Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

Wait, what happened with EGC? :ohdear:

Yeah I don't know this story either

...I still want the amp tho

e: It looks like he paid EGC to make a custom guitar and then the people at EGC decided to make a few more of the same design for other people and he got kinda mad

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

EGC is fine it was just mildly funny that in our modern era rockstars take to Instagram to be petty and weird.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I don't know this story either

...I still want the amp tho

e: It looks like he paid EGC to make a custom guitar and then the people at EGC decided to make a few more of the same design for other people and he got kinda mad
Heck, :same: wrt that amp.

Brent being a douche-drinker is a well-documented thing. Brann is a bigger weirdo but still a fairly pleasant fella while both Troy and Bill are ridiculously stand-up guys.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

Heck, :same: wrt that amp.

Brent being a douche-drinker is a well-documented thing. Brann is a bigger weirdo but still a fairly pleasant fella while both Troy and Bill are ridiculously stand-up guys.

Can confirm Bill is chill as poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bill and Troy both seem like some of the most genuinely pleasant people in the industry.

Brent is basically me if I was famous and gave less fucks. I’m not sure if that’s a self complement or not.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To my friends in Stupid Music poo poo, I apologize if this doesn't belong but it feels like the right place for it:

It is with tremendous sorrow and grief that I write of the passing of my dear friend and pet of 15 years, Missy. The dog from the first thread, the "that dog has seen some poo poo" doggie, whom I adopted from my sister's family at 18 months and she has been with me every day since, until today. Or tomorrow, I guess, officially.

At Christmas 2016 everyone in the family could see she was changing: Loss of interest in things and people. Loss of interest in social interaction and a complete loss of how to do all her old tricks and basic obedience. Then came the incontinence and it was determined by her vet that her kidneys were failing due to old age and there was nothing that could stop it. I put her on prescription foods and NSAIDs and got her regular checkups, but she seemed unable to hear anything and no longer made eye contact with me, instead following my movement around the place by watching my feet. She stopped letting me give her meds. The kidney failure progressed until she barely ate, could no longer traverse the stairs for her walks or even walk in a straight line, and shortly after Christmas this year her hind legs gave out completely. She'd stay wherever I set her down and that was when her decline really accelerated rapidly. She became skin and bones and started getting sores from staying in the one position she wanted to be in: nose to tail, right leg under.

I knew it was bad when she went four days this week without taking food. She hadn't moved on her own in a month. She lay in her own mess and I was constantly cleaning up and providing fresh bedding and mopping the floor twice a day.

So I called the vet to schedule euthanasia for tomorrow but last night when I got home she just laid in her bed and cried and cried. It was heart-wrending. This morning when I got up, she was no better. She was inconsolable. I won't anthropomorphize her and pretend to know what she was thinking, but it was obvious she was in great pain. I called the vet again.
On my way to work I took her to the vet a day early. She cried in the car the whole way there because she couldn't move around in the passenger seat to make herself more comfortable and I couldn't help her.

The vet was waiting at the door of his clinic to take her from my arms. It was over so fast. I paid, took her blanket, left her sedated and hurried to work where I tried to distract myself with that bullshit.

But now I am home and she's not here and she never will be again.

16.5 years is a "pretty-good-run," as they say, for a dog. For me, it was way too short. I can't describe how empty this apartment feels without her here.

So here is to you, my good, good girl who had seen some poo poo. I miss you terribly.

Trump your dog:

and finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_q0VeaFGA

Rest in peace, Missy-girl, you've earned it. I'm glad you're no longer in pain. Thank you for all the great years.

Missy
October, 2001 - Feb. 1st, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So sorry Faustus 😢😢😢

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sleep tight pupper

=(

Sorry man that really sucks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

drat I didn’t expect to click on the stupid music poo poo thread and end up crying. I’m sorry dude. That’s really rough but she was a lovely dog and it sounds like she lived a good long life. Hang in there Faustus. If you need to vent or anything you know my email.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Missy
October, 2001 - Feb. 1st, 2018
gently caress man, sorry. Dogbrings something so wonderful to your le but when they go they take apiece with you that you'll never get back It's rough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no :smith: RIP Missy. I'm sure she was a sweet baby.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sorry man, seems like Missy was a great pup.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm really sorry to bring this thread down so loving hard, but she was "that dog" in the first page of the first thread and I wanted everyone to know her better; especially now. I did everything I could for her about 15 years.

My lame joke is my niece named her "Missy," but of course if I had gotten her first I would have named her "Stephanie Rae Vy."

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
It can be pretty terrible to have the sound too low as well. We played a local festival last year, as the token local band, and the venue was an indoors venue with room for about 400 listeners that was used as the punk/metal/alternative stage. During soundcheck, every amp on stage was turned to such a low volume it's a wonder the mics registered anything at all, and during the gig all audible confirmation that I was actually playing came from the monitor wedges that I would have to stand right next to at all times because they too were clocked so low that the sound drowned in drum noise if I moved even one step away.

The sound tech didn't seem like he was used to anything harder than country, because all the bands on his stage were too low.
We were really eager to see this band play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY076ho479U
As we all love their debut album and think they are one of the more promising harder bands in our country nowadays, and the sound was so low we could actually hold a casual conversation in the front row.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 2, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to have a good start of my weekend.

I too, didn't expect to check the stupid music poo poo (Mk. II) thread and found myself crying like a little kid. :cry:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
You will know that you are booked in a top notch venue when said venue has a large framed picture of the band Korn behind the bar and the best beer they have is bud light.
:negative:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm really sorry to bring this thread down so loving hard, but she was "that dog" in the first page of the first thread and I wanted everyone to know her better; especially now. I did everything I could for her about 15 years.

My lame joke is my niece named her "Missy," but of course if I had gotten her first I would have named her "Stephanie Rae Vy."

Sorry for your loss.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

That's heartbreaking, Faustus. I know the pain of losing beloved pets, and dogs are particularly tough. You'll grieve and get over it, but you'll never really get over it, if you know what I mean. Rest in peace, little doggo. Like all dogs, you were too good for this world.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
That is quite sad, Faustus. Condolences for your loss.

Also, your departed dog looks a ton like the weird dog my wife and I adopted after fostering her and her six puppies. I’ll see if I can get a picture of her, because it’s freaking me out right now that these dogs look so similar.

For stupid music poo poo: bit/synth pedals. I don’t know why it’s important for my guitar to sound like a lovely fuzzed-out Nintendo sound chip, but drat if it isn’t addictive as hell to make weird beeps and chirps.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Krustic posted:

You will know that you are booked in a top notch venue when said venue has a large framed picture of the band Korn behind the bar and the best beer they have is bud light.
:negative:

what kind of music do you play

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

A human heart posted:

what kind of music do you play

Metal. :ughh:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I know the tr00/kvlt vs radio metal debate is all dead dumb and pointless.

I like the real metal. poo poo like Immolation, Bathory, etc. loving HATE Shadows Fall, Killswitch, Ax 7XFold, etc. All that watered down over produced not too threatening garbage for satellite radio. I call those bands radio metal.

But they're straddling that line between metal and super softened radio rock, basically metal meets adult contemporary. That's just horrible. Not everything has to be bludgeoning you to death, but also you can't flash devil horns to a singer who does those inhale vocals and then there's 10 synth tracks to back up the lovely sing along chorus.

My point is Korn are legends at sucking and are not pretending to be something they're not. They're confidently nu metal. I'm only talking the first three albums. But they're classic, timeless bangers.

How was the show?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If it ain't got that pop, that zing, that ZAZZZZZ baby it's not trve cvlt.

That said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ASDdmPYfSw

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Haha nice. Like, the dudes is Disturbed can shred decently well but they just tour the world doing drugs while phoning in simple Drop D rock for however long a Disturbed set is. Then they go back to loving groupies and doing more drugs. Mudvayne does an 8-ball a night.

It's not very moving music but it sells. And somehow I respect going full on nu metal much more than that dipping your toes in the cold water crap! My opinion! Except Korn owns. Or owned up to about the year 2000. That is fact! :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hate Disturbed but I have respect for their frontman who's like super smart and was working on a career in the medical field before doing music just because he wanted to. poo poo's dope.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i have a hard time believing there's a ton of money in radio rock these days

it's a slowly dying format and the impending collapse of clear channel isn't gonna help

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i have a hard time believing there's a ton of money in radio rock these days

it's a slowly dying format and the impending collapse of clear channel isn't gonna help

no one's really picking up a guitar anymore for a number of reasons anyway

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

no one's really picking up a guitar anymore for a number of reasons anyway
:crossarms:

Like I know there are a ton of guys doing Dubstep / Vaporwave / Chill-hop, but I still see a lot of those same musicians using guitars and basses.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
People have been predicting the Imminent Death Of The Guitar since the 70s and it somehow keeps not happening. Guitar manufacturers are having problems, sure, just like every business in the world that isn't Amazon or Apple is having problems in the global nobody-has-any-loving-money crisis but the guitar itself is doing fine.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
lol did I fall through time into a harmony central discussion from 2001 or something

there's always going to be a market for music for people that don't really care about music, and that's cool yeah? not everyone is into digging deep into whatever genres (although considering how easy it is to do these days with streaming services I personally think it's inexcusably lazy)

Here also is your current update on what's cool and getting signed in death metal at the moment: bands that really, really like demilich and early gorguts, honky guitar tones, and just saying fuckit and putting a hall reverb on everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDOrfCha3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNkGupr4fg

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

fartzone_42069 posted:

I know the tr00/kvlt vs radio metal debate is all dead dumb and pointless.

I like the real metal. poo poo like Immolation, Bathory, etc. loving HATE Shadows Fall, Killswitch, Ax 7XFold, etc. All that watered down over produced not too threatening garbage for satellite radio. I call those bands radio metal.

But they're straddling that line between metal and super softened radio rock, basically metal meets adult contemporary. That's just horrible. Not everything has to be bludgeoning you to death, but also you can't flash devil horns to a singer who does those inhale vocals and then there's 10 synth tracks to back up the lovely sing along chorus.

My point is Korn are legends at sucking and are not pretending to be something they're not. They're confidently nu metal. I'm only talking the first three albums. But they're classic, timeless bangers.

How was the show?

Good. I shredded for like 20 people then got a free 32oz Bud Light and 11 dollars. I love Korn’s first 2 albums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Concatenation posted:

Here also is your current update on what's cool and getting signed in death metal at the moment: bands that really, really like demilich and early gorguts, honky guitar tones, and just saying fuckit and putting a hall reverb on everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDOrfCha3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNkGupr4fg

I can’t tell if you’re for or against those bands but ugh I love both of those albums so much.

Metal needs more thick reverb :colbert:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hate Disturbed but I have respect for their frontman who's like super smart and was working on a career in the medical field before doing music just because he wanted to. poo poo's dope.

One of the dudes from Bad Religion has a Ph.D. in biology and there was actually a Bad Religion fellowship you could get in the sciences for a while. Dunno if it's still around though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dexter from The Offspring has a PhD too hahahaha

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dexter from The Offspring has a PhD too hahahaha

You gotta keep 'em dissertated.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
So does Brian May from Queen, although that's pretty common knowledge

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

People have been predicting the Imminent Death Of The Guitar since the 70s and it somehow keeps not happening. Guitar manufacturers are having problems, sure, just like every business in the world that isn't Amazon or Apple is having problems in the global nobody-has-any-loving-money crisis but the guitar itself is doing fine.

I think it's true that fewer people pick up guitar these days, but yes, it's not going anywhere. Guitar is an incredibly versatile instrument - it's chordal, it's a drum, it can play in the lower registers, it can cry and sing. Ain't nobody replacing that, indie xylophones nonwithstanding

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

More smart music poo poo, Vic Bondi from Articles of Faith was a history professor and worked on Microsoft software.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/...earning,%20Inc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmuFAXsIA2o

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So does Brian May from Queen, although that's pretty common knowledge

And he definitely looks the part with that hair, straight Bach powdered wig hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dex_sda posted:

I think it's true that fewer people pick up guitar these days, but yes, it's not going anywhere. Guitar is an incredibly versatile instrument - it's chordal, it's a drum, it can play in the lower registers, it can cry and sing. Ain't nobody replacing that, indie xylophones nonwithstanding

It's a useful instrument and still present on songs, there just aren't GUITAR GODS on every radio station right now and thats alright