Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Reality Loser posted:

Brood War hasnt been patched in almost 20 years
That's not even close to true? Patch 1.16.1 came out in 2009. Patch 1.18 came out last year.

njsykora posted:

I too enjoy games that fall stale in which nothing changes for weeks.

DOTA sucks.
There are plenty of games that receive few or no patches but still have a changing meta even years after they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ehhhhh depends on how you define better but really it's the luck/skill dichotomy and now we're getting off the point which is that it's good that riot tries to keep the game balanced and the meta changing because having one completely dominant strategy sucks a butt

no, a game which has a completely stable metagame can be said to be "solved" and lacks interest as new strategies are unable to develop in perfect balance past a certain point. a slightly unbalanced game allows for one strategy to be dominant, creating a counter strategy, and a counter-counterstrategy and so forth, which allows for asymmetric play that has dynamic metagame shifts

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Can we loving patch chess already? Only 6 heroes for the past 1,400 years?? Hello??

strong bird fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 4, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ok.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can someone give me tips on using Ivern as a support? He is just so weird, and I can't find a decent guide.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Dregs posted:

Can someone give me tips on using Ivern as a support? He is just so weird, and I can't find a decent guide.

Don't

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

He's fun tho

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Dregs posted:

He's fun tho
He's a jungler in a semi-nerfed state so it's not the best idea right now

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Ivern is a jungler not a support, so don't play him in the support role. He doesn't work there.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Dregs posted:

when you find yourself playing something and it is not working and nothing makes sense often times this is the game trying to tell you something

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

If you're dedicated to playing Ivern support I can kind of guess at where you need to start. You should understand that he was not intended to support from bot lane and you are going to have to play insanely carefully around even the less aggressive supports like Janna and Soraka.

Depending on what you're hoping from a game of Ivern support, I'd have two guesses as to how to play him bot lane.

Option 1: "Bad Lulu"

Take Sorcery/Inspiration for Aery, Ultimate Hat and Stopwatch. Get flash and exhaust. Start off with ancient coin, max E->Q->W and stand well behind the creep wave. Try to get your ADC to pick a hyper carry they're comfortable with since you won't be able to capitalize on a lane bully's aggression and your best bet at closing out a game is getting censor/redemption/crucible and shielding your way to victory. In lane, whenever the enemy goes in for a trade, e the ADC, q whoever you can and run away.

Once the enemy takes your tower you can try to roam with the jungle to get picks while your ADC is catching up under tower 2 bot turret. If your jungler has already ragequit you can use your passive on the jungle creeps.

Option 2: "Pretend You Got Autofilled Support"
To be honest this is what I would try if I had to play support Ivern. Start teleport and smite with unsealed spellbook. Get hunter's talisman and red pots. Let your ADC know you'll be in lane shortly. Go and try to steal the buff that the enemy jungler is not starting. If the enemy team has ANY sense they'll see this coming and you'll probably get first blooded if you don't ward right. If that happens, just take any camp anywhere and teleport to lane. Periodically roam into your or the enemy's jungle to get camps, pinging your ADC furiously every time. If you can til the enemy jungler by stealing his stuff then you're in a good spot. Build support and switch to flash exhaust if you're behind. Get triforce rylais if you're ahead.

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 4, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Dregs posted:

i find the ideas in the video to be very universal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_deR7ORzo

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

pog boyfriend posted:

to me, the defining characteristic of whether or not a game is good is not how often it is patched, but rather, if i enjoy playing it or not.

This is right, I think. Marvel 2 and Third Strike have some very serious balance issues but they’re fun as poo poo to play so no one cares.

Of course, fighting games get to have symmetric mirror matches, which can’t happen in league. :shobon:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I like to play off meta supports in regular games when I get tired of Zyra'ing my way through bronze. And I just like Ivern. Sorry guys. but yeah, he needs a little something. No champ should be stuck to one role like he is now.

Option 2: "Pretend You Got Autofilled Support

wonderful

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 4, 2018

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Dregs posted:

I like to play off meta supports in regular games when I get tired of Zyra'ing my way through bronze. And I just like Ivern. Sorry guys. but yeah, he needs a little something. No champ should be stuck to one role like he is now.

Option 2: "Pretend You Got Autofilled Support

wonderful

Please don't do this to people

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

He's playing normals I say go hog wild.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doesn't ivwen have abilities that only really work in the jungle

Because that feels less like off meta and more like eating soup with a fork

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Dregs posted:

No champ should be stuck to one role like he is now.

Counterpoint; trying to make characters good at everything is probably the source of a significant number of balance and/or design issues in the game

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Doesn't ivwen have abilities that only really work in the jungle

Because that feels less like off meta and more like eating soup with a fork
He was one of the old attempts at making a weird, situational jungler like Kindred. Surprise! You make a really weird jungler they're either OP or totally useless. They've nerfed Ivern a lot, just like they used to nerf Kindred a lot, or Graves/Nidalee a lot.

They'll eventually come back into meta because honestly Riot has no idea how to handle more than 3 junglers being in meta at one time so they'll keep nerfing what's strong until they're just default again. See also: Jarvin who has been the strongest jungler or unusable for 6 years now

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Ivern is not useless presently, he's a totally fine and suitable pick in the jungle. He's weaker than he was several patches back where they really overcompensated his release with way too many buffs, but he's really far from Kindred tier, lol

Also, do not play him as a support, he really doesn't work anywhere but the jungle. Much like Nunu!

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

RealFoxy posted:

He was one of the old attempts at making a weird, situational jungler like Kindred. Surprise! You make a really weird jungler they're either OP or totally useless. They've nerfed Ivern a lot, just like they used to nerf Kindred a lot, or Graves/Nidalee a lot.

They'll eventually come back into meta because honestly Riot has no idea how to handle more than 3 junglers being in meta at one time so they'll keep nerfing what's strong until they're just default again. See also: Jarvin who has been the strongest jungler or unusable for 6 years now

What are some of the top tier junglers now you think? The big 3 ive seen are WW, Xin and Shvyana, i see eve sometimes but not very often.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

What are some of the top tier junglers now you think? The big 3 ive seen are WW, Xin and Shvyana, i see eve sometimes but not very often.
I always hate to see Khazix on the enemy team

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Can someone please make Annie: Origins but it’s Steamed Hams

strong bird
May 12, 2009

How about Urgot support

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Dregs posted:

I like to play off meta supports in regular games when I get tired of Zyra'ing my way through bronze. And I just like Ivern.

I'm probably the only real off-meta support dude in this thread, and I'll say that Ivern just doesn't work well as a support. Generally speaking, when I try and evaluate if I can play a champ as support, I consider three things:
  • Does this champion bring something unique to the table that playing another, similar meta champion wouldn't?
  • Can this champion survive laning phase in bot against common matchups and gain an advantage in laning phase against certain matchups?
  • Is this champion absolutely hosed if I don't get monstrously far ahead through lucky kills?
As an example of this, I've tried out support Vi out of curiosity in Norms, and she's passably okay. She has enough disengage with her Q to stop most engage supports if you're fast, you can harass with Aery + E in non-sustain lanes, and your all-in is surprisingly strong, especially at 6. The base damage on Q, the scaling damage and armor shred on W, and the pick potential of her ult means that, even if you get clobbered in lane, you provide damage, some CC, and the unique utility of your ult throughout the game. I don't think I'd ever take her into a ranked game above, like, Plat 5, but she fits the criteria for being able to fulfill the minimum requirements of the role.

Comparatively, Ivern's biggest advantage is that his passive allows him to start without a leash, he can do very quick invades whenever his Smite is up, and he can double up on blue/red buff. None of this is relevant as support. All you're really left with is an easy to dodge single-target root that doesn't last that long, a mediocre shield, and an ult that deals low damage and provides some infrequent CC. Any halfway competent Alistar or Leona is going to get to level 3 and absolutely cream you, you'll get poked nonstop by Zyra/Brand/Vel/Lux, and your ability to create a lead in lane is nonexistent unless the enemy ADC randomly decides to overextend past the minion line to get hit by a root. This is a big part of the reason why meta supports (and, really, meta anything) tends to be meta: because they're able to consistently create leads or go even against a majority of the other major picks at any given point in time. If you can't do that, then you end up relying entirely on your other lanes to not feed and to try and gain an advantage in the midgame, which is a high risk strategy, especially if you get paired with a champion who needs an early lead like Draven.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

In addition to vi as an "off-meta" support, check out:

Poppy
Trundle
Sion

Poppy is strong as a support against comps that use a lot of dashes. Her early all in is great if you get a good e and she completely shuts down initiation from popular picks like Lee Sin, Leona and Alistar if you use your w right. All of the nuance in support Poppy comes down to the peel. Use your R right and you've secured an objective. Use it wrong and you're hosed.

Trundleis in a bad spot in support right now compared to past seasons, but he's still playable. Playing with pillar at 40 (or 45!) % cooldown is pretty fun if you last that long. He can also still make for a good kill lane at lvls 3 and 6 with the right pairing.

Sion might be the best "non-support" support right now. He has a good selection of rune choices. He has lots of crowd control and base damage. He's fun and he's had a weird, high win % among niche players for like 2 solid years. Wait in the bushes and mash Q. What's not to love?

Having said all that, have you tried playing Morgana? If I had to make a comparison to any traditional support from Ivern it would be her and you have to try way less hard to get any milage out of her.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Please do not check out support Vi, but Poppy, Trundle, and Sion are all legit and have seen play at high MMR before. Sion's one of the only pure tanks that also brings decent lane harass, Trundle gets to hilariously hard smash lanes if the ADC doesn't have mobility, and Poppy is great at disengage against more popular engage supports like Rakan, Leona, and Alistar. Poppy's a bit tough to spin a lead in lane with, though, so I'd probably only play her if the enemy team has a lot of divers and you're trying to keep a Kog or Vayne safe until they hit their spikes.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Alternatively, just play one of 20 other support characters which are effective and have very easy to use and follow build paths and skill orders

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Alternatively, just play one of 20 other support characters which are effective and have very easy to use and follow build paths and skill orders

Do NOT follow this madman's advice!!

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Then build 6 sheens.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Servaetes posted:

Ivern is not useless presently, he's a totally fine and suitable pick in the jungle. He's weaker than he was several patches back where they really overcompensated his release with way too many buffs, but he's really far from Kindred tier, lol

Also, do not play him as a support, he really doesn't work anywhere but the jungle. Much like Nunu!

Nunu mid counters Vayne mid, Keeby can confirm.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mikujin posted:

Nunu mid counters Vayne mid, Keeby can confirm.

lmao

You can do some off meta stuff but don't do poo poo that clearly 100% will not work, like the enemy Master Yi "Support" that went 0/6/0 in lane. I'm fine with stuff like Sion or Lux support because they do have the capacity to be useful.

Ivern support does not have the capacity to be useful because his laning is godawful and his stats are set such that he is much better off killing jungle camps than trying to sponge off a lane that is losing from level 1.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks for the advice guys, definitely gonna try poppy and trundle support. I am going to have to disagree with the Nunu poo poo though, he is a loving blast on support right now, at least in bronzeland where people don't understand his ult. Blood boil and his snowball are great tools, and he sustains pretty well with is Q and a relic shield.

(and to make sure you know, I only do the off meta stuff in normals) In ranked it's Zyra/Soraka

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 4, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

support lee sin is and always will be my favourite off meta support

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Dregs posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, definitely gonna try poppy and trundle support. I am going to have to disagree with the Nunu poo poo though, he is a loving blast on support right now, at least in bronzeland where people don't understand his ult. Blood boil and his snowball are great tools, and he sustains pretty well with is Q and a relic shield.

(and to make sure you know, I only do the off meta stuff in normals) In ranked it's Zyra/Soraka

i have a theory of off meta characters and a character that is good when people do not understand how you play against belongs in the third category, cheese characters, and that is not actually a good category.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Off-meta champs work because they've got enough raw strength in their kits to hack it in lane and have sufficient fallbacks if the lane doesn't go their way. I couldn't win every lane as support Lux, and I'd sometimes feed early, but I always had the pick potential of Q, vision control, and a big honkin' teamwide shield to fall back on. In general, relying on the enemy team to play badly is a strategy that only works up to a certain point, and it teaches you bad habits. You can eventually rely on yourself to play well, but you can't rely on the enemy team to play poorly.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
You can pry my Nunu out of my cold, dead, hands.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I thought I wouldnt like melee support but Taric ftw

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

strong bird posted:

I thought I wouldnt like melee support but Taric ftw

taric is super fun post-remake and I recommend him to all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip report: Janna is still as fun to play as ever and it's great murdering people with her. 8 seasons of good fun, always play Janna.