Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

I assume they did that cause it opens up possibilities for fighting non-robots without showing blood, but then Leo's still using a katana so :iiam:

I wonder how Casey Jones is going to look in that art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pakled posted:

I assume they did that cause it opens up possibilities for fighting non-robots without showing blood, but then Leo's still using a katana so :iiam:

Sai are supposed to be used as blunt weapons.

Nodosaur posted:

TMNT has needed a shake up and new spin on the old dynamics for ages now.

I'm willing to give it a chance.
Not really the previous series did the job fine.

drrockso20 posted:

This time around each of the Turtles is a different species, apparently Raphael is a snapping turtle, Leonardo is a red eared slider, Michelangelo is a box turtle, and Donatello is a soft shelled turtle(and thus wears some armor on his back to cover for having less of a shell than his brothers)

So not brothers at all then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Only as much as Splinter isn't their father at all, I'm sure.

Interesting that they're diverging them so much- the 2012 show has Donatello mention they actually aren't sure what kind of turtle they were originally, though presumably some common pet store species.

Presumably, Raphael's weapons are switched up because sais would look ridiculous sitting in his hands at that size. And oddly enough, there's actually some relation between sais and tonfas, mostly as being blunt weapons made for blocking and parrying bladed ones, and usable as batons.

The glowy bits seem to imply they're playing up the Turtles using magic and/or technology on an individual basis more than before.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The real test to that TMNT is if the kids that liked the CGI show will stay or jell with this incarnation. I'll have issues regardless of what happens because weapon changes with - uh, special power effects? Okay, England, whatever man.

I'm sure there will be some shithead reaction to April, but I honestly don't know much about her OG character. So she's gonna be a unpaid programmer for Baxter Stockman this time around and that's how her and donnie gel this time?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

April's been super different and occasionally really weird in pretty much every incarnation of the franchise.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Inescapable Duck posted:

April's been super different and occasionally really weird in pretty much every incarnation of the franchise.

I dunno, I think the 87 cartoon incarnation's shaped her interpretations for the most part for a drat long time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

April's fine but whew that Splinter is rough.

https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/959154453692731392

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is she wielding a baseball bat? That's meant to be Casey's thing!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Staff from Voltron and Korra are pitching a Sherlock Holmes inspired cartoon with two lady leads:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/325175510/blossom-detective-holmes-the-animated-mini-series

Pilot here:

https://vimeo.com/244645464

It's an extremely small staff it looks like, so nowhere near the same budget as TV

This looks exciting. I hope it gets backed because I'd totally watch it. (put down a little money on it myself)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Why is this so ugly

why is Raph so swole

I feel like there's trend starting where they take the tough guy and make him swole, look at Sonic Boom.

drrockso20 posted:

This time around each of the Turtles is a different species, apparently Raphael is a snapping turtle, Leonardo is a red eared slider, Michelangelo is a box turtle, and Donatello is a soft shelled turtle(and thus wears some armor on his back to cover for having less of a shell than his brothers)

Imagine the lovely pet store that sells a snapping turtle as a pet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, part of the pitch on that TMNT cartoon is that they discover a secret underground mythical society or something, so they go into magic from the get-go (thus the glow's probably magic) and their first serious villain is John Cena the Alchemist Warrior who wants to turn the world's population into mutants.

In the livestream they also mentioned something about 'dimensions' being a thing and that anyone can pop in.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yardbomb posted:

April's fine but whew that Splinter is rough.

https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/959154453692731392

Starring Danny DeVito as Splinter.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Funky Valentine posted:

Dammit, that's exactly what I was going to say but I was blanking on his name.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I can't get enough andy suriano ( an idol) in my life and I'm sure a lot of kids will love it.

Edit:
Check out his comic Cosmic scoundrels.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

Staff from Voltron and Korra are pitching a Sherlock Holmes inspired cartoon with two lady leads:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/325175510/blossom-detective-holmes-the-animated-mini-series

Pilot here:

https://vimeo.com/244645464

It's an extremely small staff it looks like, so nowhere near the same budget as TV

Made a third of its second episode budget in its first two days, I'll probably donate to it myself pretty soon

I'm kind of into its portrayal of Holmes as more anxious and emotional than most versions of him. Jamie as the collected one is a good take.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My nearly-three-year-old son has got massively into Paw Patrol, which means I've seen way too many episodes of it in a short time. Have to say, though, the combination of "We need to come up with more new toys!" and writers probably contemplating eating a bullet if they have to come up with another reason for the pups to rescue Chickaletta or Callie the cat one more goddamned time has turned it completely loving insane.

As well a whole new character in the admittedly cute form of Everest and the inevitable new outfits and vehicles (Super-Spy Chase! The Paw Patroller!), you get the Kitten Catastrophe Crew (an evil feline Paw Patrol) and Mayor Humdinger (a literally moustache-twirling villain) introduced in season 2. Then along comes another new pup, Tracker, the Sea Patrol and Air Patrol gear arrives - completely eliminating the USPs of both Zuma and Skye by giving everyone flight and water modes - and the stories take the team as far from Adventure Bay as possible. Mountains? Jungle? Desert? The Antarctic? Sure, why the hell not! We've got toys to sell!

By season 4 and the Mission Paw specials, Ryder - a ten-year-old boy with no apparent parents or guardians - has somehow built a fully autonomous AI robot, personal jetpacks, an aircraft carrier, a VTOL cargo plane, a stealth jet, and a massive secret underwater base in the middle of loving London - er, Barkingburg - and is called upon for special missions by royalty. Considering that he has astounding technical skills and seemingly unlimited resources, lives in a high-tech tower with total surveillance over its surroundings, can build transforming supermachines to make DARPA poo poo their pants in fear and has a squad of intelligent talking dogs who obey his every command, he's basically one bad morning away from growing up into Blofeld. No wonder everyone defers to him - they're desperate to keep him happy to avoid extermination.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Dr. Rattis Toboggan

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Payndz posted:

My nearly-three-year-old son has got massively into Paw Patrol, which means I've seen way too many episodes of it in a short time. Have to say, though, the combination of "We need to come up with more new toys!" and writers probably contemplating eating a bullet if they have to come up with another reason for the pups to rescue Chickaletta or Callie the cat one more goddamned time has turned it completely loving insane.

As well a whole new character in the admittedly cute form of Everest and the inevitable new outfits and vehicles (Super-Spy Chase! The Paw Patroller!), you get the Kitten Catastrophe Crew (an evil feline Paw Patrol) and Mayor Humdinger (a literally moustache-twirling villain) introduced in season 2. Then along comes another new pup, Tracker, the Sea Patrol and Air Patrol gear arrives - completely eliminating the USPs of both Zuma and Skye by giving everyone flight and water modes - and the stories take the team as far from Adventure Bay as possible. Mountains? Jungle? Desert? The Antarctic? Sure, why the hell not! We've got toys to sell!

By season 4 and the Mission Paw specials, Ryder - a ten-year-old boy with no apparent parents or guardians - has somehow built a fully autonomous AI robot, personal jetpacks, an aircraft carrier, a VTOL cargo plane, a stealth jet, and a massive secret underwater base in the middle of loving London - er, Barkingburg - and is called upon for special missions by royalty. Considering that he has astounding technical skills and seemingly unlimited resources, lives in a high-tech tower with total surveillance over its surroundings, can build transforming supermachines to make DARPA poo poo their pants in fear and has a squad of intelligent talking dogs who obey his every command, he's basically one bad morning away from growing up into Blofeld. No wonder everyone defers to him - they're desperate to keep him happy to avoid extermination.

Is that why people called the show fascist propaganda, in what I imagine had to be the slowest news day ever?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The Bee posted:

Is that why people called the show fascist propaganda, in what I imagine had to be the slowest news day ever?

Fox News maybe?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thelaughingman posted:

Fox News maybe?

Can't trust those dirty foxes.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Fox News would love Paw Patrol. They're always on about government incompetence and the joys of privatization.

Personally I'm glad my kid has mostly outgrown it but he still watches PJ Masks on occasion and it's somehow even worse. Every episode manages to be more generic than the last.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So, this is a thing I won't be watching:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/959646352291614725

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The copy/paste puppies front and center do not inspire confidence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why is it passion animation when they use flashlikes?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The copy/paste puppies front and center do not inspire confidence.

I mean poo poo, the ability to copy and paste puppies is basically the only reason the original movie got made.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

I mean poo poo, the ability to copy and paste puppies is basically the only reason the original movie got made.

In the background, sure. But normally you're supposed to put effort into the foreground characters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always imagine Pongo and Perdy never interacted again. Whenever Pongo gets in the mood after the initial fiasco, Perdy's all like "gently caress off! Not after what happened the last time :mad:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They already had a 101 Dalmatians cartoon. The dalmatians' owners bought a farm and Cruella their neighbour was always trying to foreclose on them or some other cockamamie rich people scheme. (I liked the episode where Cruella is trying to get a rich guy to marry her, and the dalmatians and farm animals decide to help her with that, because they realise it's one of the only ways they're ever going to actually get rid of her)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Bee posted:

Ha! I hadn't heard that one. Although all of Adventure Bay's emergency services have been outsourced to a small boy and some dogs, so maybe it's about shameless political corruption and incompetence. (Mayor Goodway is kind of a screaming idiot.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Is Ben Schwartz playing the blue one again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Payndz posted:

Ha! I hadn't heard that one. Although all of Adventure Bay's emergency services have been outsourced to a small boy and some dogs, so maybe it's about shameless political corruption and incompetence. (Mayor Goodway is kind of a screaming idiot.)

I dunno, beats your average American cop nowadays.

Anyone remember Rescue Heroes? Had a kick-rear end theme song.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

They already had a 101 Dalmatians cartoon. The dalmatians' owners bought a farm and Cruella their neighbour was always trying to foreclose on them or some other cockamamie rich people scheme. (I liked the episode where Cruella is trying to get a rich guy to marry her, and the dalmatians and farm animals decide to help her with that, because they realise it's one of the only ways they're ever going to actually get rid of her)

Fast friends, with cold, wet noses.

So! The Lion Guard. I know very little about it except that the song about raising Scar from the dead is my nephews favorite, and thus I've heard it about 37 times.

Wouldn't this have gone over very badly in the 80s? Necromancy is still one of their hot button issues.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Found it!

I think my favorite line has to be " In the Guardian, Ryder is described as a megalomaniac with an implied "unstoppable God complex." "

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Beachcomber posted:

So! The Lion Guard. I know very little about it except that the song about raising Scar from the dead is my nephews favorite, and thus I've heard it about 37 times.

Wouldn't this have gone over very badly in the 80s? Necromancy is still one of their hot button issues.

Never heard about necromancy being a hot button issue, so I'd love to hear about this. I tried to give Lion Guard a shot but honestly, it must be either aimed at very young children or super bad because it just does not work on any level.

Coincidentally, has anyone tried to watch the Wacky Races reboot? Is it any good?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bee posted:

Found it!

I think my favorite line has to be " In the Guardian, Ryder is described as a megalomaniac with an implied "unstoppable God complex." "

I mean, the show basically sounds like a child's fantasy of fighting crime and saving people with cool toys and talking dog buddies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember going to Florida and visiting maybe universal and Nickelodeon studios or something of that nature where they were testing sound design with animation that later was gonna be 101 Dalmatians: The Series. It was rad as hell for a tour and when it later came on TV in 97 I got a personal investment in that looking so drat familiar until it hit me. But that was a product of the late 1990s and Dalmatians, like it or not, was one of Disney's biggest financial successes in the animation industry so they're always gonna chase after that now and again because its had past success and is now a legacy part of disney, especially with a now maybe even greater worldwide gross of $215 million for the original 60s movie. I don't expect good things from that recent cartoon until it proves otherwise though.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always imagine Pongo and Perdy never interacted again. Whenever Pongo gets in the mood after the initial fiasco, Perdy's all like "gently caress off! Not after what happened the last time :mad:"

Nah, they only had 15 pups. The other 84 were adopted after they all escaped Cruella trying to make a loving coat out of dog fur. Which I guess her only fault was not being of age today to fit in with cartoon cruelty reality. :(

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 3, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Crabtree posted:

I remember going to Florida and visiting maybe universal and Nickelodeon studios or something of that nature where they were testing sound design with animation that later was gonna be 101 Dalmatians: The Series. It was rad as hell for a tour and when it later came on TV in 97 I got a personal investment in that looking so drat familiar until it hit me. But that was a product of the late 1990s and Dalmatians, like it or not, was one of Disney's biggest financial successes in the animation industry so they're always gonna chase after that now and again because its had past success and is now a legacy part of disney, especially with a now maybe even greater worldwide gross of $215 million for the original 60s movie. I don't expect good things from that recent cartoon until it proves otherwise though.

Nah, they only had 15 pups. The other 84 were adopted after they all escaped Cruella trying to make a loving coat out of dog fur. Which I guess her only fault was not being of age today to fit in with cartoon cruelty reality. :(

I always like Starkids version of Cruella from Twisted, a silly musical placing Jafar as a guy who was only trying to do the right thing through his theft, but realised that history would paint him poorly for it - other Disney villains show up during the titular song in which Jafar has this realisation, mentioning what their "true" stories were before their respective "heroes" hosed them over, reimagining Ursula as a woman dethroned by her brother Triton because he didn't approve of a woman being in charge, or Scar being ousted by Simba because he wasn't being a poo poo to the hyenas like everyone else - there is a sequence where, to play on the whole Genie idea they mention their "only wish" in a chant that forms a chorus, each one stating their goal, Ursula gets "I only wished to help the people", Scar gets "I only wished for equality for all!" and Captain Hook gets a cute cameo with "I only wished to teach the boy responsibility... so he wouldn't end up like me..." - then Cruella bursts in with a wonderfully unhinged "I only wished to have a coat made out of puppies :byodame: at which point everyone else just goes "What the gently caress? Why would you do that?" and Cruella goes shuffling off stage embarrassed.

I thought it was funny.

Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKWt-4FBjHY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also great that Cruella De Vil is the gold standard of Disney villainy. She hasn't tried to conquer an empire, kill a princess or even a human, just wants to steal a bunch of puppies to kill, skin and make a fur coat out of.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also great that Cruella De Vil is the gold standard of Disney villainy. She hasn't tried to conquer an empire, kill a princess or even a human, just wants to steal a bunch of puppies to kill, skin and make a fur coat out of.

She initially tried to buy the puppies from Anita, her old school friend and wife of other human Roger Radcliffe, so there is a likely more horrible subtext that the original 84 were either bought from a shelter or from shifty owners that would take quick buck or were tricked by a woman who wants dog skin accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Cruella is the best Disney villainess because she's the only one who has no excuse whatsoever for her actions. The other ones like Maleficent and Yzma could kinda sorta justify themselves, like they were wronged in some way, even if only slightly. Cruella's just a lovely person, and that's awesome.