Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
If nothing else, I can at least say this is one of the most creative visual novels I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, the endings get crazier.

Sort of busy this month and next, but I'll try to get something out this weekend. Technically I'm free this weekend but I'm getting Odyssey so that's probably a wash.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

hah take your time. I can see this game causing hard burnout.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Etrian Odyssey or Mario Odyssey? Both of these coming out at the same time is kinda confusing. Whoa Suzu, you're giving me some vibes of a few sci fi stories I've read.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Mario Odyssey. I was considering grabbing EO5 but I'd already placed my preorder for my Odyssey switch so I'll wait an Atlus sale or something.

And yeah, my opinion on this game is going bad real quick. But I'd at least like to show off the endings. If I lose the will to do it, I'll just start skipping more of the route itself and just show the endings. I spent like a year on this already, I need to get to the payoff at least.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
After following the Doki Doki Literature Club LP, I actually have to admit that my appreciation for this game has grown. The characters in Shira Oka are mostly anime/dating sim stereotypes, but other than Aya (and Hiroshi half of the time) they're generally pleasant and I've become interested in their storylines. The art is kinda wonky but it's kind of amazing to me how much effort has been put into the game as a whole. As long as this LP keeps going I'm happy to follow it, so do whatever you need to make it worth investing time and effort into on your side of things.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well it's good you secured your copy. Meanwhile I'm just trying to find and run the most literal worst combo of dudes through the tree in eo5. Honestly, that's completely understandable dude. I've seen lp burnout before and this one, while charming as hell in it's own goofy way, forces you to drag it kicking and screaming all the way down.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
mayBE IF THIS GAME HAS A GODDAMN SKIP BUTTON

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seriously, why there's no auto-skip is a mystery, it's not even that difficult to program in Ren'Py

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
In renpy you don't have to program skip, it's built in.
but iirc this is not a renpy game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gegi posted:

In renpy you don't have to program skip, it's built in.
but iirc this is not a renpy game

Yeah, it's totally custom. But even PC88/98 VNs had fuckin' skip buttons, goddamn.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I wish stats wouldn't decay so easily once you'd hit 100. Not super sure why this bugs me.

Monday, October 15

It's been a while since our last update, took me a while to remember what the AI even was.

: But I haven't really helped much.

: Are you kidding? Don't be ridiculous!

: Er...

: Believe me, I couldn't do it without you. You've helped me so much. I'm very grateful...

Game: Suzu lets out a large yawn.

: Hey, are you tired, Suzu?

: Kinda, I haven't been sleeeping well lately. I stayed up all night working on the project... but it's worth it, right?

Wednesday, October 17

: Lorde! Could you please do me a HUGE favour...?

: Sure, what's up?

: She's in the hospital? What happened?

: I do not know yet. I just got the call from her parents... But I have to go meet my father, and visiting hours will probably be over by the time I am finished. Please tell her how sorry I am. And tell her I will see her as soon as I can, I promise.

: Ahh, alright. Sure, I'll go visit her now.

: Thank you so much, Lorde.

How are we always the last to hear about things?

: Hey, Kiku told me you were here. She says she's sorry she couldn't come, but she needed to meet with her father about something.

: Oh... alright.

: So, what happened to you? Are you okay?

Ooh, plot.

: Who doesn't?

: Well, I was just looking at video games at Midori when the wall of the store got smashed in and collapsed on top of me!

I should really count how many CGs there are in this game at some point.

: I heard this loud crashing sound and this weird-lookin' girl with a mallet runs in through the hole and just starts taking things!

: What did she look like?

: Er, sorry...

: Thanks for coming to see me, though. I've been going CRAZY with boredom up here.

: You're welcome. I hope you get better soon.

: I hope so too, thanks!

There's actually a Trivia section in the extra's part of this game. I've never really looked at it in any depth since most things are either explained or easy enough to infer.

Thursday, October 18

: Yeah, some crazy girl smashed the wall in.

: Oh, really? Wow... I guess that's why their phone message says they're closed indefinitely.

: You didn't hear about it? Aya is in the hospital because of it.

: She IS? Oh no... I hope they catch whoever's doing it! I'll go visit Aya in the hospital tonight... By the way, do you know of any other electronic stores nearby?

: No, sorry... I don't.

Only one electronics store in town? I guess Shira Oka's a pretty small place.

Friday, October 19

I hope I do well on this...

Game: You notice while taking the test that Suzu seems off in another world. Her eyes are focused forward rather than on the exam, and she doesn't seem to be writing much of anything.

Suzu has been acting awfully weird lately. And she didn't seem too concerned about the whole thing with Aya.

Don't remember if this is actually a test or just a random quiz. Doesn't really matter though.

I still love our 1 point of Fashion.

Monday, October 22

: Oh?

: Kiku was there, too. She seemed even more upset than Aya was. Aya was just MAD. Kiku kept asking her about the person who did it, and Aya told her [the] story, but Kiku kept wanting more... *sigh*

Oh hey, a missing word.

: Are you okay? You seem tired?

: I will see you. Alright? Right. Bye.

Must be possessed by a ghost.

Wednesday, October 24

Everything being split into little events means I have to note every day. Oh well.

: Really? Neat, let's hear about it.

: Well, see, I started working on a happiness module first. Here, take a look at my notes! And I decided after that I'd-

: ...

: Suzu? Are you okay?

: Hey, SUZU! Suzu!

Game: You shake her gently, and she seems to snap back to normal, picking up where she left off, as if nothing happened.

: -make the sensor able to tell when it'd been hurt.

Glad you're asking this question, Goon.

: huh? What do you mean?

: You don't remember...?

: Huh?

: Um... never mind.

Maybe she's just tired.

goon no

: Oh... alright. You're acting rather strange, Goon-chan. Maybe you should go see the nurse.

Me?!

Can't believe we got burnt by Suzu of all people.

blah blah quiz marks who cares

Well, I guess these two do.

Tuesday, October 30

: Not since yesterday at school. Why?

: What?!

: I'd never ever seen the inside of that room until yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before... And I can't get in touch with her! I called her phone, I went to all her favorite places, I waited at the garage, nothing...

: What about that AI project she's been obsessing over lately?

: I don't remember seeing it in her room, broken or otherwise. I did find this, though.

Game: It seems to be a note of some kind, but the handwriting is so illegible that you can only make out one or two words.

: Odd...

: I'm going to ask around. I'm sure her parents must be sick with worry. Let me know if you hear from her...

Huh. We know about most people's parents. We just don't know about Kasumi, Yui and Suzu's parents. Although we never talk to Yui or Kasumi, so that doesn't really count for much.

On the topic of Yui, she's gone missing again. This will always happen if we're not on her route.

Friday, November 2

: Oh my, another building was broken into last night.

: Another one?

: But this one's different, take a look.

Game: She presents you with a newspaper article, complete with photographs.

: Sounds like whoever's doing this is getting more and more extreme.

: But it says very little was taken, if anything. The place just looks ransacked... Maybe they couldn't find what they wanted...

: It sounds similiar to the incident Aya was involved in...

: Thankfully, no one got hurt this time. Still, this is all very worrisome... Not to mention, Kazuki told me that Suzu's gone missing! Oh dear... What on earth is going on these days?!

: I don't know yet, but I hope we get some answers soon...

So Suzu's been missing for a few days now.

Monday, November 5

: Hey Rena, what's up?

Thrilling.

: Really? Why?

: Oh, to visit family. I wanted to go too, but they said I have to stay in school. I guess they're right.

: I'm sorry.

: It's okay. They'll have fun, I'm sure. I asked them to bring me back something interesting that I can use to make stationery.

Last time we spoke to Rena was... last update?

Huh, I guess not updating for a month will do that to you.

Friday, November 9

: Hiroshi? What are-

: Lorde. Were you with my sister last night?

I wonder what would've happened if I tried to organise a date with Rena yesterday.

: No, not at all... why?

: Rena walked out last night and then never came home...

: Really?

: She said she figured out who the criminal was, and that she was going out to find this person. I thought she was kidding or being crazy like always, but now I'm worried... I called the cops, but they still haven't found any sign of her...

: Oh, wow...

Missing count's up to Suzu and Rena now.

Monday, November 12

: What? Her too?

: She was getting my toolbox for me while I was trying to fix the TV, and I heard her scream... I ran in there just in time to see her being pulled out the window by someone...

: Did you get a good look at the guy?

: And... she might've been younger than us. She seemed kind of short, but strong.

: You're right...

: You do?! Have you been holding out on us?

: Shh, keep it down. Please. We must speak in private.

: ...Huh?

Oh hey, it's been forever since we got XP.

Tuesday, November 13

I completely forgot about this part of the route. I only remember the bit coming up.

: Yeah, so what's going on?

: Let me begin with a brief history lesson.

Game: Hiroshi sighs impatiently, but waits for her to continue.

: My parents' company, MHI, had a subsidiary that was building robots at one point, I believe. When I was young, I remember seeing some plans for them. They were designed to pilot ships in wars. But they suddenly stopped making them after a while.

: What? Why?

Hooo boy. That does not fill me with any confidence.

: You HEAR?

: Anyway, I think what has been happening is one of their robots is doing all this. One of the labs is only in the next town. Think about it. The items that were stolen are not things a normal human would take. There has been no missing money... The robot may be stealing items needed for performing updates to itself.

: I can show you the files if you do not believe me!

: Good, 'cuz I don't... besides, what does that have to do with Rena, Naoko, and Suzu going missing?

: I do not know, but... give me the rest of the week. I will get all the information you need.

: A couple more DAYS? Kiku, my sister's been missing for forever already!

: M... mine too.

: Hey, Kiku's trying her best.

: Lorde is right. Please, I just need some time. Your sisters will be just fine, I promise...

: Fine. But make it fast, alright?

Finally. We're getting to the important stuff.

Saturday, November 17

: Did we really have a choice?

: Well... I did some research and found some information you might be interested in...

One day, I'll get an actual script for the game. Then I won't need to transcribe everything.

until then, i'm just going to use a lot of images

: One summer, he got tired of all the bullying, and decided that he would build a life-sized robot to defend himself agains the other boys.

: So what are you getting at?

: Well, my parents' company found out about this robot. Then they managed to convince the kid to sell the plans to them so that they could mass-produce the robots on a grand scale. Not only that, but they made their robots even MORE deadly, so that these could be used as war weapons. But on the surface, the robots were made to look like ordinary, innocent girls, so that they could blend in with everyday society...

tldr; there are killer robots that look like girls

: You're saying that Suzu was designed as a war weapon?

: Indeed.

: Sounds incredible, I know, but it is true. They scrapped the idea at the last minute and repressed her memory banks.

: Why did they only repress them? Why not erase them completely?

: It was an expensive project. If they changed their mind later, they wanted the option of re-activating her. I suspect that her two seperate memory banks are trying to combine, causing malfunctions. She is probably not even aware of it.

: So what do we do now?

: We will need to find Naoko and Rena ourselves, and Suzu if we can. Suzu probably took them, and most likely... Only PART of her knows where they are.

That doesn't explain why Suzu kidnapped them but I'll wait until later for that explanation.

: This is serious. We should call the cops.

: So I imagine that going to MHI themselves is out of the question.

: Indeed. We must figure out something on our own. Let us all go look for them.

: We need to look around town, I imagine. That's where... er, I think... that's where most of the break-ins have been so far.

And that would be a good place to take a break.

Been a while but at least we're starting off in the interesting part.

and i'm updating again at 2am in the morning

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I have to admit, that was kind of unexpected.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sylphosaurus posted:

Well, I have to admit, that was kind of unexpected.

I know, why couldn't it be something reasonable like evil ghost Beethoven?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I..alright then.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I..alright then.

yeah that's all I got too.

jesus this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly I kinda figured? I thought maybe there was an actual Suzu who was swapping with her robot double. But I guess it's just robots building robots all the way down.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Robots love building robots. But holy poo poo that took a turn real quick.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You know, a lotta VNs would use something like this as a basis for their entire plot, not just this.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Good lord, it's the Series 5/5 that Philip K. Dick tried to warn us about

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I was expecting a robot with an AI that had somehow invaded parts of Suzu's thought process.

I was not expecting Suzu to be the robot. Geeze. Talk about the call coming from inside the house.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm just surprised they didn't go to the trouble of giving her fingerprints. That's a pretty obvious tell, guys.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Whoops, I disappeared in the middle of an ending. That's just how the end of the year is, I suppose.

: drat... no luck, huh?

: I did not come across anything, unfortunately.

: Me neither... *sigh*

: Same here...

: I'm so worried... what we're we doing to do?

Thrilling.

Wednesday, November 21

: ...I'm worried. Naoko could be sick or hurt or... or...

: Hey... do not give up just yet. Give it one more day, okay?

: Well... I did call the cops to help look for them, too...

Nice to see we did go for the sensible option. Pity it's not working.

: Clearly, it is up to us to find them.

Poor Hiroshi. Dude does care, he's just set up to be the enemy for most of the game.

Sunday, November 25

: Really? Where?

: Hiroshi, remember, what happened is not her fault! She did not know what she was doing...

: Suzu? Hey, Suzu!

Game: He nudges her slightly, cautiously.

: Is she alright?

This line is voice acted! We're getting to the important stuff now.

: Shh, calm down, Suzu... what's wrong?

: Hey, Suzu! Where's my sister? Huh?

: Wh... what? Rena? How should I know?

: Oh, come on! You took her, didn't you? Naoko, too!

: ...I don't know! Did I do something bad...? I...I think I might have... *sob*

: ...We have no choice, really.

: What are you talking about, Kiku?

: View her memories...?

: They are all stored in data files... we can browse them from a special lab computer and find out exactly what happened. Thus, we should be able to locate your sisters and save them.

Huh. What would you even need to record to be a good simulation of human memory?

: ...We... we can save Suzu too, right?

Thursday, November 28

: Ahh... this is... a little scary...

: Shh... stay quiet, please, or we will get caught.

For sneaking into a place where weapons of war are produced, this is surprisingly calm.

I'd link some sneaky MGS music but I haven't played enough of the series to suggest anything.

Game: Suzu looks more and more anxious as the group gets further and further into the building.

: I think this is the room.

Game: There is a flat table in the middle with surgical equipment and electronic devices strewn about.

: This isn't right, it...

: Suzu, hey, calm down.

: SHH, quiet down, Suzu!

Huh.

: Ahh... Th... this mode, it will know where your sisters are. We can draw it out of her, somehow...

: Suzu, everything will be okay. Trust us.

MHI Guards: All of you! Come with us peacefully and no one gets hurt.

Whoa, I don't have a picture for this guy!

: Do not worry about Rena and Naoko! I will go and find them!

Well, this is definitely new too.

: Alright. We need to get out of here. But we need a plan.

: Well... hehe. They didn't empty my pockets. I have a screwdriver. And some wiring.

: Let's see... Lorde, you got any ideas?

Gentlemen, I would be honored to break out of prison with you two.

: Kazuki, can you get to those screws out there?

: I thought of it, but I wouldn't be able to get it all the way. The door would just be loose, not off.

: ...Hey, maybe... if you can get it loose, I can ram it open.

: Sure, we can give it a try.

: Alright! Let's go for it.l

Game: Kazuki quickly loosens the screws on the door. Then with all his might, Hiroshi rams shoulder-first into the door. Once, twice, three times...

: Damnit... hold on, let me try it again.

Game: Rubbing his shoulder for a moment, he motions for you and Kazuki to follow.

: Come on, let's get out of here before those morons find us!

: But... we gotta find Suzu first.

: ...What?

: It wasn't HER fault she was doing bad things! We gotta go save her...

: ...Well...

: Hiroshi, she's my best friend! We can't just leave her here!

Game: Miraculously, you pass by the lab where Suzu is lying motionless on a table, and the door is wide open.

: How do we turn her back on?

Game: Kazuki looks around the room frantically.

: There's probably an activation key we need to find... something like... like this!

: ...Ahh... Kazuki?

: Hiroshi and Goon-kun are here, too.

: Yo.

: Suzu, are you alright?

: What's with the alarms?

Nothing too important.

: ...Listen, you gotta shut me back down! I can't believe I was the cause of all that damage in town!

: Like... break beyond repair?

: It erases my memory fully. It'll be fo the best. Please, Kazuki!

: Kazuki, let me see the key.

: What... er... what are you going to do?

: Don't worry, I wouldn't do that.

Game: He reluctantly hands you the key.

The only things Goon kills are demons.

: Huh?

: We can try to fix you, Suzu. That other part isn't you.

: Are... you sure?

:toot:

: Yeah!

: Save it for later, guys.

Pretty good day, all in all.

Saturday, December 1

Game: He assures you Kiku has located Rena and Naoko, but says it is too dangerous to talk or meet at her house. You make plans to meet him in a few hours at Kirin Park.

: Naoko, Rena! You're alright!

: Yes, they were hungry and tired, but Kiku fed them and now they have had a chance to rest...

: Rena! Rena, I'm so glad you're okay! I was so worried about you.

:3:

: Big brother, I missed you so much!

: Kazuki-chan, I hope you didn't worry too much... you've been eating right, haven't you?

: Sis, it really wasn't on my mind...

: I'm SO sorry, everyone! I didn't mean to do all this, I swear!

: It's alright, dear. Kiku told us everything.

: I... I think, you know, that I can fix Suzu so this won't happen again. I took a look at the plans Kiku showed us in the lab. I think I can figure out a way from that.

We're not quite done yet. Got a bit more left to do.

Sunday, December 2

: What, like, play operation on her?

: W-well... I've modified game systems and computers before...

: But she's... a person, not a computer!

: Heh, she's kind of both, right?

Heh.

: Hiroshi, that's so insensitive.

: No, he's right, kind of... anyway, I KNOW I can fix her.

: Oh my, I hope she'll be alright...

: I hope so as well...

Here's a stat check, I assume it's a fail if you don't pass a certain Science/Math threshold.

: Of course. Grab some tools, and let's get to work.

Kazuki once again proving that he's the one who gets poo poo done.

: Yes, that's a good idea. Come on, everyone.

: Suzu's resting in the other room. I'll go get her.

: Okay.

Game: Kazuki knocks quietly on a door in the back.

: Suzu, I-I'll need you to lift up your shirt a little, since the panel is in the front.

: Okay!

Game: The two of you work on Suzu together, being very careful not to damage her delicate circuitry. Finally, Kazuki calls everyone back in with the results.

: Where's Suzu-chan, dear? Is she alright?

: Maybe she can't be fixed after all...

: It's not that! I just don't have the proper equipment to do this right. We need to get her into a real lab.

: I see...

: You are not suggesting we go back into the MHI lab, are you?

: I don't know. But I honestly think that's our best hope.

: Oh dear! From what you told me, that place sounds dangerous!

: Not to mention the fact that they increased the security drastically, after our little stunt the other day.

Step 1: Break out of jail
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Break into jail

: Listen, I'm getting a good feeling about this, guys... I really think you could do it, if you're lucky.

: It will require much more than luck to get past security. This will be a nontrivial operation.

: We have to try to think of something...

I knew we kept you around for a reason!

: Kazuki, you should figure out exactly why it didn't work today, and what you plan to do differently once you get in there. Lorde and I will act as lookouts while you're doing your thing.

: Sounds good to me.

: Kiku, you'll work your magic again and find a way to get us in.

Game: Kiku opens her mouth as if to protest, but changes her mind and says nothing.

: And Kazuki, tell Suzu not to go crazy again until we can get this taken care of. Got it?

: I'll tell her to try, but I don't think she can control it.

: Naoko, Rena, you two should just rest up, and try to regain your strength after your ordeal. We may need you to bail us out if something goes wrong once we're in there.

: You can count on us, big brother~! Ooh, this is so exciting!

: Dangerous is what it is! Oh dear, I do hope we are doing the right thing...

And I'll see you all again when I get around to updating next time. Hopefully, it won't take a month this time.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How is the zombie Mozart path more tame than this. If only this game had a skip function.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Shira Oka: There is always more and it's always weirder.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Come ooooon robot clones plot for the surprisingly easy to recover girls.

Go full Snatcher, Shira Oka. Or something more crazy, if possible.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oh so this is Shadow Complex now. okay

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How is the zombie Mozart path more tame than this. If only this game had a skip function.

Endless swarms of paramilitary guards are easy to foil, though. You just need, like, a cardboard box and a knife.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Right, so where were we again?

Monday, December 3

Wait, is school over?

: Just open the door and waltz right in.

: Come on, we have no time for joking around! Tell me you have a better plan than that!

kiku what did you doooo

: How did you manage that?

: Most of the security staff have been sent there to help clean up the mess. It will be better if none of you know the details.

: I see...

: As for the remainder of the guards, let me go in first to, uh, "work my magic", as you say.

: Thanks, Kiku. I knew you would come through for us.

: That means a lot, coming from you, Hiroshi. Thank you. Now please wait right here, everyone. I will be back shortly, if all goes according to plan.

Game: She takes a deep breath and walks confidently into the building.

: I hope she'll be okay...

: I just hope there aren't too many of them left...

: Yeah...

Game: The three of you glance at one another nervously. Ten minutes later, Kiku returns with a badge in her hand and gestures for all of you to follow her.

: How did it go in there?

: Well, there were a few more guards remaining than I expected, but I took care of them.

: Well, I did not hurt them, if that is what you are thinking. Not permanently, anyway...

It's good that she's on our side...

: Alright, let's go. Kiku, you lead the way. I'll go next, in case there are any new guards that need to be taken care of. Then Kazuki and Suzu, you two go next. And finally, Lorde, you take the rear.

: Got it.

: This way.

Game: She walks briskly ahead, not looking back to see if the rest of you are following. Finally, she leads the group to a familiar room.

: Kazuki, it is your turn now to work your magic. We are counting on you.

: I-I'll do my best!

Game: He looks around to familiarize himself with the setup in the room.

: Please hurry. I do not know exactly when the guards and agents will return.

: Understood, Suzu, go lie down on the table. Goon-kun, I may need your help for this.

: Sure, just tell me what you want me to do.

Game: Kazuki gestures toward a machine in the back.

: We can do this!

: I'm ready!

: Er, Suzu... I-I was wondering if you could take off your shirt this time...

: Okay!

: S-so that I can get access to the panel, of course!

: Teehee, I already said I would! It makes complete sense. Why do you look so nervous?

: I-I am not! What are you talking about?!

: Haha, it's okay, Kazuki...

Game: Kiku clears her throat pointedly.

Game: Kazuki works quickly and efficiently, giving you precise orders every once in a while.

There are so many stat checks I've completely forgotten about.

Game: After about twenty minutes, he turns to you and smiles.

: Whew, I think I've got it! Let me just run one more test to be sure...

: That's great!

Game: After a few more minutes of probing and testing, he nods with satisfaction.

: Yep, looks like that'll do it.

Game: He replaces the access panel and restarts her consciousness.

: That's a good sign.

Game: She looks around the room as if for the first time.

: My head doesn't feel like it's filled with clouds anymore! Yay! Thanks, Kazuki!

good job, minion #2

: Er, Goon-kun helped too...

Game: She rushes to your side and gives you a hug as well.

: Thanks for your help, Goon-chan! I knew I could count on you!

: You're welcome.

: Yep, just finished.

: We can celebrate when we get out of here. Come on.

: Sounds good to me.

MHI Guards: Who's there?! Stop where you are! Intruders!

Game: But they are too far behind, and soon your group has made it outside, laughing with relief at your escape.

Huh, we were skipping school.

Wonder if you can fail the escape. And the event finally ends.

Wednesday, December 5

: I really want to apologize to all of you... Naoko, Rena, I'm sorry for kidnapping you...

: It's alright, dear... you didn't know what you were doing.

: And you're all better now, that's what's important!

: We couldn't stay mad at you, Suzu-chan. It wasn't your fault.

: You mean it? That's good...

: Hiroshi, and Kazuki? Annd Goon-chan.

: No problem, Suzu. Of course you knew I'd help you, right?

: Geez, Hiroshi... Well, ahh... thanks, Suzu.

: And thank you, Kiku.

: No need to thank me. I just did what needed to be done, really.

: Are you kidding, Kiku? Without you, we couldn't have EVER gotten there!

: Yeah, you did a lot of good. We couldn't have ever gotten our sisters back without you, either.

: Yeah!

Thus began Shira Oka 2: Revenge of MHI in which we spend the entire game running away from MHI and their army of Metal Gears.

: Psh, knowing you, I'm sure we'll be fine. We can cross that bridge when we get to it. IF we ever get to it.

: Oh, and... thank you, Goon-chan.

: Heh, Suzu, you sure your memory's okay now? You already thanked him.

: No, no. I have a special thanks for Goon-chan!

: For me? Why?

Shira Oka went from tedious school life to saving a robot's life pretty fast. That's the appeal.

Friday, December 7

This wouldn't be happening if you didn't cut class, Goon. :colbert:

Well, at least everything seems better with Suzu. Aya's still in the hospital.

Huh, I thought she would've been involved in Kiku's disturbance.

...So what did Kiku even do for that then?

Game: You do everything you can, though, to finish the test and turn it in.

Monday, December 10

: Hey guys!

: Aya! I'm so glad you're okay!

: Are you mad at me? I wouldn't blame you if you are...

: No... not really.

: Really?

: Well, she WAS.

: Oh, that's good...

: You're welcome!

: Heehee, not modest, are you? We'd miss having Suzu around, that's for sure.

: Teehee!

: What about Hiroshi? He helped too, didn't he? I'll have to go thank him too.

Game: Kiku heaves a heavy sigh, shaking her head hopelssly.

: What...?

: What's THAT supposed to mean?

No comment.

Wednesday, December 12

: Yeah?

: That emotion system I was making... well, it was meant for me.

: What do you mean, for you?

: Well... I wanted to be more like everyone else. So I was trying to give myself emotions, I guess.

: But you do have emotions already, Suzu.

: I do?

: Of course you do.

: They could be better...

: No they couldn't. I like you how you are.

Been a while since we got some XP.

Friday, December 14

Things are starting to get better, but I don't think I'm in the clear yet. Until then, nothing else matters!

Have I mentioned that all endings skip over finals? It's been like a year since I started this LP, I can't quite remember everything.

Well, nothing surprising.

Sunday, December 16

: Can't wait to hear this excuse...

: It's not an excuse! It happened for real!

Game: Having talked to Kazuki earlier in the week, you two decide to show Suzu how much she is truly appreciated. And what better way to do that than to spend a Saturday out shopping with your best friends?

: So where should we go?

: Ooh, I wanna see if there's anything new at the arcade! Come on!

Mood, Kazuki.

: She seems to be enjoying herself.

: She does, doesn't she?

: I'm glad. It's good to see her smile again, after being through so much.

: We all went through a lot, but we pulled through.

: We sure did. It'll be nice going back to our regular lives. I think Suzu's really coming to terms with what she is. And the fact we'll always be around for her and accept her as one of us.

Wonder what they're worried about.

Man on Radio: Take her out.

MHI Agent: Roger that.

Game: Three shots are fired from somewhere nearby, soaring through the air, you feel the wind as they whiz right by your head. You lift yourself up from the ground quickly, Kazuki is lying facedown nearby, and Suzu is nowhere to be seen. You remember pushing her out of the way after hearing the first shot, and seeing a bullet hit her shoulder as you both fell to the ground.

: Ahh! What's happening!?

: Kazuki's on the ground!

: Where's Suzu?

: Are you okay, Kazuki?

: Yeah, I'm fine... I just got so startled, I tripped over my feet...

: At least you're still alive.

: What about Suzu? She looks wounded!

: I don't think so... look how fast those guys are retreating.

: All internal systems optimal. And it's all thanks to you, Goon-chan.

: I would have undergone permanent deactivation...

Game: As you kiss Suzu, she slowly morphs back to her usual form.

: You saved my life again, Goon-chan. I don't know how I can ever repay you...

: Don't worry about it...

: What do you say we go home? I think I have had too much excitement for one day.

: Too much excitement for the entire year, even.

Well, uh... That was a thing.

Monday December 17

: What's going on...? Did someone get hurt?

: I do not think so... they seem excited, not upset...

Game: Suddenly, the door slams open and the crew rushes in, focusing on Suzu. "Are you Inoue Suzu?" "Is it true you're not human?" "Suzu! Suzu! Over here!"

: Ahh... ye.... yes, I'm Suzu... wh... what?

Game: The reporteres clamor over each other excitedly to speak with her, before she is protectively ushered from the room.

: ...Heh. I thought this might happen.

: What?

: Somebody leaked.

: Is she going to be okay?

: Oh, more than okay... Now the whole world will know about her and MHI won't be able to touch her without serious repercussions.

Well, that's a wrap for Suzu's route. Click here to see the ending with my least favorite song in any credits scene ever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Okay yeah, robot girl sure. Wait, what.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

My only response to that is "the art on those CGIs is significantly better than the stuff we've seen thus far"

Throughout this whole sequence this was in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2eUGISZpk

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Well, that was the most subdued lab break in and terminator resolution I've ever see-Oh, there we go"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
gently caress. Goon. You wasted your life playing video games before, right? You need to warn Suzu about what happens when you build a robot kid (vis. some other rear end in a top hat takes over between six and eight terrifyingly destructive robots) before it's too late!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait did that ending say that they are gonna make more warbot girls?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yes.

Alright, it seems like I've overestimated this game. I didn't expect us to be able to do Suzu's route, but dumping Fashion seems to be a sucessful strategy so far. But we're getting up to the point where we need to pick another stat to focus on. So I'm just gonna lay it out now.

Literature

quote:

These three kind of come as a bundle, being friends. Getting along with one of them means being on better terms with the others. Rena writes, Kiku will yell at you for doing poorly on Lit tests and Yui likes art/poetry in general.

I guess this hasn't really changed too much. Kiku's still fancy, Yui is still mysterious and I have no clue how to approach her. Rena's nice, we know her well enough.

Science

Well, I get to knock Suzu off that list. Now we're down to 2 options for Science.

I hate Aya but Kazuki's pretty cool. If we could manage Suzu's route, we should be fine for Kazuki's with the XP we have. Aya was easy enough to do in your first run, we just have to be a huge dick and it'll work out.

Art

Boo. It's pretty much the same as Literature. What was said there applies here. Although raising Art is easier and has the side benefit of raising your Fashion. We might be able to escape trash bug gucci if we do this.

Sport

haha we're good at sports right

I legit have no clue whether we can or can't do Hiroshi/Kiku's route at this point. Hiroshi's real hard to judge especially when half your routes have you going "gently caress off mate, you're a dick" to him.

Popularity

this is actually the most difficult route for Goon since his eternal friend, the trashbag, is not allowed

Trying to stay balanced and do this would probably lead to a reset but eh. Every loop we do, I'll skip more events we've seen (or that I think we've seen).

I should really get around to making that list of events we've seen but it'd be so much effort.

5 categories, on the poll. I'll follow the winner. Poll will be running until the next update, whenever that is. I'm a little more busy these days since work will be rearing again and I've started a romhack, but I'll manage.

Pick here.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I kinda wanna know what Yui's deal is, but it might be worth doing Rena. Plus she kinda grew on me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also hoping for a Rena run, although apparently most people want to go Lit instead of Art for that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Just get Aya's done and over with so we can safely dunk/ignore her for the rest of the LP

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Suzu and Rena are the two I've seen before so I'd rather not see them both in a row, personally. Seeing what's up with Yui would be interesting though. Or yeah, getting Aya out of the way might not be a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Robindaybird posted:

Just get Aya's done and over with so we can safely dunk/ignore her for the rest of the LP
Goon does deserve a break from bettering himself.