Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

President Beep posted:

i was hoping someone would flame me for implying that the uk is a european country.

oh well.

only brits would give a poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sagebrush posted:

Lots of European countries have an extra yellow phase after red, before green, to let people get ready. It's incredibly stupid. America does traffic lights the right way.

Random fun fact: I learned this about Euro traffic signals after I had some British students in my Arduino class, which has as one of its first projects "use six LEDs and a button to simulate an intersection with a pedestrian-controlled signal." I thought the kids were just loving it up until I noticed a pattern among all the exchange students and went and looked it up

I am failing to understand why this is stupid. Please explain your reasoning.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, ukip/bnp types, i assumed. don’t think there’s anyone like that here in the ‘pos, but you never know what shaking the branches might turn up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Lots of European countries have an extra yellow phase after red, before green, to let people get ready. It's incredibly stupid. America does traffic lights the right way.

Random fun fact: I learned this about Euro traffic signals after I had some British students in my Arduino class, which has as one of its first projects "use six LEDs and a button to simulate an intersection with a pedestrian-controlled signal." I thought the kids were just loving it up until I noticed a pattern among all the exchange students and went and looked it up
yellow phase before green is way better if you've ever driven with it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

vodkat posted:

people see the intermediate yellow after the red cycle, and start going before the signal actually changes to green. kind of how a bad drag racer would.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

vodkat posted:

using the same color for opposite things is bad?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont even understand how your traffic lights are so hosed up that you give them thought

its simple:
- look at the perpendicular light & you know when its your light in 5 4 3 2

*drives into left turning car*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wait! obviously it goes yellow before it goes green

what the gently caress yall

tbf i havent drove a car since 2002 and i always jaywalk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

people treat the intermediate green as a special early bird invitation to proceed through the intersection. the best drivers only need to apply.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

israel had a flashing yellow to warn you the green was coming, i liked it because horns were much more acceptable you could lean on it the precise instant it turned green

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

people treat the intermediate green as a special early bird invitation to proceed through the intersection. the best drivers only need to apply.

intermediate yellow?

but no, not here beause we have an effective traffic police

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

President Beep posted:

i was hoping someone would flame me for implying that the uk is a european country.

oh well.

UK isn’t really a legitimate country

there’s England, independent Scotland, occupied Northern Ireland, occupied Wales, occupied Jersey and Man and so on, and of course occupied Cornwall

and las Malvinas son Argentinas

eschaton fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 3, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

*drives into left turning car*

we call this a pittsburgh left

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

there’s England, independent Scotland, occupied Northern Ireland, occupied Wales, occupied Jersey and Man and so on, and of course occupied Cornwall

UK is a state but not a country.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

intermediate yellow?

but no, not here beause we have an effective traffic police

You live in the Scandanavia, right?

In Iceland buses get to go about 5 seconds before other traffic- they have their own light and everything. Do you have anything like that in your corner of the world?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

You live in the Scandanavia, right?

In Iceland buses get to go about 5 seconds before other traffic- they have their own light and everything. Do you have anything like that in your corner of the world?

yea we have bus lights here too. not in every crossing but the ones where it makes sense

same with bus lanes, theyre there where it matters

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Krankenstyle posted:

This is wrong. Where i live it goes yellow before it goes red to warn you its about to turn red, so you can either speed up a bit to not have to suddenly break or to know its time to slow down.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
where i live the lights are always green and everyone's self driving car knows how to avoid all the other self driving cars

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

9-Volt Assault posted:

This is wrong. Where i live it goes yellow before it goes red to warn you its about to turn red, so you can either speed up a bit to not have to suddenly break or to know its time to slow down.

yes, here too. yellow means slow down & prepare for the change which can be green or red. 1232123212321 get it?

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
pretty sure it's: green -> yellow -> red -> red & yellow -> green, so you can tell if it's a start or stop yellow and the start yellow is much shorter than the stop one
makes it much nicer if there's cyclists so they can get started to take off in a reasonable time

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

9-Volt Assault posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

intermediate yellow?

oops. yeah. :blush:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gta 6 is gonna take place in 2013? wonder why.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

i used to like to be a pedant about the constituent states of The Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but most people don’t give a poo poo, and just call it whatever, so i just kind of stopped.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

quaaaaad damaaaaaage!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm the car on the left who continues to hit the gas when a pedestrian runs across my field of view.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tesla model 3 has the build quality of a 90s Kia

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

oh man this is so good.

quote:

In addition to the fit and finish issues, Munro also talks about how hard it’s going to be to tear into the Model 3, calling it a “miserable job,” and labeling Tesla engineers as “definitely electronics snobs.” He backs this up by showing how difficult it is to get to the “Front Trunk First Responder Loop,” which shuts off the high voltage system and disables the airbags.

To open the frunk, where the loop is located, when the vehicle has no power requires sending 12-volts to two cables found behind a plastic trim piece in the bumper (see the diagram below). Munro also expresses frustration with the “Rear Pillar First Responder Cut Loop” at the rear pillar, which has to be severed with a circular saw.

Munro also chides the Model 3's lack of a mechanical door handle in the rear. Up front, there’s a little lever in addition to the electric door-opening switch, but in the rear there’s not. In the case of an emergency that cuts the car’s power, Munro says, you’d have to fold the seats back and exit through the trunk. (Obviously, you could go through the front seats as well).

cant wait to die in a fire trapped in my lovely electric car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we don't need a warrant to rifle through your autonomous vehicle

bonus:

quote:

"It's incredible," he told Ars. "It felt like The Matrix, when they flip the switch—it's seeing everything, it's seeing way more than you or I can—and it's making decisions."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cool startup feel posted:

oh man this is so good.

cant wait to die in a fire trapped in my lovely electric car

good thing they don't turn into mobile incinerators the minute one of the battery casings cracks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fun to slag on tesla but i don't know exactly how much i would trust the objective judgment of a "detroit-based engineering consultancy." they know who pays their bills.

that said the panel gaps are still hilarious

infernal machines posted:

good thing they don't turn into mobile incinerators the minute one of the battery casings cracks

it's dumb that people act like electric cars are somehow a bigger fire hazard than regular cars, which carry around a tank of gasoline under the rear seats and run it with little metal pipes all over the vehicle

anything that has a self-contained source of energy can probably be induced to release that energy in a rapid, uncontrolled manner and if it's the sort of levels required to drive a car around it's gonna be a mess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2018

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

quote:

One of Nathan For You’s defining — and most enjoyable — attributes is the way Nathan is constantly piling one lie on top of another to make things work, and the fact that he usually pulls it off has given us some of the show’s most satisfying episodes. That was certainly true with “Shipping Logistics Company,” where Nathan starts with one typically absurd idea — the notion that a smoke detector could be used as a musical instrument — and got progressively more ridiculous from there.

Nathan is attempting to help a small logistics company save money by getting around tariff laws. He notices that smoke detectors carry much higher tariffs than musical instruments, and he’s got his plan. ...

Her pessimism aside, Nathan is especially clever in this one. First, he packages the smoke detectors as “blues” smoke detectors, and hires local musician Harmonica Greg to give “instructions” on how to play them, which amount to nothing more than “just press the test button.” When a California judge tells Nathan this won’t be enough, he goes a step further, and gives us the real meat of this episode: trying to have a hit song with a smoke detector in it.
https://www.avclub.com/nathan-finds-a-new-use-for-smoke-detectors-on-a-clever-1819898545

quote:

Last weekend, the Boring Company offered 20,000 novelty flamethrowers for sale. By Thursday, all 20,000 had sold out. But now Elon Musk says the company has hit an obstacle.

"Some customs agencies are saying they won’t allow shipment of anything called a 'Flamethrower,'" Musk tweeted on Friday night. "To solve this, we are renaming it 'Not a Flamethrower.'"

To be fair, that might be a more accurate label. As Ars Technica's Ron Amadeo wrote earlier this week, the Boring Company's "flamethrower" looks like it's "nothing more than a propane torch with fancy styling."
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/elon-musk-ill-dub-my-flamethrower-not-a-flamethrower-to-thwart-customs/

Excited for ole' Musky's final metamorphosis into literal self parody.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

it's dumb that people act like electric cars are somehow a bigger fire hazard than regular cars, which carry around a tank of gasoline under the rear seats and run it with little metal pipes all over the vehicle

anything that has a self-contained source of energy can probably be induced to release that energy in a rapid, uncontrolled manner and if it's the sort of levels required to drive a car around it's gonna be a mess

yeah but gasoline doesn't become violently combustible unless it's aerosolized unlike what the movies would have you believe, the plastics and vinyl in the car would burn more vigorously if they caught fire somehow

whereas the batteries can and do explode and burn violently when damaged

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

For sure those disconnects should be automatically disconnected redundantly with an easily accessible manual and toolless breaker but welp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is a solved problem

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a solved problem

Did... did you take apart a Concentration game to get that?

:ohdear:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hi i'm an emergency responder trying to pop open a tesla that just got hit by an f150 with 3/4 of a tank of gas everywhere. one of my favorite things to do is try to yank a couple of bare wires out of a tesla's rear end and try to connect jumper cables to them without making sparks as a screaming person bleeds out in the cab

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Hi I'm the rear end in a top hat stuck in the car in the Austrian alps for four hours because the first responders need to wait for a Tesla CS rep to tell them how to specifically chop the c pillar with a saw to get at a fuckin wire

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
so all I need to rob a tesla trunk is a 12v battery? nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I think there might be a problem with your car if the tank is under the rear seats and if fuel is pumped anywhere but to the engine. Did you piss off someone at your dealership or something?