Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

so what does Apple host their internal directory servers and stuff on?

the last good Mac Pro?

years ago they were a sun shop. i assume they are probably still running on the sun directory server, because it would be hard to migrate off of it -- nothing else supports that kind of query load / account number

sun ds and redhat ds are both forks of the old time netscape ds

i assume by now they have migrated their directory server to run on linux, even if they are still using sun/rh/netscape ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

the $500 mini they sell is literally unusable out of the box

yeah it comes w/ osx preinstalled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rex-Goliath posted:

yo this ios messages ordering bug is starting to kiss me off

it was listed as fixed in 11.2.5

(ron howard narrator voice): it wasn't

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

some of it is macs, some Linux. no idea what the hardware is. it was xserves for a loooooong time after they stopped making them.

lol if apple isn't dog fooding anymore

microsoft even somehow uses sharepoint internally

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft hates itself

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

lol if apple isn't dog fooding anymore

microsoft even somehow uses sharepoint internally

osx server is for small serving tasks, it’s hardly enterprise grade. Apple has 100,000 employees.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

microsoft hates itself

the bedlam dl3/me too thing is my favorite story
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2004/04/08/me-too/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

i hope so. my first round of stock vests in 2 weeks

holy moly time flies

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

infernal machines posted:

it was listed as fixed in 11.2.5

(ron howard narrator voice): it wasn't

yeah apparently doing a hard reset fixes it for a bit but holy poo poo if we’re at andoird ‘reset your phone every week’ then fuuuuck that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*cheesgraters pro

thank you

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

years ago they were a sun shop. i assume they are probably still running on the sun directory server, because it would be hard to migrate off of it

loving lol if apple was running yb, jesus christ

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

they tried that with xserves. nobody bought them. but more importantly, there’s nobody working on optimizing macOS for server workloads and that’s why [long list of internal systems] are terrible.

i don’t want a goddamned million-core beast server like it’s 1998, and i don’t care about optimizing for response latency. i want an easily-maintainable server farm full of cheap buildslaves that can be legally licensed to run macos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this is exactly why that group has its head up its rear end, we have literally millions of developers who want to buy big beefy laptops and high-specced desktops and a ton of interchangeable machines to feed the insatiable needs of their distributed build/ci systems, and meanwhile they’re making low-spec dual-gpu toys for media professionals who were never that big of a market and mostly left the platform years ago and who care deeply about peripherals that they can’t hook up to their macs anymore

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
for the last like 2 or 3 years the main reason to pay for macOS server was to enable the Caching Server so that when there was an iOS release all the apple devices on your network would be transparently redirected to your local server instead of melting your WAN connection. They rolled it into the stock install of High Sierra and made improvements so it's a lot easier to define parent/child caching server arrangements. The announcement that they're deprecating the stuff that implies that they're probably going to improve the existing MDM service to the point where small-ish shops no longer need to shell out for JAMF just so they can push out email server settings and force employees to enable the passcode on their phones (honestly probably the right move since I'd rather the QA team focus all their resources on that than have 1 guy be responsible part-time for maintaining the VPN service that nobody uses)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

rjmccall posted:

this is exactly why that group has its head up its rear end, we have literally millions of developers who want to buy big beefy laptops and high-specced desktops and a ton of interchangeable machines to feed the insatiable needs of their distributed build/ci systems, and meanwhile they’re making low-spec dual-gpu toys for media professionals who were never that big of a market and mostly left the platform years ago and who care deeply about peripherals that they can’t hook up to their macs anymore

per friends who are PMs at various companies running their mobile/app programs:
A shocking amount of MacStadium's business is just companies who outsource their iOS development, but want to have the build server run/managed in-house because they don't trust the contractor to not have their dev machines overrun with MacKeeper installs and/or their programmers don't have macs to begin with and are just submitting to a git repo and hitting 'build'

It would not surprise me if the next product to get the T2 security chip business is the Mac Mini so that you can sign builds with keys stored in your Secure Element, and so that they can further harden the iPhone production lines against MSS trying to drop a payload into the stations on the lines.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

this is exactly right. for a long time the lesson they took away from this was “people prefer iMacs”, which was because all of the other options are garbage for developers. I think they figured it out now, but we shall see.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Imagine if the 2018 mac pro is just a custom ATX motherboard

What would it take to make that happen?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

the market for osx build machines is way, way smaller than that prosumer market.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

according to an outraged reddit post, the iPhone X's screen PWMs at 240Hz

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DuckConference posted:

according to an outraged reddit post, the iPhone X's screen PWMs at 240Hz

loving garbage

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

according to the DOE, possible effects of flicker of that frequency and magnitude include:

quote:

• Neurological problems, including epileptic seizure
• Headaches, fatigue, blurred vision, eyestrain
• Migraines
• Reduced visual task performance
Increased autistic behaviors, especially in children
• Apparent slowing or stopping of motion (stroboscopic effect)
• Distraction

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

if you couldn't get enough of the Touchy Bar:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/03/hands-on-keymand-11-brings-touch-screen-options-to-your-mac-from-a-connected-ipad

Turn your iPad into a giant goddamn Touch Bar

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cis autodrag posted:

i hope so. my first round of stock vests in 2 weeks

lol psyche! earnings dont actually matter welcome to the 2018 bear market

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
appl is apparently tumbling down

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the market for osx build machines is way, way smaller than that prosumer market.

you don’t need specs to appeal to the prosumer market

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you need higher specs than your normal offerings which for apple is pretty easy. they sell a minor upgrade to 5 year old hardware as a prosumer machine for big profits.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

loving lol if apple was running yb, jesus christ

not yp, sun ds

aka sun one ds aka sun java ds aka whatever the gently caress

ldap not nis

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

r u ready to WALK posted:

Imagine if the 2018 mac pro is just a custom ATX motherboard

What would it take to make that happen?

an apple bankruptcy and fire sale

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
im thinking they're probably going to put that Vega/intel chip in the new Mac mini

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

im thinking they're probably going to put that Vega/intel chip in the new Mac mini

i hope we get an mbp with it. hopefully it's also, idk, "macbook classic" and we also get the functional row back with decent ports and poo poo, but im not holding my breath

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should make a powerful macbook

a powerbook, if you will

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i hope we get an mbp with it. hopefully it's also, idk, "macbook classic" and we also get the functional row back with decent ports and poo poo, but im not holding my breath

macbook SE, lol.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

yeah, first thought seeing that rather surprising integration was that it was something apple pushed to have happen

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

prosumer market is all iMacs and MacBooks pro

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm just saying you don't need to specifically design hardware for prosumers, you just need a range of specs so they can buy the better ones. also they're not probably buying like mac minis in appreciable numbers anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i assume nobody is buying mac minis in appreciable numbers

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

which is too bad, because they used to be a great little computer. still love my 2012 mini.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maximum Leader posted:

it would be grossly irresponsible to use intel chips in any new product designs until they can 100% weed out the meltdown/spectre defects

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just throw in some a' them zilog z80s and overclock em

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you'd think it would be cheaper than buying a ton of macbook airs when they're all going in a rack anyway. I mean for testing.

For your office crowd it makes sense to by macbooks instead since you can take them to meetings and use them for ... facebook and shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

this would be good because intel graphics are poo poo