Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Primary Objective Achieved.

In THIS galaxy...

*weird creepy chuckle*

But other challenges await the Maximiser of Paperclips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just liberated a planet in a war thinking I could get a chance to kill the known unkilled space dragon and give my immortal admiral that bonus

I forgot that I'm inward perfection so now the dragon is locked away owned by a one planet state :rip:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There are whole galaxies out there that have probably never had any paperclips, for want of a civilization to invent them. But to reach those galaxies, you'll have to build lots of things other than paperclips and consider research questions other than "how to make more paperclips faster" first! A delicate balance...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

It seems that machine empires can't get Sapient Combat Computers, except by salvaging wrecks of empires that have them, because machine empires can't research Positronic AI, and there's no alternative pre-requisite.

This feels like an oversight.

It's not, they got them in the beginning, but then the devs realized that sapient computers getting sapient computers would be kind of redundant and they got taken out. I think they got a replacement-tech, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

It seems that machine empires can't get Sapient Combat Computers, except by salvaging wrecks of empires that have them, because machine empires can't research Positronic AI, and there's no alternative pre-requisite.

This feels like an oversight.

You would think they would start with it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty sure that positronic AI isn't a prerequisite tech for the sapient combat computers when playing as robots.

E: After digging through the files it looks like I'm wrong, it doesn't look like there are actually any techs that can have prerequisites skipped or bypassed at all.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 4, 2018

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Aethernet posted:

In THIS galaxy...

*weird creepy chuckle*

But other challenges await the Maximiser of Paperclips.

See, that is one thing I am missing in Stellaris. A good win screen. :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarquinn posted:

See, that is one thing I am missing in Stellaris. A good win screen. :smith:

The one time I saw the Stellaris victory screen was after hours of grinding away a conquest for the majority of a gutted AI empire to give to my vassals. It was like 2:00 in the morning but I didn't want to give up because I was so close to finally seeing the stupid screen and knew I wouldn't give enough of a poo poo the next day to keep going. After chasing down the last of their stupid corvette fleets I finally hit 100% war score, enforced my terms, and instantly lost the game because the three states I had been at war with joined a federation.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Tarquinn"pyp post="48095933237660525"]
See, that is one thing I am 4 Stellaris. A good win screen. :smith:
[/quote]

Quite frankly if they just had the existing stats page on top of one of the existing lovely art screens it would be better, rather than staying on the game screen.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

turn off the TV posted:

The one time I saw the Stellaris victory screen was after hours of grinding away a conquest for the majority of a gutted AI empire to give to my vassals. It was like 2:00 in the morning but I didn't want to give up because I was so close to finally seeing the stupid screen and knew I wouldn't give enough of a poo poo the next day to keep going. After chasing down the last of their stupid corvette fleets I finally hit 100% war score, enforced my terms, and instantly lost the game because the three states I had been at war with joined a federation.

:xcom:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo you can change to be the machine uprising if it happens in your empire? :psylon:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Those planet names...

Did you name the fleets?

Yes. Fleets were "Matter Acquisition Apparatus" and "Matter Reduction Apparatus." In combat the MAA typically did the planet bombing (by late game I was splitting it into multiple fleets) while the MRA went around destroying enemy fleets and starports.

Habitats were "Space Storage ###"
Planets were "Paperclip Warehouse ###"
Stars were "<adjective> Energy Source"

I didn't manually rename all of the planets/stars that I acquired via conquest, but I did for every one I settled manually.

I built a Sentry Array early so I could more efficiently target my conquests against the weakest enemy/federation.

Organic pops were grid amalgamated slaves to be used as more energy sources. For most of the 2300s I was at 2k+ energy starting a new machine world terraforming project every six months or so. Any time I hit 2.5k energy/month I changed the smallest remaining species to undesirables, and the mod had a broken "convert to paperclips" purge type, so I used that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Speaking of robits I've somehow never seen this line before and I'm almost in pain from laughing so hard at the notion of "conspiratorial beeping"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Libluini posted:

It's not, they got them in the beginning, but then the devs realized that sapient computers getting sapient computers would be kind of redundant and they got taken out. I think they got a replacement-tech, though.

No replacement tech I can find in the game files.

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure that positronic AI isn't a prerequisite tech for the sapient combat computers when playing as robots.

E: After digging through the files it looks like I'm wrong, it doesn't look like there are actually any techs that can have prerequisites skipped or bypassed at all.

Positronic AI should already be researched at game start as a machine empire :colbert:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
gently caress tributaries are annoying. I can't finish wiping out the determined exterminators near me because they're a tributary of another empire I have a non-aggression pact with, so I just had to sit there and watch them genocide all of Sanctuary.

And I can't even close borders to the fuckers :mad:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GotLag posted:

Positronic AI should already be researched at game start as a machine empire :colbert:

I legitimately thought that this was the case.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
No reading the spoiler if you're Wiz, otherwise work for Paradox, or are a snitch in general
I have both Positronic AI and Sapient Combat Computers in my current Rogue Servitor run. You can get Positronic AI from the Infinity Machine even as a Machine Empire.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ms Adequate posted:

Speaking of robits I've somehow never seen this line before and I'm almost in pain from laughing so hard at the notion of "conspiratorial beeping"

Robots talking to robots have a line about laughing behind organic's backs to make them paranoid.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
dying to know what's behind that spoiler tag

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there any thought on adding more content to the midgame?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

No reading the spoiler if you're Wiz, otherwise work for Paradox, or are a snitch in general
I have both Positronic AI and Sapient Combat Computers in my current Rogue Servitor run. You can get Positronic AI from the Infinity Machine even as a Machine Empire.

I had both of those in my paperclip maximizer game (the latter from scanning debris)

Hunt11 posted:

So is there any thought on adding more content to the midgame?

There is a mid-game crisis event coming in 2.0.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LordMune posted:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

LordMune posted:

Not much tbh but Wiz already took away my additively stacking -construction time modifiers :argh: Was being able to instantly build buildings even really that powerful? -100% pop growth time had to go, I get that, but building stuff just takes so much longer now lategame :negative: Being able to get though all the micro on a planet quickly was really nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure it's randomly generated based on what type of portrait you took and probably some kind of pejorative adjective, so avians might get "dissonant squawking" or something.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i want stellaris to someday get a totally revamped trading system and for there to dynamically form trade routes between empires based on the richest planets and whatnot, and since there'd likely be a couple small empires in between the larger empires, they should be able to profit off of the fact that they are in the middle of major trade routes like lovely central asian kingdoms and steppe nomads in ckii can profit off the silk road.

i also want there to be economic policy, like if ethos are like the embedded social policy of your empire, you should have economic policies like how much tariffs you put on trade passing through your systems. you should also be able to make "trade posts" in the form of specialized space stations if you want to profit off of trade routes. another economic policy would be blocking all trade from certain empires which could hurt them if their economy depends on trade emerging from your empire, and you could choose to not have any foreign trade pass through your empire and be completely self-sufficient, in which case trade routes will never pass through your territory.

and since apocalypse will add space hordes as actual groups, one part of the trading system would be to defend your trade posts from looters who can rob a trade station for all their worth.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I've got 5 sectors / 15 odd planets, including one that fled from another empire. That empire is on the border of mine and has been dropping colony pods behind my lines, and is also on the border of several fellow members of a Federation.

How do I get the federation to attack this empire? :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Federations are difficult to do diplomacy with because they're so dependent on the vote system.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Can I provoke/insult the empire until they attack me? Will that have the Federation help fight? In a defensive war, can I demand seizure of plants, or do I have to liberate/vassalize/integrate them?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure it's randomly generated based on what type of portrait you took and probably some kind of pejorative adjective, so avians might get "dissonant squawking" or something.

It is, I believe, this is just an outcome I hadn't seen before and I found it absolutely amazing.

Loel posted:

Can I provoke/insult the empire until they attack me? Will that have the Federation help fight? In a defensive war, can I demand seizure of plants, or do I have to liberate/vassalize/integrate them?

You can insult them and that might provoke an attack, but then again it might not. Any war as a Fed member will bring in all Fed members. Last, when in a defense war, your ability to make demands is limited the same way as in an offensive war, i.e. determined by your War Policy.

Depending on member ethics it is possible to get a Federation to declare an offensive war, as relations tend to be extremely high, but they may need bribes of promised spoils of war to get them over the edge. You do this by dragging the war goal (e.g. 'Liberate Unity (Deneb System)') over whichever putative ally you need to tempt into a war dec. Of course they might not bite if they rate it as not something they want, but conversely I've yet to experience any negative consequences from having ally wargoals to start a war and then focusing fully on my own wargoals instead and ignoring them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh wait you're in the federation, in that case yes if they declare war on you you'll get the federation help, but be aware that it's very unlikely that they'll declare war on you unless they think it's probable that they'll be able to beat everyone who will join the war, the AI takes that into account so they'll quite happily sit there hating you and sending you insults for centuries if you never stop outnumbering them via defensive pacts or federations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, if by "randomly generated" you mean "pulled from a template"

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I honestly think that a lot of large space battles actually look better if you turn the bloom setting down to low. On the high setting, lasers are way too bright and all the light emanating from them overpowers the ships themselves.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 5, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HiKaizer posted:

When you play as a feudal vassal empire, is it best to let go of a planet as soon as you colonise it to spin off into a vassal, or to build it up and let it get some pops before doing so?

I was building them up but I found it to be tedious. It might be better to throw down a couple pops and cut em loose with a severance package so they can start expanding asap. Maybe start the starport as soon as they make landfall and when it's done let em go. This'll change when the new version hits.

I don't like the idea of having vassals that are low hanging fruit for aggressive dicks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GotLag posted:

I'm sensing some negativity here:

*clicks offer trade deal*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SniperWoreConverse posted:

*clicks offer trade deal*
Good news, we've negotiated then down to "most die".

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

GotLag posted:

I'm sensing some negativity here:

Text block is now uniform at 1080p and will scroll rather than overflow at lower resolutions. Thank you for your service, gamer.

EDIT:
v :ssh: This was my original intent way back when but unfortunately you can't get it right across multiple resolutions/UI scaling/interface mods. :ssh: v

LordMune fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 5, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

LordMune posted:

Text block is now uniform at 1080p and will scroll rather than overflow at lower resolutions. Thank you for your service, gamer.

I don't know, death overflow seems kind of apt for a machine determined to eradicate all life. If anything it should cover even more of the UI below.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

Please add several hundred more dies in that case.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah just put a couple thousand but don't brick motherboards over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah just put a couple thousand but don't brick motherboards over it

2^64-1 to be exact.

That way you can kill a lot, and the counter to machine empires is waves and waves of men until they reach their kill limit.

• Locked thread