Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, Rogue One just felt like bootleg John Williams. If it had gone for something distinct and original, I'd have given it credit for trying, but it was just regular Star Wars music, only not quite as good.

The main theme of Rogue One sounds so close to the main theme of Starcrash, which was itself bootleg Star Wars, so... that analogy is pretty apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I hope Giacchino didn't blow his chance with Rogue One, because he's probably got a good Star Wars score in him if they give him more than a week to write it next time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
R1 is probably the worst overall score of the new films but it simultaneously has one of the best tracks. TFA and TLJ scores were just unmemorable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
TFA's score really grew on me. TLJ's hasn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I seldom take much notice the music while I'm watching the movies. I'd need to listen to them in isolation to evaluate them and I don't habitually listen to film scores or soundtracks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was grinning from ear to loving ear when parts of Here They Come / TIE Fighter Attack kicked in during the Crait battle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was annoyed when that happened because I'm wondering what could have played then if Williams had been a little more creative.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps are some of William's best work. TLJ doesn't really have anything like that, except when it borrows from another film.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
The problems with most of the scoring is the same problem TLJ and TFA have; they are too derivative. John Williams can do so much better, but why would he? He's getting praise and awards anyway.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

But here's a question: What, essentially, is the difference in borrowing from another film versus simply reusing a leitmotif in the appropriate moment?

Like I'm not sure that Poe's motif cropping up when he does something rad really counts as "recycling".

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cross-Section posted:

But here's a question: What, essentially, is the difference in borrowing from another film versus simply reusing a leitmotif in the appropriate moment?

Like I'm not sure that Poe's motif cropping up when he does something rad really counts as "recycling".

When it is literally just recycling the same music with the same instrumentation it comes off a bit lazy. Compare the leitmotifs from the original trilogy and see how they are at once familiar, but more developed as the movies progress. Luke will always be associated with the Star Wars fanfare, but every time it plays, there is a variation on the theme suited to the scene at hand. It is hopeful and innocent in A New Hope, it goes dark and uncertain in Empire as Luke trains with Yoda and faces his self doubt, and when it pops up in Return of the Jedi during his reunion with the heroes aboard Home One, it feels welcoming, but sad, and more mature. When the Tie Fighter Attack music from A New Hope reappears in Return of the Jedi during the Death Star attack, it is played at a much more frantic tempo and is interlaced with other music that shifts as we move to different parts of the space battle.

The key point is that the themes develop, and no two versions of the music are ever entirely the same. This was done great in TFA as Rey's theme develops through the entire film from its curious but lonely beginning, to its dueling motif with Kylo Ren's theme during the saber fight. Both of the themes struggle to gain the upper hand, and Rey's theme takes on a much more stressful approach. In TLJ, Rey trains on a cliffside and her theme just plays as normal with no relation to her surroundings.

Poe's motif didn't even show up in TLJ which I thought was a shame since it's one of my favourite pieces from TFA. So when the Tie Fighter Attack music played during Crait, it was a clear audio/visual reference to the Death Star attack from Jedi, but there was nothing done to it to make it feel unique. It was just a straight 1:1 remake of old music. It fit the scene, but it didn't quite tell the scene. My personal theory about good music versus great music in films is that "good music will enhance a scene" while "great music can tell a scene without visuals". There's nothing in the Crait scene's music that makes me think of Crait rather than various other tracks being spliced together because they reference other scenes from previous movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

When the Tie Fighter Attack music from A New Hope reappears in Return of the Jedi during the Death Star attack, it is played at a much more frantic tempo and is interlaced with other music that shifts as we move to different parts of the space battle.
That's basically what happens in TLJ too. It's more urgent and energetic than the version in ANH and has short sections for the shots inside the Falcon with Chewie and the porgs.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Plus Poe’s motif shows up at least twice in TLJ: when he blows up the last surface gun and does that :sicknasty: power-slide through the explosion, and also during the “I’m Rey” “I know” bit at the end.

edit: Also kinda have to disagree with the “Rey’s theme does nothing in TLJ” sentiment given how hers and Luke’s “exile theme” interact in the very training scene that is mentioned, in addition to nearly every other scene they share.

There’s an interesting contrast in how the optimistic, adventurous tone of Rey’s theme mixes with the more cynical, workman-like quality of Luke’s.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 4, 2018

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The best rebel star fighter is now canon, via Poe Dameron #23. E-wing fighter, bitches! :black101:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Did they keep the laser cannon on top of the cockpit canopy?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
All you people with your wrong opinions about the Rogue One soundtrack. It was a better John Williams score than the TFA and TLJ scores actually by Williams. The Imperial Theme is totes awesome.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

All you people with your wrong opinions about the Rogue One soundtrack. It was a better John Williams score than the TFA and TLJ scores actually by Williams. The Imperial Theme is totes awesome.

Counterpoint : All three loving sucked. Even Jedi Steps and Rey's Theme are boring and entirely derivative. Like someone else said, if Rogue One's score had more than a week to cook in the oven, it'd probably have been better.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
My son likes R1's Imperial Suite better than the actual Imperial March. I almost can't blame him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

My son likes R1's Imperial Suite better than the actual Imperial March. I almost can't blame him.

it isnt bad, but Giacchino weakest stuff. it sounds like generic video game music. and he can do GREAT music, including video game music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3eRXmboC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FkuE4eS0QC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2B-zWwTcgsC4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rogue One isn't nearly as bad as his Jurassic World soundtrack. It's bad, but the Krennic theme and the Imperial themes are good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rogue One isn't nearly as bad as his Jurassic World soundtrack. It's bad, but the Krennic theme and the Imperial themes are good.

agreed, but i just kinda hated that movie. then again i prefer the books and only like the original.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o

Just a 45 second teaser, but yep, this looks like Star Wars. So I'll still be there day 1, I suppose.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teaser for Solo.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

VaultAggie posted:

The best rebel star fighter is now canon, via Poe Dameron #23. E-wing fighter, bitches! :black101:

:toot:

Hannibal Rex posted:

Did they keep the laser cannon on top of the cockpit canopy?

Unfortunately yep. Still love the E-wing, but I kinda want to see a version that ditches the unicorn gun and instead adds another gun to each wing.

Also, make them worth using in X-wing! :argh: Corran owns but they're too damned expensive for anyone else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

cptn_dr posted:

Just a 45 second teaser, but yep, this looks like Star Wars. So I'll still be there day 1, I suppose.

Shot of the star destroyer owned. Ambivalent about the rest.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Shot of Lando also owned.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VaultAggie posted:

Shot of the star destroyer owned. Ambivalent about the rest.

Pretty much my reaction. Movie is more than likely going to suck poo poo but that shot was desktop wallpaper worthy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

seems ok maybe. will wait for trailer and probably same.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Well they kept the EU plot about him going through the Imperial Acadamy to become a pilot, which is a thing.
Donald Glover as Lando is probably a terrible mis-cast, and Woody Harrison is the only other name I see. Woody's a good actor, but I'm not sure if he's a fit for this (plus he's likely to upstage the other actors because he's so much better than them). Then again, SW is all about slapstick comedy that destroys any sense of tension or tone so maybe it'd work.

I'm kidding, this will be a trainwreck.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Donald Glover is probably the one casting decision they did right, imo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The part with the Star Destroyer and the train looked cool. Reminds me of the Shadows of the Empire game.

Skoll posted:

Donald Glover is probably the one casting decision they did right, imo.

I'd honestly prefer a Lando movie. Lando does not get enough screen time in these movies.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd honestly prefer a Lando movie. Lando does not get enough screen time in these movies.

I hadn't really thought about it...but yeah, I could be on board with that. Lando was cool, but kind of a blank slate - I could see a movie about him serving a purpose.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Lando even really got his own novels or comics. He was always an aside to something else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He did get some novels, where he had a starfish droid who lit his cigarettes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, he got 3 novels very early on in the EU.

I strongly recommending following up on the author's other works because they are bat poo poo insane.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, he got 3 novels very early on in the EU.

I strongly recommending following up on the author's other works because they are bat poo poo insane.

You know, I had completely forgotten about those.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

He also has a limited series from Marvel, that's one of the better of the new comics.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This 45 seconds trailer did literally nothing to move my needle from the "cautious" position it's been in since this movie was announced. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still want a Black Hawk Downish movie about Stormtroopers, or some kind of Republic Commando Saving Private Ryan.