Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember the pinto

almost every passenger car has the tanks tucked under the back seats now. SOP for fuel pump replacement these days is step 1: remove rear seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only reason we ever put them under the trunk was just mass production convenience. with body on frame cars we could just put a big rectangular tank between the rails and run little brackets in to hold it down. handling wise it sucked b/c its 100 lbs of poo poo sloshing around on the extreme rear end end of the car. now we build with unibody construction and its easier and safer to put that poo poo basically dead center in the car

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

its 100 lbs of poo poo sloshing around on the extreme rear end end

:same:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think there might be a problem with your car if the tank is under the rear seats and if fuel is pumped anywhere but to the engine. Did you piss off someone at your dealership or something?

vw used to sell cars with gasoline-fired heaters in the front

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not tech buble but this thread talks about all sort of california public policy poo poo and this story is long as hell but reall y fuckin good https://story.californiasunday.com/resnick-a-kingdom-from-dust

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it's fun to slag on tesla but i don't know exactly how much i would trust the objective judgment of a "detroit-based engineering consultancy." they know who pays their bills.

that said the panel gaps are still hilarious

it's dumb that people act like electric cars are somehow a bigger fire hazard than regular cars, which carry around a tank of gasoline under the rear seats and run it with little metal pipes all over the vehicle

anything that has a self-contained source of energy can probably be induced to release that energy in a rapid, uncontrolled manner and if it's the sort of levels required to drive a car around it's gonna be a mess

his consultancy is related to reverse engineering cars and selling that data to other companies. it would be in his business interest to loudly proclaim that the Tesla is the best car ever, here buy my report for $texas

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in fairness that's still not as deadly as the standard heater design on the air-cooled vws (heat exchanger on top of the exhaust manifold/collector), which turned the car into a gas chamber after about 50,000 miles, i'm sure entirely accidentally.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
didn't the original beetle have an option for a removable auxiliary gas tank that fit under the driver's seat?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

there's teh VW Thing heater.

yep thats a fuel line
and a spark plug
and a blower
and an exhaust pipe

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FrozenVent posted:

didn't the original beetle have an option for a removable auxiliary gas tank that fit under the driver's seat?

Bonus points if it drained first, leaving the driver sitting on a literal tank of fuel-vapor?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

yep thats a fuel line
and a spark plug
and a blower
and an exhaust pipe

the grovercar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from windshield wipers that drain the air from your spare tire to taillights that fill up with engine coolant, VW has always been the undisputed king of German Engineering

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

yep thats a fuel line
and a spark plug
and a blower
and an exhaust pipe

the most frightening things in this picture

• it looks restored
  • the exhaust appears to have been used

whyyyy

the correct method of restoration is to remove the thing and patch all the holes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

not tech buble but this thread talks about all sort of california public policy poo poo and this story is long as hell but reall y fuckin good https://story.californiasunday.com/resnick-a-kingdom-from-dust

yes to both points

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think there might be a problem with your car if the tank is under the rear seats

IIRC, the fuel tank for a Honda Jazz/Fit hatchback is under the rear seats.

edit: wow, I was a little late with this post

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

muckswirler posted:

Hi I'm the rear end in a top hat stuck in the car in the Austrian alps for four hours because the first responders need to wait for a Tesla CS rep to tell them how to specifically chop the c pillar with a saw to get at a fuckin wire

hope they got cell service where you die
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
my fave part is that it will literally take 3000 gallons of water and waiting 24 hours for a battery fire to extinguish, and that even then you should store it away from other things.

dc3k posted:

so all I need to rob a tesla trunk is a 12v battery? nice
nah, the guide says that this won't work as long as the car still has 12v power. That being said the Model S has mechanical releases you get at by yanking out a panel in the front wheel wells so I guess the 3 is technically an improvement in that area?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i thought the tesla was now the car of choice for what used to be bmw assholes. not sure why you'd want to prevent them being incinerated in a chemical fire?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

in fairness that's still not as deadly as the standard heater design on the air-cooled vws (heat exchanger on top of the exhaust manifold/collector), which turned the car into a gas chamber after about 50,000 miles, i'm sure entirely accidentally.

i'm reminded of the ww1 fighter plane with radiator mounted in front of and above the pilot

if it took one bullet, it would spray boiling water all over said pilot

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

it's fun to slag on tesla but i don't know exactly how much i would trust the objective judgment of a "detroit-based engineering consultancy." they know who pays their bills.

neutral evaluations are more valuable; just saying this poo poo sucks is a less viable product than this is what they do better than you (and can rip off)

they fell in love with the i3 during their tear down for example (bmw is not a client).

http://leandesign.com/pdf/Munro-BMWi3_Prospectus-Rev-web.pdf

https://vimeo.com/123284450

etc

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i thought the tesla was now the car of choice for what used to be bmw assholes. not sure why you'd want to prevent them being incinerated in a chemical fire?

lol. i dig this silver lining thinking. very positive.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

President Beep posted:

i used to like to be a pedant about the constituent states of The Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but most people don’t give a poo poo, and just call it whatever, so i just kind of stopped.

UK out of Cornwall!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

eschaton posted:

UK out of Cornwall!

the cornish can take their lovely shin-kicking game with them.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

PCjr sidecar posted:

neutral evaluations are more valuable; just saying this poo poo sucks is a less viable product than this is what they do better than you (and can rip off)

they fell in love with the i3 during their tear down for example (bmw is not a client).

Makes sense: i3 is honestly an insane car that should not exist. They straight-up took a concept car and mass-produced it.
BMW figured out how to mass-manufacture a carbon-fiber car almost a decade ahead of everyone else and not have it cost a comical amount of money. The battery pack thermal management system is apparently even ahead of Tesla.

Related:
US-spec i3's have all the hardware in them to do low-speed lane-keeping so that your car can mostly take care of itself when traffic is poo poo. It's just not turned on because of legal concerns.

To enable it you essentially edit a config file and hook a dongle up to the CAN bus that tells it 'yep, this is a euro-spec steering wheel and someone is totally touching the cap touch sensor' and it will take care of driving in rush-hour traffic on I-280 for you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and when you get into a traffic incident your insurance finds out and sodomizes you with a lamp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/959913048101224448

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

and when you get into a traffic incident your insurance finds out and sodomizes you with a lamp

:mrgw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if i had $5000 i could buy the option kit to have the dealer install that in my '98 volvo V70. apparently there are a couple of them left in the united states in NOS parts inventories

i wish i had an absurd amount of money to blow on my car

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my bitter bi rival posted:

sounding the rotor signal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the global dildo database with unprotected PHPMyAdmin exposed like it was set up by 14 year old me :downs:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm reminded of the ww1 fighter plane with radiator mounted in front of and above the pilot

if it took one bullet, it would spray boiling water all over said pilot

well, it’s not like engineers could actually predict the effects of a design before any sort of real world use

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

im the global dildo database with unprotected PHPMyAdmin exposed like it was set up by 14 year old me :downs:

man you started setting up global dildo dbs pretty young

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah im a real pro dildoer

or as we call it in "the biz", dilpro

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

horny teenagers are who i'd expect to do something like that, tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ate all the Oreos posted:

or as we call it in "the biz", dilpro

you'll be hearing from scott adam's lawyer momentarily

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

gently caress it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the first heaters in cars were just exhaust pipes diverted around the cabin

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

from windshield wipers that drain the air from your spare tire

wait, what??

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we need a :dice: for vw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in the original bug the pressure for the windshield washer fluid was provided by the spare tire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It was only like 10-20 years ago that people would refuse to park a VW in their garage because the electrical fires were so common and people kept losing their houses. I was gonna say that the germans have improved a lot recently but apparently they still gas monkeys and humans so maybe not.