Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

I remember when that started, did it ever get lifted or did it become the new norm?

I'm at the airline that's the descendant of the airline with the "let's 410 it dude" accident. They dropped us down to 370 and that's still there.

Yeah it’s lifted, we’re cleared to 370 now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Do they actually teach high speed/altitude aerodynamics at sky west now? Last time I talked to a sky west buddy of mine about it he basically had no clue and told me they still fly speeds waaay slower than any of us are comfortable with. This was after the FAA put the limit in place. We had a single low speed incident a few years ago after which they started teaching that stuff fairly heavily in recurrent.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Do they actually teach high speed/altitude aerodynamics at sky west now? Last time I talked to a sky west buddy of mine about it he basically had no clue and told me they still fly speeds waaay slower than any of us are comfortable with. This was after the FAA put the limit in place. We had a single low speed incident a few years ago after which they started teaching that stuff fairly heavily in recurrent.

If training at some regionals is more widespread than the sample size I've heard about recently, my guess would be no.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I looked into flying corporate upon separation from the military, and every one of them had a massive inferiority complex.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xaarman posted:

I looked into flying corporate upon separation from the military, and every one of them had a massive inferiority complex.

Not me! I’m actually awesome.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

Well yeah you're awesome, you're a pilot, we're all awesome! But just for the record I am the most awesome and pilots from my airline are the best pilots around. If you doubt my/our superior awesomeness you can meet me in the crew lounge/bar/crashpad/van/urinal and I will tell you endless work stories to establish my awesomeness regardless of whether or not you want to hear them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

They did in my ground last fall.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rolo posted:

Good to know! Every other one made sure to tell me how great their life is but I could never get a job and be great like them because no one ever leaves the greatest job... and if I was looking at the airlines, I'm not cut out to be a corporate pilot anyways.

*shrugs*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ausgezeichnet posted:

while some internet bitch board screen refreshes occasionally.

APC?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

xaarman posted:

Good to know! Every other one made sure to tell me how great their life is but I could never get a job and be great like them because no one ever leaves the greatest job... and if I was looking at the airlines, I'm not cut out to be a corporate pilot anyways.

*shrugs*

It is funny to me that the common perception of corporate pilots is that if you ever worked for an airline you can’t fly corporate because of some lack of customer service skills. As if you ever fly a n airliner you lose the ability to load golf bags and get coffee, ice and papers from an underpaid line guy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you worked for an airline you might have been exposed to an empowered safety culture and can't be trusted not to upset the delicate stucture of civilization by saying 'no' to an overlord.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: never mind

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 30, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Two Kings posted:

It is funny to me that the common perception of corporate pilots is that if you ever worked for an airline you can’t fly corporate because of some lack of customer service skills. As if you ever fly a n airliner you lose the ability to load golf bags and get coffee, ice and papers from an underpaid line guy.

That's kind of the friendly spin on why corporate doesn't like to hire ex-airline, but it's really mostly about airline guys being spoiled, entitled, whiny jackasses with very rigid union-trained views on what a work day should look like.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Usually.

shame on an IGA posted:

If you worked for an airline you might have been exposed to an empowered safety culture and can't be trusted not to upset the delicate stucture of civilization by saying 'no' to an overlord.

Yeah, this.

My resume to my current job initially got poo poo-canned because the Chief Pilot saw I had airline jobs listed leading up to nine years earlier. Ignoring that I had nine years of corporate experience flying all over the world in BBJ's, G4's and THE loving AIRCRAFT THEY WERE TAKING DELIVERY OF IN TWO MONTHS. Because I had airline experience... including the airline the Chief Pilot had flown for years before. :suicide:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

They did in my ground last fall.
As a newly upgraded captain, I'm still having to "mentor" new hires into flying faster than what's filed because 1. It's not safe or actually efficient and 2. Chicago center gets irked and tells us to fly 300 or better anyway

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
In the Aviation industry, how do people look at Hawaiian Airlines? Thinking of working there as I’ve got offers available.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
How can you have an offer at Hawaiian airlines and not know about it? It's a career stop airline

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

greasyhands posted:

How can you have an offer at Hawaiian airlines and not know about it? It's a career stop airline

What you mean “career stop”?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AutisticAwl posted:

What you mean “career stop”?

At least for pilots, it means it’s good enough a job that if you get it you don’t have to worry about interviewing for another airline ever again.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oh yeah, sorry I guess this is the aviation thread and not just the pilot thread. I've got a couple of friends that are pilots there and it's a great job, but nonflying jobs I have no idea about.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
How does anyone live in freaking Honolulu on $36 an hour?

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Two Kings posted:

How does anyone live in freaking Honolulu on $36 an hour?

We don’t. We have two jobs.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What's the word on Trans State Airlines?

I literally know nothing about regionals but me and a bunch of my mil pilot buddies (all V22 guys) are getting out ranging from one year from now over the next three to four years. We're all trying to get into this juicy airline business and a few guys have offers here.

Thankfully, more airlines are valuing our "powered lift" hours as multiengine time too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
AirlinePilotCentral has a good database of regionals (and every other airline in the US) that lists bases, pay, equipment, and hiring requirements, so it's probably a good place to start looking for basic information.

If you're looking to get on with a specific major, going with their "in house" regional (Endeavor for Delta, Envoy for American, Horizon for Alaska) might be a way to get your foot in the door, but I've flown with quite a few ex-military FO's who have been picked up by Delta, Southwest, or FedEx within a few months of starting at a regional.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

....but for APC. Somehow they take shitposting to a whole new level. Try something like Pro pilot world for a much better signal to noise ratio. If you just want to talk poo poo about how the bar just got lowered or the new whipsaw or whatever go right ahead I guess.

edit: the APC forums, I mean. APC itself is pretty good if a little out of date at times

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

e.pilot posted:

I’ll give you my 500fpm climb at whatever speed that gives me and you’re going to like it. :colbert:

Yes I'm late, but that is the definition of our non-winglet A321s...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Arson Daily posted:

edit: the APC forums, I mean. APC itself is pretty good if a little out of date at times

JetCareers isn't bad either, their forums are pretty quiet sometimes but there's a other less poo poo posting that goes on.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
CFI checkride passed 8 days ago, CFII yesterday

I'm so tired of checkrides

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Can we talk about people that snore in crash pads and why it should be legal to murder them?

I can’t even drown this fat gently caress out with noise cancelling headphones what the literal gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gently insert a pair of earplugs in his nose.

He’ll either stop snoring, or die. Win/win, either way.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Of course he ends up being a really nice dude in the morning so I can’t even stay mad :argh:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Can we talk about people that snore in crash pads and why it should be legal to murder them?

I can’t even drown this fat gently caress out with noise cancelling headphones what the literal gently caress.

Have one in my pad, can't wait to get out of that room

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I’ve been told that leaving a box of breathe right strips out helps but it seems that most snorers don’t even know they’re doing it.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

I’ve been told that leaving a box of breathe right strips out helps but it seems that most snorers don’t even know they’re doing it.

Or a community CPAP. If he's a fat gently caress and snores like a legion of chainsaws, he probably has OSA.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Print out the FAA guidance for obstructive sleep apnea and put it next to him!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There needs to be an FAA snoring hotline since they got scared of sleep apnea after Colgan 3407. It'd be schadenfreude for pilots who have to deal with snoring in pilot lounges/crash pads.

Arson Daily posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

....but for APC. Somehow they take shitposting to a whole new level. Try something like Pro pilot world for a much better signal to noise ratio. If you just want to talk poo poo about how the bar just got lowered or the new whipsaw or whatever go right ahead I guess.

A 767 pilot posted a rumor about Delta adding up to 6 new focus cities to include TATL flights a few months ago, which had had quite a bit of conversation. I asked about CMH's chances, primarily for the TATL flight (it's out there CRAA and DL are talking) because I'm a big dumb aviation nerd and had my head taken off.

e- I agree about the forums there in general, though- I've looked through from time to time, especially to see what people are saying about regionals we're either partnered with/are looking to partner with and it's a war zone.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 5, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The best cure for snoring is to not be fat. I used to snore like hell before dropping all that weight and now I don't snore at all.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

EvilJoven posted:

The best cure for snoring is to not be fat. I used to snore like hell before dropping all that weight and now I don't snore at all.

the only people I know that snore are fat as gently caress

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: my four year old snores so loud I can hear it with his door closed and I’m in the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So, if I want to avoid the crash pad situation at LGA, what is the going crew rate for hotels around that area?

I may have to do 1 maybe 2 months of SC reserve. Debating for QoL what it'll cost me to just do hotels instead...