Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

Snipping the slotted base tab off the feet of all these Seraphon is kinda clumsy, but I guess they wouldn't have made a whole new sprue just to accommodate the new bases. Problem is Saurus Warrior feet at least are pretty flimsy and aren't going to adhere to the bases securely unless I use plastic glue, but that's going to effect how I do my bases (cork cobblestones on top of vallejo dark earth). Thoughts?

You can get slotted round bases for cheap.

Edit: oh, you're doing scenic bases. I think you're pinning if you're concerned about adherence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Think I might just bite the bullet with the plastic glue and place a couple pieces of ruined mortar between their legs or something. I've gotten pretty good at applying texture paint around glued on models.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I like to leave two spears from the slot tab connected to the feet of the model and use that as the pin. No drilling into small feet helps a lot.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I like to leave two spears from the slot tab connected to the feet of the model and use that as the pin. No drilling into small feet helps a lot.

Do this, I've done that for about 50 skinks and the same amount of saurus and had no issues at all.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Legion of Blood looks way less interesting than Sacrament:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/01/legions-nagash-legion-blood-prince-vhordraigw-homepage-post-2/

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

I thought so too. I’m not a Death player, and whilst the Blood stuff looks OK, it’s not as flavourful or ripe with troll potential as the other stuff previewed. It does boost your elite dudes and gives them a bit of survivability. But it’s not “Unending hordes meets Sylvaneth style deep striking” which is all sorts of demoralising and terrifying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Got my first demo of this awful, stupid game in yesterday. Foot of Gork'd 20 of the 24 wounds off a unit of Mournfang Cav in one go.

gently caress yeah

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'd like to ask, what made you want to try out the game?

I don't really play it but I've read a bit of Privateer dropping the ball and alienating players the last year or so. Is that it?

It may seem like a weird question but I was just wondering if you had an outside perspective of the direction GW has been steering the game the last 18 months or so.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

S.J. posted:

Got my first demo of this awful, stupid game in yesterday. Foot of Gork'd 20 of the 24 wounds off a unit of Mournfang Cav in one go.

gently caress yeah

This is how they get you. By being a genuinely entertaining game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'd like to ask, what made you want to try out the game?

I don't really play it but I've read a bit of Privateer dropping the ball and alienating players the last year or so. Is that it?

It may seem like a weird question but I was just wondering if you had an outside perspective of the direction GW has been steering the game the last 18 months or so.

Hmm? Nah, Privateer Press has been knocking it out of the park for pretty much all of 2017. It was a combination of a) too much Total War: Warhammer making me nostalgic, b) me watching 40k go absolutely batshit insane with all the obviously broken nonsense in that game which, c) made Age of Sigmar look pretty tame and reasonable in comparison.

Plus I started pricing armies out and realized how ridiculously cheap it can be to build decent lists with a bunch of the start collecting boxes and their associated expansion boxes. I still think the premise of the Age of Sigmar storyline is pretty dumb, but dumb in a ridiculous space-faring D&D session kind of way, so it kind of rolls back over into being cool again now that they've started fleshing out the back story.

Plus, it just plays differently than WMH/Infinity, which are my usual go-to games, but the way abilities tend to stack/combo together is very reminiscent of WMH to me, which is something I enjoy.

e: and holy poo poo, Age of Sigmar armies seem to have way less models to paint than a 40k army anyways. Like holy poo poo, it's like completely flipped on it's head from when I used to play 40k where fantasy armies just had colossal numbers of minis in them compared to 40k much of the time. And if I'm being honest I feel comfortable supporting a game line that they have done a good amount of work making better since it's initial disastrous release.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

S.J. posted:

e: and holy poo poo, Age of Sigmar armies seem to have way less models to paint than a 40k army anyways. Like holy poo poo, it's like completely flipped on it's head from when I used to play 40k where fantasy armies just had colossal numbers of minis in them compared to 40k much of the time. And if I'm being honest I feel comfortable supporting a game line that they have done a good amount of work making better since it's initial disastrous release.

My AoS savage orc army has fewer models than my 40k CSM army. It's loving weird, and I love it. 1k AoS games is almost exactly the scale of my ideal wargame.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Ive come over to AoS from Warmachine. To be perfectly honest I just find it much more relaxing and dare I say fun.it doesn’t make my brain hurt in the same way

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah and I'm gonna be honest I don't have to give a poo poo about any game but in AoS it's probably just gonna be me and a few buds loving around while drinking beer and knowing that he (or I) isn't gonna be able to accidentally create a completely bullshit fuckpile of artillery ala 40k is kind of appealing to me

I like to play games competitively but that doesn't mean I'm going to approach every game that way, and AoS doesn't have the intricacies that WMH does so that helps quite a bit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Well we only got a look at one of their abilities.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I also came over to AoS from WMH. PP can write good rules but I had a lot of trouble keeping track of everything going on during games. I came to minis from Magic and thought I would want a similarly competitive game, but turns out I just want to push dragons and skeletons around 6x4 tables with pretty terrain.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ain't nothing wrong with that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I came to AoS from 40k, looking for something a little less full-on and "go big or go home".

AoS is like 40k sparring. The lack of hardcore competitive scene has meant AoS is low-impact and far more about just fun stupidity.

Plus I prefer the models in AoS. Less giant auto-win models.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Are the Sigmarine Angel guys as much of a nightmare to transport as I imagine they are?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Are the Sigmarine Angel guys as much of a nightmare to transport as I imagine they are?

As someone with four of those bastards, yes. Store them separately and carefully otherwise you will hate your life.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

my portents are malign as heck.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress drat, them spookers.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
The only really busted thing I can think of in AOS that is a big problem currently is the Balewind Vortex.

Like 2/3's of the top 25 armies at LVO had one

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New story.

https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-toil/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/02/legion-night-bloodseeker-palanquingw-homepage-post-2/

Deepstrike 3 units of any kind. Nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I had a feeling I would like how Mannfred did things. Skeletons and Vargheists seem like good units to grab as advertised.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I had a feeling I would like how Mannfred did things. Skeletons and Vargheists seem like good units to grab as advertised.

I wonder if Grave Guard are 'Skeletons' in this case. Not sure if it's a keyword or a the unit name. 4+ Grave Guard or 3+ against 'Rend -' would be a nice anvil.

edit: Oh it's Deathrattle so yeah. That's awsome

TKIY fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 2, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hate that I love Vampires, and the Strigoi in particular. I assume they won't get much if anything because they already have a book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I hate that I love Vampires, and the Strigoi in particular. I assume they won't get much if anything because they already have a book.

You should be able to take Strigoi uinits here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How do you make a Bloodseeker Palanquin out of the Mortis Engine kit?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

How do you make a Bloodseeker Palanquin out of the Mortis Engine kit?

Who knows. They will probably show us eventually.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should be able to take Strigoi uinits here.

Think they said on the Facebook that the FEC models aren't in the book. Which clashes with the "all Death models" thing so maybe there's a miscommunication somewhere but who knows?

I kind of hope they can be taken though, mostly just cause I have a FEC force and I'd rather have a springboard to add other models too if I want to go broader Death.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Think they said on the Facebook that the FEC models aren't in the book. Which clashes with the "all Death models" thing so maybe there's a miscommunication somewhere but who knows?

I kind of hope they can be taken though, mostly just cause I have a FEC force and I'd rather have a springboard to add other models too if I want to go broader Death.

Makes sense. FEC aren't dead and Nagash explicitly has no power over them, big part of why he's so perturbed by them. They're loyal, but he can't assume direct control.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm pretty disappointed that all four of those new malign portents heroes are $35 each. I really wanted to paint a couple of them but it tough to justify that cost.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Booyah- posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that all four of those new malign portents heroes are $35 each. I really wanted to paint a couple of them but it tough to justify that cost.

Yeah unless they do something major they don't justify it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From some Hearsay (So rumors.) A GW employee who got some training for the upcoming Maligned Portents book says "the changes in the upcoming Malign Portents book will basically turn it into AoS 2nd edition."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

People said that about generals handbook 2016 though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

People said that about generals handbook 2016 though.

Well it did.

So I guess this would be more 3e, but I can understand calling it 2e as Age of Sigmar was barely a game before the Generals Handbook came.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booyah- posted:

sorry but that pricing scheme is gonna be the new normal going forward

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We're complaining about $35 models now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

We're complaining about $35 models now?

Did we ever stop?