Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I almost got killed by some gently caress with a work truck when they ran a red at full speed after the first car had made the cross. I happened to be more chill than usual that day so I didn't follow the car in front as closely as normal and used less gas to start while looking right. Missed my front by maybe 15 cm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

It's way more of a hoverboard than anything else that's been called a hoverboard.

It can’t be a hoverboard. No wheels.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

"Hey Joe- you know what douchebag motorsports guys don't do enough of?"

"Interfere with air traffic?"

"It's an untapped market!"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phuzun posted:

ND also has a ridiculously low age for getting a license if you have the slightest of farm job duties. So we have 14 year old children driving farm trucks in the rural areas thanks to child labor (that rarely has appropriate pay or taxes cause it's a 'poor' family farm that only has a few multi million dollar tractors).

When I was a farm kid, I swear that you could get a farm license at 13. You could only drive between fields and not on the highway. I never got one, I just drove anyway.

For OSHA, as a kid, the truck I had to drive was a '60ish IH 2 ton "running" on 6 out of 8 cylinders, had a giant spiderweb crack right in the center of your vision, shattered side mirrors, no power steering, no power brakes, a chipped tooth on the 2 speed axle so you were always in high range, and leaky hydraulics.

It was the "good" grain truck. The other IH didn't run as well.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TTerrible posted:

Speed cameras are such a scam.

They should standardise the speed limits and put them on big metal signs. Then the only excuse people would have is not being able to count.

My problems with photo enforcement are all about the the lack and abuse of due process involved. In a perfect world, photo enforcement is ideal, but in reality...

A camera usually excludes the context of a situation, is treated as infallible, and uses a system that notifies of an alleged violation long enough after it has occurred that the accused won't be able to remember details that might exonerate.

Also things like: the Villiage of Chevy Chase MD has 6 speed cameras along 5 blocks of Connecticut Ave just outside Washington, DC. Most would consider a single ticket for a car that speeds along 4 blocks of road perfectly reasonable, but here you will receive 3 $40citations. Police also still patrol the road and have pulled over and ticketed drivers who also just got a camera fine for the same violation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

"Hey Joe- you know what douchebag motorsports guys don't do enough of?"

"Interfere with air traffic?"

"It's an untapped market!"

If this is a real product we're gonna need a dedicated schadenfreude thread

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mostlygray posted:

When I was a farm kid, I swear that you could get a farm license at 13. You could only drive between fields and not on the highway. I never got one, I just drove anyway.

Montana is 16 without driver's ed, 15 with (it's a private class, not part of public schooling), and you can drive on private land at any age. If you manage to impress the hell out of your driver's ed instructor, like I did, they'll waive the written and practical tests and give you your license at the end of the class.

During my first drive, the other kid in the car drat nearly killed us 3 times. He almost rear-ended a parked car, ran a stop sign, and took a corner so fast the instructor had to smash his brake pedal to keep us from rolling over. Immediately after, he walked down the street to the DMV office, took the test, got his license, and dropped out of class.

:thumbsup:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was a guy we had working on our certification for precast concrete delivery cranes who earned his driver's license on the same crane his dad allowed him to drive when he was 14.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > OSHA Those people are standing way too close

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Garry's Mod 2 is looking good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's compressed like a 90's command and conquer FMV and looks just as fake. Is that real or really bad video quality and I don't suppose there is footage from the other camera?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMrjlq8XvM8

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The track ones aren't really any harm or abnormal. When rail lines are abandoned no one's going to go to the great expense of re-building crossovers and such when future track work is done. They just become cut-off like that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MC Escher's apartment?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Baronjutter posted:

The track ones aren't really any harm or abnormal. When rail lines are abandoned no one's going to go to the great expense of re-building crossovers and such when future track work is done. They just become cut-off like that.

Today, I learned.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Take a sip.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kith posted:

Today, I learned.

Depending on conditions and circumstances, it may be beneficial to rip up like, 100 yards of track to reuse materials, but usually not, and more often horrifyingly expensive, compared to new. Industrial waste is on a whole different scale to consumer generated waste.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I was thinking that was an electrolysis bath, but looking closer, it may just be a whole lot of immersion heaters.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Platystemon posted:

I was thinking that was an electrolysis bath, but looking closer, it may just be a whole lot of immersion heaters.

I was thinking undergrad art installation, but that could be because I went to a lot of bad installations as an undergrad art student. (It was worth it for the free beer.)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I see Florida is working out a replacement for lethal injection.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wolrah posted:

Personally I'm all for the idea of a countdown timer, but that idea's been brought up in the traffic engineering thread a few times with good reasons why it's not done.

In the city, traffic lights DO have a countdown timer if you look a little bit off to the sides: the pedestrian crossing signals have countdowns. The light will turn yellow a second or two after those hit zero and change to the solid "Don't Walk" hand. Thus far, I'm unaware of an epidemic of drivers flooring it in the last few seconds.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

oohhboy posted:

It's compressed like a 90's command and conquer FMV and looks just as fake. Is that real or really bad video quality and I don't suppose there is footage from the other camera?

That driver though:

She can nail me with her funny car anytime.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hope they drilled some sort of small hole through that so it doesn't fill up with water.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorilla Salad posted:

I hope they drilled some sort of small hole through that so it doesn't fill up with water.

Planning ahead doesn't seem to be their area of expertise.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Platystemon posted:

I thought "home electroplating."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't help it if you live in a failed state without competent, standardized driving tests :shrug:

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't, but from reading the forums I've learned there are places in the US where you basically get your license as a cereal box prize. :v:

I've been watching old episodes of the Canada's Worst Drivers and if you've ever felt that you're not quite paranoid enough about how bad the other drivers out there on the road might be then this show is the cure you've been looking for. How these crazy fuckers managed to earn and then hold onto a driving license is a crazy mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS3cJAN5KSU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been watching old episodes of the Canada's Worst Drivers and if you've ever felt that you're not quite paranoid enough about how bad the other drivers out there on the road might be then this show is the cure you've been looking for. How these crazy fuckers managed to earn and then hold onto a driving license is a crazy mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS3cJAN5KSU

"I'd like to learn how to drive without crying." - Emotional Ashley, 7:00

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

Planning ahead doesn't seem to be their area of expertise.

You're right. They should have filled the pit with concrete. Problem solved.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Where the corridors are gold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

Edit: It's weird. In the vid he say #2 was shut down after the leak in '86; wiki says it shut down in '91 after a fire...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Plant_shutdown_and_decommissioning

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 3, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/TE8jbVM.mp4

just dance your problems away

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Pile dancing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bumming your scene posted:

"I'd like to learn how to drive without crying." - Emotional Ashley, 7:00

Five minutes in:

Driver: "Oh my god, what if we die?!"
Cool Granny Baba G: "Well, there's a cemetery right there."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/TE8jbVM.mp4

just dance your problems away

it's a common practice in developing countries and it's better with sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqaQopEmhY

fun fact: this is why old sea shanties have a plodding, driving rhythm. easy way to get everyone to haul on the rope at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669minzpICI

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"It's so, SO unfair that cops and local authorities are enforcing speeding laws intended to prevent people from dying!"

*weeps for American liberties*

:911:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

There's nothing wrong with this one, they have successfully removed all the potholes? :confused:

but unfortunately also forgotten to fill them back with new asphalt

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you want to learn how to clean up radioactive contaminant in most of the world you use some carefully planned simulated fakes.
If you want to learn in the Ukraine you get a dump truck with fresh dirt from Chernobyl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9L_ovyo-LM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say this is a great idea but it still probably won't work on the people it is for.