Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Elentor posted:

Trip report: Janna is still as fun to play as ever and it's great murdering people with her. 8 seasons of good fun, always play Janna.

Always. Be. JANNA

As true today as ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Elentor posted:

Trip report: Janna is still as fun to play as ever and it's great murdering people with her. 8 seasons of good fun, always play Janna.

I should really try her but I'm afraid shes too complicated for Bronze ADC's. That's why I stopped playing Rakan.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I should really try her but I'm afraid shes too complicated for Bronze ADC's. That's why I stopped playing Rakan.

what? why? jannas main draw is that you can erase any dumb mistakes your adc makes by disengaging really hard

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The Dregs posted:

Janna is good because you don't need to rely on your team to back off, you can do it for them with your instant cast line stun and instant(?) cast giant knockback

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dregs posted:

If your ADC is doing nothing or passively farming just shield yourself and murder them all with Janna. If he decides not to be useless then you can shield him while you use him as a diversion to destroy them.

This is one of the few constants that has been preserved since the first season and unless they do some horrible rework on Janna that changes her toolkit this will probably remain to be true.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Janna is too complicated for my bronze partners, says man also in bronze trying to play Ivern support

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

henkman posted:

Janna is too complicated for my bronze partners, says man also in bronze trying to play Ivern support

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
what do you build on Janna now

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

what do you build on Janna now

trinity force

henkman posted:

lmao

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I don't know anything about her really, never see her in bronze. But in my experience a support who actually supports here just doesn't get poo poo done. I have been steadily climbing since I switched from Soraka to Zyra. I have nothing against her, I plan to try her. This is about ranked, of course. If it were normals I'd take her in the jungle or something. You guys have more specific tips other then "murder other team"?

Elentor posted:

If your ADC is doing nothing or passively farming just shield yourself and murder them all with Janna. If he decides not to be useless then you can shield him while you use him as a diversion to destroy them.

This is one of the few constants that has been preserved since the first season and unless they do some horrible rework on Janna that changes her toolkit this will probably remain to be true.

Gonna try it

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 4, 2018

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

henkman posted:

:five:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Always build Ardent Censer and Locket of the whatever. Get the free boots rune and be very fast

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

You guy's are being putos. I played him a few times in normals and I main Zyra. I stand by bronze ADC's not being able to handle any kind of support that doesn't either just murder the opposition or act like a healbot.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

janna starts getting really good (statistically) in gold+. the real menace of silver and bronze is brand.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The reason you don’t see Janna played in Bronze is because people who play Janna automatically escape bronze and usually silver too

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Dregs posted:

You guy's are being putos. I played him a few times in normals and I main Zyra. I stand by bronze ADC's not being able to handle any kind of support that doesn't either just murder the opposition or act like a healbot.

You're being more than a little difficult about this. People climb out of bronze every season, but it's goings be a lot harder if you get defensive about every suggestion and cling to bad habits based on personal anecdotes

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dregs posted:

I don't know anything about her really, never see her in bronze. But in my experience a support who actually supports here just doesn't get poo poo done. I have been steadily climbing since I switched from Soraka to Zyra. I have nothing against her, I plan to try her. This is about ranked, of course. If it were normals I'd take her in the jungle or something. You guys have more specific tips other then "murder other team"?

Sure, I'll give you a breakdown of why Janna is good and has been good in forever. Let's assume that your AD carry is present and being useless. He still gives you two tools: An automatic cleaning of the lane (which may suck but you can help him if that's the case) and the present, psychological threat that someone is there and thus an all-in is not a valid move given equal conditions between both teams. So let's see how you disrupt that balance.

When you're in lane the enemy ADC has to farm. During this moment he cannot, unless he cancels the animation or gives up a minion, counter your action. Since your ADC is farming as well you'll probably have the most spare time to harass your enemies with free AAs. Some champions, like Sona, can deal tremendous amounts of damage early on.

If you're on the offensive, then think of the other support as, say, a bishop covering the piece you're targeting. If you take it, the bishop will take it back. So you have the following options: You outmaneuver the enemy support and win the positioning battle, which is why positioning is so important, you fall back, you trade with the enemy ADC and take damage from the support, or you trade with the support instead to weaken his presence. The correct option is usually dependent on your positioning, the current state of the enemy lane (health pool, items) and the enemy champion composition.

Janna allows you to engage in-and-out to poke relatively fast and smooth and you can win a lot of trades because her shield both reduces incoming damage and increases your damage. Once you have W you throw it in for a slow and extra damage, and if you had the initiative then the enemy should be on the retreat because he'll be vulnerable to a full-on engagement by your ADC. If the enemy decides to leave, you can get a few more attacks in because he's slowed. If he decides to engage, you can outrun him because you're faster. If you have Q, then you can also disengage anytime you want, and most of the time the enemies are positioned in such a way that you'll be able to disengage from the two of them with a single Q.

Your skills are all answers to situations you'll encounter. Barring your ADC being so poorly positioned that he'll be harassed by the two of them and he never ever trades, your shield should be good enough to protect it from damage as well. And if your ADC is absolute dead weight and you notice that, you put yourself in the poking position so that they're on the defensive and don't get the opportunity to capitalize (or even realize) that your carry is useless.

As for every other situation you might run into, you have a move speed buff, a move speed debuff, an aoe knock airborne for disengage, an aoe knockback for disengage and heal. You use all those tools to poke when the opportunity shows itself and disengage as soon as the enemy decides to counter back. Do it until they die.

Also:

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The reason you don’t see Janna played in Bronze is because people who play Janna automatically escape bronze and usually silver too

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Rygar201 posted:

You're being more than a little difficult about this. People climb out of bronze every season, but it's goings be a lot harder if you get defensive about every suggestion and cling to bad habits based on personal anecdotes

I'm not really, everyone is clinging to the fact that I played Ivern in normals a few times. I am genuinely interested in trying Janna.

Thanks, Elentor!

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Elentor, you're a good person.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

The Dregs posted:

I'm not really, everyone is clinging to the fact that I played Ivern in normals a few times. I am genuinely interested in trying Janna.

Thanks, Elentor!

They're just ribbing you, I'm pretty sure.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
To make this a hat trick since I accidentally posted instead of edited, Morgana is a very fun champion in both mid and support roles.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

This is especially true now that Janna's got ways to bully people out of lane and gain an advantage. I know I mentioned the importance of engage/pick before, but it's less important at lower MMRs (mostly Bronze to mid Gold) because weird nonsense fights over nothing will break out all the time, and Janna's ability to either instantly stop the fight or ensure you come out ahead makes her a top-tier pick.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

To make this a hat trick since I accidentally posted instead of edited, Morgana is a very fun champion in both mid and support roles.

morgana is the most annoying champion to be playing against in league of legends, except maybe fizz.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Janna is a crap champ for idiots and I'd recommend playing something fun or interesting instead.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

pog boyfriend posted:

morgana is the most annoying champion to be playing against in league of legends, except maybe fizz.

How so?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

She has multiple powerful crowd control abilities, and a good Black Shield can easily turn a fight for her team or save a team mate from death

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Work Friend Keven posted:

Janna is a crap champ for idiots and I'd recommend playing something fun or interesting instead.

Janna, lulu etc are boring as poo poo. I know I'd probably climb my dumb butt out of whatever elo if I put time into janna but I'd rather engage all day every day

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Janna is actually extremely fun because you get to harass the poo poo out of their adc and then laugh as you can float around the map with 10% health and be still completely effective

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Easily and definitively crushing lane is the best part of the game, everything that comes after is gravy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Janna and Soraka are the best at tilting the gently caress out of an enemy team because you just press R and whoops guess my entire team is full health again now.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

strong bird posted:

Easily and definitively crushing lane is the best part of the game, everything that comes after is gravy

Ah, that most hated of Jedi Masters: Quinn-Goon Jinn

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

strong bird posted:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Alright played three games as Janna, first two weren't so hot, but the third went beautifully. I realized that I was best at constantly loving up the enemy's formation enough so that my team could clean up. I have to explain to my team that my shield gives AD, and that my ult heals, so please don't run out of it unless you have to. Earned an A+. After a few more games, I'll try her in ranked.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

The Dregs posted:

Alright played three games as Janna, first two weren't so hot, but the third went beautifully. I realized that I was best at constantly loving up the enemy's formation enough so that my team could clean up. I have to explain to my team that my shield gives AD, and that my ult heals, so please don't run out of it unless you have to. Earned an A+. After a few more games, I'll try her in ranked.

If you want a decent AD hmu. I like playing with goons

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just discovered you can place in a higher division then you finished in the previous season, so that's weird.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Janna is actually extremely fun because you get to harass the poo poo out of their adc and then laugh as you can float around the map with 10% health and be still completely effective

Yeah Janna is one of the more fun champions. Always be Janna. Plus you get to tilt the enemy team constantly. Speaking of which -

el dingo posted:

Janna, lulu etc are boring as poo poo. I know I'd probably climb my dumb butt out of whatever elo if I put time into janna but I'd rather engage all day every day

Roam constantly as soon as you finish T2 and pick fights, you can force anyone out of position into a fight with either your W or Q, or just do the good old flash R half the enemy team into yours and chain CC the squishie. Every time you see an enemy you can engage and you have multiple tools to slow them down. I mean, same as Lulu. Lulu even has the advantage of being able to put out damage making her unbelievably annoying to play against.

The beauty of having such ridiculous disengages is that you can play as aggressively as you want as well.

The problem with Morgana is that her shield is almost always available and it >nullifies effects<. If the enemy Morgana is good, that means she has a dispel that she can use on others on an extremely low cooldown compared to the alternatives, and compared to a bunch of ults her dispel can nullify. Even if the enemy is bad at prediction there's still a plethora of abilities that give you time to react.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

CubeTheory posted:

I just discovered you can place in a higher division then you finished in the previous season, so that's weird.

It's based on mmr, so you don't even have to do well. I went 4-6 and placed up a division, especially if you don't have that many games just about anything can happen with placements.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wish I could have a few games where I didn't do more damage than the rest of my team combined.

Against the team stacking the poo poo out of MR because I'm the only one damaging them.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Lose every game. See previous post about doing more damage than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
who's a good Katrina streamer to watch?

I want to get good at the champ but right now I am terrible