relations between Tropico and the US are more complicated then they usually are?

Ambassador Crane: No Comment.

Sunny Flowers: And is it true that the gunships sent to our territorial waters have been delayed due to somehow ending up on the mainland in Asia?

Ambassador Crane: No. Comment. This interview is done!

Paraphrased as I couldn't get this dialogue to fire off and I was going off memory

Well it looks like embracing Mother Russia has had some side effects. As well as being an rear end in a top hat. There are 2 ways to deal with gunboats on your island: You either improve relations with that power or you get an alliance with the other power. And well, we can't ally with the USSR right now because I enacted the USSR Aid edict to reduce our tenement costs. You can only issue a foreign edict once every 2 years. You cannot fight off an invasion, as young Leal learned in Tropico 1 when he used cheats to give himself a big army and got a game over when the US invaded.

:psyduck: Uh.. yeah they showed up for like 2 months then bounced. I wonder wh

:sigh:

Well, here is our slums shortly before the tsunami hit...

It would destroy my tenements when all my citizens are pissy AND ALL MY GARAGES :byodood:

Some buildings wont be outright destroyed during a disaster, they get damaged. They can still function but they can catch on fire randomly. You can pay a fee upfront to instantly repair it or wait for your construction workers to have nothing else to do and they'll fix it. I don't really like how that works, I guess you can have some control over it by manually pausing construction on everything but I'd prefer a simple "fix this first" button.

Alright Cabaret up, and showing off where middle class housing is going to be.

Penultimo, you ask the impossible. You cannot make a cold hearted lawyer (I repeat myself) into someone good. You simply cannot. And yeah, this is another reason to hold off on the cabaret, should you build it too quick you'll have to deal with rebels popping up every year. On top of dissatisfied people becoming rebels. I'm sure the rebels from this event bypass the silence the rebel edict, so I waited until it ran out before finishing the cabaret.

Time to start getting proper industry up and running. If nothing else the population boom gave us lots of bodies to staff our agriculture buildings.

Meet the Grade School, under Education and Media for 4k. This gives an education to our children, in Tropico children are citizens under 13. From 13 they become "adults". Citizens with a grade school education get an intelligence boost when they become adults, which means they are more likely to have the intelligence to go to high school. Its nice to ensure you'll have citizens smart enough for higher education when all the immigrants you get are dumb :v: It has 4 modes:

Field Trips gives a random skill to graduates. This can be nice if a graduate got skill for a job you have spots open for.

Youth Organization makes graduates more likely to become Loyalists.

Spelling Bee Contests gives graduates and even further bonus to intelligence.

Obedience Training reduces the graduates courage, which makes them less likely to rebel. It may also effect citizens and soldiers when fighting too, so this can backfire on you.

Typically I go with the spelling bee. I'd rather have smarter citizens who can skill up faster in the profession they join rather then get a random bonus to a skill that may not even be available on the island. Though I rarely build grade schools, citizens typically have BIG families with lots of children and each grade school can only house 12 students. I'm sure children aren't in the school for the entire 13 years they are children (or maybe they do?) but still, at the middle point my island had something like 160 children. I'm not building 14 schools!

I dunno Penultimo, I still think trying to turn a lawyer into a good person is a lost cause.

But fine, we can turn these into beef ranches when we finish the quest. I build some corn and papaya farms up here and destroy the 2 starting ones back in town. The land down there wasn't great for farming in the first place.

:O Well now we'll definitely turn these into beef farms, finally my own camel!

I think now is a good time to show off elections, for reals this time. I'm still having spikes of discontentment and while I have 4 times the votes its not beyond the realm of reality for a migration wave to hit and the people who just came off the boat decide they want to vote against me.

Of course, being pompous means we can only praise ourselves :haw:

That mandate was the only one that seemed feasible to me. If you fail your mandate by next election your speech has less of an effect. Honestly I was surprised that building a cathedral wasn't one of the options.

El Presidente: Friends, comrades, companeros...

The importance of the upcoming elections has brought me before you. We are one step closer to our goals. Victory is almost upon us, but still we must push forward. We have problems, as does any other nation - bad healthcare for example. But we also face adversities other nations do not have to deal with: They do not have to suffer from the colonialist attitude of the United States.

Still, as Presidente I have worked hard day and night - done quite a job to ensure my worth for the responsibility you have bestowed upon me. Gracias amigos! The development in the past years is obvious to all; still, there are lots of things to be done. As part of my reform plan for my next mandate, I shall see to it that our brave army has enough officers. God bless you and good day.

Quite the crowd Presidente attracted during his speech, only if the palace faced the other way :downs:

The speeches can vary wildly depending on your island. The way Presidente addresses people at the start, who he blames for the problems (foreign powers, rebels, factions you have low respect with), how the island is coming along, and the final words. I'm gonna show them off more often, even though for the most part the opponent is lucky to even vote for themselves.

Slums are coming along nicely, building a police station to keep the citizens in check. I was going to build an armory but I held off on it until the elections are over. After all, why bother hiring generals if the people may not vote for me?

Oh jeeze, the most worthless immigrants we could ask for: Canadians! :downsrim:

But no seriously, that 20% drop in prices is going to really hurt. This is the other point where I had to restart as my industry couldn't make up for the drop in prices.

No, Made in Tropico will survive because I'm a patriot and just really stubborn in that way. Also I recently built a computer desk with parts made in China and no joke 8 of the 12 screws are stripped. I hope I don't have to take this thing apart anytime soon. Using a bigger screwdriver did let me finish screwing in the screws but these aren't coming back out without an extraction kit. And then I'd need to buy new screws. Screws cost like 20 cents guys for a high quality screw, surely your drat factory workers can go to home depot and just charge me the extra 3 bucks :argh:

Sorry went off for a bit there. Now that we have managed the impossible and made lawyers actually decent people these ranches are going into full beef mode. We will finally get our camel.

What you say? Are we on the way to destruction?

Penultimo: Why are we doing this again...?

Sunny Flowers: The bomb squad wont make it in time and we're the only ones who are qualified enough to deal with a bomb thread.

Penultimo: I've never disarmed bombs before. Isn't it extremely dangerous?

Sunny Flowers: it's very easy, actually. You cut all the wires and run as fast as you can.

Well rip Sunny Flowers. Anyways showing off our tenements are starting to free up. Its always nice seeing that your citizens can start moving into apartments.

:siren: The rebels are attacking the ranches, I repeat, the rebels are attacking the ranches! :siren:

They don't want Presidente to have a camel!

And what cowards they are, after Presidente popped out in ambush from the corn fields a rebel has already fled before Presidente has raised his gun. Now its time for Presidente to law down the law.

:smith:

And now the rebels take over Presidente's perch, and here comes a brave, lone palace guard. For some reason our military is hilariously understaffed.

Oh god, the palace guard got one. Its now 2 on 2.

The guard got the other guy! Now for one more rebel! Can he do it?

Taking over the for the strangely popular corn patch, the guard stands his ground...

Nooooooo!

Welp, time to barricade the Palace cause we have no guards. Why don't we have guards, it pays better and has more job quality then the other high school jobs.

I think something is bugging out, because it says the palace needs "grade school" educated citizens. Which makes me think if a citizen doesn't have a grade school education they cannot become a soldier, and since you don't need to go to grade school to go to high school it means our higher educated citizens can't apply. Not building more grade schools has bit me in the rear end.

Alright, its 1 on 1. A rebel who I'm sure is worn down by that brave soldier and our fresh general. I mean, he's a general. If a single palace guard can take out 2 rebels a general should be able to handle 1 right?

Fuuuuuuuuu

Welp, rest in peace cows. Our moves to getting a camel has been set back.

Alright, its time for an army base to expand our military. And what better place to prioritize defense then our beef farms?

Oh noooo, does this mean we can't get our camel anymore :saddowns:

Oh god. Quick, send the military! I WANT THAT CAMEL

Inner city is coming along nicely. How funny would it be if the double learning that a TV station can provide also makes students graduate twice as fast? See, TV CAN be good!

Finally getting around to the stupid shopping malls.... seriously, 2 shopping malls? Thats 26k down the drain and I need to use 40mw of power for them. I'm going to promptly destroy them so I don't care where they're placed :colbert:

Starving artists eh? You know if they can hold out for another 20 years for the internet to be invented they can make some money drawing people's OCs on deviantart. And furry porn. Is that still a big money maker on the internet or did the market get over saturated already? Don't answer that question. Also don't post about how the internet existed earlier then the 90s.

Penultimo: Tropico's population has reached 250 people. We are slowly but surely turning into the China of the Caribbean.

Sunny Flowers: Our hot topic today - housing. Don't you think there are too many shacks on the island Penultimo?

Penultimo: Homeless? If there was a single homeless person in Tropico I would personally build him his very own shack!

Sunny Flowers: Yeah, but to live in a shack...

Penultimo: A home is a home is a home, Sunny! Today's shacks are tomorrow's mansions, as long as we faithfully follow El Presidente, right?

Sunny Flowers: Right.

Well that explains whose been building all these shacks then. And let's be honest Penultimo, under Presidente today's shacks are tomorrow's tenements.

Throwing up an extra tobacco farm, plantations are pretty good at creating jobs with 8 farmers a pop. Extra teamsters office as well, need more hands to move all our product around.

Ah yes, the message of a 250+ population island. Whats really great is when you build another nearby garage and you still get this message on the same spot.

So I should have held off on building the art museum, but -50 relations with the Military is huge, and pretty scary since they can cause coups. Also for some reason on this island the Militarists make up a sizable portion of the population.

Meet the "Museum" of "Modern" "Art", as the description states. Under Entertainment for 8.5k, it requires female college graduates to staff. It provides 65 base service quality and has a tourist spending of 45. It has 3 work modes:

Show Foreign Art shoots up the upkeep to $72 a month for giving 20 service quality.

Promote Tropican Art will randomly sell Tropican art every year. I'm sure its based off the skill of the workers, on the low end you might get 1k and I've gotten as high as 6k.

Abstract Art has a chance to turn visitors into Intellectuals.

Penultimo: And now it's time for your guide to the modern arts with General Rodriguez.

General Rodriguez: Listen up, maggots! This is modern art! You will love it! You will love it like your life depends on it unless it becomes mainstream! Then you should hate it! Now go in a corner and look thoughtful!

Very rarely do the other faction members get radio time, but when they do its good :allears:

Hoo boy... We are over 300 now. We got 90 people within months of one another, lots of homeless and unemployed. The "resource hill" is getting a bit cramped... what can we do with these people....

We'll go ahead and make a tourist industry! Got a nice stretch of beach here doing nothing else!

Meet the Cocktail Bar, under Tourism for 3k. It provides a service quality of 65 and a tourist spending of 30. Its pretty good for a starter tourist building. It has 3 drink choices:

El Presidente is a general service, provides for everyone. It is a mix of rum, vermouth, curacao and grenadine.

Planeter's Punch only serves farmers and eco tourists. It is a mix of rum, grenadine, lemon, pineapple and orange juices.

Screwdriver serves only factory workers and spring break tourists. It is a mix of vodka and orange juice.

Note that even though its a tourist building, and thus needs a hotel to be build-able, it can serve Tropicans. Viewer participation: Mix a few of these and try them out. All blame goes to the wiki I'm using to get the info. I'm a dry man so its all on you at home!

Sunny Flowers: Dear Tropicans, join me in taking a minute of silence because I have a horrible hangover from a girl's night out in the cocktail bar last night. In unrelated news, Penultimo is suffering from a moderate concussion, caused by blinking too loudly near me.

:allears:

Annoyingly, despite trying to appeal solely to spring breakers I'm getting a bunch of wealthy tourist. I guess that "Modern" "Art" was just too enticing.

I mean look at this. Wealthy tourists don't use the pool, the Marina is set to charter fishing, the cabaret has no dress code so it isn't restricted to wealthy tourists....

And there we go, I guess the wealthy and spring breakers enjoy the cruise liner so eh.

Oh dear, so much for our tourist industry. We almost got all the doctors though so this wont be holding us back for long. And thankfully this is the last large wave of people so we can get it done quick.

40 new immigrants, and the homeless camp gets bigger. If nothing else it gives me an easy way to eyeball my progress in fixing this.

A dagger with a glass handle filled with sand... hm...

Oh, oh god. Please, take the dagger! Besides you already gifted me 30k earlier so we'll call it even.

Got up another hospital to get our doctors... also the fact we have over 400 people and having less then 10 doctors is kinda bad. And starting to build another section of middle class housing to keep up with the homeless issue.

And bam, end game. Just need to get 1 million. Thankfully our band of misfits and rejects have talents to get us that money.

Oh man, we need to get a copy of this to torment Penultimo with. Silence of the Lambs, but its about a cannibal mime.

Gonna plop it between the new middle class housing and tourist area.

Oh hey, what better time then to show off the airports. Good thing the US warmed up to us so we can get their development aid, which cuts the costs of an airport by half.

Oh no, you see when the rebels thought they saw the monster Chupacabra, what they really saw was the Demon of Chupacabra, aka El Presidente. Thank you lucha libre name generator for that name

Well we did have a time to vote if we wanted to make smelly cheese and we said no. So no, we will not engage with this. Besides we need our ranches producing delicious beef for more camels! Now if you want to find a way to make money with mustachio'd women....

Meet the airport, under Tourism for 24k and it requires a minister of economy. Of course you're going to get the US development aid first to cut it down to 12k or you're an idiot. An airport allows us to do trade missions with the foreign powers which I don't show off, and brings in tourists. These tourists typically have more money then those who came in on boats. It has 2 work modes:

Coach service is the default mode

First class increases upkeep to 60 a month and decreases the total number of tourists that come in by 30% but you only get wealthy tourists.

And 2 upgrades:

Control Tower costs 8k and requires 10mw of power to increase the number of tourists by 20%.

Enhanced Terminal costs 5k and increases the number of wealthy tourists by 40%

Now when it says wealthy I'm sure that means the wealthy type of tourists, and not simply richer tourists. So in a way you could ensure you only get wealthy tourists by only building an airport and turning on first class.

And while I'm showing off new buildings, meet the Ancient Ruins. We cannot build these, maps may come with these. We can turn these into one of two buildings:

Museums are tourist buildings, for eco tourists. Runs 1.5k and provides 85 quality with a spending of 25. The game claims Tropicans can visit too but hey never do.

Excavation Site costs 1k and hires 2 miners to mine for ancient goods and sells it, the proceeds goes into the swiss bank account.

Since this ancient site is located at the very, very top of the hill and so far away from the tourist beach I went with excavation site. Hell, with a spending of 25 I am hard pressed to make it into a museum.

The city is starting to blow up and ooh boy, cars are piling.

Here is a miner who ended up ditching his ride to walk all the way up the hill to get to work. This is the slow, logistic death of high populations. Again, Modern Times has something to help with this.

Nice, about a third of our goal. And sadly it seems Penultimo is getting over his mime phobia, no showing him psychological movies with mimes.

Its always funny that to "give" people on our island a resource we need to export it. But hey, at least they asked for lumber and not rum.

Because you know

The rum is always gone. Also this map isn't great for sugar.

So rich we are going to gamble it all away. Meet the Casino, under Entertainment for 10k and needs 25mw of power. It has a base quality of 55 and provides 50 tourist spending. It has 3 work modes:

Nickel slot machines is the base line and it attracts slob tourists.

Blackjack increases service quality by 10% but only high school and up educated citizens will use it and it attracts spring breakers.

Baccarat increases quality by 20% but only allows college educated in and attracts the wealthy tourists.

Its been a bit and we are still 0/1000 lumber. And look at this, a trash bag with a slash icon means the building isn't producing. For over a year.

... Oh god we are having this problem again. Both our cigar factories have the trash bag icon. All these buildings have 2 workers each. I could raise the wages to increase job quality but those factory workers should be working for the betterment of the people and Presidente demands that they match his quotas.

Thankfully it seems a bunch of children grew up as our high school is full so these should be getting filled up soon.

The city expands, it ever expands. My OCD is driving me crazy in trying to throw everything in.

Cosmic Pin built, set to all you can drink to get more spring breakers. This fails and wealthy tourists keep coming.

Our industry buildings are staffed again so I activate this baby. 20% increase to all factory goods for 3 years. With our customs office thats 40% increase.

Antonio Lopez: Need a little zest in your life? Try "Tropico imported goods". Whatever it is that you want to do, you will be able to do it better. Now with no preservatives or dangerous chemicals. You will be surprised at the amount of new things you will be able to do - just ask this happy customer.

Penultimo: :geno: I tried Tropican goods and it was great. I feel a new and better person

Man we are getting all kinds of cameos of the other faction leaders this update. Also that is why I stick with Tropican brand instead of claiming it was made in China.

And hell, since we are rolling in money... Lets embrace our Communist beliefs and allow people to live in whatever house they want.

How funny is it that the first person to grab an apartment is an unemployed person. But yeah, no rents. At all. No getting 1/3rd of our citizens pay back.

Since rent is no longer a thing, time to take out all the tenements on the island.

Antonio Lopez: Hey kids, why the long face? I know what you need - Tropico pop! The only soft drink that can also be used as nail polish remover, laundry detergent, and super-glue! Guaranteed to contain no natural ingredients and produced in our own Chemical Plant!

Good, I'm glad it has no natural ingredients. I can't tell you how many things were ruined for me when I learned stuff had something good for me in it. Like when they started putting a whole serving of vegetables in canned ravioli. Also I have never heard Lopez on the radio and now he's all over it.

And there we go, the slums are no more. Adequate housing for all!

I mean, why bother having cheap housing when you're pulling these numbers on exports?

Oh come on, we were making progress!

And it would touch down right outside of the highest concentration of town :sigh:

And it promptly plows through all the houses. You think mother nature is saying something? It continues to plow through apartments. In fact this tornado only destroys housing, and completely ignored garages! Maybe mother nature doesn't approve of us having free housing...

Well thats nice. Sometimes your Ministers can get free buildings. Though uh... I never really seen the need for having more then 1 high school. Though that may be because I generally have more uneducated jobs so I don't really feel the rush to getting a bunch of educated citizens.

:psyduck: Why are we still getting sizable migrant waves? Is it because of the free housing, food and healthcare?

gently caress off, we're full!

Nice, 2/3rd of the way there (actually with all our export profits, we are at 950k). Also these pirates are assholes, trying to weasel out of paying us our share. I bought an entire cruise liner for you!

Well, not building more then 1 educational facility has screwed me over again. I get up an academy of science for its professors, build a horticulture station, and finally...

This building, the weather station. Under Welfare and Economy for 8k, this building gives an advance warning on disasters. It has 3 work modes

Truthful Reports is the default

Always Sunny increases tourism rating by 5 and gets us an extra 2 migrants per boat

Always Rainy decreases tourism rating by 5 and deducts 2 migrants per boat

And 3 upgrades:

Seismic Detector costs 5k and gives us earl warnings of earthquakes and volcanoes, which reduces casualties

Tsunami Early Warning System costs 10k and requires 5mw of power to give us a warning on Tsunamis.

Storm Detection costs 7.5k and predicts tornadoes and hurricanes, reducing casualties.

This is the only red exclamation all mission and it uh... sucks. Privatization is something I'll touch on when the game forces us to do it but it is GARBAGE

The weather station got us our last professors, and bam we got our 1 million. If we still didn't have the money we could use our lawyers to sue other minor powers.

Our tourist trap

Inner city.

The reformed "slums"

Our "resource lane"

Our little nest for the excavation site, giving the miners some cozy housing... that was grabbed by other people so I made an apartment as well.

Victory! Yeah this mission can be frustrating, its partly why this update came out later. I restarted a few times due to overpopulation, it was hard slowing back down and taking the migrant waves one at a time.

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That was the mission that always kicked my rear end, but you got it done pretty well. I remember ignoring the the Military faction and getting hit with a coup. Always keep the Militarists and the Nationalists happy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Tropican version of Communism sure is a strange one.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Alright, fair bit to comment on here...

Grade Schools are, in a word, useless. Completely, utterly, useless. Go back and check how many graduates you had at the end of the mission if you can, it'll probably be in the single-digit range. I don't recall the exact mechanics, but the attending children have to spend a significant number of years attending the place to actually graduate. Kid gets enrolled, but is going to hit adulthood before they can put in enough time? Too bad, they eat the slot anyways. Is the kid young enough, but simply can't or won't clock in enough time to have it count? That slot's still gone. If it's not part of a mission and you're not in the 'too much money' phase, then just don't bother.

TRAFFIC. Lots of little tricks to aid things here until you can get to Modern Times. Don't stick garages directly on main roads. Resist the urge to have just one main road; alternate routes and bypasses are your friends, as much as you may not like them. So are rotaries. Curve instead of cornering where possible. There's more, but I've since forgotten them; though Modern Times renders the whole thing moot anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Is there difference on using Free Housing edict and just setting all rents to zero?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda like that mission, it's short but massive populations is one of the few actual challenges that aren't too unfair.

Banemaster posted:

Is there difference on using Free Housing edict and just setting all rents to zero?
Yes. Using the edict makes the communists like you and the capitalists dislike you. That's the only difference. It doesn't have to make sense when ideologies are involved.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I couldn't think of a third choice, sorry guys. Next mission will be us making an ex British colony into a colony again, and then like most British colonies we'll revolt.

Option A

We'll be achieving revolt through the people.

Option B

We'll be achieving revolt through our loyal sycophants

Voting will end when I get off work Saturday, 12pm pacific.

Unoriginal One posted:

Grade Schools are, in a word, useless. Completely, utterly, useless. Go back and check how many graduates you had at the end of the mission if you can, it'll probably be in the single-digit range. I don't recall the exact mechanics, but the attending children have to spend a significant number of years attending the place to actually graduate. Kid gets enrolled, but is going to hit adulthood before they can put in enough time? Too bad, they eat the slot anyways. Is the kid young enough, but simply can't or won't clock in enough time to have it count? That slot's still gone. If it's not part of a mission and you're not in the 'too much money' phase, then just don't bother.

My latest save from that mission is when the tourist trap was built, though considering the grade school was built fairly early on...

.... No, that can't be correct. The almanac shows only 5 people with grade school educations, though that doesn't account for people who graduated from grade school then went to high school/college. But unless the lifetime metric is bugged out literally 3 children out of the hundreds we've had over the years have actually gotten a grade school diploma :psyduck:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Our loyal sycophants will bring us to victory!

B

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

B El Presidente is the only cause Tropico needs!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 24, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We cannot trust the people, but we can always trust our loyal suck-ups! (B)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
B

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
We shall become a colony and then break from the colony as an El Presidente worshipping cult.
B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Leal posted:

My latest save from that mission is when the tourist trap was built, though considering the grade school was built fairly early on...

.... No, that can't be correct. The almanac shows only 5 people with grade school educations, though that doesn't account for people who graduated from grade school then went to high school/college. But unless the lifetime metric is bugged out literally 3 children out of the hundreds we've had over the years have actually gotten a grade school diploma :psyduck:

3's actually a touch lower than I was expecting; I was anticipating around 5~8 or so, maybe around 10 if you'd gotten lucky.

But yeah, you either need to spend a lot of money and build a ton of them so you can catch kids when they're young enough to actually graduate, or you just don't bother.