Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What was LaVey's deal anyways? From my understanding he was more of a carnival barker.

A lot of this cult's ideology seems cribbed or at least heavily inspired from Anton Long of the O9A, a pseudonym that some esoteric scholars have attributed to David Myatt. Myatt denies he was Long and whether he was is subject to debate, and it's said Long inspired David Copeland, a neo-Nazi nailbomber who targeted black, South Asian and gay communities in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
LaVey was by his own admission Ayn Rand plus mythology.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

What was LaVey's deal anyways? From my understanding he was more of a carnival barker.

A lot of this cult's ideology seems cribbed or at least heavily inspired from Anton Long of the O9A, a pseudonym that some esoteric scholars have attributed to David Myatt. Myatt denies he was Long and whether he was is subject to debate, and it's said Long inspired David Copeland, a neo-Nazi nailbomber who targeted black, South Asian and gay communities in London.

My understanding is that it's Randian libertarianism contorted into a psuedo-religious doctrine. Can't say where or even if he would fit in the alt-right, but he can certainly be a gateway. I remember he had a rival or something that was identified in some of the more credible accusations of ritualistic abuse by American elites, but that came from a podcast I listened to while intoxicated.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

they're south park style glibertarians who shout "hail satin" to shock the normies

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pics of the Nazi squad that showed up at CSU in Fort Collins.

Looks like this guy, with the white suspenders, white laces and tattoo on the side of his head, got hit and was carried out by his buddies:

(Also notice the yellow laces on one of the antifas?)

What the heck is with that tattoo? It looks like something from Warhammer.

It might be the logo for Alexander Dugin's thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Feb 3, 2018

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
what color laces do you wear to show you've been beaten up by the inferior races?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would anyone wear suspenders like that in public?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

osirisisdead posted:

Why would anyone wear suspenders like that in public?

Skinhead fashon tradition

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress me they're stupid apes...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MizPiz posted:

It looks like an over designed factory
I think it probably looks quite nice from the inside, with all that natural light.

That's a p big problem with brutalism, in that people often disregard that part of a function of a living space is to not be depressing. You can still work around that while staying within brutalism, imo, but you need to plan for that, with windows with nice views, some plantlife strategically placed, etc. If you're in a place with a good enough view you can completely own that, but ofc a lot of times tenements and stuff aren't, so you need to figure out how to mitigate that. Brutalism, while not my thing, absolutely doesn't have to be bland and depressing, but can lean into a minimalistic and barren sort of beauty, but I think a lot of times it's just easier for people to make a big, poorly planned concrete cube and ignore the function.

This is just a 3-d mockup but it fits my point about building around the view.

The Barbican Conservatory definitely uses brutalism to contrast and enhance the plants.

And I personally find Freeway Park in Seattle to be stunning, even if it's nicer when the waterfall is running and maintained.

I'm definitely not an expert on brutalism but part of where it goes bad is lack of concern for livability of tenement housing and laziness, not something inherent in the style.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What the heck is with that tattoo? It looks like something from Warhammer.

It might be the logo for Alexander Dugin's thing.

If it's symmetrical, it looks like a Chaos Star from WH40K.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Brutalism is cool when it's covered in moss and plants. Then it starts to look like a natural stone formation, almost like South Asian Karst.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MizPiz posted:

My understanding is that it's Randian libertarianism contorted into a psuedo-religious doctrine. Can't say where or even if he would fit in the alt-right, but he can certainly be a gateway. I remember he had a rival or something that was identified in some of the more credible accusations of ritualistic abuse by American elites, but that came from a podcast I listened to while intoxicated.

Contorting Randian objectivism into religion is pretty easy, as perversely the whole thing runs on faith, anyway. While there's all sorts of rational arguments circling it with libertarian influences and the flavors of economics they like, you need to have faith that the virtue of selfishness is going to work out better for you than some other method of being, otherwise you wouldn't follow it. You can sorta rationalize it if you believed in a world where accidents don't happen and everybody gets what they deserve, but this is begging the question, since this sort of 'perfectly just world of conservationism' is presumably what conservatives want, not think exists right now. If that sort of world already exists, then it seems a metaphysical relation, and not to do with economics, government, etc, IE the motivations that put wind in a conservative's sails in the first place.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

tractor fanatic posted:

Brutalism is cool when it's covered in moss and plants. Then it starts to look like a natural stone formation, almost like South Asian Karst.

that's the key really

a brutalist building by itself more often than not looks like complete rear end

a brutalist building with proper landscaping around it almost always looks amazing

best example of that is the following

that's steve martin's house btw

also, by adding different material trim (wood, brick, stone, moss) it draws the eye away from the concrete finish and towards that trim, making it a much more efficient use of non-concrete materials since you don't need much of it to make an impact

e:

this ones goes from being good, to horrible, to looping back around to being amazing :pirate:

Gringostar has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Feb 3, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gringostar posted:

this ones goes from being good, to horrible, to looping back around to being amazing :pirate:

I would loving love to work in this building

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Gringostar posted:

this looks like it should be roaming the overworld of a '90s console RPG

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Oh Hell No posted:

this looks like it should be in orbit around the rebel homeworld

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

tractor fanatic posted:

The architect actually designed Freeway Park after a canyon, iirc. It's definitely supposed to look pseudo-natural.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love brutalist architecture, but I can understand how people who have a Roman fetish may pine for buildings with more columns or whatever.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Same, I'd love to build Command & Conquer tanks

PetraCore posted:

I think it probably looks quite nice from the inside, with all that natural light.

That's a p big problem with brutalism, in that people often disregard that part of a function of a living space is to not be depressing. You can still work around that while staying within brutalism, imo, but you need to plan for that, with windows with nice views, some plantlife strategically placed, etc. If you're in a place with a good enough view you can completely own that, but ofc a lot of times tenements and stuff aren't, so you need to figure out how to mitigate that. Brutalism, while not my thing, absolutely doesn't have to be bland and depressing, but can lean into a minimalistic and barren sort of beauty, but I think a lot of times it's just easier for people to make a big, poorly planned concrete cube and ignore the function.

Opinions on brutalism always seem so namby pamby to me. Very few people get their kicks by going outside and admiring their building. If your interior is nice and there's no architectural flaws, it'd make no difference that you live in a concrete block or a VIctorian flat. Likewise, when people go outside to hang out, they're not going to sit around their building and stare at it. They're going out to fool around by a fountain, or eat lunch or shop around or whatever.

Assigning blame to buildings for societal malaise is completely backwards. If you neighbourhood is poor and neglected, it'll look it no matter what building you live in. There's lovely parts of London where the all the houses are 19th century rowhouses, and it's not like that makes it less depressing.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol no, all five of those buildings is either falling to pieces (Robin Hood Gardens and that one in Covent Garden I can never remember the name of, 1st and 4th) or has already been demolished (Heygate and Lefevre Walk Estates, 3rd and 5th) because they were falling to pieces.

But assuming they weren't demolished, what would they look like in a thousand years of non habitation? That's what ruin value is about.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

brutalism does exactly this, which is why you end up with residential blocks and schools looking like inhospitable prisons rather than places that people actually want to be in
Nah, brutalism's ethos was buildings as functional machines. The entire point of brutalism was to sacrifice form for functionality. (Or cheapness, an extremely important quality in post-war Europe!)

You may not like living in a concrete cube, personally, I don't give a gently caress what the outside of my house looks like. But a cheap home is better than no home at all.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm all for brutalism being used a lot more in London as it would horrify prince Charles.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm not a fan of brutalist architecture but I realized a while ago that I have the same taste in architectural aesthetics as Hermann Göring so my opinions can be safely discounted.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My perverted fascination with raw concrete sealed itself when I stayed in a concrete tower block hotel room. Smack talk brutalism all you want, but those concrete walls keep out the noise.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Feb 3, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not a fan of brutalist architecture but I realized a while ago that I have the same taste in architectural aesthetics as Hermann Göring so my opinions can be safely discounted.

The Nazis had a pretty shallow appreciation of architecture, as rudatron said, their big project was literally a dome so big it would have it's own precipitation. (Largely composed of human sweat)

My perverted fascination with raw concrete sealed itself when I stayed in a concrete tower block hotel room. Smack talk brutalism all you want, but those concrete walls keep out the noise.

I like brutalism because they are the safest buildings to be in when a tornado comes through town :)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dreddout posted:

The Nazis had a pretty shallow appreciation of architecture, as rudatron said, their big project was literally a dome so big it would have it's own precipitation. (Largely composed of human sweat)

the master race

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gringostar posted:

that's the key really

a brutalist building by itself more often than not looks like complete rear end

a brutalist building with proper landscaping around it almost always looks amazing

best example of that is the following
there's a ton of it in hawaii too, and other heavy-concrete styles

people think oahu is all cozy bungalows. but nope. brutalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_K_79O21hk&t=507s

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Feb 3, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dreddout posted:

I think Carinhall was beautiful. :shrug: But I also don't claim to be one of the great architectural minds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think Carinhall was beautiful. :shrug: But I also don't claim to be one of the great architectural minds.

Despite being built for Big Hermann, Carinhall wasn't particular Nazi-inspired in terms of architecture. It looked more like a modernish interpretation of a classical Roman villa than anything else.

It was actually quite tasteful as far as authoritarian ego projects go. Compare it with any photo of Trump's various gilded eyesores.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Feb 3, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

It looked like Nazi mcmansion to me but I won't begrudge you your choice of Wolfenstein lair

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Opinions on brutalism always seem so namby pamby to me. Very few people get their kicks by going outside and admiring their building. If your interior is nice and there's no architectural flaws, it'd make no difference that you live in a concrete block or a VIctorian flat. Likewise, when people go outside to hang out, they're not going to sit around their building and stare at it. They're going out to fool around by a fountain, or eat lunch or shop around or whatever.

Assigning blame to buildings for societal malaise is completely backwards. If you neighbourhood is poor and neglected, it'll look it no matter what building you live in. There's lovely parts of London where the all the houses are 19th century rowhouses, and it's not like that makes it less depressing.
I was talking about the interior, lmao.

EDIT: Like poo poo I was talking about making sure the windows have nice views if possible, there's natural light so people don't get low-key depressed, and there's spots of greenery on the inside for visual interest. Some places won't even put in that effort.

PetraCore has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Feb 3, 2018

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Concrete is a rough and porous medium that is unpleasant to the touch so it isn't very suitable for railings, benches, walls, etc. The idea that no one looks at buildings so they can be completely devoid of ornamentation and that there is no value in considering their aesthetics is so bad you should probably apologize to the thread for posting it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The only truly proletarian structures are one room huts made of cattle dung

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

oh look at mr fancy pants over here with his whole hut made of prime cow poo poo, would you like some diamonds with that your majesty

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Found the buttmad alt-righter who hates that SA isn't their safe space.

Ruminant dung is more often used as fuel and fertilizer than building material, you loving moron.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is my aesthetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLX4NYrW1bI

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
"Siri, what is the alt-right?"
https://twitter.com/tomcokeisablunt/status/959886917444800512

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
is the joke that even his anime body pillow looks like it doesn't want to be with him

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Yeah it's all fun and games until the Empire kill you because they're looking for two droids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah it's all fun and games until the Empire kill you because they're looking for two droids.

Well, at least my charred remains will inspire someone to blow up their Death Star.