Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Any recommendations on where to start learning Ableton? Which online courses are good?

You would probably have better luck in the Ableton thread but there are a few I have liked.

On YouTube, a company called Cymatics does a ton of free videos on Ableton and have a few introduction videos you should start with.

Also, Tom Cosm has a 10 part introduction to Ableton series that is incredibly good, but might be behind a subscription to his site. I remember it being super cheap and you can download every single video the first month and cancel if you want.

After the intro, you will probably want to find courses targeted towards one of Abletons instruments or array of effects as there are loads of these as well (Cymatics does a bunch of these).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Cool, will look into this. Thanks!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

This is incredibly out there and I don't expect a response, but does anyone know where I can get a decent quality picture of the front and back covers of The Modern Library Favorite Polkas (and maybe the table of contents?). Low quality image for context

revolther
May 27, 2008
Best I could find was ripping from the ebay result google brings up.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Besides Youtube, where can I find videos or recordings of famous chorale works that let you listen to each vocal part in isolation? Like this, except not on Youtube, because the pieces I'm looking for don't seem to be on Youtube. (For example, Ralph Vaughan Williams' Benedictus from his Mass in G Minor.)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am trying to get more into sampling and am looking for videos on different sampling techniques. I saw 9th Wonder do a Rhythm Roulette and it seemed like when he was searching records for a good sample to use, he would alternate between listening to the record played at the normal 33RPM and then speeding it up to 45RPM, which obviously pitches it up a bit. I know producers used to record at 45rpm and slow down to 33 to save space, but I was curious if it was common to actually sample a 33 record at 45rpm to get a bit of a different sound?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Speeding up funk/soul breaks is most of the foundation of jungle.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Finally a pedal that reflects my playing style.
https://reverb.com/p/dr-no-effects-turd-fuzz?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_--h_abz2AIVjIxpCh15Dw-aEAQYASABEgKWVvD_BwE&hfid=6314636
Whoops, wrong thread.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 25, 2018

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

revolther posted:

Best I could find was ripping from the ebay result google brings up.

Thank you! Now I just have to figure out how to convert them to pdf

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I'm trying to control my korg monologues sequencer with the trigger out from a tr-08. When the tr-08s trigger out is plugged into the monologues sync in one trigger will advance the sequence multiple steps. Is there a way to get one trigger to equal one step with this set up?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I'm trying to control my korg monologues sequencer with the trigger out from a tr-08. When the tr-08s trigger out is plugged into the monologues sync in one trigger will advance the sequence multiple steps. Is there a way to get one trigger to equal one step with this set up?
There's a setting on the Monologue to choose between letting the sequencer advance a sixteenth or an eighth note with each pulse. With the latter set, each pulse can advance the sequencer two steps. Page 43 of the manual. If it's not that, it could be a problem with the sync signal level being too loud. If you're specifically trying to advance the sequencer step by step, that may not be possible on the Monologue, as it doesn't advance the sequencer one step each pulse, but rather calculates a tempo and runs the sequencer synced to that. Is what the word on the street is.

But, my man, have you tried our excellent synthesizer thread?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I've been trying to learn trance music production off and on for the last few years. I started with Acid pro, but this year I moved to FL studio finally since Acid pro is basically dead. I can build up a track from samples, and use the midi roll and vsts to make chord progressions arpeggios etc, but I feel like I'm lacking some major aspect of understanding with regard to the basics of music production. I just learned how to sidechain this week, so that's been huge for me. I'll list the things I want to improve on below, and if you could point me in the direction I need to go that would be great.

I guess what I'm asking for is a magic pill of sorts, but really if there's any practicing I should be doing or tutorial I could watch that would be cool. As is, I dedicate about 1-2 hours a night to work on music, but I've mainly been focusing on getting to know fl studio and practicing mixing, sidechaining and creating transitions instead of actually making music. I've also been looking at music theory, and I have a tiny little Novation Launchkey that I can use to noodle on if needed.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What kind of trance? I'm in a psytrance phase at the moment and the way you go about producing that (in terms of sounds, effects, general 'density') is different to how I'd go about mainroom euphoric Tiesto's-version-of-Adagio-for-Strings type stuff.

The majority of four to floor dance music is, as I'm sure you're aware, about the interplay between your kick and bass- learning sidechain compression is a really good start. Eq them so they aren't both peaking at the same frequency at the same time. Lets say both are peaking at 60hz: cut one or the other a bit at that frequency. Some subtle overdrive or saturation on the bass synth can make it more 'present' even if you have cut out some of the low frequency content.

The best practice is to just make music, learning the fundamentals of a build-up is good but if done in isolation without the context of the rest of the song its a little pointless. The majority of what you (not you personally) will make will be trash, but you'll learn bits and bobs as you go, no magic pill beats experience..

There's a 'How do I make electronic music thread' that's full of good advice. Post what you got, whether its something you are proud of and want to enhance, or something that really isn't working but you don't know WHY and get some feedback.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

NonzeroCircle posted:

What kind of trance? I'm in a psytrance phase at the moment and the way you go about producing that (in terms of sounds, effects, general 'density') is different to how I'd go about mainroom euphoric Tiesto's-version-of-Adagio-for-Strings type stuff.

The majority of four to floor dance music is, as I'm sure you're aware, about the interplay between your kick and bass- learning sidechain compression is a really good start. Eq them so they aren't both peaking at the same frequency at the same time. Lets say both are peaking at 60hz: cut one or the other a bit at that frequency. Some subtle overdrive or saturation on the bass synth can make it more 'present' even if you have cut out some of the low frequency content.

The best practice is to just make music, learning the fundamentals of a build-up is good but if done in isolation without the context of the rest of the song its a little pointless. The majority of what you (not you personally) will make will be trash, but you'll learn bits and bobs as you go, no magic pill beats experience..

There's a 'How do I make electronic music thread' that's full of good advice. Post what you got, whether its something you are proud of and want to enhance, or something that really isn't working but you don't know WHY and get some feedback.

Thank you for the response! I'm mainly focusing on hard trance, specifically UK style hard trance. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible for now, since i don't have the music theory down yet for uplifting/euphoric trance. You are right though, I just need to work on some tracks, along with the other learning stuff. Thanks also for the thread tip. I'll head over there now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I know if I'm writing a song in the key of A, then 1st chord=Major, 2=Minor, 3=Minor, 4=Major, etc.

Does this apply to all scales? I've been exploring the byzantine scale recently, and if I wanted to write a song using that scale would it still be 1st degree of scale= major chord, 2nd degree of scale= minor chord, etc? Or does this only apply to the major scale?

I hope this wasn't worded too weirdly and you all can understand what I'm trying to ask.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nah I get it. I think the part you’re missing is the reason why those chords are major, minor, etc is because they’re all built from chord tones. If we’re taking A major scale, the first chord is A major because the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale are A, C#, and E, which creates a major chord.

I dunno what a Byzantine scale is, but yes, the pattern you mentioned only applies to major scales. Like, the chord pattern in a minor starts with, well, the a minor chord. You could probably figure out the chords in your scale by spelling out the notes of the scale and seeing what chords they form. Does that help?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Nah I get it. I think the part you’re missing is the reason why those chords are major, minor, etc is because they’re all built from chord tones. If we’re taking A major scale, the first chord is A major because the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale are A, C#, and E, which creates a major chord.

I dunno what a Byzantine scale is, but yes, the pattern you mentioned only applies to major scales. Like, the chord pattern in a minor starts with, well, the a minor chord. You could probably figure out the chords in your scale by spelling out the notes of the scale and seeing what chords they form. Does that help?

Definitely, that helps a lot. Thank you very much! The only other thing I would ask is do you know a good resource of where I can learn more about all this? I'm trying to work on my theory but I still find some of this whole scale-chord relationship confusing.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2018

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, that’s a good question. Like, this is the sort of stuff you learn in college music theory classes. I have a few textbooks that go over it. I’m not sure of any free internet resources that teach, essentially, Western style harmony, but I’m sure something exists somewhere. Musictheory.net exists but I think this is a little beyond its scope. If you have a local community college nearby, the music theory classes might be up your alley.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, that’s a good question. Like, this is the sort of stuff you learn in college music theory classes. I have a few textbooks that go over it. I’m not sure of any free internet resources that teach, essentially, Western style harmony, but I’m sure something exists somewhere. Musictheory.net exists but I think this is a little beyond its scope. If you have a local community college nearby, the music theory classes might be up your alley.

That's definitely something I think I'm going to look into. Thank you again for your help!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I've found this channel pretty good for easy explanations of music theory
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKiHSPstsj0silp519gt6w/featured

Relevant to your question, the free PDF they offer here https://revolutionharmony.com/books explains how chords are built in major and minor scales in a pretty easy to visualize way, you can extrapolate from that for other scales

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

That's definitely something I think I'm going to look into. Thank you again for your help!

Depending on how interested in this stuff you are I'd recommend the Laitz Complete Musician text, you can grab an older edition off Amazon for under 20$, and it's pretty easy to comprehend. I don't know your level of music training, or how comprehensive, but you could also look into Earl Henry's Fundamentals of Music Theory. It's not shabby, I use selections from it when teaching my students music fundamentals.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you both for the resources! I think I'll end up using them both. I try to get as much information as I can. A big problem I have isn't actually learning the theory itself but rather finding what to learn (if that makes sense). Since there's so much theory and it's all so interconnected it can be tough on where to start and where to go, but I'm slowly navigating. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you both for the resources! I think I'll end up using them both. I try to get as much information as I can. A big problem I have isn't actually learning the theory itself but rather finding what to learn (if that makes sense). Since there's so much theory and it's all so interconnected it can be tough on where to start and where to go, but I'm slowly navigating. Thanks everyone for your help.

Start with the Henry, and don't skip anything! It's easy to want to skip over a chapter if you assume you know the materials, and that's usually where things get missed. Most of the time when people have issues with more advanced theory or the speed of their analytical skills it's due to a gap in their fundamentals knowledge! If you have any additional questions feel free to ask!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tell me about playing wedding gigs and how they differ from corporate or bar gigs. What considerations might not occur to me doing one for the first time?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Adam Neely talks a lot about wedding gigs in his YouTube channel, might be useful for you.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Playing the bride down the aisle is the main one. Depends on how much they want you to do but you either play for everything or just for entertainment purposes after the ceremony.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Tell me about playing wedding gigs and how they differ from corporate or bar gigs. What considerations might not occur to me doing one for the first time?

What is your scope? Are you doing all of the music for the entire ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and then the dance party?

For the actual dance part of the wedding, few recommendations come to mind. Work with the bride and groom to get an idea of what music they would like to hear at the wedding. My wife and I were able to go to a website and add songs to a playlist for our DJ, marking them as must-plays, should-plays, and do not play which was really helpful. Even if you have been told to just make your own playlist, I would still try to get as much info from the bride/groom as possible on what feeling they want. Have a huge library of music and Top40 stuff for inevitable requests later in the night. I would say in general be polite with requests but don't feel bad saying no if the request is on the do not play list or is something you know would not go over well with the bride/groom.

Let us know a bit more about what you are being asked to do and I can give you some more tips.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't drink and rehearse three times as much as you normally would. Have back ups of everything vital to performing and service all your gear. You can't ruin one of the most important days of someone's life by flubbing a chord or breaking a string at a bar gig.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

What is your scope? Are you doing all of the music for the entire ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and then the dance party?

For the actual dance part of the wedding, few recommendations come to mind. Work with the bride and groom to get an idea of what music they would like to hear at the wedding. My wife and I were able to go to a website and add songs to a playlist for our DJ, marking them as must-plays, should-plays, and do not play which was really helpful. Even if you have been told to just make your own playlist, I would still try to get as much info from the bride/groom as possible on what feeling they want. Have a huge library of music and Top40 stuff for inevitable requests later in the night. I would say in general be polite with requests but don't feel bad saying no if the request is on the do not play list or is something you know would not go over well with the bride/groom.

Let us know a bit more about what you are being asked to do and I can give you some more tips.

All of this. Additionally, your primary job is to keep the dance floor as full as possible. It's easier as a DJ because you're one person and can switch songs at any point, but if you've been playing energetic/fast songs for a while and the dance floor is clearing, play a slow song and slowly build up the energy across several songs again. Group your songs together into sets, e.g. Motown, recent hits, hip hop, etc.

Check out a few wedding DJ websites and see their playlists. Here's one from a company in Chicago. Yeah, the whole line dance category is stale and played at every wedding, but people love dancing to them. http://toastandjamdjs.com/assets/uploads/general/TJSampleSonglist2017.pdf

Whatever the bride says is law. The guests aren't paying you.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Kvlt! posted:

Definitely, that helps a lot. Thank you very much! The only other thing I would ask is do you know a good resource of where I can learn more about all this? I'm trying to work on my theory but I still find some of this whole scale-chord relationship confusing.

This isn't for learning, but if you need to know real quick what chord sequences work for what scales, just use this: https://www.basicmusictheory.com/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Whatever the bride says is law. The guests aren't paying you.

The last wedding I DJed, there was an interesting twist to that, in that (context: this is in Texas) the bride loathed country music, but the bride's mother was actually footing the bill. (Oddly, the bride's father was providing the PA, since as a regularly-gigging guitarist, he knew even his "smaller" PA setup would blow the doors off anything I could rent for the purpose - and in fact, said setup was complete overkill, even for the very large room we were in, but I digress.) Said mother and father of bride were estranged, so it was touch-and-go at times, especially as the mother's faction was highly traditional (read: racist) and the groom was black.

And a brony, but I digress again.

This led to the situation where the bride advised me "do not play any country," while the bride's father advised me "her mother or one of her cousins on that side or something like is going to demand you play country...just...hold out as long as possible until you do, we don't want them to start complaining about who's actually paying you."

The ceremony music and dinner music went exactly to plan (nerdy and tasteful, respectively) and then when the dancefloor opened up, the cold war began.

I went for Love is the Drug to open, I remember that much. I've tried to keep playlists handy for the weddings I've done, but this specific one got lost, so I don't remember exactly what went on. I made polite excuses, your standard "I don't think I have that one, no" as said cousins approached and asked for Toby Keith and Rascal Flats and the like. Eventually, someone deposited their ipod on my table and indicated this playlist consisting of 100% good poo poo would no longer stand. The father gave me the nod, and I plugged it into my soundboard.

It was mostly a victory for the bride, though, as we only ended up playing two or three country tunes, and one of them was a proper slow dance number, and I'm not going to argue with a nice slow dance.

But I did end the night with Justice because gently caress it, we've got some serious speakers in here, let's make them work.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's probably not a good idea if you're in a power electronics band.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Oh! Other thing about Wedding gigs, indoor or outdoor? Might need generators on hand.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Is it possible to make a mix like it's in 360 degree surround on headphones? When I say 360, I mean make it sound like it's coming from any direction in 3D spherical space. I've discussed this with a few audio engineers, and they still aren't completely sure! I've also Googled this, and I can't find many resources. I've heard the haircut recording demonstration, which is pretty convincing to me.

One point that was brought up to me is that our ears can also tell the difference of up and down, just not the delay that determines left and right. So headphones with one output for each ear wouldn't be enough to achieve full 360 degree surround, but only stereo.

If it is possible, I'd like to know some ways of mixing to achieve this, or software used. How come I haven't seen much software to mix in 3D? I've made surround mixes that shows a circular pan with a dot in the middle, but this is still 2D, and doesn't cover up and down of course because it illustrates a typical 5.1 setup. But never mind 5.1. Shouldn't a mix be able to achieve 360 surround on ordinary headphones?

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 6, 2018

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The haircut videos are a Binaural recording, which is the best way to get a simulated 3d sound, much in the way that video games process sound. Surround sound is 5 speakers (the .1 is the sub) and achieves the same effect through air, 4 speakers positioned around you FL FR BL BR, in that way your brain can interpret where the sounds are coming from, and give you a 3d image. You can use EQ and reverb to give the effect of things that are higher, lower, closer, further in the sound stage, but its not true 3d.

This is a decent video explaining a sound stage :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHiSHioMe5A

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 6, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing to note about the 'virtual barbershop' is that it was recorded with in-ear mics that took a lot of subtle but important things naturally into play, including the cartilage (known as 'pinna') as well as each mic having a head between them to filter and reflect all sorts of audio. I'm not even sure if there's a way to specifically mix that way, unfortunately. I'm sure there are some plugins that can try and simulate it, with varying degrees of success. Recording something in a binaural way is one thing, and it'll always play back the same way; taking other audio and trying to make it sound 'binaural' is an entirely different thing altogether.

When games are truly able to do this, it will be an insane game changer. I feel like they're almost there, and there are headphones that have been kickstarted (can't remember the name) that claim to recreate this, but I really don't understand how that's possible. I would have assumed that it's all a matter of the audio processor/engine in-game, but maybe I'm totally wrong.

In tersm of plugins that can sort of do binaural, Modartt's Pianoteq has a way to place the listener's virtual ears anywhere around the piano, though I can't say I've really noticed a true 360 degree effect. Sure, the sound changes, but it's nowhere near what the barbershop recording is like.

Also, I realize that there's a whole "technically everything is binaural" :goonsay: crap, but everyone knows what I mean when I use the term.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Thanks for the info. If the barbershop recording was captured with microphones, theoretically there has to be a way to develop a mixing program to simulate this perfectly. I'm surprised it's not more common by now. It would be especially cool for electronic music, or anything for that matter. It could also sound really messed up on speakers though too, depending on your setup, but I'm sure you could balance the effect to not have it ruin the music on certain speaker setups.

On top of the 360 sound, it would also be awesome to choose to imitate the doppler effect when you automate panning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Thanks for the info. If the barbershop recording was captured with microphones, theoretically there has to be a way to develop a mixing program to simulate this perfectly. I'm surprised it's not more common by now. It would be especially cool for electronic music, or anything for that matter. It could also sound really messed up on speakers though too, depending on your setup, but I'm sure you could balance the effect to not have it ruin the music on certain speaker setups.

On top of the 360 sound, it would also be awesome to choose to imitate the doppler effect when you automate panning.

With binaural audio, it really only works if it's with headphones. Or rather, if it was recorded a certain way, then headphones are the things that will reproduce the effect. There are ways to 'fix' that for listening via speakers, but then I think that also depends on listener and speaker relative positioning. It's been a while since I've thought about all of this, so if any of this needs correcting, someone can jump in to explain it a bit more.

Also, head-related transfer function or HRTF is worth looking into: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, head-related transfer function or HRTF is worth looking into: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

This is cool. Looks like making a mix perfect would need to be collaborated for individual listeners if I went with this approach, but I'm sure it would still be effective with a happy medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've been on a similar spacial mixing kick after playing Hellblade and the issue I come across a lot is phasing when making a sound move around. Static positions 'behind' or whatever are fine but trying to do surround audio autopanning is not working for me.