Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

They maybe, sort of.
There is a lot of incestous like sharing of employees in UK studios.
One person quits here, joins another nearby.

If Dizzy turns up in Star Citizen, I may have to buy in.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sunswipe posted:

Why Codemasters?

Good question.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

RELAY STATION: With Jake, Erris, AstroPub, and Shiver LIVE!

It's a good crew today. Bowtie looks like he's on a kids TV show called "Dr. Weather" and he's demonstrating a van der graaf generator.

Erris is showing off his shirt, the buttons are on the left.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sunswipe posted:

If Dizzy turns up in Star Citizen, I may have to buy in.

:five: good times

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I was looking at a picture in a medical textbook describing how brain cells die and one of the mechanisms has something to do with the activity of an enzyme called Poly-ADP Ribose Polymerase (aka PARP)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like PARP can lead to NAD depletion. Nasty.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sunswipe posted:

Looks like PARP can lead to NAD depletion. Nasty.

Indeed. Apparently the science behind backer behavior was established already - we just needed to learn it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Amarcarts posted:

I was looking at a picture in a medical textbook describing how brain cells die and one of the mechanisms has something to do with the activity of an enzyme called Poly-ADP Ribose Polymerase (aka PARP)

:gary:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Amarcarts posted:

"PARP cleavage"

- female player models confirmed??

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

"PARP cleavage"

- female player models confirmed??

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/rfjTX44.jpg :nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 3, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:siren: PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP :siren:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Thread is thread again.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My Marching Powder posts couldn't save us apparently.

:negative:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Maybe this is my fault.

*self-flagellates*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

Thread is thread again.

It's the best outcome anyone can hope for, really. Best, of course, being an entirely relative term.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You can cram your space game up your arse

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

nice parpers you got there!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sweater parps

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Jesus, where do I start?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

A hive of scrum and citizenry

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus, where do I start?

lmao, fair point.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus, where do I start?

*tips fedora*

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I'm unreasonably angry today, and the new thread title has just tipped me over the edge :argh:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus, where do I start?

:golfclap:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

This will go down well... :ohdear:

:homebrew:

:(

And the best response...

:dance:
Fool Citizen. No-one is buying anything, they're pledging :smuggo:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/xONez3C.gifv

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

But before I go I'm going to start a fight with someone for no apparent reason.

*throws down gloves*

That’s it. It’s on.

Ps: don’t hurt me! :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Quavers posted:

This will go down well... :ohdear:

:homebrew:

:(

And the best response...

:dance:
Fool Citizen. No-one is buying anything, they're pledging :smuggo:

Grand Admiral Octoploppy obviously doesn't understand tickle down economic development

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Thoatse posted:

My cat would have kicked that coon's rear end, he's pretty agro when it comes to this. He's not huge but he's 14lbs of zerofucksgiven and walking him on his leash is like walking a pitbull... he sees a 30lb raccoon he'll snap his leash taut pulling hard to go after them. He tree'd one the other day before I even saw it and swatted its rear end like 5 times before he got to the end of his bungee and I could pull him back lol. He also pimpslapped a big rear end possum that let out a whiny moan and ran away. Welp that's my story, thanks for listening

cool story, OG catte!

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
I still vape, I have disposable income, and I like space games. Should I just accept my fate and buy back in to SC now? Or can I afford to wait until the next GhandiBudha patch that fixes everything wrong in the Jesus patch releases? :ohdear:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DarkRefreshment posted:

I still vape, I have disposable income, and I like space games. Should I just accept my fate and buy back in to SC now? Or can I afford to wait until the next GhandiBudha patch that fixes everything wrong in the Jesus patch releases? :ohdear:

Do you have crippling socialization issues? Do you hate women? What about a disgusting hobby or fetish? Do you buy your friends with money? How do you feel about propositioning married women? Are you upset that Goons blew up your spaceship/boat/life in another MMO?

We seriously could make some kind of Backer susceptibility scale.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

On a scale from 1 to Miku...

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DarkRefreshment posted:

No rush, Roberts will be willing to take your money for a long time from now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/cXdT4Wg.gifv

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DarkRefreshment posted:

Buy Stellaris instead. Trust me, I have no stake in this recommendation. :v:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
One thing I didn’t notice until now is that Pioneer owners are granted materials to build 1 (and only 1) structure for their $850.

So will construction materials for that second outpost you want to build be purchased from CIG for cash?

Papy and Chambers talked about facilitating transactions between players but this must be limited to aUEC. Surely CIG is in no hurry to make player structure purchases obtainable via aUEC though.

But what if you want to pay a Pioneer owner to build you an outpost? aUEC?

Roberts is so giddy talking about his precious new future profit source and it’s once again embarrassing to hear him dressing it all up in game mechanic language complete with a totally authentic bureaucratic process as yet more chorework to complete an arbitrary game loop. Oh the thrills of flying across yet more vast distances to get your official Planetary Development Bureau certificate notarized and stamped!

Just imagine the enormous work sanctioned at Foundry to create an animated semblance of base construction within the Pioneer. As if some pass at verisimilitude with the Pioneer’s base-building theatrics has anything to do with gameplay at all! The real game Roberts is playing is “let’s make the whales really want to buy this ship so they can feel like big, important industrialists”.

I know it’s all routine to us. It is to me to too, yet every once in awhile it just hits me in a new way. The Mercenary mechanic was in the game from day 1; it is actually Chris Roberts core mechanic and primary game loop.

It all adds so much more color to Brian Chambers take to Batgirl about how PG came to be. Prior to that, the vision and work had been centered around landing zones. We know that Chambers sanctioned the PG experiments as a little skunkworks program that Chris was kept ignorant of. This begs the question did they fear he would thwart it, deporioritize it, or just meddle with it too early?

We also know that once it was shared with the upper ranks, it was a huge hit. I’d always assumed Chris’s first thought was “yeah! This’ll be BETTER than Braben’s because fidelity!” yet now it seems more appropriate to wonder if Chris’s excitement was less about his chance for a blow in the Frenemy Wars and more about the monetization possibilities all along.

PG was a monkey wrench happily thrown into their entire development plan. Maybe the biggest one ever. Yet the motive was surely more Mercenary than Visionary, as things Chris once claimed would be explored after launch instead became new setbacks to delay it. Potentially highly lucrative setbacks.

To watch the Roberts boys and Haddock sitting on Jetsons space couches every bit as pricey as they are tacky is annoying...

To hear them enthusiastically engage in infomercial theater using newly contrived lore crafted to legitimize a new mercenary cash grab is galling...

But that it all came about via an unsanctioned tech project they knew nothing about and did not approve of, one that upended the Roberts entire prior game architecture yet was gleefully seized upon despite the massive write-off of prior work it represented is absolutely incredible.

Of course they wanted to move Daymar from Nyx to Stanton for 3.0 — it was reclaimed salvage from all the work we’d heard so drat much about for so long!

Chris Roberts game developer logic posted:

“We might as well put that in now; it’s something even if it wasn’t planned for a PG game. We just need some more crafted work in 3.0 for launch. Yes it doesn’t make any lore sense but it will help buy us more time until we figure out how we can start monetizing all this empty space PG just gave us out of the blue via the magic of math and German engineering!”

I’m sorry to go on at length but it’s the sequence of events that really staggers me. The unsanctioned experiment that lead the happy upending of one architecture for another not because of the gameplay potential but the profit potential that really really gets me. Watching that video in the context of this one is what does it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CrazyLoon posted:

Buy Stellaris instead. Trust me, I have no stake in this recommendation. :v:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/paradox-bundle-2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010