Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Keetron posted:

Massive rant was incoming but I cooled down.

Short version: we have a Development branch and a feature branch for a pretty big epic so it has been open for a few months now. Yesterday someone finally, after these months, did a merge Development -> featureBranch to keep the second up to date. The part I work on has some big differences as for both the work continued. Because it was a list of so many items, he clicked "Accept Theirs" in the merge window for this entire module, commit this to the featureBranch and pushed to remote. The whole module was broken of course, so I wanted to do a revert but I cannot as git push --force is disabled for everyone by this same developer as "the people in this team are not proficient enough at git to have such a dangerous tool available to them".

I lost all day fixing that poo poo working around his bullshit merge. The only good thing was that I was WFH so I was not fired for cursing out my colleagues. Considering I walk away from this place in a week anyway, that would have been fun tho.

My first dev job I worked at a company where an infamous senior dev in another office would do this every few weeks. Nobody really wanted to start a fight. We used CVS, which doesn't track changesets. I wrote scripts specifically for grabbing various info about his changes so I could unfuck stuff. I actually enjoyed working there for the most part...

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

JawnV6 posted:

This just seems like willfully talking past each other. The thing that will somehow, some way merged to master should be reviewed and squashed down to 1 commit.

Quibbling over the precise ordering of those steps, or proscribing precisely when feature branches are rebased relative to master, or a million other little tangents seems unproductive.

Not willfully, but maybe I did miss the point. I'll go back and read the op again.

umm... if you're suggesting squashing several intelligible changes into one giant sprawling commit before asking for a review I would certainly not be in favor of that.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A secondary cultural thing I am battling in the scenarios I gave is that reviews should be for something being basically ready-to-ship. Let's say I do 50 lines to implement one unit of work towards feature X. I am liable to see "-1 Verify this doesn't do X."

What we would sometimes do with stuff like this or major change requests is spin off a new ticket and promise to address it in that one. That way we got to keep our smaller commits and the code reviewer has confidence their, possibly legitimate, concerns will be addressed.

I know I hate it when someone checks in stuff that breaks features that were previously stable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LLSix posted:

Not willfully, but maybe I did miss the point. I'll go back and read the op again.

umm... if you're suggesting squashing several intelligible changes into one giant sprawling commit before asking for a review I would certainly not be in favor of that.
"These minuscule differences don't matter so much as having an overall process that includes review before merge"

"OOOOOOooooh you got phrasing around of the minuscule differences wrong! Let's wholly focus on that!!"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LLSix posted:

What we would sometimes do with stuff like this or major change requests is spin off a new ticket and promise to address it in that one. That way we got to keep our smaller commits and the code reviewer has confidence their, possibly legitimate, concerns will be addressed.

I know I hate it when someone checks in stuff that breaks features that were previously stable.
In this case it's less about breaking existing things as it is not fully fulfilling all the requirements for a feature in one review. A spin-off ticket should ... do the ticket :D regardless.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of merge reviews, supposing you had a coding standing of "80 char max line length", would it be reasonable to reject a merge request with a line that was exactly 80 chars long on the grounds that it's 81 when you include the newline?

That sounded completely insane to me. When someone wanted to reject my code for that, I asked around other members of the team, including the extremely weak team lead, and they wouldn't even talk to me about whether that was really how it worked. This was a remote job, which is why they were free to ignore my messages. This particular reviewer had a bad personality already and on another occasion had launched into a 20 minute rant (on chat!) when I said "I like XML because it has builtin schema validation"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

rt4 posted:

Speaking of merge reviews, supposing you had a coding standing of "80 char max line length", would it be reasonable to reject a merge request with a line that was exactly 80 chars long on the grounds that it's 81 when you include the newline?

That sounded completely insane to me. When someone wanted to reject my code for that, I asked around other members of the team, including the extremely weak team lead, and they wouldn't even talk to me about whether that was really how it worked. This was a remote job, which is why they were free to ignore my messages. This particular reviewer had a bad personality already and on another occasion had launched into a 20 minute rant (on chat!) when I said "I like XML because it has builtin schema validation"

You can write a script that will reject any PR that has lines over 79 characters long. While doing that, analyze the codebase for lines over 79 characters that he committed.

code:
git grep '.\{80\}' $(git rev-list --all)
not sure what result this would give, let me check.
update, it seems my git installation is bad, let me know what your results were.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 3, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rt4 posted:

No, lol, this dude sounds abysmal.

80 character line limits are ridiculous anyway. It's 2018, in what world would you need to wrap on 80 character? If you're going to enforce line limits they should be longer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

80 char length limits are AFAIK a legacy practice from the old days. I don’t see a reason why it is still enforced.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Because some graybeards are also legacies from the old days, pretty much. I usually shoot for 120 nowadays and typically would let overruns slide in pull requests, unless there were a bunch of lines that went over or one line that was like 300 characters long. Yet another thing that an auto-formatter would've done for itself, had we had one.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

All this merge talk makes me so glad I work at a company that says "lol gently caress branches".

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Paolomania posted:

All this merge talk makes me so glad I work at a company that says "lol gently caress branches".

What is wrong with you

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Limiting to 80 chars is good because it makes it easy to have two files open side by side. I also find that the code ends up being easier to read when it doesn’t do too much on one line.

I guess I am the legacy graybeard. Get off my lawn kids.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 80 character limit is a holdover from punch cards. Technology has moved on, and standards should go with it. Very long lines are bad and there should be a limit, but there's no reason to keep it below the 120-150 range.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's not for tech reasons, it's for readability. My code has gotten way cleaner and easier to read since I limited myself to 80 characters. I don't make it a hard rule, cause sometimes a line needs to be long, but as a general rule of thumb it has served me really well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Limiting to 80 chars is good because it makes it easy to have two files open side by side. I also find that the code ends up being easier to read when it doesn’t do too much on one line.

I guess I am the legacy graybeard. Get off my lawn kids.

You can have 2 files open side by side with 120 chars per line too. Of course, that would require a monitor larger than 600x480, which if you'd actually be a graybeard you would have the nickel for.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
TBH I recently did 72 character (soft) limit, and being able to have 2 panels side by side on a 12" ultraportable is nice.

If you are working with a proper desktop, lol, go for ~120.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Volguus posted:

You can have 2 files open side by side with 120 chars per line too. Of course, that would require a monitor larger than 600x480, which if you'd actually be a graybeard you would have the nickel for.

Lol. I think you meant 640 x 480 young one.

I actually use 2x 1920 x 1080 monitors and 80 chars fits perfectly with a nice sized font. If you have too many chars on one line the font needs to be smaller for them to fit. Wrapping the lines sucks so I avoid that if possible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Lol. I think you meant 640 x 480 young one.

I actually use 2x 1920 x 1080 monitors and 80 chars fits perfectly with a nice sized font. If you have too many chars on one line the font needs to be smaller for them to fit. Wrapping the lines sucks so I avoid that if possible.

72pt font is a bit big to be honest. If I were you i'd try to replace my eyeglasses.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

80 char length limits are AFAIK a legacy practice from the old days. I don’t see a reason why it is still enforced.

80 is still the default value for Java's checkstyle. Some places just may have never bothered to change the default settings. 80 chars w/ 4-space indentation just seems terrible these days as defaults.

We set to warn at 120 and have a second declaration to error at 150.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

IntelliJ has a ghostline at 120, I kinda stick to that.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
2 space indentation is perfectly fine :colbert:

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
79 character lines, hard tabs, and 8 space tab stops or get out :colbert:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

leper khan posted:

What is wrong with you

Keep your changes small, your release cycles short, and your velocity high!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nippashish posted:

79 character lines, hard tabs, and 8 space tab stops or get out :colbert:

79 character lines, 4 space tabs, 4 space tab stops. :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

e. e. cummings has nothing on y'all.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

79 character lines, 4 space tabs, 4 space tab stops. :colbert:

4 character lines, 79 space tabs, 87 space tab stops

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

2 space tabs and youre only allowed to indent 3 times in a function

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Use feature branches for stories that can't fit in one or two reasonably-sized commits. If you find this is most of your stories, consider finding a way to make them smaller. There are any number of reasons why you might not be able to develop on master, but in general it's a good thing to eliminate those reasons.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You watch and limit the number of commits?

That's what a PR is for. To group them all together

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

You watch the number of commits?

That's what a PR is for.

No, it's not the quantity of the commits, but the size of the change.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Think of it this way: the risk of a change - i.e. the chance of pain in the form of a new bug or a regression or a merge conflict - is proportional to its size. This is both due to new/modified behavior and due to increased surface for conflict. This makes changes that branch off of mainline for an extended period the most risky. Better to factor your work into a sequence of small changes (and any story can be factored into partial units of small change) where you frequently merge changes from main while you work.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

After keeping my projects independent and "off the board" for a year I finally had to start using scrum/TFS and it is the biggest waste of time. Takes more time to write stupid loving first person task descriptions than it does to do half of them. Also love 4+ hour weekly meetings and 40 minute standups every day.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

After keeping my projects independent and "off the board" for a year I finally had to start using scrum/TFS and it is the biggest waste of time. Takes more time to write stupid loving first person task descriptions than it does to do half of them. Also love 4+ hour weekly meetings and 40 minute standups every day.

You should have retrospectives where you can point out waste in the process.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

yeah that happens with everyone once upper management decides that you have to be Agile, but wants like a ton of meetings.

generally though:

a) user stories should be higher level - shouldn't have to justify every task, just a goal you're working toward.
b) everyone should just talk to people when they're having problems instead of waiting until the scrum to do it. that meeting is punishment for not taking initiative to work with your team. if people are actually using the meeting to communicate real information or be like "i'm blocked because i'm waiting for so and so to do his thing", your team is defective. similarly, poo poo like the scrum of scrums or other arbitrary meetings are punishment for not communicating offline.
c) once you've reached step b), you'll still have to contend with all the sprint estimation stuff. the way to fix this is to say you're switching to kanban. with kanban you can fill out the same forms as scrum and use the same template, but the numbers reported don't actually mean anything, because velocity is meaningless when you just keep doing stuff until you run out of stuff to do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, stand-ups where I work are timeboxed to 15 minutes tops. Scrum/agile works a lot better when management isn't interested in wasting everyone's time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Volguus posted:

I first learned to program in 256x192 :colbert:

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, its all management deciding we need to be hip and cool. We more or less have two main dev teams and mine always gets our poo poo done before meetings - our updates take a minute apiece at most. The other team apparently only talks during these meetings. We regularly have to sit through 15-20 minute conversations between two people. Thankfully these aren't irl meetings because goddamn. Incidentally, dev team B was picked up from a dying company...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Fun game: see how many times in a standup someone says "(Let's|Can we) take this offline?" followed immediately by more discussion of the topic

On a previous (worse) team of mine, our record was something like 6-7

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Yeah, its all management deciding we need to be hip and cool. We more or less have two main dev teams and mine always gets our poo poo done before meetings - our updates take a minute apiece at most. The other team apparently only talks during these meetings. We regularly have to sit through 15-20 minute conversations between two people. Thankfully these aren't irl meetings because goddamn. Incidentally, dev team B was picked up from a dying company...

For any given meeting I will evaluate whether it is relevant to me at all, and if not I will leave. If it's stand-up I just rein in any long involved conversations. Of course, this is what people expect me to do, and only one or two people have ever gotten offended (these people are incapable of perspective and think their issue is the #1 issue for everyone no matter how true that is anyway). If you have narcissist managers who will take anything you do along those lines as a personal insult, though, I feel for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, stand-ups where I work are timeboxed to 15 minutes tops. Scrum/agile works a lot better when management isn't interested in wasting everyone's time.

We keep to 15 minutes unless something major comes up that needs to be dealt with. We also keep grooming and planning to 1.5 hrs max. None of this 4 hour bullshit.