Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Tom Holland is probably my favorite pop history writer because of his ability to construct a narrative out of historical facts but with only one exception his books don't really attempt to have interesting scholarly insights--they're just telling the history as a story.

Which, to be fair, is usually how you get people interested enough to actually read more scholarly works.

Unless they don't, in which case you get wehraboos and poo poo. I was reading a total war forum thread in the bath the other day because I'm a masochist, and it was basically one guy posting first-hand sources and scholarly articles about hoplite warfare vs a bunch of gamers calling him an idiot who obviously knows nothing about military history, because their view is just COMMON BASIC KNOWLEDGE (what is a series of primary sources backing up cutting-edge research compared to clocking 13 years of Rome: Total War campaigns, really??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
everyone knows the best way to win a war is to stab a bunch of farmhouses with your spears until they light on fire

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rome's primary tactic in all wars was to sic several thousand war dogs followed by a heap of flaming pigs and then the general and his bodyguard would personally chase down the survivors.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rome's primary tactic in all wars was to sic several thousand war dogs followed by a heap of flaming pigs and then the general and his bodyguard would personally chase down the survivors.

Don't forget the line artillery piece to force the enemy to charge up a hill at you.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's like a page right out of De Bello Gallico!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If a Roman general doesn't personally kill a soldier in each battle, there's a good chance he'll be labelled a coward, which has terrible effects on morale.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

sullat posted:

If a Roman general doesn't personally kill a soldier in each battle, there's a good chance he'll be labelled a coward, which has terrible effects on morale.

Wait is this still RTW mechanics, because that totally sounds like something that Romans would think.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr Enderby posted:

Wait is this still RTW mechanics, because that totally sounds like something that Romans would think.

AFAIK it's more that the general has to kill two or three dudes in one engagement, then it's "amazing true roman, you would not believe, MARS HATES HIM (buy this bread to receive his manly vigour)" for life, as long as the dude has good PR

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the highest honor a general could receive was the acknowledgement that he had personally killed the enemy general. Romans made a big deal about that one, right up until Augustus decided that maybe non-family members weren't allowed to get honored for anything ever

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The highest honor a general could actually win was the Grass Crown, which you got for rescuing an army from some perilous situation. Pliny through Wikipedia only give eight people that ever won one, plus Augustus who got his from the senate which shouldn't count, but :thatsAugustus:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The thing about killing the enemy general in single combat was the spolia opima (“rich spoils”), so called because once you killed the guy you would strip off all his poo poo and keep it, Iliad style. Then you took it to Jupiter Feretrius and dedicated it to him. It was not a common thing (there’s three recorded cases of guys who ever did it, and one of them was Romulus) but if you could do it, pretty much everyone would always remember that you were a bad rear end. However it was not a conferred decoration like the various grass/civic/mural/camp crowns. you had to take it yourself, that was really the whole point. There was some discussion about it a couple pages back.

It’s not clear whether Caesar Divi Filius was responsible for putting a stop to the practice of dedicated spolia opima. He did put a stop to the practice of triumphs as anything other than imperial privilege around the same time, specifically by blocking the triumph of Crassus the Younger until he could triumph first (he did allow Crassus to follow this up). Crassus was also possibly eligible to dedicate spolia opima, according to Cassius Dio, but did not in the event do so. The case however that Crassus intended to and Caesar shot him down is overstated, often by the school of thought that understates Caesar’s military and political dominance and looks at the senate and individual senators as a persistent threat to him. There is no evidence that Crassus ever himself claimed the right to dedicate the spolia, there is no evidence that the senate ever discussed it, and if the idea even occurred to him, he may well have judged it impolitic to pursue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm getting real mad at people saying "sea-zar" and "sis-e-ro"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

euphronius posted:

I'm getting real mad at people saying "sea-zar" and "sis-e-ro"

that's how they're pronounced in English, sorry English pronunciation doesn't match Latin for words in common

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd in all honestly stroke out in annoyance if some petty douche forced me to listen to them use OG latin pronunciations in an english talk for any period of time. If nothing else it breaks the cadence of the drat sentence.

It's like I speak french but I cannot stand people who insist on (usually badly) pronouncing "croissant" or "hors d'oeuvres" or whatever "correctly." These are widely-known english words. We are speaking english. Speak english.

E: I don't actually think I've ever heard anyone say "Keekeroh" out loud and I hope I never do, unless it's in a latin course.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 2, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rome's been dead for so long that the teaching of the history of Rome had to endure through multiple cultural shifts and the rise and fall of languages. The misconceptions that arose through that time are at this point themselves historical artifacts worthy of study, and it's worth respecting the place they've been embedded into our culture.

If you really wanna get angry at people for not respecting the original name of something Roman, come on down to Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzantium/Lygos/Augusta Antonina/Tsarigrad/Miklagard/Wulumu. It makes things weird to track, but it's what works within the context that the names were established.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How do you say croissant in English? Just cross-ANT?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

that's how they're pronounced in English, sorry English pronunciation doesn't match Latin for words in common

Mark Antony

:negative:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you don’t pronounce it IVLIVS then basically just get the gently caress out of my face

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quick pronounce "civitas"

Wrong !!!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

The Winco in Boise just calls them "crescents", neatly cutting that particular gordian knot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Let me tell you about my vacation to the island of Sikilia

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ecclesiastical pronunciation or i don't want to know you

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Crow-saunt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Muslim pasty

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Quick pronounce "civitas"

Wrong !!!

it's something adjacent to kiwi toss I think

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
kruh sahnt

I’ve yet to hear an anglophone who tries to pronounce it in french sound like anything except a cartoon skunk, and that includes places like NZ where apparently faux-french is the default name for the muslim pasty

Anglos almost overdo it a lot. It’s not croissant to them, it’s KKKHHHHHGGGGGOUAAA zannnnnnngte

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 3, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KWA san

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Кроасан. :colbert:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

kruh sahnt

I’ve yet to hear an anglophone who tries to pronounce it in french sound like anything except a cartoon skunk, and that includes places like NZ where apparently faux-french is the default name for the muslim pasty

Anglos almost overdo it a lot. It’s not croissant to them, it’s KKKHHHHHGGGGGOUAAA zannnnnnngte

How many have you heard try this, exactly

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

my dad posted:

Кроасан. :colbert:

K'pokah?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rome's been dead for so long that the teaching of the history of Rome had to endure through multiple cultural shifts and the rise and fall of languages. The misconceptions that arose through that time are at this point themselves historical artifacts worthy of study, and it's worth respecting the place they've been embedded into our culture.

If you really wanna get angry at people for not respecting the original name of something Roman, come on down to Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzantium/Lygos/Augusta Antonina/Tsarigrad/Miklagard/Wulumu. It makes things weird to track, but it's what works within the context that the names were established.

I have to say you left out the best entry from that article: 拱斯當底訥伯勒, or Gǒngsīdāngdǐnèbólēi.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wrong alphabet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

crus-aunt

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

"roll"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

aphid_licker posted:

Brēad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/sarahargodale/status/959835847183904768
I'm glad how much LIDAR is showing that ancient people's were amazing all over the place and Ancient Rome/Greece were hardly unique

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad how much LIDAR is showing that ancient people's were amazing all over the place and Ancient Rome/Greece were hardly unique

Holy god !!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I work with lidar for a living and it's really cool seeing it in the news

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Unnatural histories was a pretty fun documentary series about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

achillesforever6 posted:

What are the odds we'll be able to find more written records in these locations?