Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean it's a comedy TV show about like the power of friendship and community, there's no internal logic rules that they have to follow other than the ones they lay out explicitly, and they can even break those sometimes!

All we know about the good place is that there are good place villages that are maintained by Janets, and designed by good place equivalents of whatever Michael is, the people writing the show probably don't really know exactly what the good place is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dante had a similar problem.

Spoiler alert: there’s a reason everyone remembers the inferno and not the part where he goes to heaven.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You fat dink.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mulva posted:

Because they are all powerful, and "Don't let them be bored" is effectively the end of it. That's what omnipotent means, all powerful. Not "really powerful but they've done this a bunch and now they are tired, well poo poo guess there is nothing I can do about that". If it helps you get your brain around it, they magic them. They magic them all up in the face and it just works.

Janets are not all-powerful... if they were, the entire problem of the show would be solved by asking them to make the system more fair. Or by asking Janet to take them to The Good Place. They clearly do not have such powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay look, here's how people in the good place would be entertained: Based on the number of people who die everyday, if even a tenth are deemed good, that's over a million new faces each day. You'd never stop meeting new people with interesting life stories, and you'd never stop getting to experience new things/games/whatever that mankind has been up to since your passing (before you bring up that there's no technology like phones or a lot of niceties in the good place, remember that we only know that based on facts presented in a fake Good Place).

But hey, don't bother concerning yourself with all that. As we've already learned from the "800 resets yet the Girls Gone Wild guy isn't dead yet" fact a few episodes ago, time in the afterlife is pretty fluid. You'd probably never get bored because you'd never really realize how much or how little time had gone on.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 3, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Good Places are organized in to neighborhoods like Bad Places by the sounds of it, so that you'd have an upper limit on the residents in any one place. Plus, it'd probably be more like 1 in a million gets in, not 1 in 10. At the end of the day though, I was never saying this is logically how it must or should be incorporated in to the show and they will almost certainly not incorporate it; just that if they wanted dysfunctional bad places boredom was a possible path to having them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

tsob posted:

Either the all powerful wizards constantly gently caress with their minds to remove or cover a part of them, which is itself not good

Maybe it's the Good Place version of removing an appendix that's about to burst. Something useless that can only hurt you that you'll never notice when it's gone. From what you've said it's just this horrific thing that will cause them nothing but heartache in the long run, and their existence is all long run at this point. I can't see a use for it.

thexerox123 posted:

Janets are not all-powerful... if they were, the entire problem of the show would be solved by asking them to make the system more fair. Or by asking Janet to take them to The Good Place. They clearly do not have such powers.

Janet doesn't do the mind work on the crew, Michael does. And his job doesn't involve being particularly concerned with their mental well being.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mulva posted:

Janet doesn't do the mind work on the crew, Michael does. And his job doesn't involve being particularly concerned with their mental well being.

Michael clearly isn't omnipotent, either.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Everything is busted so they tear down the whole system and create a new good place that looks exactly like an ancient earth. As they go forward to begin paradise anew, Janet, who along with Michael now seem to be unnoticed by the rest of the cast, cryptically says to him that “All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.”

End

😂

But please no, I can’t handle that as the ending to second show that I love. Especially not if there’s a super cringeworthy montage of robots “evolving”.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mulva posted:

Maybe it's the Good Place version of removing an appendix that's about to burst. Something useless that can only hurt you that you'll never notice when it's gone. From what you've said it's just this horrific thing that will cause them nothing but heartache in the long run, and their existence is all long run at this point. I can't see a use for it.

Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle Superman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that basically a textbook definition of how consequentialism can lead to justifying horrific acts?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So Season Three starts next week, right?

:-(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If they were capable of just putting emotions in people's heads then the Bad Place demons would never have to worry about torture not working. They would just flip the "X feels anguish" mental switch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Everything is busted so they tear down the whole system and create a new good place that looks exactly like an ancient earth. As they go forward to begin paradise anew, Janet, who along with Michael now seem to be unnoticed by the rest of the cast, cryptically says to him that “All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.”

End

Just as good the second time around.

:colbert:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Was I the only one that caught this?

I did, but I figured that was the joke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Klungar posted:

I did, but I figured that was the joke.

It was, I was tempted to post sensible_chuckle.gif but I didn't

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mulva posted:

Why is it lovely if it doesn't hurt anyone? Why is it lovely if there are no negative consequences?

Because consequences are not the only thing that matters. You can't judge a person's moral worth solely on the outcomes of their acts. Recall Tahani's moral epiphany on why she deserved to be in the bad place. She had done tremendous good for the world her entire life; but she had done it for bad, selfish reasons.

What you are proposing is an entire life lived for nothing but selfish reasons of shallow, immediate personal gratification. That is pretty clearly not the road towards being a good person.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally got caught up on this show. It's incredible.

I can't wait for even better Blake Bortles jokes next season after the Jaguars success this year.

Edit: seriously this show is incredible, I hope some of the cast/writers win some awards.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 3, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I want Jason's self-improvement to be tied to the Jaguars performance. The further into the playoffs they are, the better he is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Speaking of Bortles, despite common wisdom, the Jags have already named Blake Bortles as the starter for next year.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tsob posted:

They can be all powerful; that does not mean their wards are. Or that "you're not bored anymore" is not basically casting a spell of mental manipulation. Something the show has already demonstrated the cast realize and move on from increasingly quickly. Either the all powerful wizards constantly gently caress with their minds to remove or cover a part of them, which is itself not good, or they grow bored. Magic whammy up in their face doesn't change that. I'm not even saying the show will deal with this by the way; only that if the writers wanted the Good Place to be less than perfect, then boredom is a possible avenue towards achieving it and there's plenty of reason to believe that boredom is possible in the Good Place, and that it can drive people towards bad behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzRzHwHGKs

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Are they on earth or a simulation of earth?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think the season should have ended one episode earlier. That would have been a good cliffhanger moment and this episode would have made a good start to season 3.

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know why you were "disappointed" then, because it's not American TV's fault that an Australian doesn't know who American TV actors are.
Because the idea of it being someone famous and unexpected was tantalising and it didn't turn out to be anyone I recognised. Do you not understand what disappointment is? Also, what do you think Australians watch on TV?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

People who say a show "used to be funny" also sometimes yell at kids to get off their lawn, and also have stories about, when they were your age, walking uphill both ways in the snow to, I don't know, play with a hoop and stick or a cup and ball. Music has also remained bad since just after the time they went to college/university or thereabouts.

Are they that out of touch?

No. No, it's the children who are wrong.
In a discussion about how the Simpsons used to be good and isn't any more, there's always someone who'll chime in to say they still watch it and it's still good now. Usually they say it's "just different now, more like South Park". I have literally never heard any defence of SNL more enthusiastic than "it was probably always mostly poo poo, it's just rose-tinted glasses to think it used to be good".

I’ll say 4 episodes. One for everyone else and then one to wrap it up.
Eleanor's wasn't even a full episode, I doubt the others are getting one each. One for Chidi and Tahani, and one for Jason and the whole group getting back together.

Mulva posted:

There's no downside to drug abuse or gluttony or making a bunch of imaginary people to brutally torture for that matter. They live in a post-morality existence. Perhaps a Bad Place person can find a way to be Good, but there isn't really any easy to imagine outlet for a Good Place person to be bad.
As long as they're able to interact with other people, their actions can still affect those other people. And it's not even boredom that would be the biggest issue, IMO. These people have spent their entire lives being good, not for the sake of reward but because good is what they want to be. And now they have no way of being good. There's no one there who needs help. They could magic up some fake people who need help, but that's not real and it's not going to offer any real satisfaction or fulfilment. In a perfect world, how do you cater to people who only want to do good?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Michael in his case to the judge clearly states that humans aren't supposed to change their nature after they die. Since the system is built so only the most altruistic and selfless people (are supposed to) go to the good place, then once they get there they would continue to act according to their kind and helpful nature. So the system as intended would mean that no, they wouldn't devolve into hedonism or sadism because that's against their nature and supposedly a person doesn't change after they die.

the question is whether Eleanor and co are the first to go against their nature or not.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 3, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The bureaucratic nature of the Places seems like people could change and their overseers would just not notice or care honestly, because whatever they're doing must be the intended way to be and their overseers are more concerned about their own jobs and not about their wards. Michael only noticed because it was interfering with his plans to reform the entire system, and only cared because of the gang's interference.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 3, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that he’s even wearing a similar shirt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

double nine posted:

Michael in his case to the judge clearly states that humans aren't supposed to change their nature after they die. Since the system is built so only the most altruistic and selfless people (are supposed to) go to the good place, then once they get there they would continue to act according to their kind and helpful nature. So the system as intended would mean that no, they wouldn't devolve into hedonism or sadism because that's against their nature and supposedly a person doesn't change after they die.

the question is whether Eleanor and co are the first to go against their nature or not.

And the people in the Bad Place can't change because, you know, the constant torture.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"The Good Place must be Good since it says so on the tin!" is an interesting take on the concept. I'm personally rooting for something like the Good Place in Heinlein's Job, but I suppose it'd be a bit cliche compared to demons reaching into a person's mouth to grab their anus and turning them inside out :ohdear:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
:allears:

Hot diggity dog, this show. It's fast creeping up the list towards not just being the best show on air (richly deserved #1 TVIV poll spot), but one of my favorite shows EVER. There was something incredibly moving about Eleanor finding Chidi again. I kinda teared up.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I'm sure someone else brought this up, but I think I realized how they'll get around the plot hole with Chidi speaking English.

They're still in the afterlife, this is just another test for them. I have no idea what the test is exactly, but this makes more sense given them going back to Earth would require reversing the entirety of time since all four died (and they didn't die at the same time either!).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
In the same conversation where Chidi says he's speaking French, he also says his work took him all over the world. I think we can safely assume that Chidi knows English.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

We've seen him speaking English to his Australian friend with the boots before, and it was with his usual accent.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
At the end of season 2 I'm excited to see where all the plotlines go, but as a big fan of Person of Interest it's nice to see another show sneak in a thread about super-intelligent A.I. (not an A.I.) exceeding it's constraints. "I had to learn how to do a lot of bad things really quickly, so I did" sent a quick chill up my spine.

Also, my apologies for not digging back to find the original posts, but for whoever was going over the sauce flavors on Eleanor's shrimp machine and couldn't identify the flavor that appeared to be a woman in red on a green background, that sounds suspiciously like the logo for the margherita mix Eleanor died picking up. Doesn't sound too bad compared to several of the other flavors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

justlikedunkirk posted:

would require reversing the entirety of time

Such linear thinking.

To them, it could be more akin to putting 4 inconsequential pebbles back into a river.

If you're outside of time, "later" is just as easy to access as "earlier".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, guys, no matter what, the reason Chidi has an American accent is that they didn't want to force Harper to do a bad Senegal one.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thexerox123 posted:

Such linear thinking.

To them, it could be more akin to putting 4 inconsequential pebbles back into a river.

If you're outside of time, "later" is just as easy to access as "earlier".
Imagine four humans at the edge of the Bad Place...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is it even possible to be a professor in Australia and not speak English? Chidi knows English. Its not a stretch to imagine that in any way.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

He would have an accent, because even a fluent second-language speaker will carry over phonetic habits from their mother tongue, but it's just more expedient for the show not to fuss with that. They fudged the realism so he would still feel like the same Chidi we already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

justlikedunkirk posted:

I'm sure someone else brought this up, but I think I realized how they'll get around the plot hole with Chidi speaking English.

They're still in the afterlife, this is just another test for them. I have no idea what the test is exactly, but this makes more sense given them going back to Earth would require reversing the entirety of time since all four died (and they didn't die at the same time either!).

Why would the judge freak out about doing it if were just another simulation? Why is Chidi speaking English a plot hole so many people are concerned about when him having a second language is such an obvious and easy answer?

• Locked thread