Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Is it worth changing to this card?
If you were going to PC your Citi card to anything, why not a Double Cash that gets 2% anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you were going to PC your Citi card to anything, why not a Double Cash that gets 2% anywhere?

Good call. I never thought of that, and only thought about doing a PC after I got this mailer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In a related note, Citi changed my Forward (which I didn’t use) to a ThankYou (which I definitely won’t use). If I ask them to change to a Double Cash, they can deny the request but it shouldn’t hit my credit score either way, right?

Also, I always wonder if something like this affects the “average account age” part of a credit score.

edit: According to Google, the answer is no to both.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 30, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Edit: what's this student loan card thing you guys are talking about? I'd like to get some of the better cards with larger rewards, but I'm not a big spender so reaching some of the minimum spend things can be kinda hard sometimes for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7t1szh/2018_federal_student_loan_servicer_update/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I had a Citi ThankYou card for years, before I ever really cared about the points redemption game, and I only used the points for gift cards. It was a terrible way to use my rewards, but I didn't know any better. Once I started paying attention, I realized my Thank You points weren't really worth much. I used the bulk of them towards Amazon purchases at a decent redemption rate, then switched over to the Chase world.

I still have my Citi ThankYou card, and I just got a mailer asking if I wanted to switch to the DoubleCash card. I plan to do that, though with the Chase Freedom Unlimited and the category cards I am now juggling (2 Discover cards and a Chase Freedom) and the category-specific cards I already have (for travel, groceries, etc) I doubt I would use it much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just did a balance transfer to my Citi Diamond Preferred card and apparently they are willing to send you a physical check. In other words, you can give yourself a 0% APR loan in the amount of your credit limit for just the 3% transfer fee. Weird.

Also, Bank of America's e-bill/payment system continues to be turbo garbage. Chase is so far ahead of them it's not even funny.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I have both the Citi ThankYou cards - the Preferred isn't really that great (I just got it for the signup bonus when they still had that, and will cancel the next time the fee comes around), but the Prestige has some really solid perks ($250 annual airline reimbursement and 4th night free at hotels, along with some lesser perks like they cover Global Entry and give you a PriorityPass membership) that make the $450 AF well worth it as long as you travel a couple times a year.

ThankYou points definitely aren't as good as Chase points as their partner lineup isn't quite as strong, but if you're flying internationally (especially to Asia) you can get some decent value out of some of the airline partners.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 30, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm trying to actually take stock of my credit situation since it's always been an afterthought for me because I never carry a balance, and now I'm not sure I'm getting a good deal from Chase.

My daily driver is an old Bank of America Bank Americard Rewards Card which is a basic reward point for every dollar spent. No frills and by today's rewards standards actually pretty terrible. $10k limit and 11% APR. I use it as my daily because god forbid I need to carry a balance, 11% is my lowest APR card. I've had this card for about 13 years.

I also have a Chase Freedom Card that I got when I opened a Chase Checking account 8 years ago. $4500 limit and a 25% APR. I'd rather use this daily but I only put like 2 recurring monthly bills on here on autopay and never use it because to me that APR is ludicrous considering I have perfect credit. I called Chase Support and they swear that given my credit history that's the best they can do. Yes I've checked my own credit and it's flawless.

I haven't looked at credit cards in almost a decade. Am I wrong in thinking 25% APR is highway robbery? I do want to get a better card and use it as my daily driver (maybe one of the better Chase cards?) and my first thought on the transition to that was to request a limit increase on the Freedom and try to get that APR brought down.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why do you care about APR if you never carry a balance? Just ignore it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Why do you care about APR if you never carry a balance? Just ignore it.

God forbid life happens and I have to put a large chunk of change on my card, I don't want to be paying 25% interest on it if I don't have to. Am I overthinking that?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

If you need to carry a balance due to some life issues or whatever, apply for a 0% APR card, which typically lasts for 12-18 months. Or, check out your online offers for your current cards, mine often offer 12-18 months at 0% APR, but you have to select the offer.

It sounds like you have good credit, so it doesn’t sound like you’ll have an issue getting approved for one if you need it.

Also, if you’re that concerned about this happening, boost your emergency fund so if it does happen that you need a large chunk of cash, you have that to fall back on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

God forbid life happens and I have to put a large chunk of change on my card, I don't want to be paying 25% interest on it if I don't have to. Am I overthinking that?
Assuming you have a couple of days before you have to pay for it, then...

Cacafuego posted:

If you need to carry a balance due to some life issues or whatever, apply for a 0% APR card, which typically lasts for 12-18 months. Or, check out your online offers for your current cards, mine often offer 12-18 months at 0% APR, but you have to select the offer.
...yeah you should do this.

Cacafuego posted:

Also, if you’re that concerned about this happening, boost your emergency fund so if it does happen that you need a large chunk of cash, you have that to fall back on.
Also this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

You are. Build up an emergency fund if you don't have one.

If you can't shake that mindset, though, look into getting a card with a credit union; they often have one available with low APR.

You should make sure your card isn't the old BoA rewards card where points expire though. If it is, you should product change that into one of the newer BoA ones that don't expire points (like Cash Rewards) if you can.

Look into getting a card that gives you a better return on everyday spend, too. A few of 'em out there with 2% these days, and you could always take advantage of something with a nice signup bonus if your everyday spend is high enough for it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Related to rewards, it looks like USAA stopped offering their 2.5% back on everything card :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You should still ignore the high rate. It's easy enough to apply for a balance transfer card to move it off if you need to.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fhqwhgads posted:

You're not. This is why it's really important to have a significant savings buffer.

Income/expense volatility gets people trapped into terrible debt products and fine/fee expenses all of the time and at all income levels.

You might be better off though going to your credit union and seeing what their rates are for personal lines of credit to account for that emergency expense situation. I dunno, even the lowest interest rate credit cards that I see are still 15-21%

e:fb with some better options

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 4, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

astral posted:

You are. Build up an emergency fund if you don't have one.

If you can't shake that mindset, though, look into getting a card with a credit union; they often have one available with low APR.

You should make sure your card isn't the old BoA rewards card where points expire though. If it is, you should product change that into one of the newer BoA ones that don't expire points (like Cash Rewards) if you can.

Look into getting a card that gives you a better return on everyday spend, too. A few of 'em out there with 2% these days, and you could always take advantage of something with a nice signup bonus if your everyday spend is high enough for it.

I'll have to work on changing that mindset, I know. On principle I was upset that 25% is the 'best' they can do.

It is the old BoA one where the points do expire thanks for pointing that out, I should look into upgrading that one into a better BoA care as well to keep that credit line open. I want to upgrade my Freedom card as well at some point in the near future. Ideally I'd just rather do all my daily banking with Chase so I can keep everything under one account.

Edit: I have a savings buffer and all that, it's just a mindset I need to change then.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have never paid attention to any interest rate on any credit card ever and have never paid a penny in interest or any fees/penalties. I'm sure dozens of others here will say the same, it's really not hard to anticipate and plan for most expenses. Guess what you're gonna lose your job someday. Guess what you're gonna need a new car someday. Plan accordingly.

Outside of the healthcare industry anyway, as far as I can tell any minor medical visit results in immediate bankruptcy regardless of any insurance you have or any assets you own 100% of the time.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Related to rewards, it looks like USAA stopped offering their 2.5% back on everything card :(

Alliant has theirs. 3% first year with no fee, 2.5% and $59 annual fee thereafter. No foreign transaction fees, either. Downsides: I think you need to qualify for a $10,000 credit limit to get it, and the technology behind Alliant is awful. Like pay the account, but the money doesn't free up as open credit for a couple days, even when the money to pay the card is coming from Alliant. And the customer service is outsourced to some generic credit union call center, so if there are any issues, Alliant and this call center point the finger at each other.

It's nice to have the cash back each month at a high rate, rather than points building up that I may never use effectively, but compared to Amex, Chase, and Discover, the technology and customer service are lacking. Since they tend to cut my card off every three months for a false positive on a fraud alert, unfortunately that matters a little more than it did with those other issuers, too. I'm not doing any MS on it, just regular purchases.

Edit: And since we are talking APR, this card is 11.24%, which is pretty good. I have a friend who 10 years ago anyway had (and maybe still has) a 6% fixed APR. I had to have them show me the account because I said there was absolutely no way and they had to be misinterpreting it, but there it was. I forget the lender, but I think it was a local CU. If it's the one I think it was, it looks like they are doing as low as 8.9% fixed right now on new cards. So yeah, credit unions for low APR products without needing to be targeted for an offer or get a new card.

Tewdrig fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 4, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll have to work on changing that mindset, I know. On principle I was upset that 25% is the 'best' they can do.

It is the old BoA one where the points do expire thanks for pointing that out, I should look into upgrading that one into a better BoA care as well to keep that credit line open. I want to upgrade my Freedom card as well at some point in the near future. Ideally I'd just rather do all my daily banking with Chase so I can keep everything under one account.

Edit: I have a savings buffer and all that, it's just a mindset I need to change then.

Freedom card is fine (the 5% bonus categories are pretty good at least half the time); consider opening a second Chase card instead. If your spend can meet the $4k in 3 months bonus requirement, you could snag a Chase Sapphire Preferred and get 50k bonus points (worth $500, or more than that on travel), then product change it after the first year is up so you don't have to pay an annual fee. This'd also let you get more value out of any Chase Freedom points you already have if you need to do any traveling since you can freely transfer points between Chase unlimited rewards cards.

Otherwise, the 1.5x back on everything Chase Freedom Unlimited (also comes with a spending bonus offer of usually $150 back on $500 spend) is still a step-up for non-category spending.

If you do get a CSP/CFU, make sure to have a friend or family member refer you as they'll get some extra points out of it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

astral posted:

Freedom card is fine (the 5% bonus categories are pretty good at least half the time); consider opening a second Chase card instead. If your spend can meet the $4k in 3 months bonus requirement, you could snag a Chase Sapphire Preferred and get 50k bonus points (worth $500, or more than that on travel), then product change it after the first year is up so you don't have to pay an annual fee. This'd also let you get more value out of any Chase Freedom points you already have if you need to do any traveling since you can freely transfer points between Chase unlimited rewards cards.

Otherwise, the 1.5x back on everything Chase Freedom Unlimited (also comes with a spending bonus offer of usually $150 back on $500 spend) is still a step-up for non-category spending.

If you do get a CSP/CFU, make sure to have a friend or family member refer you as they'll get some extra points out of it.

This is the direction I'm going to take. See if I can upgrade the Freedom to CFU and also get a CSP since I do plan on traveling this year. Along with upgrading the BoA card to a better cash rewards card because it's my oldest line of credit and I want to keep that going. I can meet the $4k spend in 3 months without issue for the bonus on the CSP as well.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

This is the direction I'm going to take. See if I can upgrade the Freedom to CFU and also get a CSP since I do plan on traveling this year. Along with upgrading the BoA card to a better cash rewards card because it's my oldest line of credit and I want to keep that going. I can meet the $4k spend in 3 months without issue for the bonus on the CSP as well.

Why not keep the Freedom and either apply or refer for the CFU for whatever sign-up bonus there is ($150 I think)?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
A few things:

How quickly do credit pulls show up to the card companies? I applied for a BOA card today online and didn't get an auto approve so don't know if I should apply to another one quickly or just wait. I have some car stuff coming up so can meet the spend easily that is why I am just trying to get a $150/500 bonus.

I had a Capital One card from when I was 18 through 23, always made payments, but then poo poo happened and I defaulted, this was a long time ago and it should be off my report by now, would they give me a card or no?

I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited, can I get a Chase Freedom also? It would be my 3rd Chase card in at least 2 years (the others 2 are still open and used) so I assume so, just worried about the product 'family/name'

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

A few things:

How quickly do credit pulls show up to the card companies? I applied for a BOA card today online and didn't get an auto approve so don't know if I should apply to another one quickly or just wait. I have some car stuff coming up so can meet the spend easily that is why I am just trying to get a $150/500 bonus.

I had a Capital One card from when I was 18 through 23, always made payments, but then poo poo happened and I defaulted, this was a long time ago and it should be off my report by now, would they give me a card or no?

I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited, can I get a Chase Freedom also? It would be my 3rd Chase card in at least 2 years (the others 2 are still open and used) so I assume so, just worried about the product 'family/name'

Thanks!

Pulls show immediately. You can call their application status line and, if they can't help, have them forward you to a credit analyst to see if they can speed things along: 866-224-8555

Capital one pulls all three bureaus if you apply for a card with them; I wouldn't recommend getting one of their cards unless there's an ongoing promotion like the uber/spotify and a really good signup bonus that you can take good advantage of.

You should be able to get a Chase Freedom also, yes. If you don't already have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, and meet the eligibility requirements for the spending bonus + your spend supports the higher ($4k) requirement, you might consider that as an alternative. Either way make sure to hit up a friend or family member for a referral link so they get some nice points too.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

astral posted:

Pulls show immediately. You can call their application status line and, if they can't help, have them forward you to a credit analyst to see if they can speed things along: 866-224-8555

Capital one pulls all three bureaus if you apply for a card with them; I wouldn't recommend getting one of their cards unless there's an ongoing promotion like the uber/spotify and a really good signup bonus that you can take good advantage of.

You should be able to get a Chase Freedom also, yes. If you don't already have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, and meet the eligibility requirements for the spending bonus + your spend supports the higher ($4k) requirement, you might consider that as an alternative. Either way make sure to hit up a friend or family member for a referral link so they get some nice points too.

Thanks! I'll just wait it out or call them tomorrow, I should get approved I think. I'll wait on doing anything else, I am not a 'churner' but like to sign up for a new card every year or so to get the basic $150 bonus on $500 spend. The Capital One card I was looking at and the Chase Freedom are the same offers, so if I get declined I will look at one of them. The BoA card is 1% everything, 2 and 3 for for grocery and gas stations, not great, but whatever. I already have a Discover IT that I don't use if I want rotating categories.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Let's say you do a 0% APR balance transfer and also buy $100 worth of new stuff this month, and your minimum payment is like $35. In order to avoid interest being charged on the new stuff, you'd have to pay $35 plus $100 right? It always seemed to me this was a bit unfair because part of that $35 should be allocated to the $100 worth of new stuff since the $35 is based on the balance transfer amount AND the new stuff.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Josh Lyman posted:

Let's say you do a 0% APR balance transfer and also buy $100 worth of new stuff this month, and your minimum payment is like $35. In order to avoid interest being charged on the new stuff, you'd have to pay $35 plus $100 right? It always seemed to me this was a bit unfair because part of that $35 should be allocated to the $100 worth of new stuff since the $35 is based on the balance transfer amount AND the new stuff.

You need to check the specific terms of your card, but you might not be able to avoid paying interest on that new $100 purchase at all. For a lot of cards, the balance from the balance transfer counts as carrying a balance, which means you lose the grace period for any future purchases, as in you get interest charged on day one of your purchases.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ancillary Character posted:

You need to check the specific terms of your card, but you might not be able to avoid paying interest on that new $100 purchase at all. For a lot of cards, the balance from the balance transfer counts as carrying a balance, which means you lose the grace period for any future purchases, as in you get interest charged on day one of your purchases.
Unfortunately, it seems you’re right. With Chase Freedom, it looks like even if I make a new purchase and pay it off the next day, well before that statement would close, interest would accrue on that purchase.

RIP my 5% rotating categories.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I'm interested in getting into the points/bonus hunting game, but how does applying for these cards all the time affect your credit? I was always taught that you shouldn't apply for credit cards unless you need them because it will hurt your credit?

I know having a higher amount of overall credit available is good because it lowers your utilization percentage, but don't all those pulls hurt you?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a good beginner's guide quite a few pages back that should probably be added to the OP. I think it's mostly still accurate:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I posted this in another thread for Khorne, but if anyone else wants to get into Churning and doesn't know how to start: I've made a very simple step-by-step guide on how to start Churning and how to pace your cards.

Note: This is focused on maximizing your Cashback in the first year. If you are only interested in flyer points or hotel points, then your cards might be different.

I've updated it to remove the CSR after the changes - (Chase now only allows one card from the "Sapphire Family" per person + Reduced Sign-on Bonus)

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or notices any errors.

--------------------------------------------

This past year, I’ve gotten about $3,150 cashback from credit cards bonuses and rewards alone. A nice bonus is that they are all tax-free because they are considered statement credits/rebates by the IRS (the tax benefit might be a smaller draw for most people, but still something to note).

First thing: Don’t get the Citi Doublecash or Amazon Card as your first cards if you want to Churn.

These are nice cards for long-term use, but getting them first will severely cut down on your ability to churn.

Chase has some very lucrative card bonuses, but they have a rule called the “5/24 Rule” where if you are approved for more than 5 new credit cards in 24 months (by any issuer; not just Chase) they will automatically deny you no matter how great your credit score or income is.

You want to make sure that your first 5 cards include the 2-3 lucrative Chase cards, but you don’t want your first card to be a Chase card. I’ll post a semi-quick and semi-dirty guide with steps below.

This applies to anyone who wants to start Churning, but has been issued 2 or less credit cards in the last 24 months.

Here’s a good “starter guide” for you and anyone else who wants to get into Churning but feels intimidated by the research/choices. The step-by-step guide is at the bottom.

Beginner's Tips and Step-By-Step Guide For New Churners

General Notes/Tips:

1) New inquiries and cards will lower your “average age of credit” a small bit. Churning will hurt your credit score in the short term by about 20 points or so. But it will actually greatly improve it over the long-term. The negative impacts will fade over 2-3 months.

This means that Churning can be great for anyone, but if you are planning on getting a large auto loan, a large personal loan, or a mortgage in the next 3-6 months, then you shouldn’t do much churning in the 3-6 months before you plan on applying – just to be safe.

2) A hard inquiry that results in a denied account still counts as a hard inquiry. Some banks have rules where they won’t approve a card for anyone who has 3+ hard inquiries in the last month or two.

That means you need to pace out applying for new cards. Shoot for one every 1.5 months (2 if you want to be really safe).

Related to point #2: Some banks (Bank of America, AmEx, and Chase are the big ones) will let you combine inquiries. If a bank allows you to combine inquiries, then if you apply for 2 cards in the same day, it will only count as 1 inquiry on your report.

3) You can only ever have one (1) American Express Card from the “Blue Cash” family and you can only ever get a sign-on bonus from an American Express card ONCE PER LIFETIME.

That means you should wait for a promotional bonus and apply then.

Most cards have terms for their sign-up bonuses that say you are not entitled to a bonus "if you have received one in the last 24 months." That means that you can cancel your card and get the same sign-on bonus again 2 years later.

American Express limits bonuses to once per lifetime. You can only ever get one.

Amex Blue Cash has promotions 3 or 4 times a year with “$250 cashback after you spend $1,000 in 3 months + 10% cashback (up to $200) on some random category” for a total value of $450 for one card.

Don’t apply for an Amex card for the bonus until one of those is available.

What Cards Should I Get and In What Order?

First Card: Discover IT

- No Annual Fee
- 1% Cashback on all purchases and 5% cashback on a rotating category (2% Cashback on everything and 10% on categories in the first year)
- Has “Discover Deals” available
- Discover will DOUBLE ALL CASHBACK EARNED YOUR FIRST YEAR. (:siren:)

That last point will make this an insanely lucrative card. You can realistically end up with over $1,000 in bonuses from just this one card.

There is no direct sign-up bonus; but if you sign up with a referral link (mine is below; but if you have a friend in real life that has a Discover IT you should use theirs to help them out) both people get $50 after you make your first purchase. This is DOUBLED with the first year bonus making it a $100 bonus for making just one purchase. You can ONLY get the $100 sign-on bonus if you sign up through a referral link, so don’t do it without one.

Why This Card First?

Because of the previously mentioned limits some issuers have on approving cards within a certain time-frame. You are going to want to have a “long-term” card to fill out gaps after you meet your minimum spend on other cards and are waiting 1-2 months to apply for the next card.

Additionally, with the 10% Cashback on categories this card gets during your first year, you can get $750 in cashback JUST from category spend. You can get 5 quarters in your first year with a limit of $1,500 in bonus spending each quarter.

Discover Deals

Discover offers additional cash back when you spend at certain vendors with your Discover Card.

These bonuses stack with the 10% bonus category AND are also doubled in the first year.

Last quarter the bonus category was “Home Improvement Stores and Warehouse Stores.” Additionally, there was a Discover Deal for 5% (10%) extra cashback on purchases at Samsclub.com.
Sam’s Club gift cards work at Wal-Mart stores and Wal-Mart’s website.

I used the Discover Deal and maxed out the category spend to get $1,500 in Sam’s Club Gift Cards (to use at Wal-Mart and Walmart.com) and received $300 cash back for that purchase.

20% Cash back (10% from Deal + 10% from Category) on $1,500.

Discover IT also has 15 months of 0% APR, so you can float some of the costs if you need to load up on a large category.

You can have 2 Discover IT cards (Discover will not issue you any more cards once you have 2 form them). That means that after your 1-year bonus is up… you can apply for a second card and get ANOTHER one year of double cashback.

Second Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred

- 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points ($500 Cashback or $625 if redeemed for travel) after spending $4,000 in 3 months.
- No Annual Fee for the first year.

Why This Card Second?

Because of Chase’s 5/24 Rule, Chase cards with strong sign-on bonuses need to be gotten within your first 5 cards or you will have to wait 2 years to get them. The $500 cashback is one of the largest straight rewards available.

There is nothing special or complicated about this card. Just get the bonus spend and collect the points. It’s not really worth keeping long-term unless you travel frequently.

Once you get your bonus, then send chase a secure message in your account – before your first year is up – asking them to product change this card to a Chase Sapphire (regular). This is the same card, but it has no annual fee and lower spending bonuses. You won’t be using this card again after the bonus, so this way you never have to pay the annual fee.

How Should I Apply?

- If you have a friend with this card, get them to send you a referral link. You get nothing, but they get a bonus.
- If you have a Chase Branch near you, then Chase has a promotion where they will increase the sign-on bonus to 70,000 points ($700 cashback) if you apply in branch.
- If neither of these are an option, then just go to Chase’s website and apply normally.

Third Card: Chase Freedom

- 1% CB on all Purchases and 5% CB on rotating categories
- 0% APR for 12 months
- $150 after spending $500 in 3 months.

Why This Card Third?

Chase’s 5/24 rule again…

The 5% Categories can be useful and don’t always overlap with Discover IT. It’s good to hold long-term and you want to get it in under the 5/24 rule, so that way you don’t have to wait.
Nothing complicated or fancy. Spend $500, get the bonus, and put it in a drawer until there is a good 5% category you want to use.

Fourth Card: Chase Freedom Unlimited

- 1.5% Cashback on all purchases.
- 0% APR for 12 months.
- $150 after spending $500 in 3 months.

Why This Card Fourth?

Chase 5/24 rule.

This card sucks and is only worth it for the easy bonus. Just get it out of the way to maximize your ability to collect rewards.

Fifth Card: Whatever is the Best Deal for Your Current Situation!

You’ve gotten the major ones out of the way. Pick a card that has a reward/fee structure/spend requirement that works for you.

There are no major restrictions (besides the AmEx issues mentioned at the top) for other card issuers. Just do what you want and remember to wait about 2 months between applications to keep the flow going.
tl;dr: hard pulls aren't that bad if you have good credit already and aren't planning on buying a house in the next 6-12 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2018

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

If you do a balance transfer to a card with a promotional rate you should not use the card for other purchases. It depends on the specifics of the program but you will end up paying interest either on the single purchase for that month, or on it until the entire balance transfer is paid off.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hey,

If this is better off in another thread let me know, but I’ve never had a credit card before and I’ve been considering looking into one. I know well enough that it’s just a tool to spend money you already have, and I would be paying it off at the end of each month. In fact, I don’t think I’d change my spending habits at all.

I’m mainly interested in one in order help tide me over between paychecks- I’ve had to take from my savings more frequently than I’d like lately. Additionally, the rewards seem appealing and of course I need to build credit.

I was looking at the amazon rewards Visa card in the OP since I have amazon prime and the rewards seem solid. Is that a good card to start with, for my situation? Am I making a terrible decision in general?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

proctorbot posted:

I'm interested in getting into the points/bonus hunting game, but how does applying for these cards all the time affect your credit? I was always taught that you shouldn't apply for credit cards unless you need them because it will hurt your credit?

I know having a higher amount of overall credit available is good because it lowers your utilization percentage, but don't all those pulls hurt you?

New cards influences your credit in a few ways.
  • Applying for credit results in a hard credit pull. Each has a small impact on your score and they don't affect it for very long. These only really become an issue for people who are heavily churning because if you have too many you may no longer get automatically approved by a card issuer. Unless you're doing things like buying and reselling gift cards to meet minimum spend requirements you don't need to worry much about these.
  • Average age of accounts. This is the bigger factor by far, it makes up a big portion of your credit score and opening new accounts can decrease it by a lot very quickly. But because it's an average it has less of an impact the more cards you have. If you have a single card open then opening a second reduces your average age of accounts by half as soon as you open it. Opening a third reduces that again by another 1/3. But if you have 19 cards open then opening a 20th only reduces your average age of accounts by 5%.
  • Available credit is a positive factor, opening a new card typically gives you more available credit and helps your score.
  • Percentage of on time payments is another positive factor. Making more on time payments will reduce the impact of any late ones, but this only matters if you don't have 100% on time payments already. Opening a new card won't immediately affect this, but it will help it improve faster.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Hey,

If this is better off in another thread let me know, but I’ve never had a credit card before and I’ve been considering looking into one. I know well enough that it’s just a tool to spend money you already have, and I would be paying it off at the end of each month. In fact, I don’t think I’d change my spending habits at all.

I’m mainly interested in one in order help tide me over between paychecks- I’ve had to take from my savings more frequently than I’d like lately. Additionally, the rewards seem appealing and of course I need to build credit.

I was looking at the amazon rewards Visa card in the OP since I have amazon prime and the rewards seem solid. Is that a good card to start with, for my situation? Am I making a terrible decision in general?

You absolutely should have enough of a buffer in liquid cash that you don't need a credit card to get you between paychecks. I make sure at the start of a month that my checking account has 2 months worth of expenses in it. You can consider the second month part of your emergency fund or not, but it should not be the entirety of your emergency fund.

That said using your credit card for normal expenses and paying it off in full every month is exactly how you should use a credit card. The Amazon card is great assuming that you use Amazon a lot, which is a pretty safe assumption for just about everyone these days.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Just bit the bullet and got the CSR. For my complaining about a 25% APR on the Freedom, I got a 12% APR on the CSR, go figure. Don't carry a balance, doesn't matter I know. The guy I sat down with cautioned me against also applying for the CFU at the same time, just to be safe. No big deal, I'll wait a few months before adding that in. I can hit the $4k spend in 3 months pretty easily, especially if I can clear half of that just filing my taxes and paying for it on the card.

To show how little I ever used the Freedom card, when I handed it and my license to the guy at the bank, the first thing he said was "You know your name is misspelled on your card, right?" I never noticed that because I basically never pulled it out of my wallet. My name is correct in the system, at least, just not on my card.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Nevermind

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 23, 2018

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I'm pretty decent at keeping track of my deadlines, credit card renewals (and any annual fees attached) and sign-up bonuses, but today I discovered I was 1k short of my Delta Amex Gold sign-up bonus minimum spend. I have until the 18th to post 1k worth of purchases, or I miss the 50k mile sign-up bonus. I was floored, how did I gently caress this up?!

This little anecdote is a reminder to you wonderful goons out there, keep an eye on the calendar and your spending minimums. Don't sign up for an amazing card and fumble the ball and miss out on the reason you signed up in the first place!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to venmo my girlfriend $1200 and eat the $40 or so worth of fees. Try that?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

VorpalBunny posted:

I'm pretty decent at keeping track of my deadlines, credit card renewals (and any annual fees attached) and sign-up bonuses, but today I discovered I was 1k short of my Delta Amex Gold sign-up bonus minimum spend. I have until the 18th to post 1k worth of purchases, or I miss the 50k mile sign-up bonus. I was floored, how did I gently caress this up?!

This little anecdote is a reminder to you wonderful goons out there, keep an eye on the calendar and your spending minimums. Don't sign up for an amazing card and fumble the ball and miss out on the reason you signed up in the first place!

Do what the goon said above or use something like Plastiq to pay a large bill on your credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
You could always spend $1k on Amazon GC, or a gas station or grocery store you frequent. Use them up over the next few months.