Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

good day for a bris posted:

Sisyphus the poo poo Weevil > Armagon the Street Shark

It's all I had! Did the SNES version have Triceraton?

Also, I had the pizza launcher vehicle. I can still hear the hum of the motor on quiet nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's all I had! Did the SNES version have Triceraton?

Also, I had the pizza launcher vehicle. I can still hear the hum of the motor on quiet nights.

War looks a bit like a Triceraton, but wiki says he is one of the four horsemen from an Archie Comics story.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/War_(Archie)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SlothfulCobra posted:

The 2003 show I enjoyed most, probably because it was what I watched as a kid. I watched a few episodes of the old show back in the older days of youtube when you could just find old TV shows unedited, and it was about what you'd expect from an 80s kids' show. Then I watched an episode from one of the later seasons and it was crazy, they were all in some kind of resistance movement in an alien-occupied futuristic New York? Not particularly any better, but it filled me with wonder as to what the hell happened in the earlier seasons to get to that.

Power Rangers happened.

No, really. When Power Rangers debuted, it completely took over the space the TMNT held up to that point. Toy sales were down and the cartoon ratings plummeted. The cartoon staff was desperate to get back even a fraction of what they had before, so they did all kinds of insane things to try and catch people's attention. Shredder and Krang were written out and a new major villain took their place. The Channel Six news building was blown up and everyone inside died. None of the Channel Six characters appeared again except April.

Most importantly though?

The turtles began to mutant further, into these horrifying abominations. :gonk:

Needless to say, none of this worked. The show's ratings continued to plummet. No one was watching it and eventually it was quietly canceled.

I think it's safe to consider it a mercy killing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dexie posted:

Most importantly though?

Needless to say, none of this worked. The show's ratings continued to plummet. No one was watching it and eventually it was quietly canceled.

I think it's safe to consider it a mercy killing.

Holy gently caress. Why did you have to remind me that happened? :gonk:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Don and Mike can't wait for the sweet release of death

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I remember as a kid being surprised the show was still on. It had switched networks toward the end and I had lost track of it. I feel like I vaguely remember that mutation thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the very final episode of the show, the ninja turtles go get Krang's weird android body from Dimension X and use it to punch the new villain into a black hole.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Red Sky episodes are, like the Christmas special, not meant for human consumption.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Wasn't there a kid sidekick character that could transform into some kinda mutant ape thing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Most importantly though?

Meanwhile they mutated into handsome green animes in Japan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMfb60lc14

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as cartoons making confusing changes go, I remember being really confused when The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog introduced loads of new characters and stopped being fun and it wasn't until years later that I learned it had been replaced by SatAM Sonic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as cartoons making confusing changes go, I remember being really confused when The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog introduced loads of new characters and stopped being fun and it wasn't until years later that I learned it had been replaced by SatAM Sonic.

They actually ran concurrently for some time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whoever created that show has a lot to answer for.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like most people you appear to not know how Sai's work. They are mainly used as blunt weapons.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqwcrkd6Zfk

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

They actually ran concurrently for some time.

That was something I always thought was weird as a kid. A tv show with two almost completely different versions running at the same time. Like the syndicated TMNT episodes were so different from the episodes that were on CBS. Same with Darkwing Duck and Aladdin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

That was something I always thought was weird as a kid. A tv show with two almost completely different versions running at the same time. Like the syndicated TMNT episodes were so different from the episodes that were on CBS. Same with Darkwing Duck and Aladdin.

Also Ghostbusters. It usually has to do with time passing between when the syndicated episodes are finished and when they begin the weekly episodes. I have no idea about Sonic, though. That was just weird.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I caught an episode of Marvel's Spider-Man this morning and found it to be enjoyable. It was an adaptation of Spider Island with Spider-Gwen thrown in.

Is this show as a whole any good and worth watching? Also, why the gently caress did Netflix get rid of all the superhero cartoons and is there another streaming service I can find them on?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Also Ghostbusters. It usually has to do with time passing between when the syndicated episodes are finished and when they begin the weekly episodes. I have no idea about Sonic, though. That was just weird.

Or there's a show with almost exactly the same name, so when the local tv guide in the paper lists Ghostbusters my young self gets his hopes up since I thought it wasn't syndicated on any of the local stations, but when I turn to the station there's some Filmation piece of poo poo playing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I caught an episode of Marvel's Spider-Man this morning and found it to be enjoyable. It was an adaptation of Spider Island with Spider-Gwen thrown in.

Is this show as a whole any good and worth watching? Also, why the gently caress did Netflix get rid of all the superhero cartoons and is there another streaming service I can find them on?

I don't know the first but I do know the latter. Both DC and Disney (and thus Marvel) are making their own streaming services (because you can never have too many, right? :suicide:), and are suctioning off all their content to over there. I don't think either service has actually started though, so for now you're SOL

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TwoPair posted:

I don't know the first but I do know the latter. Both DC and Disney (and thus Marvel) are making their own streaming services (because you can never have too many, right? :suicide:), and are suctioning off all their content to over there. I don't think either service has actually started though, so for now you're SOL

Thanks for the info, TwoPair, and also gently caress conglomerates for taking their toys back home.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah the only conglomerate I want is Netflix to control and own everything.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Exactly! I think.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Yeah the only conglomerate I want is Netflix to control and own everything.

Hey if all I have to pay is one monthly fee, big brother can watch me all it wants.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Netflix already changed their objective from having a large catalog to having a catalog of their own, so even if they have the funds to fight the owner of the digital rights - which they probably haven't - they still won't do it because focusing on creating original content if their thing now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Everyone is just going to make their own service because that is the ultimately going to provide the most possible revenue. Of course, if everyone does this, however, the amount of money people will spend on streaming will be spread thin, lowering the potential revenue per service. Services will be shuttered, content will end up in limbo, and the biggest losers will be the viewers, no matter what.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's all gonna end up on piratebay anyways so ya know whatever its all good they can bleed themselves dry

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Everyone is just going to make their own service because that is the ultimately going to provide the most possible revenue. Of course, if everyone does this, however, the amount of money people will spend on streaming will be spread thin, lowering the potential revenue per service. Services will be shuttered, content will end up in limbo, and the biggest losers will be the viewers, no matter what.

Yeah, depending on what you're already paying for, all these different streaming things may already be more expensive than cable.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, depending on what you're already paying for, all these different streaming things may already be more expensive than cable.

quote:

So, let’s see, if you pay for Hulu Plus (which is now just Hulu, since they’re dropping their free tier) that sets you back about $8 per month. And if you go subscription free that’s $12 per month. And Netflix is another $10. And HBO Now is another $15. And obviously you’re going to get the new commercial free CBS, so that’s $10 per month. What are we up to? About $47 before tax? And then you toss on your high-speed internet bill, which you’re probably paying to the cable company anyway. Yeah, this whole cordcutter thing sounds like it liberated consumers alright, doesn’t it?

Yes? I mean, you're going to have a decent-speed internet connection anyway. AmazonPrime(Which everyone probably has already for all the other services they offer) and Netflix have a catalog large enough and that's updated often enough to be reliable, plus HBO Now for a month or so whenever a new season of your favorite show is done, then cancel it. That's much better, much more practical and much cheaper than cable.

Of course, the five finger discount option is always up there, so none of this is an actual issue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Essentially what's happened is that after cable companies have grown bloated and disgusting and complacent with their captive market who couldn't escape whatever price or lovely service their company set, consumers finally found another option. Streaming has its pros, but the main thing it has over cable is the fact that cable service is tied to lovely cable companies who everybody hates, but can't switch away from without expensive installation costs.

So streaming showed up, using the fact that any company can transmit its data through the internet regardless of who owns the lines and acts as the IP (like what phonelines became after Ma Bell got broken apart) to finally compete and provide service people like more. But of course, now that streaming is becoming the main venue for content distribution, all the old forces involved in making cable service what it was have come back. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody tried to do some weird bundling scheme.

So basically streaming is just the latest installment in a decades-long saga of corporate intrigue. The newest development may be the fact that primarily content-creating media companies are both big enough, and the costs involved in setting up an independent streaming system are low enough, that they can more directly pull out and do their own thing. These are the hazards of oligopolies and cartels.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Disney is probably in a unique spot, in terms of old companies, to really be completely self sufficient, now that it has all the 20th Century Fox assets. Universal wouldn't be outlandishly far behind them, but they are owned by Comcast, the biggest cable company, so lol there. CBS and Viacom are allegedly looking at a merger, and that could easily create another completely self sufficient content producing megacorp. WB could also do it, but lol. Time Warner (WB) owns HBO, which has been successful, but they are still seemingly acting completely oblivious. We know they are working on an app for DC stuff, but it still feels like a mystery which is a great way to get people excited to spend more money per month on your product.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

How does all this relate to Bruce Timm's Batgirl/Batman fetish in cartoon form?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

How does all this relate to Bruce Timm's Batgirl/Batman fetish in cartoon form?

Our wallets are Barbara Gordon and cable companies are the Joker.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Our wallets are Barbara Gordon and cable companies are the Joker.

:drat:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold. It's a bit rough, they try to stick a bit too many things in at once, and the Scooby gang never really fits in with all these superheroes or supervillains, but there's a bunch of everything that made The Brave and the Bold great.

I think it's also the first appearance of Detective Bullock within the Brave and the Bold universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ThatHashtagShow/status/961359441634451456

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Reads the blurb for Dr. Psycho.) :stonk:

So are they going for an Archer/Bojack Horseman direction with this show?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

just when you thought harley saturation levels were at maximum

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Making an adult cartoon about a character who originated in a children's cartoon is a strange, bold choice. I think this is gonna be bad. Then again, maybe we'll be surprised.

I wonder how they'll play the Harley/Ivy thing. In the comics these days it's very much a canonical romance, so you naturally wonder whether they're going to go in that direction in the show, or make a bunch of winking references to it but never pull the trigger.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Already the tone sounds all over the place.

The descriptors of the cast sounds like something from a kids show.
But Dr. Psychos one which revolves around a See You Next Tuesday gag* is something that can only fly on an Archer style show.

*= Arguably the most offensive word you can say in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean Harley's entire gimmick was being a children's cartoon character they used to deliver relatively subtle sexual jokes and situations, an adult oriented cartoon doesn't need to censor itself so much and just runs the risk of being crass and pointless