Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the harbor freight breaker bars okay? I know they replace their hand tools if they break, so I would think so. Is one with the adjustable angle head worth the extra money?

I've had a 1/2 drive 18 inch HF breaker bar for close to 10 years now. Haven't been easy on it either - I routinely slip my jack handle over the end to use as a cheater bar and/or beat it with a sledge hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't use mine often anymore but I've never had a problem with either my 3/8 or 1/2

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the 25" breaker with rotating half inch head is awesome. Friend of mine was working on brakes and broke his smaller Craftsman breaker bar trying to get overtightened bolts out. We whipped out the 25" Pittsburgh Steel and it cranked the bolts right off on nearly the first try.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
hell, I've dared many friends to break my bullshit HF 1/2" ratchet and none have succeeded.
I did have a friend snap a stud and dig a hole in his driveway by trying to reverse while leaving an HF impact socket and breaker bar attached to a lug on his Integra.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I snapped the head off 2 HF style ones in the same day breaking axle nuts loose. Admittedly, it required a 8ft cheater bar and a BFH. Replaced it with a 3/4 drive and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. I've beat it in every way imaginable. I call it thor. :3:

Still want a soft handled 3/8 breaker bar thats around 18" long though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elmnt80 posted:

I snapped the head off 2 HF style ones in the same day breaking axle nuts loose. Admittedly, it required a 8ft cheater bar and a BFH. Replaced it with a 3/4 drive and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. I've beat it in every way imaginable. I call it thor. :3:

Still want a soft handled 3/8 breaker bar thats around 18" long though.

Snapon makes a real nice one.
https://store.snapon.com/Breaker-Bars-Chrome-3-8--3-8-Drive-Soft-Grip-Breaker-Bar-Extra-Long-Handle-P891141.aspx

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And they charge accordingly. $35-50? Sure. A hundo? Fuuuuck that.

Edit: the mac one for example is half the price

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 27, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've abused the rotating head HF breaker bar too. Mostly to get axle nuts off with a big black piece of pipe slipped over it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have their 3/4 inch breaker bar because I got tired of breaking husky half inch ones. I have put a 4 foot pipe on it and applied about 200lb at a 5 foot radius. So I know it handles a thousand foot pounds (really, really rusty axle and pinion nuts) without issue.

I recommend it to anyone who isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Great, the 1/2” drive 25” rotating head bar was the exact one I was looking at.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A buddy of mine had a HF 1/2" that was about 3 feet long and named it "do or die." :haw: The end of it was bent, but it didn't break!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a one meter 3/4" breaker bar that gives zero fucks. It hasn't failed me yet, and hasn't, surprisingly, broken anything yet either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

I have a one meter 3/4" breaker bar that gives zero fucks. It hasn't failed me yet, and hasn't, surprisingly, broken anything yet either.

An oldie but a goodie:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are there any tricks to make my cheap HF framing nailer use an entire load of collated nails? It acts like it’s empty when there are 4 nails left, and loading another strip without emptying those 4 just makes it dryfire.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Are there any tricks to make my cheap HF framing nailer use an entire load of collated nails? It acts like it’s empty when there are 4 nails left, and loading another strip without emptying those 4 just makes it dryfire.

Bwahahahahaha.

Heh, no.
I've been through multiple pin nailers etc from them, they are all like that. Also, never drop it on its head, I've never seen cast aluminum shatter like that.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

An oldie but a goodie:

Addendum:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATSL7VE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IW6FPOQIG2TGT&colid=2TVW3PUYB1CR2&psc=0

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm going to start painting at my house soon. I'm going to need a ladder for this, and I'm thinking one of the multi-purpose ones will be best. It's kind of a toss-up between the 22' and 17' though. Any advice one way or the other? My gutters are kind of high (probably 12' off the ground), so I'm kind of thinking get the 22', and get as much as I can out of that. Space is a bit limited in the garage, so it'd be better to have one than a bunch.

Here are the two I'm looking at: Gorilla Ladders 17' and Gorilla Ladders 22'.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I use 14’ones at work, and they are awesome and, useful, and great. They are also heavy, and I’d imagine the 22’ one is probably heavy enough to make most people not want to use it.

Do you have high vaulted ceilings or entrance stairs that would require this kind of ladder? Besides the fold out max length, their big use is for stairways since you can lengthen just one side.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 22' little giant that's basically the same thing and it works great but the weight is pretty annoying when I'm using it in short mode around the house. For me, I think the ideal would be to have the little giant and a lighter 6' fiberglass a-frame for when I don't need the height/adjustability.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
A 6’ a-frame is pretty much the perfect in home ladder. Tall enough to comfortably reach light fixtures while keeping tools high enough to grab. Pretty light, and a base spread that doesn’t take up the size if a small boat.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
250 lb aluminum 6 footer covered 99% of my house. I did borrow a little giant for the vaulted entrance you find at the entrance of most split level homes.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

powderific posted:

I have a 22' little giant that's basically the same thing and it works great but the weight is pretty annoying when I'm using it in short mode around the house. For me, I think the ideal would be to have the little giant and a lighter 6' fiberglass a-frame for when I don't need the height/adjustability.

This is the combination I have and it is a good combination. Agree with everyone else that the combo ladders are noticeably heavy. Raising it into position at the full 22 ft length can be a challenge.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have a full complement of ladders, but the 6' gets the most use and is the only one that lives in the house.

Personally I'd say go for fiberglass with any A frame... At some point it will be used for messing with electrical. Aluminum ladders are for painters IMO.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Little giant's are awesome. Waiting for my local Costco to have them again so I can pick one up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a ladder that folds into a tall, narrow stick and it’s pretty great.

I don’t know if they have a generic name. GP Logistics and Telesteps are two brands that I see with that format.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

Personally I'd say go for fiberglass with any A frame... At some point it will be used for messing with electrical. Aluminum ladders are for painters IMO.

I know the logic but I prefer to isolate whatever I'm working on then confirm it's dead with a non-contact probe then a multi meter. The idea of my choice of ladder materials being part of my electrical safety is a terrible idea.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

I know the logic but I prefer to isolate whatever I'm working on then confirm it's dead with a non-contact probe then a multi meter. The idea of my choice of ladder materials being part of my electrical safety is a terrible idea.

I agree with this, but at the same time fiberglass ladders are also generally a superior product. They tend to be way more stable and firm in the open position than an aluminum one. They are a bit heavier, but in this case the weight adds to the stability while still not being annoying to move around. So that plus the extra just in case safety of being non- conductive means I’ve never even considered an aluminum ladder for general handy work.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone uses a fiberglass ladder with the intent of it being the primary safety device just as you drive around without a seatbelt because you have airbags.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nitsuga posted:

I'm going to start painting at my house soon. I'm going to need a ladder for this, and I'm thinking one of the multi-purpose ones will be best. It's kind of a toss-up between the 22' and 17' though. Any advice one way or the other? My gutters are kind of high (probably 12' off the ground), so I'm kind of thinking get the 22', and get as much as I can out of that. Space is a bit limited in the garage, so it'd be better to have one than a bunch.

Here are the two I'm looking at: Gorilla Ladders 17' and Gorilla Ladders 22'.

I have something similar to the smaller of these that I used to get on my roof once and use it around the house. It's my only one and even being aluminum it's a bit too heavy to make it easy to move around.

Now I never, ever want to climb on my roof again, either. :v: Whatever requires that is a job I'll pay for, happily.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I don't think anyone uses a fiberglass ladder with the intent of it being the primary safety device just as you drive around without a seatbelt because you have airbags.

I never said primary, only part of.

I've also not used a fibreglass ladder that I can remember, so I won't argue against any feeling of stability.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I mean do what you like, but standing on a metal later and doing anything electrical weirds me out. Just because it's off right now, doesn't mean it can't be hot a minute later when you're hands are in it, for a variety of reasons you couldn't predict.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

I mean do what you like, but standing on a metal later and doing anything electrical weirds me out. Just because it's off right now, doesn't mean it can't be hot a minute later when you're hands are in it, for a variety of reasons you couldn't predict.
What the gently caress is going on with your LOTO? Sort that poo poo out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I have a big red card with "Don't loving touch" written on it that goes under the cover of the breaker box when I'm working in there.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

I have a big red card with "Don't loving touch" written on it that goes under the cover of the breaker box when I'm working in there.

When I worked at a camera store, folks were often casual about things regarding maintenance. I was very particular about two things. One, jewelry/watches/etc all came off when working on the machines. Two, we had a lock out / tag out box for a goddamn reason. It was great, it was a lockable chastity belt for a 220v plug.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

What the gently caress is going on with your LOTO? Sort that poo poo out.

Lock out tag out is great, but idiots still gently caress it up. Fiberglass ladders are a cheap extra layer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Since we're on this subject... I don't want to go into the details because it involved some dumb-rear end poo poo, but my friend did this on his house main breaker a couple nights ago. I think we almost got pretty hosed up :lol:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

Lock out tag out is great, but idiots still gently caress it up.

A friend's father was almost killed and is permanently disabled because of an idiot cutting off his LOTO lock and throwing the breaker back on.

He worked for a company that manufactures industrial coal crushing equipment and was troubleshooting a problem with a unit in the field at a power plant. Apparently the guy who cut the lock and turned the unit back on had been instructed weeks earlier on his first day on the job to "make sure these breakers are always on, because if they're off we lose [some exorbitant sum of money] per hour" so when he saw one of the breakers off with a padlock on it he found some bolt cutters and turned it back on.

This not only started the equipment grinding his leg but also dropped a literal ton of coal out of an automatic hopper on top of him. It took the fire department 12 hours to dig him out and he came very, very close to losing his leg, and cannot walk unassisted to this day (this was in the early 2000s.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It just loving started when the breaker was turned back on?! That's incredibly unsafe and I'm pretty sure a flagrant violation of ISO 13850. Not that coal miners care, but I doubt OSHA liked it much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jesus Christ dude, that really isn't good enough for an open work environment like a factory. Get yourself a proper padlock and tag station for people to use. You need to make it so people can't mess with stuff until everyone working on it has removed their LOTO kit.

EightBit posted:

Lock out tag out is great, but idiots still gently caress it up. Fiberglass ladders are a cheap extra layer.
True, but I'd regard is a very much a secondary concern when choosing a ladder.

Geoj posted:

A friend's father was almost killed and is permanently disabled because of an idiot cutting off his LOTO lock and throwing the breaker back on.

He worked for a company that manufactures industrial coal crushing equipment and was troubleshooting a problem with a unit in the field at a power plant. Apparently the guy who cut the lock and turned the unit back on had been instructed weeks earlier on his first day on the job to "make sure these breakers are always on, because if they're off we lose [some exorbitant sum of money] per hour" so when he saw one of the breakers off with a padlock on it he found some bolt cutters and turned it back on.

This not only started the equipment grinding his leg but also dropped a literal ton of coal out of an automatic hopper on top of him. It took the fire department 12 hours to dig him out and he came very, very close to losing his leg, and cannot walk unassisted to this day (this was in the early 2000s.)
This is a serious risk for any contractor, no matter how good your protocols are, you're at the mercy of the standards set by where you're on site. I've usually had the opposite problem, contractors who're used to a "just get it done" mentality, and don't like/understand that our place is very hot on safety stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

What if they're color blind?