Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

The dine and dash scheme is the funniest thing in this manga since "Ok.".

free hugs though

are people still arguing about power levels? the joke is saitama is the strongest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Xarbala posted:

You got me. People like me like to parrot the half-universe BS line because it's usually in response to The Power Level question, the one that's already exceedingly tiresome in other franchises, and actively against the spirit of this one to begin with. It's convenient to trot out because it usually nips the question in the bud until someone actually takes a closer look at it.

Hell, this immediate topic was started with the Power Level question and it was asked because surely Garou must be strong enough to need more than one-punch to defeat. Which carries the implicit assumption that surely he has to be stronger than the guy who came before, Boros, who was demonstrably the second-strongest individual seen in the comic thus far. That must be why the current arc is about Garou, because he's so powerful, and not because Garou's story is one worth telling.

There are people out there who ask, "where does OPM go from here?" after the Boros arc because Boros was deliberately designed to be a final boss and the answer is lots of places, because the story had only barely started.

When I say things like "you don't need to kill to end a fight" I'm not being flippant, I'm trying to remind someone that their perspective and expectations of what this story is about are skewed.

Except for the part where Saitama is looking for a good fight, and you can't have a good fight if your opponent can be one-punched. This was also the main drive behind my question: Can Garou have a good fight with Saitama?

I also want Garou to survive the fight because he's trying very hard to be a good monster, and I root for him. :ohdear:

It would actually be interesting to see what Saitama is like when he can't take out everyone instantly. From his gaming experience with King, it seems like maybe he wouldn't handle well having to become skillful instead of powerful. (Every superhero story has an episode where the hero briefly loses their power. Surely, it could be arranged.)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

We know exactly what a good fight with Saitama looks like. Would garou be anything new?

Power rankings for saitama’s challengers:

1) King at any video game
2) mole people in a dream
3) a normal mosquito
4) a written exam
5) a budget
6) showing up on time

Aug 24, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Power rankings for saitama’s challengers:

1) King at any video game
2) mole people in a dream
3) a normal mosquito
4) a written exam
5) a budget
6) showing up on time

saitama beat the mole people but not the mosquito though

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Billzasilver posted:

We know exactly what a good fight with Saitama looks like. Would garou be anything new?

I feel like Saitama wants some kind of Porco Rosso fight where they just trade blows for a while without blocking. Unless you genuinely count the mole people, that hasn't happened, yet.

That list really shows what kind of fight he doesn't like, though. He doesn't want his opponent to be:

1) Too skilled
2) A dream
3) Hard to hit
4) Heady
6) Far away

5) doesn't really seem like issues for him, though. He kind of revels in the glory of penny-pinching. That's the most lively he gets:

And More fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 3, 2018

Aug 24, 2011

i love how fubuki ascribes all these masterful plans to saitama and the real reason he's acting that way is completely mundane

e: the only thing that would make next chapter better than this one is if fubuki doesnt have her wallet either

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 3, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And More posted:

Except for the part where Saitama is looking for a good fight, and you can't have a good fight if your opponent can be one-punched. This was also the main drive behind my question: Can Garou have a good fight with Saitama?

I also want Garou to survive the fight because he's trying very hard to be a good monster, and I root for him. :ohdear:

It would actually be interesting to see what Saitama is like when he can't take out everyone instantly. From his gaming experience with King, it seems like maybe he wouldn't handle well having to become skillful instead of powerful. (Every superhero story has an episode where the hero briefly loses their power. Surely, it could be arranged.)

What Saitama wants isn't what Saitama needs, and every time he defeats a monster it's an anticlimax usually played for laughs, sometimes for drama. The one notable time Saitama's victory feels triumphant and cathartic is when he takes down Sea King, and that was because other characters built up the drama and emotional stakes for him. But the real climaxes in the story are always centered around those emotional stakes.

While the Sea King arc turned a joke into drama by showing events from the perspectives of the heroes who weren't capable of one-punching someone to oblivion, the Garou arc is doing something similar. Except this time we're seeing things from the perspective of the antagonist. And we're seeing the emotional stakes for Garou slowly being built up, and we can see where his dissatisfaction with the current system lies. He wants to become the mightiest villain and overturn the current broken world order. But that's not what Garou needs.

Can Garou give Saitama a good fight? We've seen him get casually clowned on multiple times with neither party even realizing who the other was. Could he in future? Maybe? There may be some turnabout or twist that could make it happen. But based solely on what's in the murata version right now, we can see time and again that this guy, Garou, and this group, the Monster Association, are basically no obstacle at all to Saitama. For all that the HA and the civilians of OPM!world fear and dread these two forces, respectively, you already know how this will end. Even if Saitama is hoping this mysterious "hero hunter" will show him a challenge we already know that's unlikely. The closest time Saitama ever got to that ideal, his opponent Boros fell short to the point where Saitama actually took pity on him, and showed genuine sympathy because he saw himself in his opponent.

If I had to bet, in the end, way, way down the line, Saitama may very well find a good fight again, but he'll still be empty after winning. It won't be enough, because deep down that's not actually what he needed, it would only be a temporary fix. And then, later, the real climax of that arc happens in the aftermath. And while each climactic event in prior arcs had centered around other people having epiphanies and closure around Saitama, for the final arc, Saitama will have his emotional catharsis. And that's what I'm here for. Cool-looking fights are good and get people in the door, but when ONE delivers, he delivers genuine, heartfelt feelings. And then some goofs.

Which is how a crudely-drawn doodle webcomic managed to steal the heart of an insanely talented artist, who made sure the rest of the world got to check out this drat good writer's work by giving it art to match.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

e: the only thing that would make next chapter better than this one is if fubuki doesnt have her wallet either

:zenpop:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Well, I mean, where would she keep it with those dresses she wears?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Galvanik posted:

Well, I mean, where would she keep it with those dresses she wears?

Here. In this dress, she'll have to briefly go to the restroom before paying, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 3, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's almost painful watching people theorize what happens in the manga when the webcomic has had the answers for over a year now.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Garou is an over the top relentless character that seems to have infinite energy to stay up in a fight but Saitama's punches gives zero fucks to power levels, it immediately knocked Garou down with no conscious effort on Saitama's part.

thatsthejoke

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It's almost painful watching people theorize what happens in the manga when the webcomic has had the answers for over a year now.

You ever thought maybe people just want read muratas version so they don’t know things in advance? Like I have made sure not read Ones version because I wanna be kept surprised and not knowing what’s ahead.

Edit: it annoys me when people want to theorize and someone starts bemoaning and bitching about it . (In general ) Don’t wanna read it? Leave the thread and come back later. Yet I say that and I wanna slap anyone who brings up power levels. This isn’t dbz :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 3, 2018

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The Murata version is the definitive one anyways. Just because the ONE version exists and is further along doesn't obligate people to read it. It's the same as getting all wound up because people who are watching a new anime for the first time are making predictions without having read ahead in the manga.

Making predictions and theories about future plot beats is one of the ways people enjoy fiction. Stop trying to take that away from them.

And just for the record, I for one really enjoy reading people's thoughts and predictions of the story; so just because dipshits like this guy caterwaul about it being "painful" or whatever doesn't make your posts bad or worthless or anything else.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 3, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

The dine and dash scheme is the funniest thing in this manga since "Ok.".

It's good but the dudes trying to mug King is my favourite

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Davinci posted:

The Murata version is the definitive one anyways. Just because the ONE version exists and is further along doesn't obligate people to read it. It's the same as getting all wound up because people who are watching a new anime for the first time are making predictions without having read ahead in the manga.

Making predictions and theories about future plot beats is one of the ways people enjoy fiction. Stop trying to take that away from them.
I mean it does follow the same general story, but I suppose.

It's a good thing no one is trying to do that, then.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Davinci posted:

And just for the record, I for one really enjoy reading people's thoughts and predictions of the story; so just because dipshits like this guy caterwaul about it being "painful" or whatever doesn't make your posts bad or worthless or anything else.

I basically agree with the rest of your post, but I wouldn’t call the Murata version definite if only because the lovely drawing sells some jokes better and ONE can be pretty solid at just plain drawing when he tries.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I basically agree with the rest of your post, but I wouldn’t call the Murata version definite if only because the lovely drawing sells some jokes better and ONE can be pretty solid at just plain drawing when he tries.
I mean, I don't think ONE is ever going to actually continue his webcomic. It's been over a year since it updated, and as far as I know he hasn't mentioned when it'd come back, since it's just a hobby for him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean, I don't think ONE is ever going to actually continue his webcomic. It's been over a year since it updated, and as far as I know he hasn't mentioned when it'd come back, since it's just a hobby for him.

No way, it can't have been a year since those four pages came out. What.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Last Celebration posted:

I wouldn't call the Murata version definite because the ONE version is the better told story.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

God drat do I love Saitama barely whispering his hero name out under his breath because it's just that embarrasing

EDIT: One vs Murata version. The Murata version is far stronger in some scenes like the Boros fight, all Garou fights, selling the King joke so so good. ONE is denser, better paced, Tatsumaki has better character design, and overall the storyboarding is just better. They are both great but if I had to choose I would pick the Murata version without hesitation. The best part of the Murata version is you can show it to an american comic book nerd and melt his eyes out with how much better it is than any Marvel/DC comic.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 3, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, I was under the impression that ONE writes the manga, and Murata does the art. Sometimes Murata throws out an idea, like I think the tournament arc was his idea, and ONE approves of it. Is that true, or does Murata do the art and write the story?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
ONE is the writer. He takes input from his partner, just as Murata takes input on the artistic side for things like layouts and design. Plus, now ONE is working with genuine editors, so the overall story is more structured.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I wouldn't call the Murata version definite because the ONE version is the better told story.

They're both ONE, Murata and his crew are just doing the drawing.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that by now ONE's storyboards are drawn better than the ONE webcomic, even the later issues

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 3, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Symbolic Butt posted:

Garou is an over the top relentless character that seems to have infinite energy to stay up in a fight but Saitama's punches gives zero fucks to power levels, it immediately knocked Garou down with no conscious effort on Saitama's part.

thatsthejoke

This can't be the only joke of Garou's arc, though. As Xarbala pointed out, none of the bad guys are all that threatening. If they finally face off, and Saitama just no-sells him again, that would be lame. There must be some kind of conflict, and it must somehow be different from both their previous encounters and the Boros fight.

Garou seems to get more powerful when he's pissed off at his opponent. He was about to pass out when he got pissed off at Bang and his pal ganging up on him. Then he was suddenly back to swinging trees at them. Garou was kind of angry at his inability to kill people when he tried to punch Saitama, but I don't think that's quite the same thing. Maybe he would stand a chance if Saitama specifically managed to make him angry.

Just to pre-empt everyone getting mad at power levels, I don't care how strong Garou is. From a storytelling standpoint, there must clearly be a fight between them. I'm trying to imagine what that encounter might look like.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean it does follow the same general story, but I suppose.

Quite frankly, I tried reading One's version, and the drawings are so abstract that I can't tell what's going on a lot of the time. Put both versions side by side, and I can still admire the composition (like with Tatsumaki's impish One look). It's just not enjoyable to read on its own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, I was under the impression that ONE writes the manga, and Murata does the art. Sometimes Murata throws out an idea, like I think the tournament arc was his idea, and ONE approves of it. Is that true, or does Murata do the art and write the story?

The only contribution I can think of Murata making is Spring Moustache holding his own against that kelp monster for a bit and that bizarre power pole extend trick he pulled with his rapier then.

But that's the only thing I know about, I wouldn't be surprised if he's done more.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mystic Mongol posted:

ONE is the writer. He takes input from his partner, just as Murata takes input on the artistic side for things like layouts and design. Plus, now ONE is working with genuine editors, so the overall story is more structured.

editors are the worst thing to happen to this series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RareAcumen posted:

The only contribution I can think of Murata making is Spring Moustache holding his own against that kelp monster for a bit and that bizarre power pole extend trick he pulled with his rapier then.

But that's the only thing I know about, I wouldn't be surprised if he's done more.

I forget the details, but he also did stuff for the Elder Centipede fight, stuff that ONE said helped because he was against the wall for it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

Lily's entire existence is because Murata created her and put her in first. Then she got added to the webcomic afterwards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bisse posted:

One vs Murata version. The Murata version is far stronger in some scenes like the Boros fight, all Garou fights, selling the King joke so so good. ONE is denser, better paced, Tatsumaki has better character design, and overall the storyboarding is just better.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to start an argument over which version people should prefer. I'm just pointing out that dismissing the webcomic as inferior is overlooking an excellent piece of work.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 3, 2018

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

ONE writes the story and draws all the storyboards, murata does the rest and adds some flourishes sometimes

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

Bang and Bomb originally used Cross Slaying Dragon Fist (or something, don't remember the actual name), their ultimate move against Elder Centipede. A fan on the stream pointed out the power levels didn't match up with something later in the webcomic, so Murata brought it up with ONE and ONE made a new move one level lower.

ONE also gives Murata a lot of room when it comes to fights and stuff. Many times the draft only shows the beginning and the end, and Murata can fill in the blanks well. For example, the Elder Centipede draft was 45-ish pages, with the final product being 140+. Murata's additions also change the story substantially. In ONE's draft, there's only 1 panel of Genos attacking Elder and then getting sliced in half, with not much else happening for our poor cyborg. Murata made it so Genos put in his all and then some, and while it wasn't enough I'm pretty sure everyone ended up being impressed with him instead of if Murata went straight with ONE's draft where Genos jobbing is more of a joke instead of a tragic moment where his best isn't enough.

People acting like Murata's the writer or that Murata is ONE's art slave are both equally wrong. ONE and Murata both have a back and forth between each other in the creation of the manga. While ONE ultimately has final say he still values Murata's contributions and will go with them when they make sense or he likes it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Genos losing... IS a joke, though? That's the entire point. In any other series, Genos would be the protagonist and here he's the jobber. That's his role. It's not tragic, it's not a surprise. It's Genos being Genos, because he loses every single fight.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this forum has absolutely got to stop saying "jobber"

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Genos losing... IS a joke, though? That's the entire point. In any other series, Genos would be the protagonist and here he's the jobber. That's his role. It's not tragic, it's not a surprise. It's Genos being Genos, because he loses every single fight.

Scenes and characters can take on more than one role at a time in a narrative. Genos' baseline concept of "cool, powerful, & hot robot dude who gets owned time and time again" is the running joke yeah, but that doesn't mean his individual scenes can't have weight, suspense, or anything else. Everybody agrees that Saitama's joke is that he defeats everybody with one punch. That's his entire point, but that doesn't stop his encounters with Sea King and Boros from being genuinely powerful emotional climaxes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Davinci posted:

Scenes and characters can take on more than one role at a time in a narrative. Genos' baseline concept of "cool, powerful, & hot robot dude who gets owned time and time again" is the running joke yeah, but that doesn't mean his individual scenes can't have weight, suspense, or anything else. Everybody agrees that Saitama's joke is that he defeats everybody with one punch. That's his entire point, but that doesn't stop his encounters with Sea King and Boros from being genuinely powerful emotional climaxes.

Yeah, Genos losing is often played for laughs, but not in this instance. His fights against Garou and later against Elder Centipede show how he has turned most of his weaknesses into strengths. The fact that he still can't win and be useful is tragic. The actual joke is that he still somehow thinks Saitama's advice is valuable, even though he has made more progress by just examining his own flaws.

Tragic:

Joke:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Genos is a good boy who does his best

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You leave Genos alone.:mad:

Expect My Mom posted:

this forum has absolutely got to stop saying "jobber"

You can't stop this forum's wrassling blood. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even Saitama's joke gets played dramatically every once in a while. That conversation he had with King a few chapters back was fairly light hearted and ended in a goof, but it still mostly treated the matter of "winning all the time sucks and Saitama's depressed" pretty seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Xarbala posted:

Genos is a good boy who does his best

Genos is good. Just because he fails doesn't mean it's worthless to try.