Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
speaking of writers who have received prominent praise from the LRB

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n05/ian-sansom/build-your-cabin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I subscribe to LRB and the Paris Review because they do a twofer discount. The Paris Review's print magazine isn't all that interesting nowadays, but their archives and current online content are well worth the price of admission. I also subscribe to Harper's—like the LRB, they split their focus on literature with lengthy and often excellent essays on history and current events by people who know what the hell they're talking about.

I love the Times Literary Supplement and the NYRB, and sometimes stop at a certain local art museum just because they carry it in their reading room, but their subscriptions are too expensive for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
maybe I'm too pedestrian but if I subscribe to something for book reviews I want it mostly to be book reviews

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

maybe I'm too pedestrian but if I subscribe to something for book reviews I want it mostly to be book reviews

LRB's essays are always responding to and criticizing books under review. As for Harper's, I'm ok w/ it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

at the date posted:

LRB's essays are always responding to and criticizing books under review. As for Harper's, I'm ok w/ it.

Oh, by all means, I am not saying I think what LRB et al. is bad. If I were interested more in synthesis of philosophy, contemporary events, and lit, I would read it cover to cover.

I just primarily subscribe to book review periodicals because I am trying to figure out what to buy this week

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh, by all means, I am not saying I think what LRB et al. is bad. If I were interested more in synthesis of philosophy, contemporary events, and lit, I would read it cover to cover.

I just primarily subscribe to book review periodicals because I am trying to figure out what to buy this week

IMO you'd be fine browsing the culture sections week to week. Also, find a good critic you enjoy and buy his or her book and work from there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Boatswain posted:

IMO you'd be fine browsing the culture sections week to week. Also, find a good critic you enjoy and buy his or her book and work from there.

I'm not looking for advice on how to find books but thanks

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Sorry, I confused you with the guy asking about periodicals.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

hackbunny posted:

I have no friends and I must read

same

my primary sources of literature are this thread and 1800's frontier era journals

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

speaking of writers who have received prominent praise from the LRB

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n05/ian-sansom/build-your-cabin

please don't post pictures of disgusting lizard men in this thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my monitor is on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that guy looks gross and weird and has an awful cranium. i am uncomfortable even thinking about it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know what Victor Pelevin's signature looks like, I noticed what could be a signature in my copy of Babylon but its in latin script so I'm not sure if it's really him or if someone has just written his name and a date in there

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

please don't post pictures of disgusting lizard men in this thread

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I dreamt there was a netflix series of ulysses. the theme tune was a string quartet, and it took liberties with the source material, but won critical praise. That was my dream

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

new aphex twin looking good

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

I dreamt there was a netflix series of ulysses. the theme tune was a string quartet, and it took liberties with the source material, but won critical praise. That was my dream

Did you know that there's a film adaptation of Finnegans Wake http://www.ubu.com/film/bute_fw.html

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I need to get my hands on that 7 hour adaptation of Satantango

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
here's a good list by an American: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/59274-the-20-best-books-in-translation-you-ve-never-read.html

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

A human heart posted:

Does anyone know what Victor Pelevin's signature looks like, I noticed what could be a signature in my copy of Babylon but its in latin script so I'm not sure if it's really him or if someone has just written his name and a date in there

(but he obviously could sign an English edition of his book in Latin script)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

(but he obviously could sign an English edition of his book in Latin script)

That actually does look kind of similar even though the script is different, ty

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

His Master's Voice is an extremely cool book

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It was cooler when I thought it was going to remain ambiguous as to whether the message was even a message at all but it's still cool

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CestMoi posted:

It was cooler when I thought it was going to remain ambiguous as to whether the message was even a message at all but it's still cool

I liked the bits where he described the Lord of the Flies, some crazy physical substance that attracts flies for some reason. Lem owns when he just describes gooey fibrous stuff. He does it in a way that I don't think can be represented visually, there's too many contradictions in the way he talks about matter that wouldn't work if you try to directly visualize it.

Right now I'm reading Fiasco, which also owns.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 4, 2018

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Supposedly 4321 is really good and I need to build myself up for 700 pages of Auster

It's good but the first hundred or so pages can be a bit of a slog as a near-identical story is repeated four times.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

near-identical story is repeated four times.

Its cool, i've read Roth before

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I liked the bits where he described the Lord of the Flies, some crazy physical substance that attracts flies for some reason. Lem owns when he just describes gooey fibrous stuff. He does it in a way that I don't think can be represented visually, there's too many contradictions in the way he talks about matter that wouldn't work if you try to directly visualize it.

Right now I'm reading Fiasco, which also owns.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I realise a lot of the interesting ideas can only happen in a story where the message from space is unequivocally a message and a story where it's more about scientists projecting a desire for meaning on potentially meaningless noise would only have that one thing about it and probably wouldn't hold together nearly as well as His Master's Voice does but I still want to read that book unless it's written by a regular sci fi idiot and not a good sci fi idiot

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CestMoi posted:

Yeah the more I think about it the more I realise a lot of the interesting ideas can only happen in a story where the message from space is unequivocally a message and a story where it's more about scientists projecting a desire for meaning on potentially meaningless noise would only have that one thing about it and probably wouldn't hold together nearly as well as His Master's Voice does but I still want to read that book unless it's written by a regular sci fi idiot and not a good sci fi idiot

I'm writing my thesis about it. I think the issue in most of Lem's stories is not so much whether the message is sent by someone or not, but that the way in which something is measured directly affects the measured thing (intra-action). The reason Lord of the Flies is made is that they are unable to distinguish between form and content (they speculate about how some parts of the message may be purely formal, punctuation marks of sorts, or whether it all has some specific content), so they artificially choose some part of it and synthesize what they think its content might be. It's about how indeterminacy is fundamental to all signs and that all measurements (or all readings of a text) inevitably produce a measuring effect by collapsing the indeterminacy of the sign into a contingent single meaning.

My take on sci fi is that it's a great genre but that it's so far only had one significant author.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 4, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

And of course conceiving of it in another, more unidirectional way automatically presupposes a sender whose originary meaning is uncovered through measurement, like reading a text to find the author's meaning preceding the text.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
OK, so I have a book by Lem with Futurological Congress, Observation on the Spot and Peace on Earth. I think I read them when I was 15 or smth, and I remember liking The Futurological Congress, but more because of ideas than anything else. Which one's worth re-reading, since I don't recall practically anything in any of them?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

OK, so I have a book by Lem with Futurological Congress, Observation on the Spot and Peace on Earth. I think I read them when I was 15 or smth, and I remember liking The Futurological Congress, but more because of ideas than anything else. Which one's worth re-reading, since I don't recall practically anything in any of them?

Futurological Congress is fun but not my favorite, it has that absurd bureaucratic nightmare atmosphere like you find in the movie Brazil, but I prefer the more realistic novels. Honestly if you can find Solaris somewhere that's probably the best one to read first.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Pride and Prejudice at 200: is it time for a video game?

quote:

The Regency society that Jane Austen wrote about was effectively a highly codified mechanism: a game system. Just like in a role-playing adventure, where certain "classes" of enemies can only be effectively fought after the required power-ups have been discovered, Austen's heroines faced a rigidly hierarchical environment in which every interaction was governed by status. Social engagements were arranged via calling cards, and elaborate rituals of acceptance and avoidance were developed to ensure everyone knew their place. Making friends and potential marriage partners was a question of understanding the etiquette – the game system – and playing effectively.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, I've read Solaris (along with some Tichy short stories and the Magellan's Cloud around the same time, I think), but I re-read that one like 5 years ago, that's why I asked about these three... and now I think I only read the Futurological COngress from them, so I guess the question answers itself, as I'll just get to the second novel in that collection, sorry for bothering you, everyone!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Someone hasn't played Marrying Mr. Darcy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Lem's Fiasco. It's great. Lem is a poet of inanimate matter.

What do you guys think will succeed the novel form as a literary vehicle? Most 21st century novels feel anachronistic to me. Probably my favorite book I read written after 2000 or so has been Remainder by McCarthy, but it feels like a lot of the form of the novel in that book is no longer needed, like it functions great as a novel of ideas expressed in a symbolic form, but a lot of the narrative feels a little tacked on purely to adapt it into a publishable form. Things like a plot, a protagonist (the protagonist is nameless because really, you're actively discouraged to identify with him, so why have a protagonist at all?), a beginning and resolution. This is a conversation I have a lot with professors but none of them ever even hint at a good answer to what should come after the novel. I have no idea either except that it should somehow be less focused on the actions of an individual, and have a great focus on the inanimate, on non-living processes.

Homestuck.

The answer's Homestuck, right?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the novel as form will superseded by:

1) ritualized food riots
2) competitive final sign offs from mass media
3) tone poems from the singing of the stressed steel beams of burnt out skyscrapers
4) grateful and eternal silence

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The novel of the future will be blockchain

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Burning Rain posted:

Peace on Earth and Observation on the Spot are standalone Tichy novels - they're good but they're the type of Lem books where he's having fun with tons of made up alien life forms with fake names that serve as elaborate metaphors so you have to be in the mood for that. They're not the type of straight novel that only uses sci-fi as an excuse to set up a concept like His Master's Voice or Fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

just read 'invisible cities' and i've realised: it's good