Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Seriously, though, didn't we have goon testers on the dom5 beta telling Illwinter about poo poo like this? Or did the devs glaze over that report/listen to the pubbies?
hello yes they responded to these changes primarily by making their infrastructure only cheaper where it's more useful, and hardcoding that in, at least for the moment. Dryads and revellers are slightly more expensive but the faction as a whole is still out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hello friends I bring you news from the exciting world of Late Stage Capitalism. A while back self-identified idiot jsoh thought a couple of us were staling for reasons that remain mysterious and it prompted this in the server thread:

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Late Stage Capitalismirony.or.death was playing Lemuria, which is presently in a a rough place, and is unlikely to last the year. The replacement player should expect a challenge with impossible odds, but massive respect if they should turn this situation around.

Slaan posted:

He has myself (Agartha), Pan and Van on him with only his capital and I think 1 other, forted, province. When he says impossible, he means it.

The situation today will be no surprise to many of you:

and his farewell message:

But this post isn't just about how great I am and how silly it is to imagine you can take me out quickly just because I don't have any land or stuff - I realized we have a lot of newish players in this game who got suckered into doing a very stupid thing and now that they're all dead or hosed off I thought I would share some words to help them make better decisions in the future.

So your neighbor's a skeleton: the winner's guide to being in a game with an ermor

The most important thing you can do is not start next to them. This might sound like bullshit advice but it's not unique to the domkill nations; it is also very important to not start next to, say, Mictlan or Nief or Ragha.

If you gently caress that step up, you might panic and decide that what you should do next is form a grand coalition to destroy the ermor ASAP. This is a Bad Decision. Your early game grand coalition is going to collapse into backstabbing, infighting, or other priorities before you can seal the deal. Every time.

Even if you could pull off an early kill, however, here's the thing: it is going to cost you the game. Your first war is about profit. You do not profit from killing an ermor early game, because all of their taxpayers are dead. All of the people who got step 1 right are turning a profit while you are pouring gold into a giant hole in the ground. Now, obviously this sucks for whoever the ermor picks on first. See the previous note about Mictlans.

So what can you do? Treat your undead neighbors just like you would a fellow flesh cage. Reach out in friendship, coordinate military activities to stomp a mutual neighbor, all that good early game alliance stuff. Your ermor is so used to being hunted and hounded that they will value this friendship and will be responsive to requests like "please do not build a wall of temples on our border so that my taxpayers do not all die." Proceed with your midgame plans as normal. If the ermor looks like it is going to keep pace with you into the lategame, that is okay!

See, it's actually much easier and more profitable to kill an ermor late game than early game. All that freespawn that overwhelms your troops early on is easily cleared out by some wither bones. The gem income that is your only spoil of war can be directly translated into real power, instead of collecting dust while you look morosely at your empty coffers as you would in the early to mid game.

"But what about Burden of Time?" you might be wondering. That was a good question and a real concern in earlier versions of Dominions. Now, however, it is more expensive to cast and dispel is more attainable - and this is one of the only actions an ermor can take that will let you share the pain with more distant neighbors. Remember, you're a winner, so something that hurts everyone is much less bad than a war that only hurts you. In fact, there's a pretty good chance that some of those more distant neighbors will be part of a collective dispel effort since they will be completely unable to muster a military solution quickly enough. You might even come out of this ahead. This isn't universal, of course, and if you've really got a suicide bomb ermor on your hands and a nation full of old human mages you might not have any choice other than total war - just remember to keep the big picture in mind.

"Okay, but this still sounds like bullshit why don't we just keep banning them?" is a pretty natural followup at this point. That is of course what you should do, and I have no idea what possessed you to sign up for a game that didn't follow this policy. We're trying to make the best of your mistake here.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 4, 2018

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's a good post and should be in the OP.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

"Okay, but this still sounds like bullshit why don't we just keep banning them?" is a pretty natural followup at this point. That is of course what you should do, and I have no idea what possessed you to sign up for a game that didn't follow this policy. We're trying to make the best of your mistake here.

Important part

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

So how do you save orders so you can give them to multiple commanders?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
put your cursor on a commanders orders and hit control+n. then hit n with your cursor over another commanders orders to apply them

control+s to view commander orders from the army setup screen

This and other exciting commands can be seen by pressing ? on any screen of the game practically

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well I was fine in the game and turning things back around once I got fire arrows up. But having Ragha jump on me too made it impossible. Ragha should have let me deal with the ghosts so he wouldn't have to. I stated at the start of the game I was willing to screw myself long term to control lemuria, so I knew what I was getting into

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I just wish Illwinter would balance their goddamn poo poo, because all of my favorite nations are either unplayably broken or banned.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Exhibit A:

Slaan posted:

I stated at the start of the game I was willing to screw myself long term to control lemuria, so I knew what I was getting into

Not a winner.

I mean if you are a person who just really loves kingmaking in multiplayer games that's cool and you do you, but you should not be the least bit surprised when someone else decides they can use all your stuff better than you can so they decide to take it from you.

Also if that's your thing you should probably be playing Solium Infernum, it looks cool and I want it to have a big enough playerbase that I can actually check it out someday.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I bought it but the only multiplayer game I ever found died horribly

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, I bought Dom5 after a hiatus when dom4 came our because I didn't have money, so it's been a few years. I've seen some of the ui improvements and inclusions of stuff like commander points, holy points, the overhauled bless system, and the research queue. Those are all very nice but I don't know what changed for the different factions, and I hardly remember them anyways, so is there a dom5 wiki that has a rundown of factions strengths and weaknesses?

Also, I played a couple games against the AI to get used to the game again and I had a strong idea of what I was doing for the first year or so, but as soon as I needed to transition to mid-game, I was floundering. I suppose I need to pour over spells so I can get an idea of how to leverage them for midgame?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chakan posted:

is there a dom5 wiki that has a rundown of factions strengths and weaknesses?

hahahahha

documentation is against the spirit of the game. if u want to learn how to play a faction ask in discord

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There was one for Dom3!! and the guides were easily 40% correct for the current version. Maybe instead of playing I'll write down my first impressions of each faction and call it a wiki.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Need to expand the popkiller guide to include loudly advocating and fearmongering for an alliance against the popkiller, then not doing anything yourself.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
get enough one sentence reviews together and you have yourself the definitive font of knowledge.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So the internet at my hotel doesn't work so I can't do mo money turns until Sunday. Sorry, I'll take the stales as punishment unless someone wants to sub a couple times

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chakan posted:

There was one for Dom3!! and the guides were easily 40% correct for the current version. Maybe instead of playing I'll write down my first impressions of each faction and call it a wiki.

youre only allowed to do this if all your impressions are purely from playing the single player game and fall apart under even the slightest critical examination, or ideally even before that

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Slaan posted:

So the internet at my hotel doesn't work so I can't do mo money turns until Sunday. Sorry, I'll take the stales as punishment unless someone wants to sub a couple times

Nevermind, got it functioning

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

quite stretched out posted:

youre only allowed to do this if all your impressions are purely from playing the single player game and fall apart under even the slightest critical examination, or ideally even before that

Just various permutations of this for every single nation http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31148

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

This is what I do in Hearthstone, so I imagine it's the same here.

Are there any LPs I could read through? I looked around and didn't see any, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

e: I will put the monolith in jail.

ee: holy poo poo this thread is insane. Thank you.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 6, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chakan posted:

So is there a dom5 wiki that has a rundown of factions strengths and weaknesses?

This exists, but it's pretty dubious because some of the guides are clearly made by people who never did mp.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So the best strategy is still to just build Jotuns in your capital for several years, right?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just various permutations of this for every single nation http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31148

Hey, stop posting my strategy!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm trying to set up a game on snek.earth, but when I click "Games" I get a blank page with the message "Whoops, looks like something went wrong."

Anyone else have this problem?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Dirk the Average posted:

So the best strategy is still to just build Jotuns in your capital for several years, right?

twelve years a jotun

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Someone needs to mod in a magical realism nation where turtling in a single province for 100 years works, national spells that let you flood the world with the tears of a virgin who's husband dies on her wedding day.

Edit: Basically everything in this article: https://www.theonion.com/u-n-report-on-magical-realism-warns-of-increased-incid-1819576470

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 7, 2018

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
:siren: ANOTHER NEWBIE GAME?! :siren:

Yes, fellow new/bad players. With the MA newbie game over and the LA newbie game starting to slip, it is, of course, time for an EA game.

Enter EA Sports: A Newbie Game!

- 10 players, Throne Victory (throne ratio tbd)
- Cataclysm @ 69
- Pangaea more like Bangaea (Pan is banned)
- Map: something from the brilliant Cartographic Revision

Current Signups:

1.) boho - Mictlan
2.) gonadic io - NOT MICTLAN YOU CANT TAKE THIS FROM ME
3.) @Kremath - Lanka
4.) Normal Adult Human - Ulm
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)

TO SIGN UP

1.) Go to the Discord: https://discord.gg/76tSHZv
2.) In any channel, type:

quote:

!register <your chosen nation here> ea-sports-a-newbie-game
3.) Wait as I struggle through hosting my first game
4.) eventually play gaem

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Can you extend the MoMoneyLate timer a day? It's 2 hours till it turns and I think MF_James might have gotten hit by work irl

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

boho posted:

TO SIGN UP

1.) Go to the Discord: https://discord.gg/76tSHZv
2.) In any channel, type:
3.) Wait as I struggle through hosting my first game
4.) eventually play gaem

5.) Fail horribly
6.) Spite the bastard that killed you
7.) Go AI

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ramc posted:

Can you extend the MoMoneyLate timer a day? It's 2 hours till it turns and I think MF_James might have gotten hit by work irl

I did, I got hit by a big dickwork

Absum
May 28, 2013

Warcrimes is over and I now have a 100% winrate in Dominions 5 until one of the other two games I'm in is over because I'm not gonna win those.

Graphs:

I can never be arsed to do an actual post-mortem but while Sceleria has been nerfed with indie priests no longer reanimating you can still make lots of skeleton if people leave you alone for a while. Jsoh bragging about condors and me wussing out on the dogpile are probably what won me the game.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I’m going to be playing Ragha in a newbie game, still in its first year. Heat 1, Productivity 2, DORMANT Earth Snek. Earth 7, physical resistance bless. They’ve been recruiting the cheapest mages and dumping everything into a griffin stack at the capital. No research plan set. Map seems big, with lots of room for the number of nations. Any tips?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

avoraciopoctules posted:

I’m going to be playing Ragha in a newbie game, still in its first year. Heat 1, Productivity 2, DORMANT Earth Snek. Earth 7, physical resistance bless. They’ve been recruiting the cheapest mages and dumping everything into a griffin stack at the capital. No research plan set. Map seems big, with lots of room for the number of nations. Any tips?

wtf dormant earth snake?

Zheydens are loving killer, the whole dormant earth snake is loving weird but whatever, just build birds and some idiots with shields, put the birds on hold attack rear (I'd run a SP test game to gently caress around, using the same pretender/scales, and figure out how many birds can kill x y and z) and shield guys on hold attack closest and put them in front of the birds.

Basically your expansion army should be birds with a blesser in the middle of their stack in the very back, and idiots with shields (if you have no shield idiots, get the cheapest idiots you can) like a few spaces in front of them.

Your ideal situations will be, indies go after idiot shield guys with arrows and walk slowly at them, before indies get to your idiot blockers the birds attack rear line (commanders) and kill them, army routes.

as for magic, you probably want to get some evocation + conj 2 (I think it's 2, phoenix power) so you can shoot fire balls and/or lightning at people if they come at you, also recruit the biggest mages you can from your cap once you can afford it. Past that osmeone can probably give you a better/more detailed thing

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks! Yeah, I boggled at the god a bit too. I hear that attack rear got patched back to Dom4 levels of reliable, but I think you’re right that those flying lance infantry could be pretty useful. It looks like my existing mages don’t have fire or air over 1, so it’s probably time to shift to recruiting the bigger Turan mages. At least the blood will let me Sabbath into more magepower for bigger spells...

Gonna take a couple turns of griffins and make that one expansion force, and then transition into birdspears plus hotshields like you suggested for a while so I can spend more gold on mages and forts/labs.

I hope the host didn’t leave renaming off.. I saw someone mention that it’s set to 2 extra starting provinces, so who knows what other weirdness is waiting.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

avoraciopoctules posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I boggled at the god a bit too. I hear that attack rear got patched back to Dom4 levels of reliable, but I think you’re right that those flying lance infantry could be pretty useful. It looks like my existing mages don’t have fire or air over 1, so it’s probably time to shift to recruiting the bigger Turan mages. At least the blood will let me Sabbath into more magepower for bigger spells...

Gonna take a couple turns of griffins and make that one expansion force, and then transition into birdspears plus hotshields like you suggested for a while so I can spend more gold on mages and forts/labs.

I hope the host didn’t leave renaming off.. I saw someone mention that it’s set to 2 extra starting provinces, so who knows what other weirdness is waiting.

Sorry, by birds I meant zheydins, they wreck poo poo, though generally you use a regen bless on them, I assume the earth bless won't be bad either. I forgot about their caelum flying lance guys, but I'd definitely recruit the zheydins or whatever they're called, they are loving beasts.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I just won dom5newbiegame as Nazca!

STRATEGY
My pretender “Hands in the Ayar”…the Ayar:

I went for a natural protection and fire shield bless. This helped me expand early game by letting my pretender solo expand. Later on, it helped my sacreds get beefier when I was rolling around with sacred doomstacks.
My sacred workhorse:

The Supaya was my main sacred, as the ethereal+fireshield+protection was a potent combination. More importantly however, I could get some for free every turn. My cap only mage, who cost 800 a pop, could summon 2 a turn for free. With a Nazcan item however, which costs only 5 fire gems at construction level 4, they could summon 4 a turn. By midgame I was pushing out about 80 a turn. When my other cap only mage, a holy 3 flying leader, was given items to gain undead leadership, I could transport these giant sacred doomstacks quickly with a guaranteed bless.
My sacreds were nice and all, but not what won me the game. What actually won me the game was these miserable birbs:

The reason why is any time one of my default commanders died, they became one of these:

Each Malqui can gather some hatuc rana for the cost of a little population. By games end, I had over 31 of them in a single province. It dropped the population of this province from over 20000 to 8000. But in return, I was getting over 300 free birbs a turn by the end of the game.

This ludicrous freespawn generation is what won the game. Be sure to check out the army size graph at the end.
TIMELINE
So this was starting position. After about a year I barely had more than my cap circle. I actually had my first expansion attempt fail, and then a second one failed which my pretender barely survived. At around this point, I swore a forever friendship with Jotunheim (to my south). We decided to gang up on Asphodel together (to the west).

By the end of the second year, Asphodel was gone. I got the throne and Jotunheim the capital. At this point, Man (to my east) and I decided to go to war. I had an advantage, as Man’s two advantages of arrows and lightning are countered by flying. We had a couple of hell battles, but then Jotunheim swooped in and distracted Man.

I ended up defeating Man together with Jotun. Also apparently Xibalba to my north just demolished Pangea?? At this point it was Ryleh, Xibalba, Jotun, Bandar Log, and me. Ryleh was loving around underwater, so Bandar, Jotun, and I ganged up on Xibalba. Because I had a bunch of flying guys, I snagged a shitton of land.

At this point, I tried going for Ryleh, but they froze the ocean, so I only grabbed some meager land possesions. I started going for Bandar, and then Jotun declared war on me. At one point Jotun got 10/11 throne points needed to win! It was a really hard fight, I even lost my pretender god at one point. Luckily I could grind my opponents down with my hordes of freespawn, and eventually could cap 6 points of thrones at the end to win it.

EXTRAS
Near the beginning of the game I came across a magic site that gave me 3 blood slaves a turn. I ended up breaking into blood a bit with help from Jotun. I had “RIP Tupac” casting ritual of the five gates every turn to summon demons to augment my forces:

GRAPHS

One point of growth OP

I was using most of my researchers to summon free spawn, so I had low research

look at the free spawn #'s and despair

Flying holy3 mages let me get that instant spike at the end

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2018

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Alright, MF_James, cool. Thanks again for clarifying. Then this should be pretty straightforward! The bless is worthless until my god wakes up, but griffin dudes are plenty badass enough without it. 7 or 8 with infantry support should make for easy expansion armies,and I’ll try to get second fort up when I can afford it without shorting myself on elite troops.

BTW, for anyone else who has that pack of pregen early age gods, you should absolutely try playing INDOOR SUMMER HOOPS as EA Agartha. Ancient One dunk squads won me my last game, it was nuts.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Normal Adult Human posted:

hi this is the post where i recruit people to play the 14+ player game on l0ki/lowkey's THE PANKOR SYSTEM map as depicted below.  

This game will be direct connect, hosted on the snek.earth servers.  To register you MUST connect to the discord https://discord.gg/F495kSZ
Once you're in, !register [nationname] pankor to secure your spot.  Once we're full  the server will go into upload mode.

BANNED Ermor, Pangaea
Players: 14+
Required ascension points 14, or 2/3 of thrones to win.
Thrones 14 at 7x1 4x2 2x3
Renaming 1
unlimited artifact forging
Cataclysm starts on turn 69

I'm still in the land of Dominions 3 but drat, that map alone makes me want to upgrade.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
please note that royal mallqui cant actually make 4 supayas a turn with a huaca headdress. in dom4 when nazca was added to the game they could do that but somehow it was decided that this was too strong so instead they summon 3 at a time with a huaca headdress and they just never changed the tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Nice write up. I'm getting ideas for whenever I get trounced in my current game (lmao).