Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Oh god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
this has to be violating several turf war rules. i demand to hear Judd's ruling on allowing weapons of mass destruction to be used in these games!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marina, no.

Please.

THEY'RE ONLY KIDS! :stonk:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

this has to be violating several turf war rules. i demand to hear Judd's ruling on allowing weapons of mass destruction to be used in these games!

They're legal in Octo Valley.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I see...

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Everyone on your team is going to fight over these and that is why you'll lose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never considered it before, but does firing those fill your special meter?

In single player, I mean, since that's our only point of reference.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The Bloop posted:

I've never considered it before, but does firing those fill your special meter?

In single player, I mean, since that's our only point of reference.

Single player doesn't have special meter either. Specials are items you pick up there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Marina you've completely lost your mind

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

oh hey look Tenta Missiles will be more useful than usual :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chargers are probably going to have a field day on this map if the entire cannon becomes the Inkling's hitbox, like in Salmon Run.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

:unsmigghh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sam Faust posted:

Single player doesn't have special meter either. Specials are items you pick up there.

oh yeah, wow that was a heck of a brain fart

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm ready to start grinding for perfected gear. Is there a guide out there for what exactly abilities do in Splatoon 2? Or tips for which abilities to generally aim for?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:stare:

wha... what is this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

:stare:

wha... what is this

A bigass cannon in the next Slatfest shifty station, apparently.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh gently caress Yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm ready to start grinding for perfected gear. Is there a guide out there for what exactly abilities do in Splatoon 2? Or tips for which abilities to generally aim for?

The wiki (https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page) does a good job per ability page breaking down the exact math that each ability changes, along with breakdowns on the effect of stacking. In terms of grinding this page:

https://rankedboost.com/splatoon-2/abilities/

is a great reference tool for brands to look for when grinding chunks. If, for example, you want a bunch of Swim Speed Up chunks (you will), find 3 pieces of Krak On Level 1 gear, use shells to expand their slots to 3, and then drink a swim speed up shake and pray. Rinse and repeat until necessary, with all the subs you want.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

The wiki (https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page) does a good job per ability page breaking down the exact math that each ability changes, along with breakdowns on the effect of stacking. In terms of grinding this page:

https://rankedboost.com/splatoon-2/abilities/

is a great reference tool for brands to look for when grinding chunks. If, for example, you want a bunch of Swim Speed Up chunks (you will), find 3 pieces of Krak On Level 1 gear, use shells to expand their slots to 3, and then drink a swim speed up shake and pray. Rinse and repeat until necessary, with all the subs you want.

I thought the drinks just change the "common ability" for your gear, so using one on gear that already has Swim Speed Up as common ability would be useless?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

raditts posted:

I thought the drinks just change the "common ability" for your gear, so using one on gear that already has Swim Speed Up as common ability would be useless?

This was said for a while but recently disproven iirc. It actually makes it even more likely

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

In Training posted:

This was said for a while but recently disproven iirc. It actually makes it even more likely

would love to see some deets on this, as somebody who is interested in getting SERIOUS about gear in my childrens shooter game, and has never drank any of my collected boost dranks

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is this game as good as BOTW?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Well, I only played BOTW for maybe a month or so after finishing the main quest, and I still play this regularly after like 7 months, so yeah I'd say it's up there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

would love to see some deets on this, as somebody who is interested in getting SERIOUS about gear in my childrens shooter game, and has never drank any of my collected boost dranks

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the true effect of drink tickets finally got datamined. Basically when a gear levels up, if the ability in question doesn't match the drink ticket's ability, it gets rerolled once to give you another chance at that ability. Otherwise the ability is left alone.

Chances to roll for a particular ability are the same as in Splatoon 1. (1/14 for each ability on a neutral brand, 2/7 for favored abilities, 1/35 for unfavored abilities, and 2/35 for all other abilities.)

So the chances for getting a specific ability are as follows:

quote:

Neutral Gear: 7.14% with no ticket. 13.78% with a ticket active, making for a 6.64% increase.
Favored Brand: 28.57% with no ticket. 48.98% with a ticket active, making for a 20.41% increase.
Unfavored Brand: 2.86% with no ticket. 5.63% with a ticket active, making for a 2.77% increase.
Else: 5.71% with no ticket. 11.10% with a ticket active, making for a 5.39% increase.

So yes, you should be stacking drink tickets with the matching brand if you want to go chunk farming. Or go for the abilities you want.

:cheers:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It turns out that wasn't actually the full effect, that was only part of it. There's another mystery condition needed to trigger the reroll (leveling up multiple pieces of gear at the same time might have something to do with it, apparently?) Those statistics only cover the best case scenario, which is when the reroll triggers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh...well, it may not be a 20% increase but then it's still worth using the drinks on favorable brands anyway then, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh...well, it may not be a 20% increase but then it's still worth using the drinks on favorable brands anyway then, right?

From what I can tell, it's generally worth using drinks anyway. Not much to lose aside from the ticket. Though yes, the best results probably come from matching the brand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrowana changes are some of the most substantial I've seen in the Splatoon 1 -> 2 additions and they're great!! It's a very fun map, but trying to learn new maps in Clam Blitz is a nightmare!!!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

In Training posted:

Marina you've completely lost your mind

And I can't wait to see what she springs on us next.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And I can't wait to see what she springs on us next.

You say this, and then she sics Industrial Squee Gees on everyone.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

You say this, and then she sics Industrial Squee Gees on everyone.

I'm the guy who wants her to add Maws to shifty station.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
New Splatfest for the Euros.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blank Construct posted:

This has to be fake. No splatfest would run for 30 days straight.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Blank Construct posted:

in america it's the same but with tidepods

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it is not as good as rlm's best of the worst, sorry.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
day/month/year vs month/day/year splatfest...

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Mutant Standard posted:

in america it's the same but with tidepods

Tidepods on burgers or pickles on tidepods?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Once again, Marina is extremely correct and will lose as a result.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gherkins sounds as disgusting as pickles taste.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• JP Champion vs. Challenger @ February 2nd 15:00 JT :siren: IN PROGRESS
  • EU Gherk-OUT vs. Gherk-IN @ February 10th 15:00 CET

Europe gets to decide if they want to eat burgers with or without something that brings the real flavor out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

:nallears:

I guess next time we'll get to vote on whether a glass of water tastes better at room temperature or cold, or something riveting like that.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 3, 2018