Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Move over, Brown Moses: There's a new Higgins in town, and this one didn't drop out of college!

The Enemy at Home: U.S. Imperialism in Syria - Patrick Higgins, Viewpoint Magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tokamak posted:

it's coming right for us

Russian pilots are under a lot of pressure what with getting shot down constantly so you really can’t blame them for mistaking a featureless patch of ground for a terrorist and reflexively quintuple-tapping it with bunker busting munitions

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

With this Ivan being shot down the 300 millions in manpads and heavy weaponry donated to moderate salafists have finally brought dividends

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the russians have accused turkey of being the source of the manpads

with that said

Plutonis posted:

With this Ivan being shot down the 300 millions in manpads and heavy weaponry donated to moderate salafists have finally brought dividends

unironically

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1 kill against the great power with arguably the shittiest equipment and worst trained air force.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the PRCs is worse idk.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIomRlBkIiw

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

russia is an austria-hungary tier great power at best, really more of a regional power with delusions of grandeur and an oversized peacetime military

this is not the first russian aircraft to get shot down in syria

the PRC's airforce is definitely worse in technical respects, they're still dependent on russian jet engines for even their new 'domestic' military aircraft

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They will still destroy the F-35 squads when hopefully WW3 begins

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F-35 squads will be destroyed by the international date line.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

favourite russian aviation fact is how mig-25s in remote bases were constantly out of commission because the pilots and aircrew kept drinking the radar coolant

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

favourite russian aviation fact is how mig-25s in remote bases were constantly out of commission because the pilots and aircrew kept drinking the radar coolant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkySNDX4dU&t=263s

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Human Grand Prix posted:

F-35 squads will be destroyed by the international date line.

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The biggest problem with the Soviet Union is that they were lead by Russians

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im practicing the sound of atgm systems firing and im getting pretty good

[bhhhg] SSFFfffffffff fffffffffeewwwww

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Plutonis posted:

The biggest problem with the Soviet Union is that they were lead by Russians

Galactic brain take

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/960575476883324928

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
GO BIRDS!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/EndiZentarmi/status/960318561985204225

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress yeah

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/960608773353168897

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At the speed Olive Branch is going, Turkey will seize the claimed security corridor in cool 80 years or so.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

At the speed Olive Branch is going, Turkey will seize the claimed security corridor in cool 80 years or so.

idk, im always skeptical that their goal is taking land. They seem find sitting pretty and just killing a lot of kurds.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The curse of The Lion continues.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the resemblance... uncanny

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fallen Hamprince posted:

lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Shocking that Americans would provide rebels with a fleet of F-35s fresh off the assembly line.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/WyvernReports/status/960934920028909571
https://twitter.com/putintintin1/status/960936571917799424

Chemical weapon's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

https://twitter.com/AfarinMamosta/status/960917872934576128

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

what's this guy's angle? he seems to support russia, but anti assad? and he really hates the kurds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

what's this guy's angle? he seems to support russia, but anti assad? and he really hates the kurds

Who knows. The important thing is that he's retweeting the official statement of Operation Olive Branch, which is claiming that YPG attacked FSA fighters with chlorine gas.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Who knows. The important thing is that he's retweeting the official statement of Operation Olive Branch, which is claiming that YPG attacked FSA fighters with chlorine gas.

okay, so he's probably turkish

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the Turks are saying that the YPG and SAA are using chlorine gas against them? lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He who smelt it, dealt it

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Frijolero posted:

So the Turks are saying that the YPG and SAA are using chlorine gas against them? lol

no, the YPG attacked the FSA with chlorine gas. i'm not sure what's the latest on FSA and Turkish relations, anybody?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

One time in 1st grade I smelled a rank fart and asked who did it and someone used that phrase on me and it was my introduction to the idea that aphorisms and other superficially intuitive things can be totally wrong, and that's why I didn't become a conservative

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

no, the YPG attacked the FSA with chlorine gas. i'm not sure what's the latest on FSA and Turkish relations, anybody?

The "FSA" is a rebranding for the various jihadist organizations that have fallen in under the Turkish security umbrella. They've basically agreed to be Turk tools as part of a deal where they keep godless Kurdish communists from establishing themselves on the Turkish border, prevent Syria from ever stabilizing by preventing the government from taking back the country, and in return they get to run the Turkish occupied zones like their own personal sheikhdoms.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The "FSA" is a rebranding for the various jihadist organizations that have fallen in under the Turkish security umbrella. They've basically agreed to be Turk tools as part of a deal where they keep godless Kurdish communists from establishing themselves on the Turkish border, prevent Syria from ever stabilizing by preventing the government from taking back the country, and in return they get to run the Turkish occupied zones like their own personal sheikhdoms.

lol, okay i thought the FSA was the same thing as the SDF, shows how much i know

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karl Barks posted:

FSA is currently the "faction" Turkey armed to fight the ISIS in their Euphrates Shield operation, now used to destroy the Efrin pocket.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

lol, okay i thought the FSA was the same thing as the SDF, shows how much i know

The FSA was, initially, units off the Syrian Arab Army that defected to the rebellion. They were supposed to represent the "moderate rebels" that Washington liked to claim it supported, but all of the foreign money and weapons went to the radical Salafist brigades instead, so the FSA was eventually whittled down to the point where they had to join the Salafists in order to survive. So the Turks tried to claim the legacy of that brand's legitimacy in the West by calling their own pet militias the "FSA."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HorrificExistence posted:

idk, im always skeptical that their goal is taking land. They seem find sitting pretty and just killing a lot of kurds.

If that's the case, their grand posturing only increases the global perception of their incompetence when the difference between their stated goals and ground capabilities is thrown into a sharp relief.