Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm looking at these largely without checking the responses so I don't "convince" myself it's one thing or another, so apologies if these have already been sorted out.

"John Bredge of selsted sonn of John Bredge of [Raynd?] & Martha ffinch of Thaxted daughter of Thomas of Brayntreed wear married ye 30th day of September"

"John Bredge sonn of John Bredge of Rayne & Martha ffinch daughter of Thomas of Brayntree"

"Mathew the son of John Bridge & Philip his wife was bapt."

--

E: Reading back and covering other responses: "Brayntreed" would indeed easily be a variant of "Braintree", the double lowercase "ff" is why I'm reading the first location as Selsted rather than Felsted, but it could feasibly be either, Miss Finch is definitely Martha, and the son is definitely Mathew. At the end it definitely says "Philip" but I think it can be safely taken for "Philis", it's one of those things.

Oh, and as for multiple children of the same name, that wasn't too uncommon back then, I think it usually occurred when men had children with multiple wives. It does create confusion though because of "elder" and "younger" distinctions - they would usually be for father and son, but in this case would be for two brothers, and I think even occasionally if there were two members of a family in a town/village with the same name, but they were uncle and nephew for example, they'd still be called the elder and the younger.

HJB fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HJB is too good at reading. Nice!

also literally just got a message last night on facebook: Hey [myname] I see you're working on genealogy. Do you know the name __ __ _ _ ? Is he a relation?

Dude is my 5th 4th cousin 0 removed hell yeah

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 4, 2018

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Facebook has been an interesting tool for reaching out that’s for sure. I recently made contact with some second cousins who live in Australia that way, as well as a distant cousin who helped fill in some pieces of the puzzle on another branch that I hadn’t yet pieced together.

Of course the latest contact I had was by way of my mother receiving a message on 23andme. She sent me an email yesterday asking “oh do you know this person so-and-so? This person contacted me because they have a connection through them.”

Fortunately for that cousin, I’d filled in enough of the tree to place them pretty exactly. Doubt I’d learn that much but maybe they’ve seen a particular bible record I’ve been looking for more recently than I have :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

We had a little chat about that part of the family. His grandfather was an extramarital son of my great grandmother's 1st cousin, one I did not know about, so we could both contribute some stuff :)

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Great-grandparents came from Finland about a hundred years ago & there is a combination of essentially entirely Finnish & Swedish ancestry to my bloodline. I have a vaguely Germanic name as well, and my mom came from there, so I guess there is a lot of roots there

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
Somewhat of a sad story I've come to piece together in my research. Ancestry DNA turned up a 2nd cousin with a name I didn't recognize. I reached out to a couple uncles, and they vaguely remembered the name. They pointed me towards a g-g-uncle, which all they knew of was that he had died in WW1.

His draft registration card at the time lists him as single with no dependents in June 1917. I'm not sure of his exact deployment date, but he was assigned to the American Expeditionary Force Siberia, where he died in the Russian Civil War. His daughter was born in November 1917. He died less than a year later, in October 1918, and is buried in Meuse-Argonne in France. His (wife/girlfriend?) later (re-?) married in 1944, which lead to the name that eventually showed up on my results.

That's about the extent of what my family knows, and I've not reached out to this person. I've only found some trace evidence that he may have even known he had a child. I'm trying to track down if he was in fact married sometime in 1917, but it's going to require some in-person digging, as the county where they lived only has marriage records online going back to the 1980s.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Well my genealogical quest has quite suddenly turned into a long-term archival project.

Over the past weekend I traveled out to visit my uncle to go through some documents he had kept from his parents. Among them were hundreds upon hundreds of pages of letters my grandmother sent to her family and friends that she kept copies of.

Some will, of course, help flesh out the tree, but I expect most will end up merely serving to paint a picture of her life that I never got to see, as she was too ill to communicate well with us grandchildren by the time we were old enough to really understand her.

It will be a daunting task to prepare it all to be sure. Although much of her correspondence after 1955 was on typewriter, she grew up in Czechoslovakia and half her letters are in German, and the rest feature characteristic code-switching between German, Spanish and English.

It is even more complicated by the fact that, while her generation has mostly passed on, her children still survive, so I need to take particular care of family sensitivities with this work. What she was willing to write to a friend she may never have intended her children or grandchildren to see.

So all of this demands careful curation and annotation of these works in order to properly frame and portray what is worth portraying. But I think it will be a great and fun challenge to try to transcribe it all faithfully and present it in a way that presents her as a fully fleshed out person with needs, desires, and opinions (to me at least).

Plus, who knows what stories are hidden within? Even without reference to these letters, the documents also included some revealing papers that uncovered (for the first time) what really happened to this family during and just after World War II.

To this end, one big outstanding task that I look forward to tackling in my next visit relates to several diaries that my great-aunt kept between 1939 and 1945. From the bits of German my uncle was able to read, these diaries paint a potentially fascinating picture of a teenage woman dealing with the twin tribulations of coming of age and coping with the reality of total war and its impacts on Prague.

So there’s a lot to do now and I’m certain to be busy with work on this for months, if not years, to come.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty awesome. You'll probably get lots of insight into her daily life.

I was going through a crate of stuff from my GGmother from around the time my GGfather died and it's just an odd time capsule into 1951. He had a heart attack, but made it to the hospital. So the first half were get-well telegrams and cards. But back then there weren't a whole lot of treatments for heart attacks and you'd often just have another one in the hospital and die. Sure enough the second half were condolences.

And telegrams are so weird. Like people actually communicated like this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I just got a treasure trove of stuff from my late grandmother's estate courtesy of my aunt. Word's getting around I'm the family historian and people are actually keen on unloading all the old pics and poo poo on me. Thankfully my family's main defining genetic trait on that side is being utter packrats so there's a lot of stuff.

Including this letter my grandma saved from my grandpa. He sent it to her shortly after Pearl Harbor. He was a 21 year old plumber's apprentice and she was an 18 year old high school student.

quote:

dDearm Marion
Iwill tell you A story
Once upon a time there was aboy and girl they were very much in love
They wanted to get married but before they got around to it WARw was
declared so they decided t o wait till it was all over .
Finely the boy was drafted. So he got the girl an engagement ring
they were very happy of corse they knew that soon they would part
But it would not be for long.The boy wemt to the army all he could.
think of was when he would get back they could get married.
Finely peace was declared, the boy hurried back as soon as he could
he founed a job they were married, before long they had a small
house and famly. they lived many happy years they died happy
grandparents, having two great grandchildren.

well I must close, ihope you liked my story as it may be the only
one Iwill ever write
Yours forever
Bud
PS I love you very much. ################### #
This was typewritten on an actual typewriter at his place of employment after he found out he'd been drafted and mailed to her. He got everything right except he married her while he was back on leave not after the war was over, and he actually had five great-grandchildren at the time of his death. He obviously had never typed anything before. My grandma always said he was the only man she ever loved. He was bomb disposal and hit the beaches D-Day +4 and followed the front basically all the way into Germany. I also got his scrapbook from his time in the military. He was apparently the hero of the unit when he jury-rigged up a hot shower for them using his mad plumber skills.

Oh, and they first went out because she and her girlfriends wanted to go out partying and someone mentioned my grandpa owned a car so they invited him so they'd have a ride. So I guess all those car commercials were telling the truth, dammit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a really sweet letter :) I have scanned a ton of letters and have more to scan. Most are from the 1950s–70s, but a few date back to the 1920s. There's a handful from the mid 1930s between grandma & grandpa from before they married, very sweet and innocent stuff!

I scan pure text letters as 100dpi cause I'm impatient, but anything with photos or drawings as 600dpi. Letters go in folders named "yyyy-mm-dd - sender - recipient", unknown months/dates as 00; the dashes will ensure somewhat proper sorting. When I transcribe, it's verbatim to a .txt file in the folder.

Also, for archival purposes, look into envelopes/boxes made from acid-free paper.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh also Ancestry is having the 69 dollar sale again, 'limited time only' but they keep extending it so I wonder if this is going to be the new price. I've seen it for 59 and its 49 if you go to conferences like RootsWeb (coming up soon) but this is probably reasonable. Also MyHeritage and FTDNA are of course following suit (23&Me might be? Haven't seen anything of late).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just found out my great grandmas uncle did time in 1890 for beating the crap out of a dude who almost died. Apparently my guy was known as "Headbutter-Larsen" :stare:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Just found out my great grandmas uncle did time in 1890 for beating the crap out of a dude who almost died. Apparently my guy was known as "Headbutter-Larsen" :stare:

Time for a username change! Mods?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah! Except the original Danish "Skallesmækker" has a nicer ring to it, but sadly nobody would understand it. :shrug:

Skull-smacker Larsen?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Oh yeah! Except the original Danish "Skallesmækker" has a nicer ring to it, but sadly nobody would understand it. :shrug:

Skull-smacker Larsen?

Skullcrusher is a time-honored Anglo name in this vein. Also makes you sound like a professional wrestler ala Hulk Hogan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You run across some great nicknames & bynames once in a while.

Another great uncle was known as "The Terror of [Town]" and it is claimed that he bit off the nose of a man in a fight, though I haven't found proof of it. I have found lots of breakins, public intoxication, vagabonding, and such though.

Also a guy is mentioned near my hometown in the 1660s with the byname "Salpeter Syre" (nitric acid). Not sure if he manufactured it or he had a sour personality or what.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey Its St. Paddy's Day and you know what that means!

No, not green beer. DNA tests go on sale!!

Ancestry:$69 (reminder that ancestry does not take transfers from other companies) FREESHIPDNA can get you reduced or free shipping as a coupon code.
FTDNA:$59 (FTDNA does take transfers from other companies like ancestry and 23&me and MyHeritage)
MyHeritage (new, uses same lab as FTDNA, good for finding European matches):$69 (they will also take uploads from other testing companies)
23&Me:$79 (they will NOT take uploads of raw data from other companies)

Also all Irish records are free all weekend at Ancestry! Woo!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Man I wanna try it some time but I've read that most of them (except maybe FamilyTreeDNA?) require subscriptions to keep access to your DNA data, do you have info on that?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Krankenstyle posted:

Man I wanna try it some time but I've read that most of them (except maybe FamilyTreeDNA?) require subscriptions to keep access to your DNA data, do you have info on that?

I used MyHeritage (because it was cheap). Most things you try to do on the MyHeritage website need a subscription, but you can download your data and then upload it to Gedmatch, which is free.

I got my results last week and so far have found one 3rd, one 4th, and one 5th cousin, which is rather cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah that's good to know! Thanks :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
23andme turned part of my DNA into a little melody. :3:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

FamilyTreeDNA requires a one-time fee of 18USD to see your matches and message them (or getting a DNA test through them, they don't really have any records to search like ancestry and their family tree portion is utter poo poo and just a place to upload a gedcom file and any changes you want to make to it require you to re upload said gedcom file after making changes in some other third-party software).

AncestryDNA requires 49 bucks a year to see and message your DNA matches. They allow you to make and keep your tree on there for free (but you won't be able to link any of their sources or see any sources on other people's trees).

MyHeritage allows you to upload and see DNA matches and message them but your public tree can't exceed 250 people without a subscription or you get nasty grams and it no longer is viewable (I think I just let my subscription lapse because I never used their dumb sources and unlimited space and backups include access to their sources and is meh overpriced IMHO)

23&Me is like FTDNA in that’s you get permanent access when you take the test. You have to opt in to sharing your data with close matches, they don’t support family trees on the site, and the database is smaller than Ancestry’s. You can download your raw data. 23&Me also has a global genetics project where if your four biological grandparents are all from the same country you get a free DNA test and all kinds of results on health etc so they can broaden their database. You have to be at least 18 speak read write English and I think reside in the US. Details here.

LivingDNA allows you to upload for free and if you do so before August of this year (I think) you'll be able to see matches for free too so they can build their databases. They also offer a discount on testing if you qualify for any of their various projects wherein they try to refine DNA ethnicity tests to make them more accurate to location (basically if all four of your grandparents were born/are from within 51 miles of each other in various countries, they have a long list, check their website for details its all over it).

Gedmatch.com and gedmatch Genesis are both free to upload both gedcom and raw DNA data files to from just about all the various testing companies but if you want to use their nifty Tier One tools which include triangulation etc. its some amount a month but you can buy just one month's subscription (I want to say its 39 but go check).

Also if you uploaded to gedmatch.com but not genesis, go do that, otherwise you're missing out on finding 23&Me matches from the new chipset that debuted in August 2017. You'll have to remember to periodically check both, though. Genesis site is still in beta officially I think but its a LOT faster and smoother looking.

You can also upload your DNA and trees to wikitree.com for free and it includes the ability mark yourself as a YDNA descendant or MTDNA descendant of whoever you're descended from and your haplogroup etc. Its growing pretty rapidly too someday I will get around to doing that but man you are forced to go through every person on your tree one at a time and correct or mark as duplicate with already existing people and since I have both colonial and French-Canadian roots I have a shitton of duplicates and over 2000 people on my drat tree and fuuuuuuck that.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Awesome, thx for info :)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all! Krankenstyle pointed me to this thread based on some stuff I was posting elsewhere. I'm about to have to run out the door but I wanted to post something here so I remember to come back and post the rest of it later.

My grandfather fought in WWII as a captain in the army corps of engineers, going from Normandy all the way to Berchtesgaden and beyond into Wels, Austria. Throughout the war, he and his wife wrote to each other several times a week. The amazing bit is that my grandmother saved every single one of those letters, and my mom dug them out of the attic a few years ago after my grandma died. Mom has spent years transcribing all of them, with the goal of turning them into a book at some point. The rest of the family doesn't want them all shared yet, but we have shared about ten of them as a part of a crowdfunding effort to get my mom and her sister to come visit Europe later this year.

So here's a taste:

quote:

Germany
10 April 45

My Darling:
I received 2 nice air mail and one V-mail from you yesterday. Received 3 air mails and a couple of V-mails day-before-yesterday. One of them contained the pictures of Junie and her buddies. The one of June on the porch with a big smile was the one I especially liked. She is still a very pretty girl but growing rather leggy (nice ones). I imagine she will shoot up rather tall and spindly till she reaches the adolescent stage and fills out to a young woman. We need to have no fear that she will not be a lovely one. Her features are nice & regular and she has a good-lookin Mama for a model.

There are a couple of things I’ve been intending to tell you- not too pleasant but I think you’d be interested.

First, I attended church Easter Sunday. Services were in a pine grove. The chaplain could scarcely make himself heard above the roar of planes and big guns. The front lines were about 2 miles away but the Barrage was passing directly over our heads. Religious celebrations, such as Christmas and Easter, seem rather a mockery under such conditions. It seems that men engaged in mass murder, shouldn’t pause to worship the Prince of Peace, the One who promised Life Everlasting, then return to their game of slaughter and destruction.

The other thing I wanted to tell you about was watching the destruction of a city. This city was the scene of a German O.C.S. in the path of our advance. When our army reached the outskirts of the city, the people were given the opportunity to surrender and avoid the destruction of their town. They refused to do so, under direction of the fanatical O. candidates. Our infantry then withdrew and the city was bombed and shelled for a day, then our infantry returned. They were attacked by both civilians and the O.C.’s. They withdrew again and for the next 3 days the city was bombed and shelled unceasingly. It was a horribly fascinating sight. When our infantry came in 3 days later they met little resistance but the devastation was almost complete. Of buildings enough to house around 35,000 people, only a few at the outskirts were undamaged. The others were mostly rubble. The ones still standing were shattered hulks, monuments to Mars, the God or War.

To get back to more pleasant subjects; we’ve had some wonderful weather for the past 2 days. We’ve been passing thru some beautiful country. Have seen quit a few pine forests. There is still some snow on the mountain tops.

We’re living chiefly in tents now. I like the outdoor life but wish these blooming pup-tents were a little larger. They are too low to even set up in without touching the roof with your head. When it’s raining, rubbing against the tent will cause it to leak. Then you do have fun!

Sweetheart, don’t get too sold on living in Oregon. If it is as damp as they say it is there, I don’t believe I could enjoy living there. My sinus trouble would keep my head stuffed up all the time.

Am sending another snapshot of myself and a couple of the men. The one in the center is me – the homely one. This was taken in the courtyard of a place we stayed. To our right, as you look at the picture, (just out of sight in the picture) was a pile of manure approximately 10’ high by 80’ long by 30’ wide. People and live-stock lived in the buildings surrounding us and you couldn’t tell by looking which lived where. The two women in the background were a couple of very loose ones that I had quite a bit of trouble trying to keep the men away from. How anyone could go for such women beats me but they did.

I only go for one and I’ve got a long ways to go. The sooner I start the better. I love you terriffically, Sweetheart.

Yours,

Otis

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thats damned good writing imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Looked through some of my scans, and wartime letters were much more compact here. A telegram to my grandpa in German-occupied Denmark from his sister in the English-occupied Faroe Islands:

quote:

Am well. The children are healthy. Congratulations with the (ie your) children. Say hello to parents (-in-law) and friends. Am expecting letter soon. Regards from us all. Your sister.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 25, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Those are great. I always found letters home interesting, for what they leave out as much as what they write. We have a letter from my great-grandfather's sister in 1952 who had the misfortune of being in Russia-occupied Berlin. It was nuts, I looked it up on google maps and the apartment where my great-grandfather lived before he came to America and his sister's kids' apartments were literally 300 yards from each other but managed to be on opposite sides of the Berlin Wall. Talk about luck. Its written in Sutterlinschrift but I luckily knew a guy in Germany whose grandparents could read it and they translated it for me back in the 90's/early 2000s.
I also have my great-grandmother's alien resident book. If you weren't an American citizen (or if you were and they didn't like your politics, or your travel history or ethnicity or whatever else J. Edgar didn't like) you had to carry it around and show it on demand by any authority. She never wanted American citizenship (she was from Bavaria) or never got around to it or something. Her husband became a citizen and I thought that automatically made the wife (it didn't work for husbands interestingly enough) one too at that point in time but maybe its because she went back to visit in 1936-7. I'd be curious if she ever had a file on her. I should look up the number on the book.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Denmark didn't have any coherent system of laws regarding foreigners until 1875. Before that, there was basically only a post-Struensee-coup requirement that govt. employees should be Danish born or naturalised (law of 1776). In 1875 it became law that all resident foreigners should carry a logbook, I think much like the one you mention Oracle.

I would expect in European & derived nations that if some guy became a citizen, his wife would automatically become one as well, but there wouldn't necessarily be any paperwork on it unless they got divorced or she outlived him and wanted to remarry. I mean women were for the longest time not even considered legal persons.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

Thats damned good writing imo

Right? Here's grandma writing back:

quote:

Portland, Oregon
April 4, 1945

My Darling:

I would feel much better about writting this letter if I could go clean my face before I start it but If I do I get cream on my fingers and somehow it gets on the pen and then my pen won’t write so I’ll write the letter first.

It seems my evenings are gone so quickly that I cannot get half done what I want and need to do. My nails needed manicuring right now & I should write a letter to Mother Compton, one to a friend of mine who is in Mt. Home & others too numerous to mention. However you seem to be the only one I get to write to. I also must go fit a couple of dresses I’m having made. I’ll try to get that done tomorrow.

My days go quickly at the office because we have so much to do -there is absolutely no chance of getting it all done in one day. One always knows there is plenty to do & we have to just keep plowing through it getting as much done as possible and its noon before one realizes it then its five o’clock again before one knows it.

I have no trouble sleeping because I’m so tired by the time I get to bed that I’m certainly ready for sleep. If my time keeps speeding away like that you should be home before long. This can’t go on indefinitely I know- It’s got to end sometime.

I’m going to try to find a good voice teacher again. I’m making plenty to pay for them myself and the few lessons I had did me an awful lot of good. I can make much higher notes than I used to.

Well dear. I had nothing to say when I started & I haven’t thought of a thing since so I’ll say by by & that I still love you.

Love,
Dot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:kimchi:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah one of the best things about these letters is you can see her navigating the massive changes that are happening in society as he's navigating the war.

In this next one, she falls through the floor in the office she's working in and bruises her "very particular place".

quote:

Portland, Oregon
April 2, 1945

Dearest Otis:
I haven’t written for several days and I should be full of news. I am but I am too lazy to write about it all, although I’ll try.

First of all. “In Our Easter bonnets” we went to Sunday school and church. June was in the little Sunday school program and it was her first time to go on the stage for any thing. I was a little worried about what she might try to do. However I needn’t have been for she marched across the stage holding her Easter lily and said a pretty little verse. I was proud of her. I was thrilled. Thats my girl.

Well my girl is now engaged in the art of clay modeling. She is making a snake. She held it up and said, “look isn’t it long and healthy?” It sure was.
I’m so glad you had a few days rest because I know you must have needed it very much and you surely deserved it if anyone could.

Honey! I didn’t know you were trying to find another girl prettier than I. Here I have been telling myself you were well satisfied & when you get away from me you start seeing if you can find one prettier. I’m shocked but I’m kidding to.

You know you handed me a left handed insult, also, when you said a guy was lazy & in the same line you said he was a born Office worker. I’m an office worker and I’m not lazy.

The office where I work is pretty rugged right now. We moved and they are extending the office and doing it over. Well I went to look for a nail to punch a hole in a can of milk and fell through the flooring. Only one leg went through and I bumped my hinney pretty hard. I’ve a bruise in a very particular place. I hurt my side some. I was pretty shaken and had only gotten control of myself. (I nearly fell through to the room below) the boss came in and he said “did you know that our floor is falling down on the people below” and every one told him what had happened & darned if he didn’t bawl me out for it for being over there. Then when he saw how mad I was he tried to act concerned & wanted me to go to the nurse & the hospital & I said “I don’t need a nurse or a hospital but I’m going home. I didn’t break through your damm floor on purpose.

I came home & after cooling down & resting a while I felt better and I called the office and the girl who is in charge told me Jack said he was awfully sorry that he had been so gruff & for me to come on back to work so I guess I’m still working.

Well dearest my little [mama has a question mark over little] seat is too sore to sit on for long so I’ll say by for now. I’ll bet I get tired of sitting tomorrow.

Love Dot.

P.S. If you could see my new Easter bonnet & hat you wouldn’t need another laugh for a week but I like it. I also bought a new purse June a new hat & coat and patent slippers. My we looked dressed up. By now Dear. lots of Love. Dot.

Easter slipped upon us and we didn’t send a card but we were thinking of you.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And another two-day letter.

quote:

Portland, Oregon
April 15, 1945

My Darling:
I have just finnished writting a letter to your (our) mother and I should have written it quite a while ago but when I write to you every day (or nearly so) I don’t have much time for other letters and you have first priority on my letter writting. And your mother understands I know. In fact she encourages me to write even more. She doesn’t know I write to you nearly every day. I do feel you don’t get all of my letters.

June Lea has the Chicken pox and she has a real bad case. This letter will be real short I’m afraid because June is very fretful. She has those ugly old sores all over her poor little body and hands & face. In fact every where. Even on her toes and they itch. Of course, I have to keep her from scratching because I sure don’t want her to scar her face or any place that shows.

All of our radio programs have been of a very beautiful nature. Soft & sweet & reverent in respect for our beloved president. None of the programs are like they usually are. Every one mourned his passing. I guess he was the best loved man of the world today. I’ll send you some of the write ups about the reactions of the people. The radio was more impressive of course. Even Jusakie [?] the Japanese priemier sent his condolence to the American people. Can you imagine that? Well mabey they are human after all.

The weather is lovely today and I would love to be outside but then so would June so I guess we’ll just stay in & suffer together though of course she really is suffering.

Honey I’m sorry but I’ll have to cut this short. June is really crying in a big way with her itches so I’ll have to help the poor little tyke as best I can.

April 16

I couldn’t help June any myself for I was afraid to put anything on her that would do her any good for fear I’d do the wrong thing so I called the doctor and told him how frantic she was & he was very nice and sympathetic and told me about a lotion to put on her & I went directly to the drug store and got the lotion. She was much relieved after I patted her with the stuff and went right to sleep. Today she is doing very well but she’s still covered with those thing but of course she will be for several days. Everyone that has seen her says she has had the chicken pox worse than they have ever seen. I surely hope she doesn’t scar.

I didn’t go to work today because I felt June Lea needs me and she really did. I will go to work tomorrow though.
We are having such beautiful spring weather and we are going to try to go on some outings in the next few weeks. I don’t know where we’ll go but there are many beautiful places to go.

You’re going to be mad at me cause I haven’t written for three days but I’ve had a very good reason. A sick child requires a lot of attention.
Well I must quit and iron my dress, pin up my hair, manicure my nails & go to bed. Those are great plans but I’ll probably get my dress ironed a bath taken and then I’ll be so tired I’ll forget about my hair.

By now dear. I love you & I’ll write more later.
Love
Dot.

I'm Facebook friends with a decent number of goons, so I'ma point out that if you ever see an older lady named June posting incredibly clueless and confused poo poo on my wall, that's the June in these letters when she was a baby.

Oh and here are the three of them, I think this was taken shortly after he got back:

My mom is June's little sister, born just about a year after the war ended. True boomer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Good on your grandma for telling off her boss lol

I would post more of my own letters but they're almost all in Danish & translating them while keeping tone and misspellings is super hard. I have a few things about my 5th great grandparents Ole Pedersen Tofte & Karen Marie Bering that I translated previously, so here yall go!

From the Magistrate's Journal, entry no. 1604 year 1804:

quote:

O.P. Tofte, Master Saddler requests separation of table and bed from his wife Karen Marie Bernts.
They appeared October 3 and were instructed to live together.

Separation "of table and bed" meant that they could live separately, but not remarry. Some of the attached letters:

quote:

Pro Memoria!

As I due to the unruly behaviour of my wife Karen Marie Bernts, both inside the house and between the residents of the house where I have and do live, whereby there constantly arise disagreements not only between ourselves, but also with the residents, that cause great vexations, indeed causing cases at the courts: Additionally she practices all manner of injustices against me that one can think up, in order to thus maybe lead me to assault either her or myself; It is then, that I ask of the high Magistrate that we may be called up, so that we by the intervention of the highest Magistrate may be separated from table and bed, as it is to me an impossibility to live with her any longer.

Kiøbenhavn den 27de Septemb 1804

Humbly,
O P Tofte
Master Saddler

quote:

Copenhagen, April 20 1805

As adjured, I was on Christmas Eve 1804 summoned to Master Saddler Tofte where he claimed to have been struck by his wife with a stone bowl wherewith she had hit him right in the eyebrow of the left eye, which was entirely split open and I had to visit him for 5 or 6 weeks and bandage him.

This attested by,

Teuscher,
County chirurgeon

quote:

That I on different occasions have been called to Madame Tofte to bandage some significant headwounds, whereamong especially one on the left side of the temple was dangerous and has left a significant scar, and that she now again shows evidence of violent battery at various places of the body, that her husband is to have caused her; I in truth testify as requested.

Kiöb d: 2° octob: 1804

Fridericksen
Chirurgeon at the marine

They were eventually granted the separation. I have also found several cases in the police archives showing that they didn't just beat each other but also their apprentices & journeymen, their neighbours, local servant girls, etc. Example:

quote:

Reverently Promemoria

After Master Saddler Tofte and wife, residing in Mÿntergade No 52, had all day made a commotion in the courtyard with me the undersigned, who lives adjacently at the same place, there came a girl, namely Anne Lene who is employed at at Wiingaardstræde 159 & 160, and who had previously served the aforementioned Tofte in an errand, and when she was about to leave the courtyard, I had a woman escort her out as I feared an assault by him and his wife; Regardless, the aforementioned Tofte and wife came out and hit the aforementioned girl twice upon the ear, saying: that he would spend the 5 rigsdaler thereupon [presumably meaning he would gladly pay any resultant fine], and called together boys and others to heckle the girl. Therefore, I myself had to escort the girl out, as the gate had been closed by him. Later on, in the evening, I was continually berated; and since I cannot abide by my customers and their people being exposed to that manner of conduct, we had a row, during which they both, husband and wife, accused me not only of thievery, but also of being a fence – threw a broom after my highly gravid wife, whereby she fell into convulsions, and indeed threw a bucket of water after me – as Tofte's wife put it: for lack of a chamber pot; all of which I have witnesses to prove.

As it is not the first time that I, my wife, or my visitors have been assaulted in such a way by the aforementioned Tofte and wife, I beg the police court to call then in to either prove their dishonorable accusations and actions, or suffer the punishment.

Kjøbenhavn, den 12te Juni 1801

Reverently,

Fotel.
Free Master at the Blacksmiths' Guild
Residing Mÿntergade No 52

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:lol: They sound delightful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea they were hilariously terrible all around, there's like 20 similar police cases over a 10 year period. :sweatdrop:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are broom-induced convulsions hereditary? You might want to be careful about that until you get your 23andme results back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I hope not! Luckily Fotel's wife is not an ancestor.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Are broom-induced convulsions hereditary? You might want to be careful about that until you get your 23andme results back.

Only when gravid (read: hugely pregnant)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think some people might find this bit quite interesting:

BIGGEST EVER FREE ACCESS*
Find your family, all long weekend
What better way to bring your family closer together than our Easter Free Access weekend?

From 30 March to 2 April, you’ll be able to search millions of UK, Ireland and Commonwealth records – all completely free*. Start in Britain then head off to Australia, Canada, or wherever, and spend four full days finding long-lost family all over the Commonwealth.

Enjoy FREE* Access to millions more records including these highlights:

NEW Historical Photographs and Prints
Explore more than 40,000 images, capturing defining moments in history and displays of everyday life.
Birth, marriage and death indexes
Find family among the vital indexes covering England and Wales as far back as 1837.
Commonwealth records
Get access to everything from Australian Electoral Rolls to Canadian Census records.
Plus much more. ANCESTRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey Fold3.com, what's that? You got Civil War records all opened up til April 15? And nary a Tony Stark to be seen? Well alrighty then...

quote:

Fold3 has worked with the US National Archives to bring millions of original records to the Internet for the first time. Explore Civil War records that feature everything from personal accounts to historic writings that would shape a nation.

What can you find here?

Soldier Records
Photographs
Original War Maps
Lincoln papers, photographs
Military antiques
Slave Records

Gotta register so they can send you spam, but its worth it IMHO.