Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Part of me knows that, but for some reason I still want the BGE because I’m dumb like that I guess. :shrug:

Also my dad wants a BGE and apparently wanted one before I even said anything to him about it, so there’s that too.

This is why I’m trying to convince my dad to get the XLarge. I might have to meet him halfway and tell him I’ll pay for part of it if he buys the XLarge instead of the Large. Only problem is that plan requires me to have money of my own, which I don’t. :(

The large will do a full brisket or multiple shoulders or 99% of what most people do. It probably will feel constricting if you're trying to do a shitload of ribs or a bunch of different meats for a big get together or something though, which is where the XL shines.

Just get the XXL and rent a crane to hoist that bastard into the backyard.

For the lamest voyeurs ever, you can watch a live chart of the shoulder I'm smoking right now:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/189494

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

veiled boner fuel posted:

The large will do a full brisket or multiple shoulders or 99% of what most people do. It probably will feel constricting if you're trying to do a shitload of ribs or a bunch of different meats for a big get together or something though, which is where the XL shines.

Just get the XXL and rent a crane to hoist that bastard into the backyard.

For the lamest voyeurs ever, you can watch a live chart of the shoulder I'm smoking right now:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/189494

I keep checking back to see how your cook is going, living vicariously through you as half my family has the flu and so the brisket i was plannng on for today got nixed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can probably get 2 of these for the price of the XL

https://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/pit-boss-18-457cm-kamado-grill-ceramic-bbq-in-black-1142591

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I smoked a side of salmon this weekend (sorry, no pictures). I used Alton Brown's recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe-1938429) and bought a side of steelhead with skin on from costco. I cured it for 12 hours instead of 24 (probably better since the fish turned out pretty salty - would suggest only curing for 12 hours and/or reducing salt in cure by half) and smoked for 5 hours at 160 degrees using pecan chips in my masterbuilt electric smoker. It was good when it came out but better after I cooled it down in the fridge overnight. Also would recommend getting fish with the skin on since that's where most of the delicious fat lives.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm doing a turkey this weekend and wanted to revisit it before I start. Last time I did it on high heat in my WSM. Maintained temps at around 325 but still ended up with rubbery skin which kind of just slid off as soon as I took it off so I wasn't able to even try to crisp it up. I'm looking for ways to maintain a crispy skin (which I'm aware is often impossible on a smoker). For oven roasted poultry I've tried adding baking powder to the rub with really good success, has anyone done this for poultry on a smoker? Any other good tips?

If it helps, technically I'm smoking half a bird, with the other half just roasting in the oven. Cook time will be significantly shorter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I personally cannot recommend highly enough just the good old Disney style smoked turkey leg as the best and easiest way to achieve smoked turkey.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm doing a turkey this weekend and wanted to revisit it before I start. Last time I did it on high heat in my WSM. Maintained temps at around 325 but still ended up with rubbery skin which kind of just slid off as soon as I took it off so I wasn't able to even try to crisp it up. I'm looking for ways to maintain a crispy skin (which I'm aware is often impossible on a smoker). For oven roasted poultry I've tried adding baking powder to the rub with really good success, has anyone done this for poultry on a smoker? Any other good tips?

If it helps, technically I'm smoking half a bird, with the other half just roasting in the oven. Cook time will be significantly shorter.

The closest I've gotten to a crispy skin on a WSM smoked bird was by finishing it in the oven, even when using lump and getting temps around 350. I've done a turkey in my offset smoker before and had decent results by keeping the bird close to the firebox and rotating it midway through, but since the heat is below in a WSM you don't really have that option.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What are you guys smoking for the superbowl? I typically make wings and pulled pork nachos but I'm looking for some fun new recipes to try.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Probably going to take the lazy route and throw in a smoked fatty or two.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I haven't used my PBC in months so I"m gonna fire that ol bastard up and do a pork shoulder.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Gonna smoke some sausages

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Ribs. ribs. ribs. ribsribsribs. Ribs. ribs. ribs. Look at the size of this rack of spareribs! Smoked these yesterday and some rib tip that I had left over from making another dish that I wanted St Louis style last month. The rack was over 5lbs! That is one generous pig.

Smoke 'em up! They just barely fit on the egg.

Just 6 short hours later... a little smaller due to shrinkage and also I cut off and ate the end bits when they were done.

Roll that beautiful rib footage!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks great. What is your temp monitor? Looks like a Heatermeter but only one button.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looks great. What is your temp monitor? Looks like a Heatermeter but only one button.
Thanks! I get nervous posting photos because I see so much really great BBQ in this thread I get a little self conscious wondering if mine can make people as hungry as their photos make me. I think these came out great and will keep me fed for a week.

The controller is a HeaterMeter 4.2, which has a 4-way switch instead of 4 individual buttons. Both my 4.3s (one thermistor / one thermocouple) don't have cases because I'm always switching them between Pis and pulling SD cards out of them so they rarely get used for actual eating.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CapnBry posted:

Thanks! I get nervous posting photos because I see so much really great BBQ in this thread I get a little self conscious wondering if mine can make people as hungry as their photos make me. I think these came out great and will keep me fed for a week.

The controller is a HeaterMeter 4.2, which has a 4-way switch instead of 4 individual buttons. Both my 4.3s (one thermistor / one thermocouple) don't have cases because I'm always switching them between Pis and pulling SD cards out of them so they rarely get used for actual eating.

It's because most pictures don't really capture how amazing this poo poo tastes.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I wish I had the knowledge and patience to build a Heatermeter

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A couple pics from the shoulder last weekend. Half got eaten as is and the remaining half got made into chili verde.

I think the Flame Boss reads a lower grate temp than I'm used to. Possibly because it's an alligator clip that clips to the grate vs a separate clip that holds the probe ~1 inch above the grate. I think next time I'll try 240 or 250 instead of 225 because I don't think you need to take 18 hours to cook a 7.5 pound shoulder.

There's the final though. The vertical jog 1/5th of the way in I think is a loss of wifi, which is not surprising with my shitbag router.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 2, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RisqueBarber posted:

What are you guys smoking for the superbowl? I typically make wings and pulled pork nachos but I'm looking for some fun new recipes to try.

To me the wings are key. If you've got amazing wings then nothing else matters. That said I'm planning on doing a brisket and a shitload of fried wings.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

To me the wings are key. If you've got amazing wings then nothing else matters. That said I'm planning on doing a brisket and a shitload of fried wings.

I've been lurking in this thread for a bit, and popping in to say yes. Wings are essential to Super Bowl.

I've got a concern, though.

I only recently got a smoker, just a small, inexpensive Masterbuilt and would love to smoke wings for Sunday, but I'm worried the skin won't be crisp.

The party is at my friends, about a ten minute drive from my place. My plan is to brine wings overnight, then the morning of, take them out, pat dry, and put them back in fridge uncovered to dry out for a few hours.

Take them out a couple hours before heading over, put a nice rub on them, get the smoker going to about 250 F, put some pecan chips in there, and smoke the wings for about 2 hours. Transport to my friend's place, and once there, crank their oven to like 425 or 450 and put the wings in for maybe ten to fifteen minutes to REALLY dry out that skin and get them crispy.

I've done oven wings before (usually using Alton Brown's method of steaming first to render out fat so that the skin can get crispier AND not fill the kitchen with smoke) so I figure smoking beforehand will serve some of that same purpose of steaming to render out fat so I can oven cook them nice and high without fear of burning anything?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That is exactly what I would do. They'll be awesome.

Bonus points if your friend's oven is convection.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for a bit, and popping in to say yes. Wings are essential to Super Bowl.

I only recently got a smoker, just a small, inexpensive Masterbuilt and would love to smoke wings for Sunday, but I'm worried the skin won't be crisp.

The party is at my friends, about a ten minute drive from my place. My plan is to brine wings overnight, then the morning of, take them out, pat dry, and put them back in fridge uncovered to dry out for a few hours.

Take them out a couple hours before heading over, put a nice rub on them, get the smoker going to about 250 F, put some pecan chips in there, and smoke the wings for about 2 hours. Transport to my friend's place, and once there, crank their oven to like 425 or 450 and put the wings in for maybe ten to fifteen minutes to REALLY dry out that skin and get them crispy.

I've done oven wings before (usually using Alton Brown's method of steaming first to render out fat so that the skin can get crispier AND not fill the kitchen with smoke) so I figure smoking beforehand will serve some of that same purpose of steaming to render out fat so I can oven cook them nice and high without fear of burning anything?

That sounds like it'd be awesome but I've never done it so I can't say for sure. Will love to hear a trip report on it.

I just fry the poo poo out of em using (more or less) the America's Test Kitchen recipe.

To me the only question would be finishing them via baking vs frying because starting them via smoking is definitely gonna be better.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doom Rooster posted:

That is exactly what I would do. They'll be awesome.

Bonus points if your friend's oven is convection.

Yeah I'd say convection would definitely be better than non.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide, 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds magical.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bottom Liner posted:

2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide, 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

That’s pretty alchemical. What temp did you sound vide at?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bottom Liner posted:

Perfecto!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That’s pretty alchemical. What temp did you sound vide at?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've not done this yet for smoked wings but adding baking powder and salt dry brine for 12 hours beforehand and air dried in the fridge has made for super crispy skin when baked in the oven. I imagine it'd work similarly for the smoker.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah buddy! I need to get in on the smoke/sous vide combo here soon...chuck seems like a good place to start.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got the PBC fired up and humming along at 270 steady as a rock with a 7lb pork butt in there. Currently 127 internal.

Had to fight with lighting the charcoal because it was snowing like a sonuvabitch earlier, but all is well now.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Got the PBC fired up and humming along at 270 steady as a rock with a 7lb pork butt in there. Currently 127 internal.

Had to fight with lighting the charcoal because it was snowing like a sonuvabitch earlier, but all is well now.

My PBC pulled pork. Just hit the stall at 156

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Doing some sausages today

The ones in the front and left of the top rack, the front of the middle rack, and the whole bottom rack are courtesy of ada shatan who made some baller looking garlic sausages.

They went on at 12:30 @ 225 and are at around 160 on the top rack already. I'm just about to check them, rotate them around, and maybe add some more wood in a few minutes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Gonna need picks if of that stuff when it's done, duder

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I just rotated them. They're all between 150-160 so it shouldn't be long now.

The funny thing I've noticed about sausages is that a probe thermometer like the one on my Maverick does a pretty bad job at picking up consistent temps.

It makes sense given the length of the probe and how thin sausages are that it's more likely you'd get close to the skin or find a fat pocket. Just makes it tough to get an accurate temp without sticking them with an instant read.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

Definitely gonna try this.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Finished product

And the money shot

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Definitely gonna try this.
I think that be in all of our futures-- it looks amazing.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

some pictures from yesterday:

From top to bottom: Cajun, Nashville Hot, Miso, Buffalo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Why aren't you smoking the queso???

Looks good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003