Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

lol wut? link plz

http://fortune.com/2017/10/06/fidelity-bitcoin-ethereum/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0cX6GT_fE

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

NeuralSpark posted:

Followed by a meltdown in our Slack channel about how once the "normies" with their gaming rigs and Nicehash get out of the market it'll all be ok.

But if "normies" get out then who the hell will be paying that amount of money? God these people never really think, do they? At least I learned my lesson in the 7th grade with Pokemon cards.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This was posted to the other thread but it's worth posting here because it's so amazing.

https://www.wired.com/story/now-that-tech-runs-the-world-lets-retire-the-hacker-ideal/

Important. Read from the beginning through the 4th paragraph. Then imagine that a writer for a technical magazine which at one point had a pretty good reputation wrote this. And an editor approved it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
volume warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FoUs5HQ_oU

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Goon island is back

NYTimes posted:

And these men — because they are almost exclusively men — have a plan for what to do with the wealth: They want to build a crypto utopia, a new city where the money is virtual and the contracts are all public, to show the rest of the world what a crypto future could look like. Blockchain, a digital ledger that forms the basis of virtual currencies, has the potential to reinvent society — and the Puertopians want to prove it.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
s
h
i
t
c
o
i
n

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Our currency demands huge amounts of power resources. Moves to an island with frequent power outages, and 30% of the population has zero power.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veiled boner fuel posted:

If you had a friend that bought 10 BTC at 18,000 each when would you expect them to be back that high? Month or two, probably?

lol

'your friend' is probably going to be bag holding for a while

quote:

and these men — because they are almost exclusively men — have a plan for what to do with the wealth: They want to build a crypto utopia, a new city where the money is virtual and the contracts are all public, to show the rest of the world what a crypto future could look like.

goddamn ayn rand

why not just call yourselves Aes Sedai while you're aping fiction novels

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 2, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bitcoin is crashing the forums

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah yes, our country that operates on speculative assets that go up and down by huge percentages at whim certainly wont result in catastrophic difficulty trying to do something like “pay for a months long contract”

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

A group of men are openly planning tax evasion. This can only go well.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seems legit

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Dolphin posted:

seems legit

It's fantasy island for pedophiles.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Dolphin posted:

seems legit

Oberyn Martell, Rob Schneider, and hipster-Peter Jackson are going to be the new boat captains of industry.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That article's a pro-click btw

quote:

He said he was aiming to create a charitable token called ONE with $1 billion of his own money. “If you take the MY out of money, you’re left with ONE,” Mr. Pierce said.

“He’s tuned in to a higher calling,” said Kai Nygard, scion of the Canadian clothing company Nygard and a crypto investor. “He’s beyond money.”

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Make Malatora Great Again (with Bitcoin)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“He’s tuned in to a higher calling,” ... “He’s beyond money.”

:ussr:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I wonder if cheap used GPUs will flood the market or if the miners who bought them recently are going to keep them even if they are making $10/month after electricity. Considering how much they love HODLing I am thinking the latter.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 › Bitcoin: HODL me, I'm scared.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Dolphin posted:

seems legit

One billion dollars and he can't afford a better hat.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
he's beyond hats

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Andy Dufresne posted:

Edit wrong thread, but leaving this here:

owns

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Thread title won't need to be changed soon and that makes me happy

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

that article posted:

They call what they are building Puertopia. But then someone told them, apparently in all seriousness, that it translates to “eternal boy playground” in Latin

Jesus wept

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

quote:

They want to build a crypto utopia, a new city where the money is virtual and the contracts are all public, to show the rest of the world what a crypto future could look like.
Visions of dystopian nightmare futures have gone too far

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Let them think it's Goon Island when in reality it's AIDStown

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they had to change it from "eternal boy playground" because it was just a little too on the nose

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Mr. Collins, an internet veteran, had raised more than $20 million from an initial coin offering for BlockV, his app store for the blockchain, whose outstanding tokens are worth about $125 million. He had also co-founded Tether, which backs cryptocurrency tied to the value of a dollar and whose outstanding tokens are worth about $2.1 billion, though the company has generated enormous controversy in the virtual currency world.

“So, no. No, I don’t want to pay taxes,” Mr. Collins said. “This is the first time in human history anyone other than kings or governments or gods can create their own money.”

fuckin lol he admits it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Mr. Collins, an internet veteran, had raised more than $20 million from an initial coin offering for BlockV, his app store for the blockchain, whose outstanding tokens are worth about $125 million. He had also co-founded Tether, which backs cryptocurrency tied to the value of a dollar and whose outstanding tokens are worth about $2.1 billion, though the company has generated enormous controversy in the virtual currency world.

“So, no. No, I don’t want to pay taxes,” Mr. Collins said. “This is the first time in human history anyone other than kings or governments or gods can create their own money.

l m a o

dumbass

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK how about people like that don't have to pay taxes but also they aren't protected by any rule of law other than that of their own making and that'll get their penie hard for about 5 seconds as they fantasize about MG emplacements until they realize no matter what kind of fancy ordinance they have they can't survive isolated from society and are subject to being robbed/killed with impunity.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Grimoire posted:

Jesus wept

boytopia :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

joats posted:

When my grand kids ask me about the stock market crash of '18 it's going to be hard to hold a straight face and tell them about Bitcoin.

So I'm just going to show them this forum thread.

im reporting you to future cps

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

let it mellow posted:

fuckin lol he admits it

lol leave it to a libertarian to have no understanding of history at all

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Bitcoin isn't the only thing crashing the stock market fell 666 points today.

Hail Satan. :devil:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

OK how about people like that don't have to pay taxes but also they aren't protected by any rule of law other than that of their own making and that'll get their penie hard for about 5 seconds as they fantasize about MG emplacements until they realize no matter what kind of fancy ordinance they have they can't survive isolated from society and are subject to being robbed/killed with impunity.

"society"?

sounds like a euphemism for collectivism to me!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

let it mellow posted:

fuckin lol he admits it

So where's this blockchain appstore he promised? All these ICOs claim they're gonna do "X" on the blockchain, raise $10-50 million and then nothing happens. Coins just get speculated on exchanges for years by idiots. Where are all these products that they're supposed to create? There are like 1000 coins now.

Scratch that, what is the incentive to actually create anything after you ICO and get millions from idiots? If you're the 0.01% with an actually good idea why not just gently caress off, create the company with all the money you were given, issue actual stock to new investors and make even more money? People with coins don't own stock, have no voting rights, and can't benefit directly from the idea ever doing well. You also don't owe them anything. And if you're in the 99.99% with a poo poo idea, you can just gently caress off with the money too.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
don't worry, it's all in the blockchain

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Like OK, he got $50mil from that appstore ICO and has now apparently hosed off to PR. Between working on this unrelated utopia bullshit every day, wasting the money on buying properties, and laying on the beach, how much time is he spending coding this appstore? Why are people still buying that coin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"topia" is literally place ("eutopia" = "good place", "utopia" = "no place", "dystopia" = "bad place", the same Greek root as topology/topographic)

so it's BOY PLACE