Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah fallout 4 already gave us prewar jet and ghouls, wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Is there a half decent randomizer for FO4 yet? We pretty much stomped Horizon into the ground, and now we want a reimagined terrain or revised building layout or something.

Pretty much a FO4 roguelike, but good?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Post poste posted:

Is there a half decent randomizer for FO4 yet? We pretty much stomped Horizon into the ground, and now we want a reimagined terrain or revised building layout or something.

Pretty much a FO4 roguelike, but good?

FROST makes a lot of substantial changes to the map, mostly by introducing a vast underground tunnel network, but also completely reworks the entire game into an incredibly unforgiving hardcore survival experience that is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Doing that sort of thing on a random basis sounds like it would be hell to implement, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah fallout 4 already gave us prewar jet and ghouls, wtf.

I mean with Jet they could have just made a pre-war drug that suspiciously is made the same but comes with a pre-war package. But they lazily just dropped Jet into the game.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

FROST makes a lot of substantial changes to the map, mostly by introducing a vast underground tunnel network, but also completely reworks the entire game into an incredibly unforgiving hardcore survival experience that is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Doing that sort of thing on a random basis sounds like it would be hell to implement, though.

Yeah, it was more of just like... moving plot coupons around, swapping interiors, maybe a different set of enemies instead of this building is always gunner, that one is always super mutants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

khy posted:

I gave her two rapid-fire auto lasers, a sentry bot head, and upgraded her legs to Voltaic so she could be a better packmule.

Honestly I'm considering making her a full Sentry Bot despite the legs not going through doors and the chassis overheating. I don't need her help in the fights I just want her as a pack mule. With all the best +carry weight options I wonder what her maximum is?

You can do full sentry with assaultron legs which is almost as fast and tough and looks hilarious.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean with Jet they could have just made a pre-war drug that suspiciously is made the same but comes with a pre-war package. But they lazily just dropped Jet into the game.

Yeah, nobody's ever made that mistake before, not even in Fallout 2 when Mrs Bishop mentions it existing before Myron was even born. :shrug:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I may be misremembering my Fallout lore but isn't Jet basically just Jenkem? I mean Jenkem itself is a hoax but the idea already exists in real life, so the fact that someone might have independently come up with the idea of sniffing poop gas in the Fallout universe before Myron isn't the craziest thing in the world. Although the fact that everyone calls it the same thing is a little weird.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I may be misremembering my Fallout lore but isn't Jet basically just Jenkem? I mean Jenkem itself is a hoax but the idea already exists in real life, so the fact that someone might have independently come up with the idea of sniffing poop gas in the Fallout universe before Myron isn't the craziest thing in the world. Although the fact that everyone calls it the same thing is a little weird.

there is an excessively complicated backstory to it about how it's actually the result of some prewar experiment to cheaply grow food that ??? something turned into amphetamines, so they fed cows with the results instead of wasting the food and ???? somehow after-war cows still have that inside them and that's why their poop is full of amphetamines.

It strikes me as the world's silliest lore hill to die on, but every modern Fallout thread comes to it.

(Pretty sure you're right in a way though, it really was just an extremely complicated way to make a Jenkem joke)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 3, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

How stable is the latest release of MO2, and where can I find it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

there is an excessively complicated backstory to it about how it's actually the result of some prewar experiment to cheaply grow food that ??? something turned into amphetamines, so they fed cows with the results instead of wasting the food and ???? somehow after-war cows still have that inside them and that's why their poop is full of amphetamines.

It strikes me as the world's silliest lore hill to die on, but every modern Fallout thread comes to it.

(Pretty sure you're right in a way though, it really was just an extremely complicated way to make a Jenkem joke)

It's a dumb thing to get hung up about. To avoid if they really should limited Jet from showing up in safes along with pipe weapons. MY IMMERSION is silly but little things like this of make me doubt all the promo PR spiel about these guys being huge fans of the franchise. Just be honest and say you really liked Fallout 3.

Also, the Creation Club hilariously is so ignored I only just found out they added more stuff the other day.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Terrorforge posted:

How stable is the latest release of MO2, and where can I find it?

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer

I'm not qualified to say how stable it is, but I've been using this with both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 with no problems.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Thanks.

Second question: did we come to a consensus on what (if any) wasteland populator type mod (WotC, NPCs travel etc) works passably with Horizon?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is there a working replacement for Shadow Boost?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29543

Hey, now I can cover the Wasteland in robots that talk like Portal turrets and Yes-Man!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

atomicgeek posted:

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer

I'm not qualified to say how stable it is, but I've been using this with both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 with no problems.

The recent huge revamp releases (the 2.x releases) are at least as stable as MO1 was before Tannin got poached by Nexus.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hey, now I can cover the Wasteland in robots that talk like Portal turrets and Yes-Man!

The robot voice that just makes Windows sounds is kind of incredible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's a dumb thing to get hung up about. To avoid if they really should limited Jet from showing up in safes along with pipe weapons. MY IMMERSION is silly but little things like this of make me doubt all the promo PR spiel about these guys being huge fans of the franchise. Just be honest and say you really liked Fallout 3.

Also, the Creation Club hilariously is so ignored I only just found out they added more stuff the other day.

Actually, pre-war pipe weapons I can sort of buy being a thing - if the country was under martial law, they probably would have suspended the 2nd amendment. People then might have started crudely putting together their own homemade weapons in response.

I mean ultimately it's just one of those "we did this for gameplay reasons" things. Not a lot of how the world works really makes any sense in Fallout 4.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Slayerjerman posted:

Stopping power is a key element to a shotgun. The kinetic force delivered is superior to smaller caliber arms.

Then on top of that, it's cone of fire makes it hard to miss your target which is why it's a great game/hunting weapon.

The AA-12 is a scary and effective weapon for good reason. But even a standard 12gauge is devastating. Rate of fire doesn't matter with like a blunderbuss where the goal is to hit your target(s) with a cloud of shrapnel.

A shotgun might be nearly the perfect weapon.

The 'cone' is terribly overrated. A 12GA 00 buckshot spread is about 18" at 25 yards. The only thing that really spreads is birdshot, and even then it's not a 45 degree cone like video games want to project. Still great, though, if you told me I could only have one gun ever it'd be a shotgun.

Slayerjerman posted:

Precisely this - Where the hell do you think they got all that scrap metal for building their shanty towns? By scrapping every police car over the course of the past 200 years, obviously. But we'll leave these boxes of sugar bombs here on this shelf perfectly preserved for 200yrs and eat the random Brahmin or roach instead...

Also, wouldn't the shockwave from the bomb (and whatever storms/weather/creatures) knocked most of poo poo off these shelves anyhow? Its really odd how some things are "preserved" scenes from pre-war, where as other things have nearly fully collapsed buildings and rubble... I find these "preserved" scenes/room more unbelievable than anything else in the game with the exception of the vault interiors. Cabot House being the number one culprit, but I guess that's what a residence would look like whilst being inhabited by immortals... they sure are good at keeping it tidy in between raider and super mutant attacks!

Dude, there are still skeletons sitting out in the open where they apparently died when the bombs dropped. On the seaside. In Boston. 200+ years ago.

Bethesda's set designers are still working in the design language of the California deserts, and don't give a single solitary gently caress.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It always REALLY bothered me that people are just leaving pre-war skeletons exactly where they were, even if they’re in a room people conduct business in. Not because of any sort of “Oh those bones would have disintegrated years ago!” type reasoning but because any normal person would have gotten rid of them as soon as they move in because leaving them there is just loving creepy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

i am tim! posted:

It always REALLY bothered me that people are just leaving pre-war skeletons exactly where they were, even if they’re in a room people conduct business in. Not because of any sort of “Oh those bones would have disintegrated years ago!” type reasoning but because any normal person would have gotten rid of them as soon as they move in because leaving them there is just loving creepy.

Drumlin Diner will forever be the biggest sign that Bethesda doesn't give a gently caress about either logic nor consistency in environmental design for Fallout.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Drumlin Diner will forever be the biggest sign that Bethesda doesn't give a gently caress about either logic nor consistency in environmental design for Fallout.

Explain

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Trudy turned that diner into a shop, except there's no sign that it's actually a home with beds or fortification, and also there's a loving skeleton just sitting in one of the booths. It's a miracle that Trudy and son manage to survive, considering that it's also a random encounter spot and generally gets attacked by raiders every other time I pass by.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That skeleton? their first and only customer.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ultra Carp

Liquid Communism posted:

The 'cone' is terribly overrated. A 12GA 00 buckshot spread is about 18" at 25 yards. The only thing that really spreads is birdshot, and even then it's not a 45 degree cone like video games want to project. Still great, though, if you told me I could only have one gun ever it'd be a shotgun.

Dude, there are still skeletons sitting out in the open where they apparently died when the bombs dropped. On the seaside. In Boston. 200+ years ago.

Bethesda's set designers are still working in the design language of the California deserts, and don't give a single solitary gently caress.

Like, even if you ignore the skeletons, the fuckin' moldy food is what really threw me out of it the last time I played 4. Does Bethesda seriously think that a goddamn ham sandwich is going to be anything but a pile of dust after being left out for a couple years, let alone 200?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like, even if you ignore the skeletons, the fuckin' moldy food is what really threw me out of it the last time I played 4. Does Bethesda seriously think that a goddamn ham sandwich is going to be anything but a pile of dust after being left out for a couple years, let alone 200?

That's the joke of the Fallout universe.

The entire setting is basically "what if the technology that 40's and 50's sci-fi schlock believed would exist 100 years later really did, but society remained exactly the same?" You have cars and vacuum cleaners powered by nuclear reactors, lasers are red and make noises, radiation makes animals more biglier and can be cleaned with a nice shower, robot helpers can take care of your baby and shave your face, and the world is annihilated at the end of World War 3.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 4, 2018

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hope you guys grabbed this when you had the chance!

quote:

DESCRIPTION

I'm releasing the mod under different name, but only with Fallout stuff this time, since other stuff is copyrighted.
I'll get it up and running today.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

What's everyone favorite ENB/weather mod combo? I'm partial to vibrant, colorful stuff but i'll take dark and moody or naturalistic. Tried Pilgrim and PRC/NAC and didn't much care for either in the long run.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh good someone else who thinks this! I thought I was crazy. Also:

- If you broker successfully between Wolfgang and Simone, and Trudy, the drug dealers just hang out outside Drumlin Diner, and they never interact with Trudy again. Imagine what kind of quests or even dialogue could be written if they treated Wolfgang and Simone like Jay and Silent Bob hanging outside of the Quick Stop in Clerks. Or, what if there were some quest where Patrick got more sick and Trudy ordered the dealers to help him out with some fetch quest or something. I don't know, anything to break up the dumb static nature of the location.
- With Trudy, Wolfgang, and Carla showing up occasionally, Drumlin Diner has three separate vendors. How is it that no one lives nearby? It's the perfect place to start defending and fortifying and living around, or even build a settlement on top of. But nope.
- Of course, also, Shandification. What do the four of them eat?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, it's supposed to be a caravan stop, so the two should get to trade for food on the regular. Still, it does not look like a trading post and it is not fortified like you would expect a trading post would be in a hostile wasteland. It's just some random diner put down by a road, decorated by Bethesda's crack team of interior designers and their love for piles of trash and hugging skeletons, and then the quest designers put some idiots in it and called it a day. Also they never met with the encounter designers so there's usually some firefight between Trudy and a bunch of rear end in a top hat raiders.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terrorforge posted:

What's everyone favorite ENB/weather mod combo? I'm partial to vibrant, colorful stuff but i'll take dark and moody or naturalistic. Tried Pilgrim and PRC/NAC and didn't much care for either in the long run.

What? NAC's entire reason for being is that it allows a significant amount of lighting, color and weather customization in game and without the use of graphics injectors.

toasterwarrior posted:

Mind you, it's supposed to be a caravan stop, so the two should get to trade for food on the regular. Still, it does not look like a trading post and it is not fortified like you would expect a trading post would be in a hostile wasteland. It's just some random diner put down by a road, decorated by Bethesda's crack team of interior designers and their love for piles of trash and hugging skeletons, and then the quest designers put some idiots in it and called it a day. Also they never met with the encounter designers so there's usually some firefight between Trudy and a bunch of rear end in a top hat raiders.

The piles of trash own because they help reduce the overall object density in the world and at times make the occlusion culling less poo poo. The vast majority of tiny incidental clutter that you see in places is just procedurally generated and tied to ground texture.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

what's the best texture mod for a loser like me who is stuck with a radeon r9 290, or in other words, an outdated gpu? I really need to squeeze as much performance as possible out of this without making it look like a PS1 game.

So far my game has been doing well enough with vanilla textures, but I know it can be better and I get the dreaded "rainbow textures" bug after 20 or so minutes into a game. Also load times get longer over time.

I downloaded the Texture Optimization Project mod but decided not to use it because it has a long and annoying installation process.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

What? NAC's entire reason for being is that it allows a significant amount of lighting, color and weather customization in game and without the use of graphics injectors.

There are limits to what can be done without an injector, and NAC is well aware of this. It has presets specifically meant to create a blank canvas for ENBs as well it's own official companion ENB. PRC is made by the same author and they recommend using NAC with it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Skeleton King posted:

what's the best texture mod for a loser like me who is stuck with a radeon r9 290, or in other words, an outdated gpu? I really need to squeeze as much performance as possible out of this without making it look like a PS1 game.

So far my game has been doing well enough with vanilla textures, but I know it can be better and I get the dreaded "rainbow textures" bug after 20 or so minutes into a game. Also load times get longer over time.

I downloaded the Texture Optimization Project mod but decided not to use it because it has a long and annoying installation process.

AMD cards have trouble reading textures in the game's .BA2 files. Your VRAM doesn't have anything to do with it and you shouldn't be running into any issues with the vanilla FO4 textures on a card with 4gb. Just extract your .BA2's and use loose textures.

Terrorforge posted:

There are limits to what can be done without an injector, and NAC is well aware of this. It has presets specifically meant to create a blank canvas for ENBs as well it's own official companion ENB. PRC is made by the same author and they recommend using NAC with it.

NAC can't do stuff like adding new shaders to the game, no, but a graphics injector can't change imagespace and weather parameters in an .ESM. NAC's companion ENB is NAC Enhancer, which isn't mandatory and is tertiary to the main mod because it was designed to allow console players to customize how their game looks.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 4, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

toasterwarrior posted:

If that ruins your immersion, consider this: none of the large buildings in the game have sensible interiors. Bethesda has no understanding of floor plans or function. You've got office buildings that are made out of corridors, hospitals where entire sections of the same floor don't connect to eachother and factories where people probably got lost and starved to death before the war.

The worst in my opinion is Corvega Assembly Plant, which is supposed to be a car factory. There is no way on earth that anything ever got manufactured in that hellish labyrinth. You can't even get a car out of the building. Bethesda must not know or care what an assembly line is, because there's no way to move cars and parts around in that building.I mean it's not hard to design a building to look like a car factory, there's pictures of them readily available. In fact, an actual factory layout would probably be much more fun in terms of gameplay since you won't get lost every few seconds.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

NAC can't do stuff like adding new shaders to the game, no, but a graphics injector can't change imagespace and weather parameters in an .ESM. NAC's companion ENB is NAC Enhancer, which isn't mandatory and is tertiary to the main mod because it was designed to allow console players to customize how their game looks.

Which is why it's standard procedure to use both an ENB and a mod like NAC. NAC is even specifically set up to allow that sort of thing so I dunno why you're acting like it's weird

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terrorforge posted:

Which is why it's standard procedure to use both an ENB and a mod like NAC. NAC is even specifically set up to allow that sort of thing so I dunno why you're acting like it's weird

I'm just confused as to what you don't like about a lighting/weather mod that allows you to change most aspects of the game's in engine lighting to look however you want on top of being compatible with any other weather/climate/lighting mods.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

If that ruins your immersion, consider this: none of the large buildings in the game have sensible interiors. Bethesda has no understanding of floor plans or function. You've got office buildings that are made out of corridors, hospitals where entire sections of the same floor don't connect to eachother and factories where people probably got lost and starved to death before the war.

The worst in my opinion is Corvega Assembly Plant, which is supposed to be a car factory. There is no way on earth that anything ever got manufactured in that hellish labyrinth. You can't even get a car out of the building. Bethesda must not know or care what an assembly line is, because there's no way to move cars and parts around in that building.I mean it's not hard to design a building to look like a car factory, there's pictures of them readily available. In fact, an actual factory layout would probably be much more fun in terms of gameplay since you won't get lost every few seconds.

Truth.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I'm just confused as to what you don't like about a lighting/weather mod that allows you to change most aspects of the game's in engine lighting to look however you want on top of being compatible with any other weather/climate/lighting mods.

Oh it was mainly PRC that didn't agree with me. That said I don't really like any of the base NAC presets either, and I don't know what I would tweak in order to produce something I do like. I'd certainly be willing to try either again if someone has tips for good settings and/or other aesthetic mods that combine well with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Small observation: Not sure if it's 1.4.8 or if it was introduced earlier, but Horizon marks my settler skills without me having to do anything but earn the settler points. So once I hit 25XP with my settler engineering skill, recipes which require Rank 1 in settler engineering are automatically unlocked.